• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Do you think it is real or fake?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    WOO I LEARNED HOW TO DO ARCFIRE COMBOS TODAY

ok you all can go back to what you were doing

Aven

~:Official Beater:~
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    Every character can be competitive, but not every character can be viable.

Marth certainly isn't viable. (And Mewtwo who isn't out at all??)

Not sure what you mean by "viable". If you mean potential on how good they can get, I think it's too random to decide if a character is "viable" to play. Because of the stage, opponent, and character you're facing, it's too random to cancel characters out of the competitive roster.

WOO I LEARNED HOW TO DO ARCFIRE COMBOS TODAY

ok you all can go back to what you were doing

Congrats Zekrom xD

Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Viability means if they can compete and make consistent high results at top level play. Marth definitely can't because he, by design, is an inconsistent character and has no kill set ups. (Which are important)

Inconsistency and having losing matchups against dominant characters can really hurt your viability.

Aven

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    Viability means if they can compete and make consistent high results at top level play. Marth definitely can't because he, by design, is an inconsistent character and has no kill set ups. (Which are important)

Inconsistency and having losing matchups against dominant characters can really hurt your viability.

How about Lucina?

Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    How about Lucina?
    Lucina is even worse because she loses the one saving grace Marth has (tipper). Without the tipper she can't kill as well as he does and she's unsafe on block for practically every move.

The reason why Marth is inconsistent isn't because of his tipper, but because he relies on hard reads. He really cannot kill anyone without praying someone walks into a kill move. Marth as a character isn't bad to be honest, I don't think he has any particular bad match ups, but when you have to make consistent reads in a tournament setting then there's a problem. From a tournament standpoint, Marth is bad. Lucina is worse. (But honestly won't lose much if at all from picking her over Marth, she just doesn't have the rewards Marth has.)

I heard he has a custom side b tht can confirm into a kill though, so he benefits from that environment.

Aven

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    Lucina is even worse because she loses the one saving grace Marth has (tipper). Without the tipper she can't kill as well as he does and she's unsafe on block for practically every move.

The reason why Marth is inconsistent isn't because of his tipper, but because he relies on hard reads. He really cannot kill anyone without praying someone walks into a kill move. Marth as a character isn't bad to be honest, I don't think he has any particular bad match ups, but when you have to make consistent reads in a tournament setting then there's a problem. From a tournament standpoint, Marth is bad. Lucina is worse. (But honestly won't lose much if at all from picking her over Marth, she just doesn't have the rewards Marth has.)

I heard he has a custom side b tht can confirm into a kill though, so he benefits from that environment.

Sorry I didn't mean to click the like button. Interesting theory though.

Night Watcher

Hotdog MAn
    Years
  • Lucina is even worse because she loses the one saving grace Marth has (tipper). Without the tipper she can't kill as well as he does and she's unsafe on block for practically every move.

She's the character that racks up percentage though. Even though she doesn't have tippers, she does have powerful moves and all around attacks to kill the enemy faster and more strategically while Marth, on the other hand, relies heavily on his tippers.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Should we be discouraged on using Lucina then? At least we'll know who's first in line on the chopping block for the next game.

Has anyone watched AlpharadTV's Smash videos? They're both hilarious and helpful to provide strategies for the characters he's playing as, especially his "How to Play" videos. Unfortunately, the majority of those videos are NSFW due to use of profanity, so I'll instead post one of his safer videos:

Spoiler:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Should we be discouraged on using Lucina then? At least we'll know who's first in line on the chopping block for the next game.
    I think the idea is more that she (or any character really) is fine to use, but in high level play you may have a more difficult time.

Has anyone watched AlpharadTV's Smash videos? They're both hilarious and helpful to provide strategies for the characters he's playing as, especially his "How to Play" videos. Unfortunately, the majority of those videos are NSFW due to use of profanity, so I'll instead post one of his safer videos:

Spoiler:
    Haha, that was a bit amusing

Night Watcher

Hotdog MAn
    Years
  • I think the idea is more that she (or any character really) is fine to use, but in high level play you may have a more difficult time.

I guess you could say that beginners with Lucina will have a hard time in competitions, but when someone mains her, they won't have too much of a problem. The only problem I had with her is her sword length.

Aven

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    I guess you could say that beginners with Lucina will have a hard time in competitions, but when someone mains her, they won't have too much of a problem. The only problem I had with her is her sword length.

Her sword length is the same as Marth's, I think. Any longer and it would be too OP.

Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    It'd be easier for all of us if you just admit that you don't necessarily care or follow the metagame. Honestly don't see why you care if Marth and Lucina are bad in that setting if so. :V

Aven

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    It'd be easier for all of us if you just admit that you don't necessarily care or follow the metagame. Honestly don't see why you care if Marth and Lucina are bad in that setting if so. :V

Metagames change, they improve and update, but they're sort of useless and too technical.

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
    Years
  • Sword lengths are the same as its the same weapon that both Marth and Lucina use. Its just different variants of said sword, so naturally there is differences in weight, swing strength and finally how it functions where Marth's tip will only to 100% of the damage where Lucina's blade can do full damage normally all around.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Oh yay, more leaks..... (spoiler'd due to images being large)

Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Oh man no
    1. Mewtwo's trophy doesn't match his render (which doesn't have his tail???)
    2. Why is Roy next to the Fire Emblem characters but not Mewtwo?
    3. The fonts don't even match. Roy's name is ridiculously big in that CSS. Mewtwo's name is inside the black bar entirely unlike every other character.
    4. Mewtwo's character box is misaligned with the rest of the characters.
    5. Why does Roy have actual twig arms? Even Marth's official render has muscles.
    main.png

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Idk the Mewtwo stuff could be legit. They are gonna release him fairly soon. The Roy stuff's gotta be fake though. I see no reason to include him in Smash 4.

Back