• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Do you think it is real or fake?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Z25

Team Player
Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    I was so hyped by this, the direct was the best one ever! I will main him! I love how epic his trailer was.

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2015
    Exactly what I was thinking! Greninja is perfectly suited to Smash Bros. I just hope it isn't an exact copy of Sheik's set. It'll be playable on the 3DS too btw ;)

It's definitely not if ya payed attention.

Looks great to me, I like how he takes moves from pokemon and ninja culture.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    If they're having a fifth Pokémon character, it should be either Celebi, Jirachi, Shaymin, or any other small legendary. Would be pretty interesting to play as them. :] Also, personally, I think it would have been really cool if they had made the roster expendable via DLC or something. If they wanted, maybe they also could have distributed stage-sets?

LetsPlayALoveGame

Wielder of the Disco Stick
    Years
    • Age 31
    • he/him
    • Texas
    • Seen Mar 9, 2023
    I hate to sound biased, but I've been pretty disappointed in the directs so far. Greninja seems alright but it's by far the most overrated of the Kalos starters and that probably contributed to its inclusion. I honestly just don't care for most of the new characters. I've never played either of the Punch Out games, so Little Mac didn't interest me, and I generally dislike Galaxy and find Rosalina to the a boring character overall. The only one I see myself maining thus far is Mega Man, since I doubt Wolf or Mewtwo will be returning (damn you, Lucario! lol)

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • Was I the only one who thought the Greninja silhouette was Mewtwo at first? xD
    T_T still hoping he comes back though T_T
    Though if the Pokemon franchise were to have 5 reps like Mario, that gives Mewtwo even less of a chance of returning, since Jigglypuff, who's one of the original 12, hasn't been revealed yet. Sadly, because of this, Mewtwo most likely once again won't return. :(

Also...
    zelda_phantom__large.png

Anyone who doubted my speculation that it was part of her moveset, I told you so. :P

(maybe I'm confusing that with 3DSForums...)

Ephraim225

Freaky Frillish Guy
    Years
  • I hate to sound biased, but I've been pretty disappointed in the directs so far. Greninja seems alright but it's by far the most overrated of the Kalos starters and that probably contributed to its inclusion.

Agreed. But hey, Fennekin comes out of Pokeballs.

FENNEKIN. POKEBALLS.

Smash is of course all about who is popular, after all. Why, Red and Serena haven't been seen either. Well, at least with four Pokemon characters, we can safely say Jigglypuff has finally left the building.

LetsPlayALoveGame

Years
    • Age 31
    • he/him
    • Texas
    • Seen Mar 9, 2023
    Agreed. But hey, Fennekin comes out of Pokeballs.

FENNEKIN. POKEBALLS.

Smash is of course all about who is popular, after all. Why, Red and Serena haven't been seen either. Well, at least with four Pokemon characters, we can safely say Jigglypuff has finally left the building.

I was holding out so hard for Mewtwo because he was my Melee main and nothing in Brawl even came close to filling that void. I still have a bit of hope considering Brawl technically had 6 Pokemon, and there's already 5 people repping the Mario franchise. Also I liked the Master ball idea.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    I'm pretty happy to see some representation of Gen VI being seen in this Super Smash Bros. game, but as much as I love Greninja and am hyped to play as him, I was hoping for some Gen V love. Zoroark is the usual choice, but I would have enjoyed seeing something odd like Genesect as well.

I'm also a bit annoyed that Charizard is making a solo appearance. It's bad enough that he's had a spin off based around him, another spin off based around his mega form and that he was given two mega forms, but this is just wrong.

Crzyphl

The Crazy Phil
    Years
  • The reason why charizard and greninja are making solo appearances is because of their popularity. Just look at lucario and mewtwo, two of the most popular pokemon there are!
    Charizard is the bad(donkey) dragon and greninja is the bad(donkey) ninja. People love dragons and ninjas.
    I think that greninja is gonna be awesome to play as. Just throwing shurikens and whizzing around...maybe a little annoying but ya know, theres already some of those *cough meta knight tornado*

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • 5 pokemon will just be ridiculous. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that we're only getting Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard, and Greninja, and I personally think that lineup is perfect.

Mario has 5 reps, and so will Zelda (once Ganondorf returns), so it makes sense to have both series and Pokemon to have an equal amount of reps due to being Nintendo biggest franchises.

We have 29 characters now, and 30 if you're counting Palutena. Brawl had only 35 characters, so if they're sticking to that number, there will be a tough competition for the final five. Hopefully Ness and Lucas are still around, along with Captain Falcon. As for the last two, that's pretty tough. I would guess Falco and Chrom, but that would mean cuts for a lot of veterans.

Let's just hope they're bringing the roster up to 40.

Why would you think we're getting the same amount of characters as Brawl? It was actually a misinformation on what he said about the roster, for he meant he would rather focus on balancing Brawl's roster rather than adding more newcomers. Now that Charizard is on his own, and Squirtle and Ivysaur are out, we'll definitely hit the 50-character roster slot much easier.

If they're having a fifth Pokémon character, it should be either Celebi, Jirachi, Shaymin, or any other small legendary. Would be pretty interesting to play as them. :] Also, personally, I think it would have been really cool if they had made the roster expendable via DLC or something. If they wanted, maybe they also could have distributed stage-sets?

Event legendaries can't be playable in Smash, because it must be a Pokemon you can legally get easily in their game of origin. Besides, Victini was revealed as a Pokeball Pokemon during the direct, and one of the 120 new 3DS screenshots showed Mew retaining its role as a Pokeball Pokemon, so the same can apply to Celebi, Jirachi, Shaymin, and other mirage Pokemon.

Anyway, guys, there's a rumor that's been going on since yesterday, and it's from the same guy who said Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, Little Mac, Mii, and Pac-Man were set to be revealed at last year's E3: http://gematsu.com/2014/04/rumor-shulk-palutena-set-super-smash-bros#hfRD4FMyrhZMUhmA.99

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2015
    I hate to sound biased, but I've been pretty disappointed in the directs so far. Greninja seems alright but it's by far the most overrated of the Kalos starters and that probably contributed to its inclusion. I honestly just don't care for most of the new characters. I've never played either of the Punch Out games, so Little Mac didn't interest me, and I generally dislike Galaxy and find Rosalina to the a boring character overall. The only one I see myself maining thus far is Mega Man, since I doubt Wolf or Mewtwo will be returning (damn you, Lucario! lol)

Rosalina is one of the most complex characters to come out of nintendo if you spent five minutes learning her backstory. Overall you seem to be one to frequent gritty dark characters, which is something they've kind of been trying to avoid.

LetsPlayALoveGame

Years
    • Age 31
    • he/him
    • Texas
    • Seen Mar 9, 2023
    Rosalina is one of the most complex characters to come out of nintendo if you spent five minutes learning her backstory. Overall you seem to be one to frequent gritty dark characters, which is something they've kind of been trying to avoid.

I never said she was a flat/one-dimensional character. She just doesn't appeal to me, and I'm not a huge fan of her design. It's mainly the fact that I generally disliked the Galaxy games overall. I guess Mewtwo and Wolf could come off as dark/gritty in a way. I just always found Mewtwo to best suit my playstyle, and the fact that I really like his design helped matters.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I have to say, Greninja was an unexpected addition, because Sakurai said that the roster was finalized back in June 2013, meaning we wouldn't be getting a Gen VI rep outside of Mega Evolutions, since XY came out in October. His inclusion was kind of a mixed bag to me; as much as I like Greninja as much as the next person (he's pretty much Naruto in Pokemon form), but now that Pokemon has reached 4 reps, Mewtwo and Jigglypuff would have to compete for the 5th slot, and they both have legit reasons to get in the game.

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    Well, Greninja is my least favourite of the three Kalos starters (I just can't stand that tongue...) and I honestly don't see WHY it's been included at all. It's the same as it was with Lucario - I didn't get why that had been added; it felt like a poor substitute for Mewtwo. I can't say I'm completely against it - I expect it'll be fun enough to play as - I just...don't see the point. I'd prefer to see the slot go to a Pokemon I don't dislike, or a different character entirely. Ah well.

AZ Jr

There is a fine line between fishing and just stan
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 9, 2014
    Hang on. Greninja? Super Smash Bros.? COMBINED?!

Spoiler:

Very good news. Also, Lumiose City. That should be fun.

Years
  • Not really complaining or celebrating about this. There are better Pokémon in Gen VI that could have been included, but I feel Greninja was added just because it's a starter. Looking forward to seeing Greninja's moveset, at least.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Not really complaining or celebrating about this. There are better Pokémon in Gen VI that could have been included, but I feel Greninja was added just because it's a starter. Looking forward to seeing Greninja's moveset, at least.

Well, they're only gonna put the more popular Pokémon into Smash Bros, and starters happen to be real popular. But what would you have preferred to see in SSB4?

Years
  • Well, they're only gonna put the more popular Pokémon into Smash Bros, and starters happen to be real popular. But what would you have preferred to see in SSB4?

I don't know, it's a tough one... out of the XY Pokémon, maybe Goodra or something like Trevenant? Greninja isn't a bad choice, all things considered, but... I dunno. Like I said, I'm not disappointed, but at the same time I'm not overjoyed about it.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I never asked for Greninja but he looks great. Smash could use a teleportation based character, ala Strider. Mewtwo could only do so much. Besides, left field characters are bestest.

Best character unrelated news is Smash 3DS being 60fps.
    Well, Greninja is my least favourite of the three Kalos starters (I just can't stand that tongue...) and I honestly don't see WHY it's been included at all. It's the same as it was with Lucario - I didn't get why that had been added; it felt like a poor substitute for Mewtwo. I can't say I'm completely against it - I expect it'll be fun enough to play as - I just...don't see the point. I'd prefer to see the slot go to a Pokemon I don't dislike, or a different character entirely. Ah well.
    What the flying ♥♥♥♥.

"Only characters that I like should get in."

ugh. Smashboards is that way. ->

Anyway, Greninja basically confirms:
    -Chrom
    -Shulk
    -Palutena
    -Rhythm Heaven's Chorus Kids (♥♥♥♥ YES)
    -Pac Man
    -Mii

psychomew2

Rank 1: Otsdarva
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2014
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the guy who makes those predictions isn't always right. He predicted the announcement of mii and pacman a lot earlier if memory serves. Some of his predictions may be right, but I don't think that just because Greninja's in that we can automatically expect him to be right on all fronts. I'm not saying it's impossible he's 100% right, I'm just not sure it's wise to count on it.

Also, I have to ask this out of sheer curiousity. People of PC, what say you: for fun or for glory?

Back