• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

SquareEnix Answers: FFVII remake response.

Cello

Tonight!
Years
  • Just recently in late August of 2009 at a Germany gaming convention, website VG247 asked Square Producers Yoshi Kitase and Motomu Toriyama the big question on many game player's minds;
    Will Final Fantasy VII ever be brought back to life?

They responded with a surprisingly positive and hope bringing response, stating that there is no team developing or project development yet, but they discuss a remake very often.
    Final Fantasy VII is a big deal to the team.

Again, while no team is working on producing a remake currently, it is being discussed a lot between the producers at Square.
    They also responded saying that just recently the original FFVII was resleased for purchase on PSN, "so if you could play that for the time being, it should be fun."

OFFICIAL ARTICLE
    FF bosses: No FFVII remake project "yet said:
    Here, we have a handful of straws. You're welcome to grasp at some, should you feel the need.
    Us at GamesCom: Will we ever see a remake of Final Fantasy VII?
    FFXIII's Yoshi Kitase and Motomu Toriyama, speaking through a translator: There's no official project that's up and running for a remake of Final Fantasy VII at this point. Both Toriyama-san and Kitase-san were involved in the development of the game, however, and it holds a special place in their hearts. They do talk about it on a personal level, like, 'If we did it it would be like this or like that.'
    So, they do talk about it, but there's no official project yet. But there's that PSN release that just came out, so if you could play that for the time being, it should be fun.
    So there you go. Fin. For now.

============================================================

It's very odd, I found this recent article on accident.
    Me and my cousin just started separate files on FFVII last Friday and we were googling locations of weapons, and I accidentally found this.

A great game in my opinion that deserves to get a revamp. Some others will disagree and say FFVI or something deserves a remake, but we all know which game would get the remake first here. x]

It would be nice to get some voice acting and a nicer look at everything from modern day graphics.

Last edited:

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • They're going to milk FFVII with every spin-off game and movie they can make. And then they're going to go "OMG.... FFVII REMAKE!" and the fans goes wild and billions of copies will be sold.

I'd love a remake as much as the next person. But I know it'll be sometime before we see one. They're still making money off of the spin-off games. There's no reason for them to sit down and pretty much put the final nail in the FFVII coffin. Because I believe that once a remake is made then that's it, there will be no more FFVII stuff. The game has come full circle to end where it started.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I would be for a remake, provided they DIDN'T CHANGE ANY CONTENT. What I want to see is basically a huge patch. Bug fixes, better translation work, and completely overhauled graphics should be priorities. I figure I'm probably the only person to feel this way, but I don't want to see them mess up one of my favorite games, which content changing can sometimes do. It's hard to screw it up if you're just fixing things and making the graphics better.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    I would be for a remake, provided they DIDN'T CHANGE ANY CONTENT.

I whole heartedly agree. They shouldn't change a thing. After all, you simply can't beat award-winning scenes like this:

Seriously though. They'll milk FFVII for every cent they can, if for no other reason than to hold fans over until FFXV. I guarantee there'll be an FFVII remake at some point.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Honestly I don't think I'd care too much if they changed stuff. Guess it's because I didn't grow up with it or anything (I played FF7 for the first time only a few years ago). I wouldn't mind fleshing out some parts of the game or adding in a few extra sidequests or lines that tie into the rest of the compilation. No major overhauls but just little extras to pick up on.

Though I would be very disappointed if they changed the tone of the game and took out all of the humour (which was always my favorite part) in favour of extra melodrama that the more recent games have had. :'(

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • They're going to milk FFVII with every spin-off game and movie they can make. And then they're going to go "OMG.... FFVII REMAKE!" and the fans goes wild and billions of copies will be sold.

I'd love a remake as much as the next person. But I know it'll be sometime before we see one. They're still making money off of the spin-off games. There's no reason for them to sit down and pretty much put the final nail in the FFVII coffin. Because I believe that once a remake is made then that's it, there will be no more FFVII stuff. The game has come full circle to end where it started.

GameFreak, almost. When you find something that works for your wallet, stick to it!
    But yeah, I definitely wouldn't expect it soon. If so then that would make for a hell of a surprise.
    This would definitely be a better step than the mess they've been producing lately. 12 makes my stomach curl it's so far off from some of the other titles. 13 looks interesting, but not ground breaking.

Like mentioned, the game doesn't necessarily need to be touched so much as the graphics/cutscenes/voicing... well, the obvious stuff does.
    This game is a huge nostalgia dealer for me and i'm sure a lot of others. Every time I play it I feel like a kid again, along with OoT, so I see it being bad if they changed content. I don't think it would be bad if they added maybe some extra stuff at the end of the game like the Chrono Trigger port to DS.
    The whole game unfolded perfectly, and the battle system/materia system was what I believe the thing to coin "epic."
    I even love the adjustable menu that you can change colors. :D

And yes;
    Though I would be very disappointed if they changed the tone of the game and took out all of the humour (which was always my favorite part) in favour of extra melodrama that the more recent games have had. :'(
    That being a huge factor I think should stay in the game. A lot of the sketchy characters in Midgar deserve to keep their creepy ways. :)

Just gotta keep crossing fingers!
    In the meantime, Mr.T for Barret anyone? :>

Last edited:

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • I hope they still keep the same battle system and materia system. Changing things like that can really ruin the game *stares at FFIV DS*.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • If there's one thing that I want from an FFVII remake, it is a re-write. Seriously, FFVII had a very choppy script that's in need of some editing and revision. They also need to fix plenty of the underlying scenario and plot so they make a rat's ass of sense. FFVII may be one of the best games ever, but the execution of its story doesn't hold up by today's standards.

So yeah, I hope they change some content if they ever do it, because FFVII was definitely not perfect. It had a sizable number of story and gameplay flaws, and I hope that they get addressed. The main things that needs fixing as far as gameplay goes are the gratuitous mini-games. I'm not saying that they should be cut out entirely, but they definitely need some work as they were hastily thrown together and generally poorly conceived. Also, one thing that always bothered me is that if you have the right kind of ring equipped, some of the JENOVA battles are almost literally impossible to lose.

If Square were to half-ass this remake by copying everything from the original except for the graphics, they would have a surprisingly mediocre game on their hands. If they ever decide to do this, they better make sure that their number one priority is making a good game, not being faithful to the original. Despite what the hardcore fanboys/girls want you to think, FFVII had problems beyond graphical limitations, and Square would be stupid to ignore them.

Remember: different does not mean worse.

Sasuke.

Hope | Less
    Years
  • Thank god. :3.
    I have the whole series on my PSP.
    Crisis Core, Orginal VII, Advent Children.
    All I need is the derge of cerberbus.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Well done Square enix you are now as bad as EA and (almost, since you've not started porting last gen titles yet) ninty, good job. Seriously what with the (must be 3 or 4 now) releases of FF6, the 2 releases and one remake of FF4, the 101 FF7 spin offs, BEAT EM UPS, awful online version and kidified newer titles, square has essentially turned final fantasy into a more likeable mario.

FF7 wasn't even a great game if we're honest, both 6 and 9 are far superior.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • I just realized something, all the new FF games are missing world maps. Does that mean a FF7 remake is gonna be getting rid of it is well?

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • Well done Square enix you are now as bad as EA and (almost, since you've not started porting last gen titles yet) ninty, good job. Seriously what with the (must be 3 or 4 now) releases of FF6, the 2 releases and one remake of FF4, the 101 FF7 spin offs, BEAT EM UPS, awful online version and kidified newer titles, square has essentially turned final fantasy into a more likeable mario.

FF7 wasn't even a great game if we're honest, both 6 and 9 are far superior.

I was expecting to hear something along those lines from someone eventually. :P
    They're definitely hurting themselves with some of the things they've produced lately, especially 11 and up as I said earlier.

Square's just going with what choices best fill the wallet up, like most of these game companies these days. It explains the spin-offs. FFVII still goes down as one of the most innovative RPGs of all time, which has ruined it for some of us who grew up playing it. Now it's considered to be extremely overrated due to it's excessive popularity.
    Nonetheless, Square'll keep milking it for all it's worth.

I still think FFVII is a great game for it's extremely memorable characters and a good in-game systems, but I could understand how you see those two being better as well.

I just realized something, all the new FF games are missing world maps. Does that mean a FF7 remake is gonna be getting rid of it is well?

That's a good point. I would hope they didn't, because there where a lot of things important in the over world. Finding Yuffie, reaching hidden materia caves, weapon battles. The overall layout of the land was great, and if they took it out they may as well immediately regret the decision the whole time as the team makes the game.

Last edited:

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I was expecting to hear something along those lines from someone eventually. :P
    They're definitely hurting themselves with some of the things they've produced lately, especially 11 and up as I said earlier.

Square's just going with what choices best fill the wallet up, like most of these game companies these days. It explains the spin-offs. FFVII still goes down as one of the most innovative RPGs of all time, which has ruined it for some of us who grew up playing it. Now it's considered to be extremely overrated due to it's excessive popularity.
    Nonetheless, Square'll keep milking it for all it's worth.

I still think FFVII is a great game for it's extremely memorable characters and a good in-game systems, but I could understand how you see those two being better as well.

That's a good point. I would hope they didn't, because there where a lot of things important in the over world. Finding Yuffie, reaching hidden materia caves, weapon battles. The overall layout of the land was great, and if they took it out they may as well immediately regret the decision the whole time as the team makes the game.

Don't even get me started on 11 ahahaha.
    I dunno, i think (much like Ocarina of Time) FFVII owes it's reputation solely to nostalgia. It was the first 3D Final Fantasy, and for it's time, was revolutionary. However it's really not aged well imo.

Years
  • Don't even get me started on 11 ahahaha.
    I dunno, i think (much like Ocarina of Time) FFVII owes it's reputation solely to nostalgia. It was the first 3D Final Fantasy, and for it's time, was revolutionary. However it's really not aged well imo.

Even for some of us, nostalgia was never a part of its reputation. I grew up with Dragon Quest (even though we, the US, were skipped with V and VI), and didn't even play a Final Fantasy until I was 11. It was all about hype from friends, which it really didn't live up to in my opinion.

Anyway, I truly think this game does need to get remade, mainly to fix all the mistakes they made in the original. Aeris' trademark "This guy are sick," was really funny because I couldn't believe that passed through translation and localization. The minigames had some really poor controls on top of it, and the one that comes to mind first of all is the one where Cloud has to march with the rest of the soldiers. And, as Fox stated, it really hasn't aged well. The character models are appalling, with the huge, spherical joints.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I whole heartedly agree. They shouldn't change a thing. After all, you simply can't beat award-winning scenes like this:

That would be included with "fixing translation issues," which I mentioned. Though personally, I think they should leave that particular one in. :P

xXI JOE IXx

I missed out on 7, but fell In love with crisis core, I hope they remake this

Back