• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suicide

Taemin

move.
Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I think suicide is selfish, yes, because the death of one person negatively effects the lives of all the people that are close to them. So by hurting themselves, they're also hurting everyone they've formed any kind of relationship with. That's why it's selfish. :/

& Not too many people who are suicidal think of it this way, but suicide itself is a permanent solution to a problem that's only temporary, and will pass in time, as things always do. :/ Or if it lingers, people often grow strong enough to deal with it. It's a shame that people kill themselves over bullying, and things that are related to school life, because that's all it is, school. School is over by the time you're 18, and college is a lot less harsh in the way of the actions of the students you're around.

Umbreon Bob

Da Trainer
    Years
  • -opens a can of drama here-
    Having been depressed for 4 years (severely depressed) was on fluoxetin (a stablizing drug)
    I must say that Suicide did pop into my mind a few times, the only reason I stopped myself was not because I was afraid but because I could'nt handle leaving my family behind and in a way betraying them and robbing myself of them. Now this might get some of you to say that they were selfish thoughts, but if you guys think about it those thoughts stopped me and in the end I got better and I'm still here today.

just my 2 cents

In my school, I'm the bully. Yet I only yelled at a kid for taking my pencil while I was working on a test.

And those who commit suicide have no idea what could be worse than what they're dealing with. Try bring some of the thousands who have died in Japan because of their quake tsunami. Yeah.

The problem with this is that when people get suicidal, its most of the time because they cant cope, they dont think about the rest of the world or even bother to try to do so because their own lives are so messed up and not worth living.

Seriously when youre hungry do you think about the children in Africa? I'll admit that I sure as heck dont, im thinking about how soon I can get my hands on some grub.

I hope you can see the point im trying to make here.

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    It's not the thoughts that are selfish, because people all handle stress differently, and if you're suicidal then it all adds up and makes sense in your mind. The selfish part is the after effect, of it hurting all the people that care about you. Although, some people who are suicidal know how it'll effect others, and just don't care at that point. :/

Umbreon Bob

Da Trainer
    Years
  • It's not the thoughts that are selfish, because people all handle stress differently, and if you're suicidal then it all adds up and makes sense in your mind. The selfish part is the after effect, of it hurting all the people that care about you. Although, some people who are suicidal know how it'll effect others, and just don't care at that point. :/

Actually now that I think about it my logic is flawed.

Its not selfish to not commit suicide because you know your family will love you. Thats borderline Ego/self-confidence. But if you have self confidence then why are you doing this in the first place. Then again like Drew said you could just not care anymore even though you know your family will miss you. Now that is indeed selfish..

-headache time-

Anthraxinsoup

Professional Vidya Player
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011
    I think of the song "hear my voice.....Kill yourself" by nocturnal depression. It's a good song and touches the selfish subject alot.

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    It is a terrible, terrible mistake to make. What good comes out of it?
    I understand that people live through harsh lives, and they really want it to end. But they need to know that committing such an act will only make things much, much worse, both for him and the others around him.
    To put this bluntly, suicide should never be an option. For it does not solve anything.
    Again, I know that there are those whose lives are dreadful, but they need to know that no matter what happens, there's always hope. A hope that Someone up there is watching you and will take care of you.

Years
  • Suicide is the equivelant of giving up. If you don't have the guts to commit it, then you haven't given up on life yet.

Suicide, for one is very, very hard to do. I don't care what anyone says, taking a knife, or a gun, or whatever, and all sorts of thoughts race through your head, and 99.9% of the time your brain's telling you not to do it.

Unfortunately, that is not the case in some ways.

On a different note, I hate teenage suicide. I just can't express to any of you how much I am disgusted at it. Not at those who do it/tried it. No, how they came to that situation in general is horrible.

In the end, I think Suicide shouldn't be committed, at all. Maybe I'm being ignorant, but I'm not going out through my own hand. I'm going out with a bang, baby.

Rainy Day

Perfect Weather
    Years
  • It's not a good solution by any means of the word, but one can't say it is selfish, per se. Suicide is just another form of death; I don't think a child who died of a physical illness would be considered selfish. Suicide is almost always caused by a mental disorder.
    And that's why you don't take bullying submissively. When I was bullied in sixth grade my parent got involved; however, since I am now in high school, I don't think that would be the best option. But there are always ways to solve things.

It's not so much selfishness as it is cowardice. (though in certain situations it is rather selfish) If you don't have the courage to stand for something, you're not needed on the world to begin with.

That's not to say I've never considered suicide, but to actually do it is the ultimate act of weakness.

Years
  • If anything, they deserve your pity, not your judgment. I couldn't even begin to imagine being in a dark place like that, where a person would consider attempting suicide.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Wow. I didn't know people were so judgmental. People aren't suicidal because they want to be, you know. I've been in that place before, and the one thing keeping me from throwing it all away was the fear of dying (kind of contradictory), so calling them cowards and selfish for wanting to toss away all the pain... shame on them, I guess. It's totally their fault that they are going through this and should be more considerate for other people!!!!!!

If anything, they deserve your pity, not your judgment. I couldn't even begin to imagine being in a dark place like that, where a person would consider attempting suicide.
    ^ This.

Ick... I feel so tainted after reading through this thread. I lost some respect for some people from it all, which is a shame.

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2023
    I think people who complain about others not listening just need to try different communication techniques. This thought could be totally misinformed, but I still get the impression that suicidal and emotional people are way too insecure about everything and overthink everything and have no idea how to cope with this.

Years
  • actually I was hospitalized a few months ago for attempting suicide. i stayed for 2 weeks and left realizing that it really isnt hopeless and as long as you put in a lot of effort to change and keep a positive and optimistic attitude your life CAN change for the better.

Although most people there had actual disorders and mental illnesses that put them into major depression that lead to suicidal tendencies. Its not their fault they're that way but they're mostly miserable because they just could not interact well with others. they felt like they needed people to love them and appreciate them to be happy, but there shouldnt be any conditions to happiness (or love. unconditional love for yourself and others = happiness)... we learned there you just have to be happy for yourself, if you're in a moment you have to keep yourself distracted by cleaning or doing a hobby, going out and seeing things. Some people are afraid to go out because they're afraid of people but there truely is no good reason for that. The people that are rude and judgemental are infact the actual weak ones, because it actually takes effort to see past a person's problems and accept them for who they are (which is kind of pathetic isnt it?). Don't let others words mold your thoughts on life or yourself, it's YOUR life and your mind and your the one in charge of whether you're going to be miserable today or not.

I dont believe people who are suicidal are trying to be selfish, but i do believe it is a quick way out and that can be very tempting compared to working your ass of to make your life better, esspecially when you hate yourself. ): But it actually is very selfish because instead of doing something about it, you instead take your life and only make the lives of your loved ones hard to live too

Years
  • I don't think it wise to generalize and assume anything when it comes to suicide. Unless you've experienced it firsthand, I would strongly suggest that you don't "guess" and talk like you know what you're talking about. How dare any of you call suicide cowardice. My senior year in high school, a fellow senior hung himself from a tree at the local Golf course. He was a popular kid, with everytying going for him, but he obviously had some demons. The next day at school, a cafeteria of nearly a thousand people ate in total silence.

maybe you all should attempt to empathize and understand how horrible and torturous it is to live like that. He didn't kill himself out of selfishness, he was experiencing terrible pain I couldn't even begin to imagine. Pity them for such a terrible outcome, and for a lost life, however, don't any of you dare judge them.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    :/

Live_Wire, I share your opinion that it isn't cowardly, but is it really mature to attack other people's opinion on the topic just because it doesn't correlate with yours? Censoring people's opinion only leads them to believe in what they say even more, rather than giving somebody an opportunity to debate the topic and possibly change their mind on it.

And who knows, maybe we'll be the ones who's opinion changes. But approaching it by threatening and talking down on them is only going to cast you in a negative light.

I feel like Live_Wire's reply wasn't so much attacking the opinion of others, but defending people who can no longer defend themselves. It's easy to call people cowardly and weak and selfish when they're not there to defend their choice, and it's up to people who empathize with the ones who commit suicide to defend their actions against people who insult them after they're gone.

Years
  • I dont know... nothing towards you, but for people who have no compassion for others who really gives a care if their f-ed up opinions get beaten down anyways? they deserve it. :/ not like they actually care about beating down others themselves, obviously. plus he could of said a lot worse, infact i don't find anything he said wrong in the least. He's standing up for what he thinks is right, which is a very touchy subject concidering we're dealing with people who take their lives. It's easy to get fired up talking about it esspecially when they know someone who has done it, or felt it themselves, and see others bashing those already suffering enough. In my opinion, kicking someone while their down is the most f-ed up thing you can do and people who do should be ripped a new one.

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
  • When it comes to me, hell no. I'm not gonna end my life. Depressed or not, my life is invaluable.

When it comes to others, I'm sort of on the fence. While I don't want people to do something people can't go back on and causes so much pain. Simultaneously, it relieves them of all the pain they've been feeling. Suicide is sort of a self-destruct button. Press it, and you're going down one way or another. /Inserts $0.02CAD

Years
  • That would directly contradict his post. He said people shouldn't guess and assume people are being selfish when they commit suicide, because they aren't in their shoes and can't know what they were thinking when they did it. With that same logic, which is sound, Live_Wire shouldn't be speaking on someone else's behalf because he doesn't know their sentiments either. For all we know somebody committing suicide could have come to terms with the fact that what they're doing might be selfish.

It can only be determined case by case, there are different reasons as to why people commit suicide, and the situations they leave behind are going to be different. The topics is purely subjective and depends on different perspectives to generate discussion. It's not something where any one answer is the right one, granted some are going to be more realistic than others and therefore it's good for people to express their take on it as opposed to being told they should feel bad about what they think.

You're a victim of your own logic. How do you know that's what I meant? So, maybe it is you who shouldn't assume and generalize what I meant, seeing as you know absolutely nothing about me. n_n

Toujours is correct on the proper perception of my post, in case you were wondering.

Last edited:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Oh my god. Stop saying suicide is selfish. Please.

A lot of text in the spoiler but yeah :/

Honestly, when you're so far gone I highly doubt you give a crap if you look selfish.
    That's hardly relevant. The fact that they don't care compounds the problem, if anything. As for the text, many suicides are prompted by mental problems that no one could reasonably prevent. And putting his or her loved ones through the guilt and anguish associated with losing someone by suicide is one of the worst things a person can do. Losing a family member is bad enough, but with the guilt on top of it (both self-imposed and coming from others who blame the family for "not loving the person enough;" these people sicken me), it really devastates people in a way that's hard to describe.

Years
  • And putting his or her loved ones through the guilt and anguish associated with losing someone by suicide is one of the worst things a person can do.]

Being in such a degraded mental state, they aren't going to be making many sensible decisions, so I doubt that they're purposely trying to harm their loved ones, they're desperately trying to alleviate their own suffering, and they obviously aren't thinking straight, which leads to the horrible desicion to do it. But I've never heard of a person commiting suicide purely out of spite for other people before.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • Interesting suicide statistic:

More males commit suicide than females. Could this possibly be due to the fact that men and women are equally emotional, but men are supposed to keep emotions bottled up inside according to society, while women are supposed to express them?

Me thinks so. Damn you society.

And suicide is not selfish. I don't know what backwards logic can make someone think that.

Back