• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Strange Pokémon Facts!

o0PinkSquid0o

Squidtacular
Years
  • Duno if this has been posted before, but I was just watching episode 64 and the title card says "It's Mr. Mimie Time" (as opposed to "Mr. Mime Time").
    Lolfail

Hmm is this episode about Ash's mum's Mr. Mime? because didn't she call him Mimie or mr mimie or something?

BTW loving this thread! Unfortunately I don't have any extras to add.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    The cutey pie that is Treecko is based on these ugly things:
    Strange Pokémon Facts!

In the first generation, Charmander's back is depicted as having a small line of spikes.
    Strange Pokémon Facts!

The spikes were not shown in the sprites of later generations.
    Strange Pokémon Facts!

Charmander also had these spikes in the Pokémon Adventures manga, the spikes were larger and easier to see. The spikes were also seen on Kai Midorikawa's Charmander from the Pokémon Pocket Monsters manga. This spike can also be seen on the Green Charmander sprite.
    Strange Pokémon Facts!

(You have to look pretty hard, but they're there)
    You can see them in this picture Mirby poster:
    Strange Pokémon Facts!

Even easyer to see, wow, im suprised I never noticed, spikes on it's back make it took much more tougher! :)

Last edited:
    Then how do some of the RBY glitch Pokemon turn into actual Johto Pokemon when transferred to GSC...? Some of those glitch Pokemon's index numbers are before the index numbers of later Kanto Pokemon (this is seen all the way up to #190). And Shigeki Morimoto, the purported programmer of Mew, also alluded to there being 190 originally planned Pokemon as well. However, space limitations only permitted 150 to be included... (plus Mew, as later discovered)
    The programming limitations of the time allowed for numbers to be programmed from 0-255, allowing 256 slots. This explains the high amount of glitch Pokemon in Gen. I, as they fill in the unused slots.

The highest your Trainer ID number can be is 65535, the highest number that can be represented by an unsigned 16-bit binary number. So, your trainer ID can be anything from 00001 to 65535.
    Also you have a Secret ID, which is basically another (hidden) Trainer ID. The Secret ID stops people from nicknaming Pokemon they get in a trade with someone who has the same Trainer ID and name as them. There is a 1 in 4,294,967,296 chance that two people will have the same Trainer and Secret IDs, if the names are the same.

Prooooograaaaaamiiiiiinnnng.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • The programming limitations of the time allowed for numbers to be programmed from 0-255, allowing 256 slots. This explains the high amount of glitch Pokemon in Gen. I, as they fill in the unused slots.

The highest your Trainer ID number can be is 65535, the highest number that can be represented by an unsigned 16-bit binary number. So, your trainer ID can be anything from 00001 to 65535.
    Also you have a Secret ID, which is basically another (hidden) Trainer ID. The Secret ID stops people from nicknaming Pokemon they get in a trade with someone who has the same Trainer ID and name as them. There is a 1 in 4,294,967,296 chance that two people will have the same Trainer and Secret IDs, if the names are the same.

Prooooograaaaaamiiiiiinnnng.

I knew about the Trainer ID and Secret ID limitations...but aside from the glitch Pokemon's Gen II "transformations", there is still evidence of there being originally 190 Pokemon. In the post I linked to, what about Shigeki Morimoto reacting positively to the interviewer coming up with the count of there originally being 190 Pokemon...? :cer_confused: Even if the 39 Johto Pokemon weren't programmed in RBY, they were still designed with the original 151, according to Morimoto's reaction. Space limitations seem to be the main factor that pushed their introduction to GSC instead. I don't see otherwise why Morimoto would jump up at hearing a random number like 190.

Years
  • I knew about the Trainer ID and Secret ID limitations...but aside from the glitch Pokemon's Gen II "transformations", there is still evidence of there being originally 190 Pokemon. In the post I linked to, what about Shigeki Morimoto reacting positively to the interviewer coming up with the count of there originally being 190 Pokemon...? :cer_confused: Even if the 39 Johto Pokemon weren't programmed in RBY, they were still designed with the original 151, according to Morimoto's reaction. Space limitations seem to be the main factor that pushed their introduction to GSC instead. I don't see otherwise why Morimoto would jump up at hearing a random number like 190.

...But how do you know this 'interview' of two questions actually happened? For all I know, the guy who made the topic could've just made the whole thing up. Until there's solid concrete evidence of such, then its up in the air. If I made a topic about how Hideo Kojima told me that he was going to make Solid Snake die but come back as a ghost to possess the body of Raiden, you'd tell me I made the story up....and you'd be right. ;)

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • UGLY? Those things are WAY cuter than Treecko. Omg, they're so cute. xD

That lizerd has a dead leaf tail.....
    Strange Pokémon Facts!
    Strange Pokémon Facts!
    Strange Pokémon Facts!
    Strange Pokémon Facts!

A large amount of the legendary pokemon either came from space, or have to do with space in some way.

Yeah, that one was lame, but I didn't just want to post that one comment.
    Strange Pokémon Facts!

Demigod

umop ap!sdn
    Years
  • At least one species of Pokémon evolves at every level from 20 to 40 except 29 and 39.

Karate Chop and Gust were Normal-type moves in R/B/Y, despite being very obvious candidates for Fighting and Flying, respectively.

Years
  • At least one species of Pokémon evolves at every level from 20 to 40 except 29 and 39.

Karate Chop and Gust were Normal-type moves in R/B/Y, despite being very obvious candidates for Fighting and Flying, respectively.
    Never knew that! + In the anime Ash never ages, Sure you all knew that.

Years
  • Female Machokes have bulges, Exeggcute loses two heads when it evolves, the three hoenn starters don't have equal chances because mudkip starts with an attack that has an accuracy of 95 while the other's attacks have an accuracy of 100, and the only poke ball you can't hold so far is a cherish ball.

Illustration

ああああああああ
    Years
  • Diglett have feet.

Dark, Bug and Ghost-type moves are effective to Psychic-type Pokemon apparently because those are the three most common phobias.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • Snorlax's Japanese name Kabigon comes from the nickname of Nishino Koji, a Gamefreak programmer.
    Apparently he was once hungry enough to eat moldy (=kabi) food that was left in the office fridge, earning him this nickname.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • ...But how do you know this 'interview' of two questions actually happened? For all I know, the guy who made the topic could've just made the whole thing up. Until there's solid concrete evidence of such, then its up in the air. If I made a topic about how Hideo Kojima told me that he was going to make Solid Snake die but come back as a ghost to possess the body of Raiden, you'd tell me I made the story up....and you'd be right. ;)

Gotcha...you have a point there. *sigh* Still, it would be a very interesting piece of trivia if it turned out to be true! I guess I should starting hoping for some YouTube evidence or an interview from a "credible", recognized source... I await the day when that bit of trivia (that there were originally 190 Pokemon as opposed to the advertised 150/151) is proven true! :D

Snorlax's Japanese name Kabigon comes from the nickname of Nishino Koji, a Gamefreak programmer.
    Apparently he was once hungry enough to eat moldy (=kabi) food that was left in the office fridge, earning him this nickname.

LOL! That's an awesome piece of trivia...I wish that was carried over into the English name...oh well. I would like to use that as a nickname for Snorlax, but I've already planned on nicknaming my Snorlax 2Wide2Ride, due to a hilarious CNN headline I noticed once due to someone exceeding an airplane seat's capacity or something of the sort... (no offense to the individual involved, though).

Rainbow-Sasuke

300 Posts be the 15th?
    Years
  • Caravanah and Lairon have the same base attack stat as Latios, Lugia and Zapdos!

On the DVD selection screen of the 1st movie, Togepi is listed as Number 152.

Magmar's japanese name is Boober.(lulz)

Pinsir has the highest Attack and Defense of all Generation I Bug-types.

If you have a Reshiram with:
    Max Special Attack EVs and IVs,
    All of it's HP intact,
    3 Nasty Plots Baton Passed to it,
    Holding a Charcoal,
    Modest/Mild/Quiet/Rash Nature and
    Sunny Day in Play.

Use Eruption on a Paras with:
    No Special Defense Ev and 1 IV,
    Fake Tears used three times on it and
    Naughty/Lax/Naive/Rash nature.

It will do between 48105 and 56594 damage!

Couple of points...

Psychic/Dark/Fighting doesn't work as Dark is actually immune to Psychic.

However, you also missed one:

Grass/Ground/Fire

This is not true.
    That one wouldn't work.

Last edited:
    Back