• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Do you think it is real or fake?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
With the reveal of Lucario's return, rather than a new gen Pokémon, the whole "muh relevancy" nonsense shouldn't affect Ike's chances either. Besides, Chrom isn't "the" main character in Awakening, it's the avatar. That's why Lyn was an assist trophy in the last game, since Eliwood was the real main protagonist in FE7. Not only that, the avatar has become a staple to the series since FE12, making him just as popular as Marth and Ike. That is of course Sakurai decides to bring back Roy out fan demand from Japan, according to Japanese character polls Smashboards has been researching on.

Next week should be a big week for us Smash fans, as we'll be anticipating for Diddy's return to tie-in with Tropical Freeze.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
WELL, if you watched the Nintendo Direct, you'll know that Lil' mac has been confirmed for SSB4! What do you guys think?

His movekit looks damn interesting; so many counters and he doesn't look like he staggers a lot. @_@

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Boxers are normally amazing in fighting games.

Mac won't be an exception. CALLING IT.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • she/her, they/them
  • Seen yesterday
Wasn't expecting Lil' Mac to make it in, but I'm glad there's a (sorta) new playable face in SSB4.

I kinda wish they'd tell us the whole roster already though.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Sakurai has really threw a curveball at us this time when we expected Diddy Kong as our next character reveal to tie-in with Tropical Freeze's Japanese release, although Little Mac was an obvious newcomer due to his franchise's revival on the Wii and the boxing stage, which was changed to a Punch Out!! theme. Now we have all of Nintendo's classic franchises from the golden age (Super Mario, DK, LoZ, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Punch Out!!, Mother, and FE) present in Smash Bros. :D

Years
I was glad to see Roselina be included in the roster. She was in my top 10 wants for the SSB4 line-up. I am slightly disappointed with Lucario, in that, I would rather see a new pokemon that I like more in the spot. With Lil Mac and the Wii Fitness instructor, I am pretty disappointed. These are not characters that I have explored worlds with throughout my childhood. They take the fantasy element out of the games. They are just generic and non-inventive characters. There are SO many characters that would add charm to the game in place of those two.

Here is my current list:

1. Midna/Twilight Princess (Zelda)
Spoiler:

2. Banjo (Banjo Kazooie)
Spoiler:

3.Sonic Protagonists - Tails/Knuckles/Cream/Amy Rose/Rouge???
Spoiler:

3.5 Sonic Antagonist - Shadow/Eggman/Rouge???
Spoiler:

Preferably Tails, Rouge/Cream, Eggman for the best variety of sonic characters.

4. Krystal (Starfox)
Spoiler:

5. Meowth (Pokemon)
Spoiler:

6. Paletula (Kid Icarus)
Spoiler:

7. K. Rool (Donkey Kong)
Spoiler:

8. Conker (Conker's Bad Fur Day)
Spoiler:

9. Birdo (Mario)
Spoiler:

10. Toad (Mario)
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I don't remember, but was Meowth ever a playable character in SSB? If not, then yeah, they definitely should've included 'em this time around.

Years
I don't remember, but was Meowth ever a playable character in SSB? If not, then yeah, they definitely should've included 'em this time around.

Nope. I wish. :(

In the original we only had Pikachu and Jigglypuff (one of the worst fighters in the game despite its cuteness :p)

Meowth would be great given his popularity among fans old and new; also, he is bipedal and could totally go toe to toe, or claw-to-claw with bowser.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I was glad to see Roselina be included in the roster. She was in my top 10 wants for the SSB4 line-up. I am slightly disappointed with Lucario, in that, I would rather see a new pokemon that I like more in the spot. With Lil Mac and the Wii Fitness instructor, I am pretty disappointed. These are not characters that I have explored worlds with throughout my childhood. They take the fantasy element out of the games. They are just generic and non-inventive characters. There are SO many characters that would add charm to the game in place of those two.

Lucario has proven that the whole "flavor of the month" nonsense has no affect on choosing characters, and this was part of the reason why people criticized the choices of third party reps in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (Why Raiden over Snake?). You do realize that Little Mac is one of the most requested characters of all time right (others being Ridley, K. Rool, and Palutena)? And Wii Fit Trainer was suppose to be the traditional WTF character like Game & Watch and R.O.B. before her. Also, both of their play styles are really inventive, because Sakurai is focusing on newcomers based on what they can bring into the table that no other existing character in the roster could.

1. Midna/Twilight Princess (Zelda)
Spoiler:
Midna's main issue, alongside of Zant and Ghirahim, is that she's a one-time Zelda character, thus not making her as recurring as Link (and his toon counterpart), Zelda (and her toon counterpart), Ganon, Impa, and Tingle.

2. Banjo (Banjo Kazooie)
Spoiler:
Microsoft owns their eternal souls now; they aren't coming back to Nintendo consoles ever.

3.Sonic Protagonists - Tails/Knuckles/Cream/Amy Rose/Rouge???
Spoiler:
We can only have one character per third-party franchise, because this is a Nintendo fighter game, not M.U.G.E.N.

3.5 Sonic Antagonist - Shadow/Eggman/Rouge???
Spoiler:

Preferably Tails, Rouge/Cream, Eggman for the best variety of sonic characters.
See above

4. Krystal (Starfox)
Spoiler:
She's widely hated in Japan since Star Fox hasn't been doing so well since 64.

5. Meowth (Pokemon)
Spoiler:
Having two normal types in the roster would be just as redundant as having two Electric types in Melee. I like how Pokémon's reps in Brawl were balanced type-wise, hence why Mewtwo is the only Pokémon fans want as the fifth rep.

6. Paletula (Kid Icarus)
Spoiler:

7. K. Rool (Donkey Kong)
Spoiler:
These are the only decent choices you have.

8. Conker (Conker's Bad Fur Day)
Spoiler:

See my Banjo comment above.

9. Birdo (Mario)
Spoiler:
Assist Trophy material.

10. Toad (Mario)
Spoiler:
The limit number of slots for each character is five, and since Rosalina took the fifth spot for Super Mario, Toad's days are numbered, again.

If you followed the news regarding SSB4 since June 2013, your list would've been much different.​

Years
Lucario has proven that the whole "flavor of the month" nonsense has no affect on choosing characters, and this was part of the reason why people criticized the choices of third party reps in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (Why Raiden over Snake?). You do realize that Little Mac is one of the most requested characters of all time right (others being Ridley, K. Rool, and Palutena)? And Wii Fit Trainer was suppose to be the traditional WTF character like Game & Watch and R.O.B. before her. Also, both of their play styles are really inventive, because Sakurai is focusing on newcomers based on what they can bring into the table that no other existing character in the roster could.

If you followed the news regarding SSB4 since June 2013, your list would've been much different.

These are all characters I personally would like to see, I didn't take the opinions or preferences of others or the licensing issues into account since it's just a fun list. I.e. having two normal type pokemon is not possible, when we already have had two electric types that were both in the same evolutionary family in the same game, now that would be redundant right? Some of the reasons are kind of irrelevant rules though framed as, matter of fact. Again, it's a fun list of characters I enjoyed in Nintendo consoles, I am not advocating what is the best or viable marketing decision for Nintendo.

I don't care for a boxer or wii fit trainer as characters, that is all there is too it. I personally prefer more fantasy, both of those characters are more pedestrian in that perspective, in that if one were to dress in cosplay of either character, they might literally be mistaken for pedestrians. If others want them, it's not relevant to my enjoyment, though I am not going to try to berate them for their preferences. It's simply frivolous given the subjectivity of the matter it's unnecessary to say the least.

You really need to take it down a notch. It's just a thread for a video game.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • she/her, they/them
  • Seen yesterday
Why would anyone want Toad as a playable character in Smash Bros?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
These are all characters I personally would like to see, I didn't take the opinions or preferences of others or the licensing issues into account since it's just a fun list. I.e. having two normal type pokemon is not possible, when we already have had two electric types that were both in the same evolutionary family in the same game, now that would be redundant right? Some of the reasons are kind of irrelevant rules though framed as, matter of fact. Again, it's a fun list of characters I enjoyed in Nintendo consoles, I am not advocating what is the best or viable marketing decision for Nintendo.

I don't care for a boxer or wii fit trainer as characters, that is all there is too it. I personally prefer more fantasy, both of those characters are more pedestrian in that perspective, in that if one were to dress in cosplay of either character, they might literally be mistaken for pedestrians. If others want them, it's not relevant to my enjoyment, though I am not going to try to berate them for their preferences. It's simply frivolous given the subjectivity of the matter it's unnecessary to say the least.

You really need to take it down a notch. It's just a thread for a video game.
Us Smash fans, especially at Smashboards, take speculations very seriously based on information Sakurai has given us about selecting characters and the rosters from the past titles. You have no idea how much we cringe whenever someone requests Goku for Smash, even though Sakurai made it clear 6 years ago that a character must originate from a video game.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Lil Mac and the Wii Fitness instructor, I am pretty disappointed. These are not characters that I have explored worlds with throughout my childhood. They take the fantasy element out of the games. They are just generic and non-inventive characters. There are SO many characters that would add charm to the game in place of those two.
This is absolute bullcrap and would only lead to a generic roster.
By your logic, we should take out Marth, Peach, Donkey Kong, Link (there's really nothing fantastical about him), Snake, etc because they have nothing fantastical in their moveset. Hell, take out Mario and Luigi's fireball, and they're pretty generic too.

Lil Mac and WFT add variety. The fact Little Mac is realistic alone is what makes him stand out, and Smash despite being a fighting game has a lack of an actual martial artist, and the best character to fill that void is the one classical character that they should have included long ago called Little Mac. Wii Fit Trainer is a hilarious character that is cleverly designed around the usage of exercises.

Your perspective of lack of creativity and genericness is flawed. If the character doesn't have fire powers, or if they can't fly, they're automatically generic? You really need to realize that's really not how it is. If anything, out of all the newcomers, Lil Mac and WFT look the most creative and fun. What they lack in gimmicks (Rosalina, Mega Man) they make up for it with proper representation of what they're based on. They used their limitations in their design to creatively pull a moveset that easily fits in line with the series, whereas it's SO easy to make a moveset for Rosalina and Mega Man if you wanted gimmicks. They're also not realistic. Take it from a boxer, you won't find a boxer who has a style like Lil Mac. If anything he's straight up anime.

Out of all the newcomers revealed so far, Little Mac deserved it the most. Not being biased, but he has the least detractors AND he's actually iconic, not to mention he also adds ACTUAL variety to the roster.

Seems like you're judging them based on their aesthetic design ("get that generic human **** out of my smash bros waaaah") over their function. There's your problem.

Last edited:
Years
Snake is one of the few characters I don't care for in the other series, so again it's irrelevant to which characters I do and don't like and doesn't invalidate my opinions.

The others listed are a very much fantasy-related so I don't understand where you are coming from. Proclaiming a toadstool princess with a huge pink gown and gold crown, able to float, a prince that is a swordsman of a medieval high fantasy, a monster-slaying swordsman with a green tunic and a pointed cap with magical weapons and skillsets, a drumming gorilla with loads of personality, are not fantasy? (These characters do not look pedestrian, we would all take a second..third look if we saw them further they all belong to diverse fantasy-based worlds)

I don't like a couple characters, I gave my reasons. I am not going to argue that you are "wrong", that is a frivolous (immature) argument. Again, I value aesthetics over function. I value fantasy over ordinary. When I play the games I mostly choose my favorite characters. Gamers have different values in why they like or dislike a character or game.

I have been a fan of the games and have spent hours upon hours, days upon days, playing the series since I was a child, I can have unpopular opinions, and still be a fan and courteous of the opinions of other fans that I don't agree with.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
You have a featherweight boxer taking on other boxers from heavier weight classes which is impossible.

Considering that, and the fact he has an exaggerated Mike Tyson boxing style, makes him fantastical to begin with anyway.

That said, I don't care whether you even like him or not, but you need to word your thoughts more thoroughly, and there's seriously nothing I hate more than saying "it's my opinion" to everything. What I quoted there was absolutely silly, ignorant, and honestly being a boxer myself, borderline insulting.

Years
That said, I don't care whether you even like him or not, but you need to word your thoughts more thoroughly, and there's seriously nothing I hate more than saying "it's my opinion" to everything. What I quoted there was absolutely silly, ignorant, and honestly being a boxer myself, borderline insulting.

"Lil Mac and the Wii Fitness instructor, I am pretty disappointed. These are not characters that I have explored worlds with throughout my childhood. They take the fantasy element out of the games. They are just generic and non-inventive characters. There are SO many characters that would add charm to the game in place of those two."

How is this so insulting or ignorant?

I actual like boxing, just not in SSB, please don't infer I dislike boxers,if we are going to make claims of silly or ignorant comments.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Never said you disliked boxing?

On the other hand, saying "they are just generic and non-inventive characters" and adding on the whole "so many characters that would add charm to the game in place of these two" only implies that you think boxing is too generic and boring for this game.

Years
Never said you disliked boxing?

On the other hand, saying "they are just generic and non-inventive characters" and adding on the whole "so many characters that would add charm to the game in place of these two" only implies that you think boxing is too generic and boring for this game.

Exactly, how is that insulting to boxers? Or ignorant?

There are tons of athletes I would not prefer in the games if not fulfilling the fantasy element.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I'm happy that Lil Mac is coming to Smash 4. He reminds me of a Captain Falcon type of character, should be interesting to see what he brings to the table. I hope Ike comes back or at least Roy. I mained Ike for a while in Super Smash Bros Brawl and really enjoy playing as Roy in Project M.

Back