• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Do you think it is real or fake?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    So my brother and I are looking to get into competitive.

He mains Mario and I main Peach. We know their moves and their capabilities pretty well.
    I secondary Pac man and his is Ike.

Any tips for us?
    We do okay online.
    We win some we lose some, more win that lose to be honest and the only time we lose is to super sweaty mega try hard ultra deluxes. Just kidding haha but yeah really any tips?
    Peach's floating ability is very useful for edgeguarding. Her most powerful aerial is her forward-air, which has high knockback but is a bit slow on start-up. She can actually go under Final Destination using her floating, but it's mostly pointless. Mario can gimp extremely well with his FLUDD and cape, and you can jump offstage and hit them with cape and reverse their recovery. I can't really give too much more advice, because none of your mains or secondaries are characters I've ever used properly.

But yeah, Brawl's graphics style was weird overall and Marth looked extremely weird.
    It was, they made everybody with a realistic style and it definitely didn't suit any of them except for Snake really.
    And I definitely don't think Lucina is a downgrade. I mean in some cases, for example Marth has more potential than Lucina. But Lucina is faster and can combo better and she's even stronger (If you're not good with landing Marth's tippers. If you are, than Marth is stronger) Overall Lucina is an easier character to use, and for that reason I think she's a pretty needed character.
    Lucina is easier, but that's all she's got over Marth really. If you can space well, Marth is a direct upgrade. Lucina is NOT faster than Marth, they're both exactly the same except for the tipper and their hitlag modifier (Marth is actually safer on shields than Lucina). Technically, Lucina is more useful for an aggresive playstyle because she doesn't need to worry about spacing. But other than that I think they need to make some other change to Lucina to make her more different from Marth and less downgrade from Marth.
    And it's not annoying, no worries.
    Oh good, because I'm going to continue to do it in the future :).

I can't say much about what I think of Project M, I've never played it, only watched it. It actually looks fun, though.

Aven

~:Official Beater:~
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    We'll be arguing semantics then. It's a mod because it's modified on Brawl and needs Brawl to run. That's what I meant.

Oh, I wasn't trying to argue. I just think you have the wrong view of Project M, and that you're missing out on a lot of fun :)
    #PlayingProjectMWithFriends x)

Lucina is easier, but that's all she's got over Marth really. If you can space well, Marth is a direct upgrade. Lucina is NOT faster than Marth, they're both exactly the same except for the tipper and their hitlag modifier (Marth is actually safer on shields than Lucina). Technically, Lucina is more useful for an aggresive playstyle because she doesn't need to worry about spacing. But other than that I think they need to make some other change to Lucina to make her more different from Marth and less downgrade from Marth.

Oh no, I meant Lucina was faster in terms of not having any tippers or spacing to worry about, so like you said, making her faster and more aggressive. And yes I still think Marth is a big upgrade from Lucina if you can land the tippers, but in Melee, no one gave a second thought to Marth before Ken because his play style back then before we discovered it was, a little bit confusing. And Roy of course was/is almost harder and more confusing then Marth because he was slower and more difficult to play. That is why I said Lucina is a very needed and well thought character, because now newer players are giving a second thought to Marth/Lucina because Lucina is so easy and fun to play as. I wouldn't mind at all if they added more things to Lucina in general to make her differ a bit more than Marth, as long as it's nothing more advanced and difficult like Marth.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope you understand where I'm coming from. Simplistic characters are needed to get newer players started so they can advance too.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
    I respect that Sakurai doesn't want Ridley in the games, but the people claiming it would be terrible are just a little bit
    Spoiler:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    I respect that Sakurai doesn't want Ridley in the games, but the people claiming it would be terrible are just a little bit
    Spoiler:
    Eh. I'd want Ridley as a playable character as soon as I'd want the cyclops from Megaman or Xenoblade's Metal Face as one.

I like characters, but I also like the integrity of the original works kept in tact, which Smash does a pretty good job of.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    I kinda just wanted sakurai to make a chibi ridley and be extremely weak to shut the Ridley fans up "Here I sized him down, now he's pathetic. Are you happy now?"
    It's actually more on the lines with the fact that Ridley constantly flies all the time and briefly fights on ground unless he's forced to stay on the ground under certain circumstances and how it's a key trait to his character portrayal. Sakurai wants to be accurate with each fighters' character portrayal while, at the same time, not messing with the gameplay's balance. Of course the fans are accusing Sakurai as a hypocrite and used Ganondorf, Ness, Wario, and Kirby as primary examples on how these fighters aren't being portrayed correctly. These same fans also move onto Project M as the definitive Smash Bros. experience and try to make a working Ridley model to prove Sakurai wrong.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Wario and Kirby aren't accurately portrayed? What the ****?

I get Ness and Ganondorf but considering their situation it's understandable.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years

I get Ness and Ganondorf but considering their situation it's understandable.
    Wario was being portrayed as a gross character who uses his own flatulence as a weapon, which is a trait that he never had in any of the Wario games prior to Brawl. Most Wario fans at Smashboards were ticked about this, because he's suppose to be a greedy anti-hero with super strength, not an acrobatic clown with a gross personality. Kirby's fly ability was limited to 5 times in the Smash Bros. titles rather than unlimited times in his own games, minus Kirby 64, and they used that as a counterexample as to how Ridley can still work with his fly ability trait.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Wario was being portrayed as a gross character who uses his own flatulence as a weapon, which is a trait that he never had in any of the Wario games prior to Brawl. Most Wario fans at Smashboards were ticked about this, because he's suppose to be a greedy anti-hero with super strength, not an acrobatic clown with a gross personality. Kirby's fly ability was limited to 5 times in the Smash Bros. titles rather than unlimited times in his own games, minus Kirby 64, and they used that as a counterexample as to how Ridley can still work with his fly ability trait.

In a game like Smash Bros, unlimited flying is a no-no.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    You do realize that Wario has been depicted to be gross and disgusting ever since the first Wario land, right?
    Christ, he powers up by eating raw garlic in Wario Land 1, and Wario Land 2 starts the game with Wario sleeping with a huge snot coming out of his nose. That's ignoring Warioware.

Wario fans my ass.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Even with or without unlimited flight, I don't see how this meant that Kirby wasn't really 'portrayed right'. D:

He had some of his normal copy abilities, and even his swallow powers. @_@

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Even with or without unlimited flight, I don't see how this meant that Kirby wasn't really 'portrayed right'. D:

He had some of his normal copy abilities, and even his swallow powers. @_@
    And to build on that, there are Kirby games (specifically, the 3D ones. Or at the very least Crystal Shards) where he has limited flight.

Though I do find it interesting that people think the creator can misrepresent their own character in his own game, especially since Kirby has historically taken influence and even some features from the Smash Bros Series.

Aven

~:Official Beater:~
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022

Wario can literally do whatever he wants. I think he was portrayed beautifully :)
    In a game like Smash Bros, unlimited flying is a no-no.

So? Mewtwo doesn't care. But on the whole Ridley debate (which I wish we hadn't gotten into anyway >.>) I think you guys are a little off about Ridley being too big and that he wouldn't be portrayed right. It's true Smash doesn't portray characters as identical to them in their games, but they get close enough to make the moves recognizable and fun. Peach is in there, and she's all about hearts and love (though she still kicks butt) I think if they did add Ridley, in the future or even before they released the game, he would have to be constantly hovering over the ground and continually flapping his wings while idle (in my eyes at least, and I think he would pretty beast like that. Heh, get it?) Anyway, I won't go over how I imagine all of his side tilts, aerial attacks and such, but I will say that I wouldn't mind, and would even love if they added Ridley (along with a Meta Ridley alternate costume please :3) There are a few problems however (like many have stated, and can stop stating >.>) One of them being, in my opinion, that without some serious thinking his fighting style would end up way too similar to Charizards (like really, just imagine Ridley doing Charizards down throw, yeah it would look cool but still, too similar) There's a thought O_o Ridley as a Charizard alternate- You know what never mind, please don't do that.

Anyway, my final say in this, (and I hope everyones had their final say or this could go on a while) Is that me and a lot of other people would enjoy having Ridley finally make it into Smash. And the other group of people that either hate him or don't even know who he is honestly wouldn't mind. But with all the complications, and with all the people that would probably think Sakurai made a big mistake with Ridley, one Smash may or may not get more hate than love for adding Ridley. Two, to give it to you easy and simple, Ridley is unnecessary, plain fact. You can try to tell me that a lot of characters in Smash are unnecessary, but that would be untrue. No one wants Ridley because it would give them a fun new play style to master, only because Ridley is famous. Sure, most people in Smash are famous, but they do have a pretty unique style. Ridley, being a dragon, fighting like a dragon and just being a dragon isn't unique enough for me to say that he's necessary. But if anyone has ideas for Ridley's move set that can be both unique and not totally overpowered at the same time, please share them so we all can get a better idea of Ridley.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    OK so am I the only one who is really disappointed with the Wii U game?

The graphics are awesome, character roster is pretty great (despite getting rid of Lucas and Wolf, RIP) and it's a beautiful looking game all around, but... where's the content? There's no single player story mode. There's no story mode at all. I know that seems like a shallow gripe in a game like Smash Bros but after the awesomeness of Subspace Emissary, playing the game without a single player campaign to glue the game together just seems pointless and directionless. Without it, it's just endless replays of Classic Mode and Endless Smash which make the game seem tedious and really hard to get into.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    This game has way better content than Brawl because the modes are actually good. (Especially Events and Online)

Also SSE was awful. I'm glad it's gone. :V

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    This game has way better content than Brawl because the modes are actually good. (Especially Events and Online)

Also SSE was awful. I'm glad it's gone. :V

Have you attempted the 8 player brawls on the larger maps yet? I was wondering how that plays out considering I'm indifferent on it based on videos I've seen.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Have you attempted the 8 player brawls on the larger maps yet? I was wondering how that plays out considering I'm indifferent on it based on videos I've seen.
    Not yet. Game was only out last friday and I only tried out Events (awesome), online (awesome), amibo (cute, I got the DK one) and Smash Tour (awesome with people.) ORAS took most of my weekend time anyway lol.

Back