• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Strange Pokémon Facts!

Rucario

Madam you see before you stand
    Years
    Bulbasaur's base statistics are higher than the rest of the Kanto starters and Charmander's base statistics are lower until they get to their final evolved form where Venusaur's Base Statistics are lower than the Kanto starter evolutions and Charizard's are the highest.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Couple of points...

Psychic/Dark/Fighting doesn't work as Dark is actually immune to Psychic.
    This is not true.
    What part of "Dark is immune to Psychic" isn't true? That triangle isn't properly balanced, as Amore says.

No, the only other possible balanced triangle (other than the obvious Grass/Fire/Water) is Flying/Fighting/Rock. Incidentally, this triangle is all physical, while the starter triangle is all special (back when type determined that kind of thing).

Years
    ...But how do you know this 'interview' of two questions actually happened? For all I know, the guy who made the topic could've just made the whole thing up. Until there's solid concrete evidence of such, then its up in the air. If I made a topic about how Hideo Kojima told me that he was going to make Solid Snake die but come back as a ghost to possess the body of Raiden, you'd tell me I made the story up....and you'd be right. ;)

Oh my gosh. Seriously?! Your analogy doesn't even work, since Pokemon Red/Green have already been released, and the next Metal Gear hasn't. It's something that's backed up by the code of the game itself.

And have we really come to an age where we doubt everything except what's been written down and published?

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Oh my gosh. Seriously?! Your analogy doesn't even work, since Pokemon Red/Green have already been released, and the next Metal Gear hasn't. It's something that's backed up by the code of the game itself.

And have we really come to an age where we doubt everything except what's been written down and published?

With the advent of Wikipedia and its "notability" standards, apparently we have... :( :cer_pissed: Original research FTW! (and additionally, even information that's written down and published can still be falsified. Publishers and writers make mistakes too, and some even have agendas of their own to mislead others...)

Personally, I still think the "190-Pokemon" discovery by that Smogon user still holds some water as an interesting bit of trivia, especially due to the interesting order of the Generation I glitch Pokemon matching up with some actual Generation II Pokemon via coding.

Last edited:

Rainbow-Sasuke

300 Posts be the 15th?
    Years
    What part of "Dark is immune to Psychic" isn't true? That triangle isn't properly balanced, as Amore says.

No, the only other possible balanced triangle (other than the obvious Grass/Fire/Water) is Flying/Fighting/Rock. Incidentally, this triangle is all physical, while the starter triangle is all special (back when type determined that kind of thing).

I meant the part that was not true was that Psychic/Dark/Fighting wouldn't work. Flying/Fighting/Rock wouldn't work unless you swapped Rock and Flying.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
    Um, given the programmers gave the Psychic-Type "Miracle Eye" via level-up, then Dark>Psychic>Fighting could work. Miracle Eye allows Psychic moves to hit Dark-types for neutral damage.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I meant the part that was not true was that Psychic/Dark/Fighting wouldn't work. Flying/Fighting/Rock wouldn't work unless you swapped Rock and Flying.
    Um, what? You mean I should have put Rock/Fighting/Flying?

That's just useless semantics. You know what I mean by it.

Um, given the programmers gave the Psychic-Type "Miracle Eye" via level-up, then Dark>Psychic>Fighting could work. Miracle Eye allows Psychic moves to hit Dark-types for neutral damage.
    Still no, actually. The weaker type is supposed to be not very effective against the stronger type (i.e. Fire does 0.5x damage to Water, not 1x).

Rainbow-Sasuke

300 Posts be the 15th?
    Years
    Um, what? You mean I should have put Rock/Fighting/Flying?

That's just useless semantics. You know what I mean by it.

Still no, actually. The weaker type is supposed to be not very effective against the stronger type (i.e. Fire does 0.5x damage to Water, not 1x).

Pretty much! If you haven't noticed, from the third generation on onward, the pokémon to the right of the starter is the super effective one.

WilowWisp

Lurking in the shadows.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2010
    I recently learned about the legend behind Ho-Oh. How a great fire destroyed the Tin Tower, and in that fire 3 pokemon died but were resurrected by Ho-Oh. They are now the 3 legendary dogs. (There is much more to the legend, but thats the jist of it.)
    I can't help but wonder...what where the original forms of the pokemon that died? I keep trying to find similarities between the dogs and regular pokemon, but its like the dogs are just a mish-mash of a bunch of other pokemon.
    I don't know why, but this particular legend really interests me. Maybe because the beasties origins are different then the other legendaries? I dunno. x)

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2021
    When Poliwag evolves into Poliwhirl, its swirl changes direction.

Ho-Oh, Eevee, and Girafarig are the only Pokemon that are spelled the same forwards and backwards, the term otherwise known as a palindrome.

Shelgon is heavier than a Salamence.

dragon0fangz

account moved to 649
    Years
    sorry to those who already knew, but this is an interesting theory behind kapurumo and chobomaki.

Kapurumo is a beetle. Just a beetle. (a "front row" pokemon, apparently.) Pretty speedy.
    Strange Pokémon Facts!

Shubarugo, however, is very slow, and offensive/defensive. It's face has Kapurumo's markings, and it has a knight armor+spiral shell.
    Strange Pokémon Facts!

Chobomaki is a snail, it has a spiral shell. It is very slow, and defensive. Also, notice the shell... it seems like a knight's armor.
    Strange Pokémon Facts!

Agirudaa, though, has no shell, and resembles Chobomaki's face greatly. Its speed increases greatly.
    Strange Pokémon Facts!

It is said that Kapurumo steals Chobomaki's shell, and both of them evolve as a result. This would explain the trade for evolution method.

shininglatios217

Wayward Son
    Years
    Really? I thought something wrong happened in the middle of the trade that causes both Pokémon to evolve (well, that's my theory).

Did you know that a Poké Ball had a cameo as a planet in Super Mario Galaxy?

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    Before Generation IV, the normal necks of Dodrio is the color of the female's (brown), while its pre-evolution's is based on the male's (black).

Muk and Haunter don't change weight after they evolve from Grimer and Gastly.

In Gen I Clefable couldn't learn Hyper Beam for no reason and Ghost types didn't effect Psychic types.

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
    Diamond and Pearl were not the first games that were able to go online. For a while in Japan, it was possible to do that in Pokemon Crystal, but for reasons that remain lost to the depths of time, the service failed miserably and when the game was localized for America and other countries, all of this was removed. It was very similar to today's Nintendo WFC, but to use it, you had to use a special adapter that would link a Gameboy Color to a cell phone. What's also incredible is that in Goldenrod City, the Japanese version did not have a Pokemon Center! Instead, they had a facility called the Pokemon Communications Center that would allow you to connect and it essentially functioned as an early predecessor to the GTS, letting you trade and battle with people online. There was a lot more to it as well, you were also able to get an event Celebi that way and there was a special option on the menu that was able to let you use this functionality for Pokemon Stadium 2. This does sound too good to be true but thankfully, Nintendo did a really sloppy job removing all of this from the english version. The Pokemon Stadium 2 menu option can be partially restored through Gameshark code 010776CF. As for the Pokemon Communications Center, there is also a gameshark code that lets you dig there from Ilex Forest that I have forgotten at the time and I don't really feel like finding it again and testing it, but a quick search should give it to you plus another code that would let you get the event Celebi. If you use the Dig code, you will land in a small room, but by messing around with walk through walls in there, you should be able to access the main area, minus NPC's. Whew, this certainly was a huge textwall, but I'm done typing and I hope you enjoyed this lecture.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I recently learned about the legend behind Ho-Oh. How a great fire destroyed the Tin Tower, and in that fire 3 pokemon died but were resurrected by Ho-Oh. They are now the 3 legendary dogs. (There is much more to the legend, but thats the jist of it.)
    I can't help but wonder...what where the original forms of the pokemon that died? I keep trying to find similarities between the dogs and regular pokemon, but its like the dogs are just a mish-mash of a bunch of other pokemon.
    I don't know why, but this particular legend really interests me. Maybe because the beasties origins are different then the other legendaries? I dunno. x)

There's a theory that the Legendary Dogs :rambo: are actually reincarnations of the three original Eeveelutions of Kanto: Flareon (Entei), Vaporeon (Suicune), and Jolteon (Raikou). Pretty interesting, if you ask me...

Additionally, the Eeveelution Reincarnation theory helps to partially explain the attributes of the Dogs: Entei's dominant offensive stat is Attack like Flareon's; Suicune is bulky, which is reminiscent of Vaporeon's high HP stat and defensive moves; and Raikou is the fastest with inclination toward Special Attack, similar to Jolteon... :\

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2013
    For some reason, Ice Beam has less PP than both Thunderbolt and Flamethrower, despite having the same base power, accuracy, and chance of a secondary effect.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years

It's said to be Flareon, Jolteon and Vaporeon by some fans, wonder if it's true though there are some resemblance here and there.

*Slaps self*
    I didn't notice someone already explained it in front >.<

Well umm, Goldeens and other fishes float on land? :S

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2011
    Did you know?

Jynx is a prostitute!
    Chansey shall nomore be helping the new nurse at Isshu!
    Ash is still ten(as per BW-episode 1)!
    Tracey got a secrete crush on Misty!
    Mr.Mime can also be female!

Back