• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Spoilers spoiler spoiler spoiler. Pokemon Time line

Years
  • Here's a theory: Mega Evolution has only been recorded in Kalos and Hoenn, between which there are a few beliefs of its origin. My guess is the topography of each region had somthing to do with it. After all, they're two very different regions with very different ecology.
    And who has control over Hoenn's ecology? Groudon and Kyogre. We already have a theory about how they influenced Mega Evolution. But what about Kalos? Who controls (or at least monitors) Kalos's ecosystem? *drumroll* ZYGARDE! My guess is through its "secret power" mentioned in the Pokèdex, it could have the same influence on Mega Evolution as Primal Reversion had. Maybe, just maybe, Zygarde's anticipated form changes could be Primal Reversions too!

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    It's said that X&Y takes place at the same time as Black and White 2

Yet at the same time, I'm tempted to say that all of Gen VI is part of an alternate timeline

Hopefully Z will fix that

Heck, make Z like HGSS and allow you to journey to Hoenn set after the events of the Delta Episode, which, to me, takes place 3 weeks after the Groudon/Kyogre incident

Perhaps an option to "carry over" your ORAS data to determine which Pokémon gets mentioned in dialogue as well as determining who you face as the Champion of the League...after obtaining the badges, of course

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • It's said that X&Y takes place at the same time as Black and White 2

Yet at the same time, I'm tempted to say that all of Gen VI is part of an alternate timeline

Hopefully Z will fix that

Heck, make Z like HGSS and allow you to journey to Hoenn set after the events of the Delta Episode, which, to me, takes place 3 weeks after the Groudon/Kyogre incident

Perhaps an option to "carry over" your ORAS data to determine which Pokémon gets mentioned in dialogue as well as determining who you face as the Champion of the League...after obtaining the badges, of course
    It'll have to be a long time after the DE seeing how ORAS is before the events of Gen V as one can tell by the Unova ship and as you said XY are said to take place in the same time as B2W2 which is only two years after the ship was built.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    It'll have to be a long time after the DE seeing how ORAS is before the events of Gen V as one can tell by the Unova ship and as you said XY are said to take place in the same time as B2W2 which is only two years after the ship was built.

Long enough for Wallace to become Champion, Juan to become Sootopolis' Gym Leader and for Steven to sell a Villa and wander around the world

Heh

Let's see...3 years between Gen I/III and II/IV, an undisclosed amount of time between IV and V with an additional 2 years between BW and BW2/X&Y

A total of six or seven years for the entire series is my headcanon

Red is, to me, 17/18 during the PWT, since his overworld sprite got a little taller since HGSS (yeah, I'm aware that that is also due to better sprite work, but it makes it look like the characters actually age, which is nice)

Years
  • I think the next game will have a plot based around Zygarde and Hoopa and somehow we will be visiting looker in the battle frontier (as Z will most likely be set a few years later) and hints are alluded towards the BF being built. Z could be another gold and silver as we can start off in Kalos and go to Hoenn vice-versa with Juan as a gym leader and battle tents and Wallace as champion!

Some people will think this is a bit farfetched but knowing game freak anything could happen.
    Surprisingly makes a lot of sense when put together. There were rumors awhile back before oras that "Pokemon Z" would be the next game to come out(much like an Emerald)

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Now we'll have to wait and see what Pokémon does for 2015

I don't think there will be a 'main' PKMN game this year though. This is just my opinion, mind you, but I think it's too early to announce another 'main' PKMN game.
    X&Y were released on 2013 and ORAS were released last year. :/ So I think the third version (if there will be) for X&Y will be announced/released next year or two.

As for the timelines, I think X, Y, OR and AS all belong to this alternate timeline, while the others belong to the main timeline. But if that were the case, then the ORAS events would have happened first before X and Y. Sycamore probably was the first professor to decide to study Mega Evolution, and since mega stones came from Hoenn, Kalos probably only had a few stones lying around, hence why ORAS had a lot than XY.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
    Years
  • Zinnia and the Delta Episode- Pokemon Multiverse

In the OR/AS Delta Episode, on our second visit to the Mossdeep Space Centre, Zinna says something that suggests the existence of a multiverse in the Pokemon World. She says:

"My people know it. From generation to generation, we pass along the lore about the distortions in the world borne by the Mega Evolution mechanism. And about the existence of another worldhttps://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_Ruby_and_Sapphire_Versions, which we have long observed to be just like this one and yet not the same... That's right. A Hoenn region that's almost exactly like this one we live in. Filled with Pokémon and people like us. A world where maybe the evolution of Pokémon took a slightly different path, where Mega Evolution is unknown... A world where that war 3,000 years ago...never happened. A world where the ultimate weapon was never even built. And in that Hoenn of that world... What would happen if one day, out of the blue, a meteoroid appeared? What would happen to the people of that world, without the technology to destroy the meteoroid or the power to warp it away? ... Looks like it's beyond the power of your imagination."

Multiverse? That's impossible!! In May 2014, Toshinobu Matsumiya tweeted out an official timeline of events in Pokemon. I of course refer to this: https://archive.today/D9iPz

I don't outright dispute the validity of the timeline submitted by Mr. Matsumiya. However, I would like to point out that this is Pre-OR/AS and the Delta Episode might have just changed the game and altered the traditional perception of the established timeline. That said, I might have found a way to marry the established timeline produced by Mr. Matsumiya with the multiverse theory.

This involves at least 2 parallel timelines as described in Zinnia's dialogue. The first one being a world where Mega Evolution is known (let's call it the Mega-Verse), and the other being a world where Mega Evolution is unknown (let's call that Poke-Earth 1). These two worlds will have, for the most part, parallel events. However, Mega Evolution would be injected into those events in the Mega-Verse and Poke-Earth 1 would go on with business as usual.

Timeline for the Mega-Verse:

Pokemon Origins should start the Mega-Verse because it's based off the Classic Gen 1 games but with Mega Evolutions (Red has a Mega Charizard X by the end of it).

Omega Ruby/ Alpha Sapphire main story happens simultaneously with Origins (per the arrangement between FR/LG and R/S/E on Poke-Earth 1)

In the Delta Episode of OR/AS on the 3rd visit to the Mossdeep Space Centre, if the player has Steven's Shiny Beldum/Metang/Metagross in their party, Steven says:

"Hm… You know, seeing that white beauty there that you travel with… I'm reminded of the Legendary Pokémon Rayquaza, said to descend at the Sky Pillar. I once had a chance to see it face to face. Although, it was a long time ago now… The young man who battled against Rayquaza beside me… I wonder whatever happened to him and that black Charizard of his… Well, regardless–you must go to the Sky Pillar and see what waits for you there. I don't know what you'll find. Be careful."

Steven actually references the events of the Mega Evolution anime special Act II. This suggests that the Mega Evolution Specials (Acts I and II at least) also takes place either shortly before or around the same time as Pokemon Origins and the OR/AS main game.

The OR/AS Delta Episode will then be the last major event in the simultaneous Kanto/Hoenn time period before moving on to Johto or Sinnoh in any prospective Pokemon Origins Sequels or D/P/Pt remakes (as we all know, the events of D/P/Pt start shortly after the Lake of Rage incident in the Johto games).

For immediate purposes, lets assume that the events of B/W/B2/W2 don't exist in the Mega-Verse even though there is a Unova Region (we know this through in-game references). Since the Mega-Verse is in an alternate dimension, the events of X/Y are going on in the Mega-Verse whilst the events of B/W/B2/W2 are happening on Poke-Earth 1 (thus consistent with Mr. Matsumiya's presentation that B/W/B2/W2 and X/Y takes place at the same time).

Timeline for Poke-Earth 1:

The established timeline basically.

FR/LG & R/S/E ____3 yrs later____ HG/SS & D/P/Pt____Let's say 3-5 yrs later____ B/W/B2/W2

Since the original Gen 1 and Gen 2 games make no reference to the Sevii Islands or the other Regions, I have a theory that they exist in their own separate Classic timeline, but that's a story for another day.

Anyways, what do you guys think. Am I making any sense or am I just off on another tangent of my nonsensical ramblings?

Last edited:
    Years
  • I agree with most of your timeline. The only part I see differently is BW and its sequels, because of in-game quotes like you said.

My belief is very similar to yours: that for every generation's events, there are Mega timeline variations and non-Mega timline variations. The difference is that I think there is also a Mega timeline version of B2W2, as well as a non-Mega version of XY, all happening at around the same time as the playable B2W2 and XY.

I've said this before, but I think Mega Evolution may be what causes the existence of different versions. This is because of something Zinnia says, which you quoted already:

"From generation to generation, we pass along the lore about the distortions in the world borne by the Mega Evolution mechanism."

My theory is that some unknown event before the Kalos war and the first Primal Reversions in Hoenn caused the timeline to split, and then, when Mega Evolution was discovered in the Mega timeline, its use caused small distortions across the two timelines, which led to the different versions.

Also, I wouldn't worry if these games contradicted anything previously said by any GameFreak employee. Any discrepancies are probably just plan changes between statement and release. Although in this case I wouldn't say there are any, since the games seem to have actually happened in that order, only in different timelines.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Now we'll have to wait and see what Pokémon does for 2015

I agree with destinedjagold, I don't think we're getting a Main series game this year. I do think we'll get one next year. I say this as every generation since III has had a break mid gen at least in Japan (as International Gen III didn't have a break mid gen) 2003 for Gen III, 2007 for Gen IV, and 2011 for Gen V. Interestingly that's every four years...and 2015 fits that pattern coincidentally enough.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    I like that Mega Evolution exists in its own timeline; that opens up possibilities for new games or remakes

Would anyone really object to Gen I re-remakes? Firered felt rather unfinished, to be honest

Remake it and have Giovanni seeking to exploit Mega Evolution (perhaps he uses Mewtwo and its forms?)

Learning of a powerful Psychic-type, Giovanni seeks to capture and control it for profit

Sure, might not be original, but Team Rocket is the team that did it first

Spoilers spoiler spoiler spoiler. Pokemon Time line

"See, [player]? This is the power I control. If you want to save Pokémon, then hit me with everything you've got!"

Years
  • Note that I haven't watched this yet, but I will once I get back home (I'm currently at work).

It mostly talks about the same things we've been talking about in this thread.

He also proposes the possibility that not only each version, but every individual game pak, are alternate universes, which can be connected through the real-world Link Cable, just like the Link Cable in the Delta Episode would have connected the Mega timeline with the non-Mega timeline. I think it's a great way to explain trading between versions.

Also, as I understood it (English is not my first language), his theory for what caused the split timeline is AZ's choice of firing the weapon or not firing the weapon. In one universe, he does not fire it, so Mega Evolution is never discovered, and in the other, he fires it, creating Mega Stones and leading to the discovery of Mega Evolution.

I think that the split happened before that. Zinnia says that the Kalos war never happened in the other timeline, and that the ultimate weapon was never even built. There is also what we have discussed about Mega Evolution having different sources, and even different triggers as seen with Mega Rayquaza; this means that, even if AZ had not fired the weapon, Mega Evolution (as well as Primal Reversion) should still have been at least witnessed in the non-Mega timeline.

Corinton

Zodiac Assassin
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Jul 9, 2022
    So I just wanted to throw this theory out there, and you all can debate it and fight it all you want. But I think that the different timelines started from the very beginning of the Pokemon Games.

For starters, there was Red and Blue:
    They were parallel universes that REQUIRED contact with the other universes to completely finish (different species of Pokemon)
    They had the same characters, events, etc.
    They happen simultaneously.

Now Pokemon Yellow on the other hand is, as I believe, in a timeline of it's own:
    First off, it IS loosely based off of the Anime, with regards to Pikachu and how some of the content is handled.
    You get handed the starters.
    The characters are slightly different, as are the events.
    You can obtain more Pokemon than the other two games in a single playthrough.

And in Gold and Silver it's the same as Red and Blue, except for the order that you obtain Ho-Oh and Lugia.

In Crystal however, the character: Eusine appears. You practically get handed a battle with Suicune, with a bit of story there. There are other things but I'm a bit tired right now and would like to see what other people come up with for it. (Emerald has the extra areas and such like the Battle Frontier)
    The events are different enough between the first two game and the third game of the gen to support this theory. In which after the event of the final tri-gen (generation IV's Platinum) with Giratina's Distortion World the remakes restarted that timeline into FR/LG, where the Mega Stones were indeed real but didn't activate in Kanto or Johto, but emitted their power in Hoenn and Kalos due to Yveltal and Xearnes.

So my theory is this, in order for the timelines.
    Timeline A: R/B G/S R/S D/P B/W B2/W2
    Timeline B: Y C E FR/LG P HG/SS X/Y OR/AS.

Now feel free to pick at it and support or deny it.

Have a good day xD

Last edited:
    Years
  • So I just wanted to throw this theory out there, and you all can debate it and fight it all you want. But I think that the different timelines started from the very beginning of the Pokemon Games.

For starters, there was Red and Blue:
    They were parallel universes that REQUIRED contact with the other universes to completely finish (different species of Pokemon)
    They had the same characters, events, etc.
    They happen simultaneously.

I don't know if you've seen it, but the leaders from Teams Aqua and Magma actually talk about this possibility in ORAS. In Omega Ruby, Arche says that maybe, in another world, he and his team tried to awaken Kyogre; in Alpha Sapphire, Maxie says the same, but for himself and his team trying to awaken Groudon. This happens shortly after the player arrives at the Battle Resort for the first time.

It seems they don't actually believe in these worlds, but of course we know that there are actually two worlds (versions), where each of those things happen. So I think you're right about this; it has been like this since the beginning of the games, but only now are any characters actually referencing it.

Although I disagree with your timeline:

Timeline A: R/B G/S R/S D/P B/W B2/W2
    Timeline B: Y C E FR/LG P HG/SS X/Y OR/AS.

This is also because of something said in ORAS, this time by Zinnia. She says that she and her people have long observed a different world, and that in this different world, things went slightly differently: the Kalos war never happened and Mega Evolution was never discovered. This happens during the Delta Episode.

So one of the timelines would only have ORAS and XY, because those are the only games where Mega Evolution exists, and the other would contain all the previous games where Mega Evolution doesn't exist.

And good day.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    But that doesn't make any sense, because according to Game Freak's twitter account, XY takes place in the same timeline as Gen 3-5 games. What Zinnia is referring to may be a third timeline, since ORAS is its own thing, which could be either the original R/B/G/Y and G/S/C games (explaining how Dark and Steel types were newly discovered) or a different timeline all together.
    That wasn't Game Freak's Twitter account. That was the Twitter of one Game Freak writer, and he's not the one that decides everything. Also notice how he deleted that tweet. And as I said originally, it just meant that XY and B2W2 take place at the same relative point in time, it doesn't explicitly mean that they're in a single timeline (in the same sense that in the official Zelda timeline, both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess take place at the same time, but are confirmed to be alternate timelines of each other, both games taking place centuries after Ocarina of Time, where Wind Waker followed OoT Zelda's reality after sending Link back to his childhood leaving that reality without a hero, thus Ganondof was able to return unapposed, so the Gods flooded Hyrule which lead to Wind Waker; in the other timeline, Link's reality after being sent back to his childhood warned child Zelda about Ganondorf's threat, thus the Sages planned to execute Ganondorf but had to imprison him in the Twilight Realm instead because he survived his execution attempt, thus leading to Twilight Princess). Let me emphasize again that it is impossible for XY to happen in the non-Mega timeline because the story of XY could only happen in a timeline where the Kalos war 3000 years ago took place, and Zinnia explicitly mentions that the war never happened in the other timeline.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • That wasn't Game Freak's Twitter account. That was the Twitter of one Game Freak writer, and he's not the one that decides everything. Also notice how he deleted that tweet. And as I said originally, it just meant that XY and B2W2 take place at the same relative point in time, it doesn't explicitly mean that they're in a single timeline (in the same sense that in the official Zelda timeline, both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess take place at the same time, but are confirmed to be alternate timelines of each other, both games taking place centuries after Ocarina of Time, where Wind Waker followed OoT Zelda's reality after sending Link back to his childhood leaving that reality without a hero, thus Ganondof was able to return unapposed, so the Gods flooded Hyrule which lead to Wind Waker; in the other timeline, Link's reality after being sent back to his childhood warned child Zelda about Ganondorf's threat, thus the Sages planned to execute Ganondorf but had to imprison him in the Twilight Realm instead because he survived his execution attempt, thus leading to Twilight Princess). Let me emphasize again that it is impossible for XY to happen in the non-Mega timeline because the story of XY could only happen in a timeline where the Kalos war 3000 years ago took place, and Zinnia explicitly mentions that the war never happened in the other timeline.
    Pokémon XY made references to Blue and Team Plasma, and since you've used the Zelda timeline and acknowledged TP and WW taking place in the same time but in different dimensions, that means those references are only possible in the 3rd-5th Gen timeline, which according to you, the war never happened during then. That means the plot between ORAS and XY will be drastically different when Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh, and Unova remakes are involved, meaning no Team Plasma and such, since both plots in TP and WW are entirely different despite being in the same timeline in alternate dimensions. Also according to XY, Mega Evolutions were only said to be found in Kalos, and Fairy types were recently discovered, hinting that it's still in the 3rd-5th timeline thus explaining the Blue and Team Plasma references.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    Or maybe we'll get a game set before X&Y that has Blue Green and Team Plasma in it

Who knows

Zelda certainly loves jumping all over the timeline

Back