• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yume Tsuki

(/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
Years
  • Spriters Showcase Thread

100% scratch :D

Explosion

Free-Lance Spriter
    Years
  • Spriters Showcase ThreadThat was my first try at a mainly scrached sprite it took somwhere between 30-40 min. and i personally like it but really want constructive critisim
    EDIT: its a splice of slowbro and machoke but as you can see things had to be scrachted

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Spriters Showcase ThreadThat was my first try at a mainly scrached sprite it took somwhere between 30-40 min. and i personally like it but really want constructive critisim
    EDIT: its a splice of slowbro and machoke but as you can see things had to be scrachted
    Honestly it looks like a homosexual machamp... LOL

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2011
    I want to try my hand at scratching - but I wanted to start simple and use an existing sprite for reference. Eyeballed everything but the circle-ness though, (let photoshop do that part) from picking the colors of the shading to placing the pixels down...

First thought is, I should turn some of those lit black border pixels red, any other comment/critique? ^^ Just looking to improve here.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2014
    Spriters Showcase Thread

it's my first ever pokemon sprite I made today, I couldn't make the nose because I'm not sure,if anyone can help me with it or give me an example I'll appreciate it, also I have problems with shading so yarr, I'm planning to make fake mons any time soon but I suck with all things related to animals.

Years
  • @ Kajhera: Its good that you start simple, while learning to scratch.
    And scratching a voltorb is easy but then again, if you cant shade it aint easy.
    It's not bad, but not great either, like you said, some of the outline should be a darker red instead of black.
    The blackoutline is only used, when a darker shade is used on the sprite.
    You best watch some tutorials which are on the pixel art section.

@ Jhuh1995: It's shaded in a different style then the pokemon style.
    Might be because your new to this.
    It's really not that bad, you should also check some tutorials before trying to scratch something.
    Since your new to spriting, most people start with fusions and revamps before scratching.

Anyway I made a new sprite.
    It's not reallly done, shading could be better so.
    Spriters Showcase Thread

hope you like it :)

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2011
    Heh, thanks... I did check out a tutorial after doing this, tried to make an eevee, and failed somewhat spectacularly. ^^ I'll post my revised voltorb and attempted eevee anyway...

I ... really hate the eevee ... but ... I should probably post it anyway, for the sake of concrit on what I can try to not fail at proportions. :/ I used circles, but it seemed like the outlines changed size when I penned... Perhaps I should do penciling first for these sorts of things. In shading, likely attempted too much dithering, seeking to familiarize myself with the style.

Eep, scary bug. o.o (In a good way, it's a cool design.) It looks better against a cream background than some of your other sprites, probably due to color choice. ... Perhaps I should change my skin back to not-cream.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2014
    hmmmm how do u shade pokemon style?
    i checked the spiriting tut and it became like this, i dont understand why it doesn't have a black outline for a clear view i noticed in some that instead of black the outline is just merged with the color of what it's outlining,T.T so confusing

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2011
    Where the outline is lit up, it becomes a darker shade of the color it's on, rather than black. This helps maintain the lighting and makes it less harsh.

In terms of how to shade pokémon style, try blowing up a sprite of the style you're trying to emulate. The light source in battle sprites is generally from the upper left, as I remember from a tutorial ... You'll want several shades, precise number depending on the number of colors your style uses and ... some other things, but a color area often has at least 3: highlights, mid-tones, and shadows. If you're working in an older style with a more limited palette, you can use dithering (checkerboard shading) to stretch fewer colors into seeming like a larger palette.

Any of this helpful? I'm new at this myself, so a lot's parroting from a tutorial. ^^

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2011
    Um... if you're using Photoshop or GIMP, you could try fooling around with the gradients a bit, to get effects like the attached (one of my old creations for Squiby, uses spherical gradient from GIMP). It's not Pokémon shading and it's not really good to rely on, but... It looks kind of cool? *shrug.*

For some reason, I can't draw on some specific pixels using Photoshop ... :/ this being my only graphics editing software it's a tad worrisome. Anyone got ideas? Seriously, I'm having to go from one pixel, over the two I want to draw on to the next I can draw on, and erase what got in the area I can draw on rather than wanted to...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2014
    anyone have resources to sprites (trainers mostly) so i can fuse maybe i should save the scratch for later

Years
  • Um... if you're using Photoshop or GIMP, you could try fooling around with the gradients a bit, to get effects like the attached (one of my old creations for Squiby, uses spherical gradient from GIMP). It's not Pokémon shading and it's not really good to rely on, but... It looks kind of cool? *shrug.*

For some reason, I can't draw on some specific pixels using Photoshop ... :/ this being my only graphics editing software it's a tad worrisome. Anyone got ideas? Seriously, I'm having to go from one pixel, over the two I want to draw on to the next I can draw on, and erase what got in the area I can draw on rather than wanted to...

Wait... Don't you have MS Paint?

@ jhuh1995:

Check out The Spriter's Resource here or, for specifically Pokémon, PE2K's Sprite Resource is a valid option. Additionally:

google ish ur frend. :D

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2011
    No, I don't have MS Paint, I'm on a mac. Also, Photoshop should be sufficient for most any drawing needs... It's a commercial, paid-for program, and it not working upsets me. *sigh.*

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2024
    No, I don't have MS Paint, I'm on a mac. Also, Photoshop should be sufficient for most any drawing needs... It's a commercial, paid-for program, and it not working upsets me. *sigh.*

search for something called pixen. It works just like ms paint and has even more features.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back