• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Spriters Showcase Thread

How do you like it?

Looks like it's been ruined by an automatic resize.

Her irises are stuck right at the bottom of her eyes and it makes it look as if she's staring at her feet. They also don't have much in the way of anti-aliasing (anything to give them a rounded shape instead of the squares they are now) and the white parts of her eyes have no shading. Her left eye is never going to look good at an angle so don't try drawing it that way, and she has no lower eyelids defined on her face - having visible eyelids help the shape and look of the eyes a lot. Her facial expression would probably look a bit more natural if her eyebrows weren't so raised, too.

Rarely, even in HG/SS style, do you need to have solid black lines anywhere other than the actual outline of the piece, or in very dark places - while BW's style is refined with less use of black in the outer lines as well.

The shade used for most of her lines on the face isn't really dark enough - the face portraits usually use two colours when drawing lines on the face - one very dark colour to define the eyebrows/nose/mouth/etc and one that's only slightly darker to smooth and anti-alias those areas. The lack of outlines on the darker parts of her bow also muddle it up a bit.

Her ear and the hair on the side of her head isn't very well drawn, or shaded at all, while having two tones shading on her left shoulder makes it look pillowed. (Very rarely do the official portrait sprites have more than one tone of shading - and neither do they highlight the hair that much, instead they use strong, contrasting shading and lining to give it shape.)

Last edited:

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • Spriters Showcase Thread

Spoiler:

Spriters Showcase Thread

Spoiler:

Crit please.

Years

It's got personality. Like the wiggly smile. A little plain, being a bed sheet kind of ghost after all. The arm on the right side of the ghost looks flat like paper because it doesn't stick out from the body's outline and neither does it appear to come from the side of the body. Rather, it looks like it's wrapping around from the back since we can't see where it is attached. It's hard to make out the detail of the eyes, too, because of the black/red/black. If you made the pupils a more contrasting color (yellow? white?) they might stand out better and the eyes wouldn't look like bit red dots. The shading is from the top except for the white spot on the head which has the expected top-left source.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Lots of detail. Maybe even too much detail, but that's really up to you. It would be nice if we could see more of the eyes or rather see the eyes more clearly. You don't get as much sense of a light source on the top because it's a pretty even mix of light and dark green leaves. The over all design is pretty simple. Whether that's what you want I don't know, but if you want something more complex you might consider some kind of defining or focal point to the design, a mark or perhaps one or more large branches, or limbs.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years

Well, I think I'm steadily getting better :) .
    The eyes are what annoy me the most, so difficult.
    I attempted some anti-aliasing on the top of the mouth.
    This isn't meant to be a traditional sprite for a Pokemon game, just so people know.

Years

Lickitung evo based on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abura-akago
    The idea is that it licks an oil from lamps, that reacts with a chemical in its tongue, causing it to grow.
    The shape and position of the arms is a little strange. The one on the left barely shows and the one on the right gets a little lost with all those other lines around. The look a little flat, too, probably because the top and bottom outlines are parallel. Compare to the legs where the outlines bow away from each other.

Overall I like it. It looks a little small to be an evolution for Lickitung though.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    I mentioned previously that it looks like an egg with limbs because it's hard to see any distinction between the shape of the body and where its head juts out.

Just look at Lickitung in BW when you remove the tounge layer (and arms for good measure).
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Eyes are off, too.

Last edited:
    Years
  • heh heh....well my sprite thread died....nd i dont wanna make a new one just to get feedback yet, but neway....

Spriters Showcase Thread

Spriters Showcase Thread

Spriters Showcase Thread

the snakes were meant to be like the eevee evolutions...so i'm gonna make more...but i dunno if they look much like pokemon :P i need to know if i should rework the full design or edit em a lil bit... any help is welcome :)

and the last one is a relicanth evolution....thinking of calling it coelafact

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Geodude of my region, based on Stonehenge.
    I really don't like this so crit please.

While he doesn't look organic (which is is fine), neither do his eyes. This is a problem, for if you look at Geodude his eyes remain organic looking. Not the best crit, I know, but I'm unsure of how to put what I want to say into words.

Anyway ... Been getting into spriting again and I'll be making a thread sooner or later, but for now, I'm too lazy. So, I was making a sprite for Dr. Fuji (from the 1st Movie) and there's something wrong with him tt I just can't place.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Years

Geodude of my region, based on Stonehenge.
    I really don't like this so crit please.
    It's a bit flat and there's not much variation across the whole sprite. The jagged outlines make it look more crumbly and brittle than stoney. Maybe you want it that way? I would try giving it different legs, ones that are more like legs because at the moment they're a lot like extensions of the face than separate parts of the body. Same color, same design, same flatness. Kind of reminds me of a rocky Unown, particularly since it looks like a capital R to me. The proportions - length of the legs, width of the face, size of the eyes - seem fine. The expression isn't bad either.

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • It's a bit flat and there's not much variation across the whole sprite. The jagged outlines make it look more crumbly and brittle than stoney. Maybe you want it that way? I would try giving it different legs, ones that are more like legs because at the moment they're a lot like extensions of the face than separate parts of the body. Same color, same design, same flatness. Kind of reminds me of a rocky Unown, particularly since it looks like a capital R to me. The proportions - length of the legs, width of the face, size of the eyes - seem fine. The expression isn't bad either.

Yeah, I see what you mean, it's my first rock type and I had no idea what I was doing. They are extensions of the face, I just messed up with them. xD That's been fixed now though. This guy will be a little bit tougher than Unown though. :P

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Evolution of the cocoon in this post.
    Based on a leaf insect, and a ladybird. Without spots. :\
    Definitely not my proudest work, so please please please please please some crit. Click the sprite for his stats and stuff.

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    first in a long time, want opinion on which is better, the fire/dark (left) or just plain dark (right). and yes, my computer is having problems, so it doesn't load tinypic right now, so it is attached. i based the head off a pic i found on google images, but it is slightly different.

Years

theres nothing fundamentally wrong with this....except that the back legs are in shadow while the front legs are in light... and bugs usually don't have legs growing from their heads...

Spriters Showcase Thread

coupla things i see at first glance...the tail looks so much worse than the rest of the body... u've used the main color of the tail to border the tail AGAIN... kinda like a 2nd outline... and the highlight on the tail just looks like a blob of light grey...
    also the eyes could use a lil bigger pupils...cuz i can't tell where its looking... seems like top left? unconventional...
    the one on the right has an outline on the entire head...which makes the head seem disconnected.
    back legs a lil off...for one thing, the paws are made from the highlight color, when u should use a darker color...and the back right leg(to us) the curve of the knee (?) seems a lil jaggedy and the other leg is too straight and ends too high up. U've angled it to the front, when it should be more vertical
    edit: and oh...the shading is a lil off too, orientation wise...u've highlighted the top of the head and the top of the back part of the body...but according to the usual the front of the sprite shouldn't be darker...

and incase if all u wanted was an opinion...the fire/dark..cuz the other one seems rather plain...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back