• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Teenagers Today?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
  • I thinks unfair how my age teenagers (14)are treated. Me and my friends got told at 8:00Pm on Thursday to go back home by the police, incase we started smashing anything -.- Which I think is quite unfair, just because some horrible kids do something, Innocent kids who want to play in the snow... I like playing in the snow! K?. have to be taken back home. :/ I think the LAW should crack down on older kids, before it can get anymore serious.

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2015
    I thinks unfair how my age teenagers (14)are treated. Me and my friends got told at 8:00Pm on Thursday to go back home by the police, incase we started smashing anything -.- Which I think is quite unfair, just because some horrible kids do something, Innocent kids who want to play in the snow... I like playing in the snow! K?. have to be taken back home. :/ I think the LAW should crack down on older kids, before it can get anymore serious.

I can see your point that it was unfair of that officer to jump to conclusions like that, but you do have to realize that there are other dangers out there. At the risk of sounding like my mother, you have to be careful when roaming around in the dark. There are people out there who do wish to harm you such as those horrible kids you speak of, idiots who don't have the sense to not drink and drive, sex offenders, and muggers. Now that's not to say that when you go out at night you're definitely going to get attacked, but it's a realistic point of view.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years

• Do you think Teenagers that choose to live different lives should be treated the same?
    What the heck is this supposed to even mean? I think you're trying to say if teens that go and do drugs or something like that. Y'know, if you ask me, if smoke a joint everyday after school and are capable of getting straight A's or get Employee of the month, they should be treated the same. But who the hell preforms stellar when they do pot? I think our problem isn't necessarily lifestyle, but productivity, which are correlated through the fact that people who tend to have a "negative" lifestyle are usually unproductive. Mixing up causation with correlation is a bad thing.

Of course, going around doing illegal things doesn't mean you shouldn't be held responsible, either... which sounds kinda like my other take on this question.

• What's your view on Teen pregnancy and how can the LAW make a difference.
    The law does jack ****. Personally, let the girl get laid. What do I care, not my decision. Besides, it'll be her life she's affecting. The law doesn't need to get into it, unless the child she bears is in a negligent/abusive situation.

• Should 16 Year olds and under be aloud on the streets after a certain time?
    I personally feel that we shouldn't have a curfew... but I understand why it exists. A lot of kids where I live are just outright destructive to property in our area, and our house has been vandalized multiple times in the last year. There are people such as myself that are mature enough to find better ways to waste time...

Hell no with driving. As I said earlier, there's a crapload of vandalism and other mischief that happens in our area because some stupid parents couldn't raise their kids to be even slightly respectable. It's also dangerous for inexperienced drivers to be on the road in night by themselves.

Just walking somewhere?... I'm a bit split on this one but I think I tend to lean more towards no because the most dangerous driving occurs at night, and someone could easily not see them.

• What about the younger teens, (14 and under) and how there treated by something that fellow teens do.
    At the age of 14 or 16, you should be held responsible for preforming illegal acts.

I'll be honest... these questions almost sound like a whiny teenager complaining that they don't get enough. Seriously. And that's coming from a teenager. lmfao

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years

• Do you think Teenagers that choose to live different lives should be treated the same?
    What the heck is this supposed to even mean? I think you're trying to say if teens that go and do drugs or something like that. Y'know, if you ask me, if smoke a joint everyday after school and are capable of getting straight A's or get Employee of the month, they should be treated the same. But who the hell preforms stellar when they do pot? I think our problem isn't necessarily lifestyle, but productivity, which are correlated through the fact that people who tend to have a "negative" lifestyle are usually unproductive. Mixing up causation with correlation is a bad thing.

Of course, going around doing illegal things doesn't mean you shouldn't be held responsible, either... which sounds kinda like my other take on this question.

The law does jack ****. Personally, let the girl get laid. What do I care, not my decision. Besides, it'll be her life she's affecting. The law doesn't need to get into it, unless the child she bears is in a negligent/abusive situation.

• Should 16 Year olds and under be aloud on the streets after a certain time?
    I personally feel that we shouldn't have a curfew... but I understand why it exists. A lot of kids where I live are just outright destructive to property in our area, and our house has been vandalized multiple times in the last year. There are people such as myself that are mature enough to find better ways to waste time...

Hell no with driving. As I said earlier, there's a crapload of vandalism and other mischief that happens in our area because some stupid parents couldn't raise their kids to be even slightly respectable. It's also dangerous for inexperienced drivers to be on the road in night by themselves.

Just walking somewhere?... I'm a bit split on this one but I think I tend to lean more towards no because the most dangerous driving occurs at night, and someone could easily not see them.

• What about the younger teens, (14 and under) and how there treated by something that fellow teens do.
    At the age of 14 or 16, you should be held responsible for preforming illegal acts.

I'll be honest... these questions almost sound like a whiny teenager complaining that they don't get enough. Seriously. And that's coming from a teenager. lmfao

Actually, I posted this because Teenagers have gotten a lot of bad press over the past years, and I wanted to see what you guys think.

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
    Years
    My biggest issue is that a looot of places still preach abstinence over safe sex. Trying to get teenagers to be abstinent won't work; no matter what, people will have sex, that's really just natural. Plus, with everyone's attitude, going around saying sex is bad just makes people more want to "rebel" or whatever. You can't deny it. If possible, high schools should have a box of free condoms for students to take. That's what's gonna stop teen pregnancy.

Should 16 Year olds and under be aloud on the streets after a certain time?
    Frankly, no. Especially under 16, when you can't drive. People really need to stop whining about the curfew. It's dark, shady people will always hang around, it's easier to get lost, it's just generally more dangerous. Teenagers are generally reckless and wouldn't be as careful after sunset as they should be.

Again, quite frankly, teenagers aren't given many rights and are generally looked down on because they deserve it. Sure, maybe YOU are the super amazing exception to the generalization of teenagers, but then you should acknowledge that the majority of teenagers think they are invincible and thus don't make the best decisions. Understand that things are the way they are for your own good and live with it. You're only a teenager for 7 years (5 if you don't count 18 and 19), in the scope of things, that's (hopefully) a small percentage of your life.

Roxichu

Blastoff at the Speed of Light
    Years

What do you mean by "different lives"? The question is too broad for me to give a good answer.

What's your view on Teen pregnancy and how can the LAW make a difference.

Honestly, our culture is trying to fight something in our innate natures that was laid down long before our simian ancestors descended from the treetops.

In every species of animal on Earth, reproduction begins shortly after the organism reaches sexual maturity. In humans, this tends to be from around age thirteen to sixteen. Up until a few decades ago, the worldwide norm for teenagers was to be married off around this time as well so Nature can take her course. But now we try to tell teenagers (who are biologically fully adult) not to do something so powerfully rooted in their animal psyche. It's not going to work. Teenage pregnancy is never going to go away, at least not for a billion years or so...however long it took for the "breed as fast as possible" instinct to get rooted in our DNA in the first place. I'm afraid the "LAW" can't do a thing to change this.

What about the younger teens, (14 and under) and how there treated by something that fellow teens do.

If they're not causing trouble, leave them alone. If they are, deal with the individuals, but don't punish the many for the sins of the few.

Years
  • I think most of the "teenagers are horrible drug using, drinking cretins" is a pretty baseless generalization. Sure, there are plenty of bad ones, but there are also plenty of kids who do the right thing and are generally good people.

Teen Pregnancy is a sticky issue. Teaching abstinence alone won't get rid of the problem, there needs to be effective Sex Ed taught along with it.

And, for their own good, I think a curfew would be a good idea, and lots of cities in the US already do this.

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2010
    1)I think most of the "teenagers are horrible drug using, drinking cretins" is a pretty baseless generalization. Sure, there are plenty of bad ones, but there are also plenty of kids who do the right thing and are generally good people.

2)Teen Pregnancy is a sticky issue. Teaching abstinence alone won't get rid of the problem, there needs to be effective Sex Ed taught along with it.

3)And, for their own good, I think a curfew would be a good idea, and lots of cities in the US already do this.

1) I think the reason adults say that teenagers today are "horrible drug using cretins" is because they were as teenagers. Prime example of psychological projection.

2) Not only will abstinence not solve the issue but abstinence for teenagers is very unlikely to take amongst them.

3) I dont really like the curfew I think parents should be the ones setting the curfew not the local governments.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Do you think Teenagers that choose to live different lives should be treated the same?

Depends what you mean by different...."normal" instead of pikeys who smash up houses...should be treat better. If you mean different as in "different sexuality", then they should be treat "the same" as "normal" people....unless they're also pikeys who smash up things...then they should be treat like (bad word not allowed pc xD) with the rest of those sort.

Law? Maybe..."if you think you're daughter's stupid enough to do that....slip a condom in her purse so maybe she'll notice it and the guy will use it" should be a law xD

Na....better Sex Ed and looser rules on abortions? The latter is probably most needed, from what I know.

Not really a problem is it? It 18 year olds who can legally buy alcohol and drive....when they die from alcohol overdose or a crash while racing they're "youths" or "Teens" but when they're good they're "adults"...so maybe we should forbid older people from being out past 8pm :P

I suppose in really rough areas curfews are ok....

What about the younger teens, (14 and under) and how there treated by something
    that fellow teens do.

You mean Year 11s bullying Year 8s? Had that....luckily, guys of all ages have our almost mortal weakness....maybe tell older kids that younger ones are allowed to hit them where it hurts most? But that's actually a lie because we've told the same to the younger kids about older kids? (Younger kids are worse...they think it's funny to lean over and look at you in the toilets....)

And if you mean how they're percieved by society because the 18year-olds who are suddenly classed as teens instead of adults because they've done something bad....educate the older people!

All this is coming from limited experience of course....I live in the country where it's -18 celsius all day long and everybody's too cold to get an ASBO :P
    Still, I notice tourists seem to fear schoolchildren...around 16:00 when school finishes, all the tourists disappear.

Can I just point out one positive thing? As long as teens of the future don't turn into terrorists...(they recently caught a Somali-born 17 year-old wannabe terrorist who'd been planning his bomb since the age of 12...so it doesn't look good xD), some of us are going to be "adults" in a couple of years, and give it 6 or so, and we're all out working, and you'll find we have a more teen-sympathising society, so future teens are happier.....(god, the "phenomenon" of "The teenager" has been around for 50 years....and we're only just getting people used to the idea...)

Years
  • 1) I think the reason adults say that teenagers today are "horrible drug using cretins" is because they were as teenagers. Prime example of psychological projection.

2) Not only will abstinence not solve the issue but abstinence for teenagers is very unlikely to take amongst them.

3) I dont really like the curfew I think parents should be the ones setting the curfew not the local governments.

I think that's part of it. Remember the people foul mouthing my generation were my age (20) in the 60's, so yeah. Makes sense.

Well the curfew applies to everyone, not just teens. In certain cities/towns/townships, you can't be out on the streets after 12 AM or so.

Vyro

Master Douchelord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2014
    Kids these days... Back in MY day, I never smashed windows, or stole cars. Dagnabbit, these kids are giving teens a bad name.

Bellacrose

Lover of Wartortles
    Years
  • Honestly these things should be left up to the individual's guardian(s). They should keep track of their son/daughter. And with the access we have to information, they should be able to see what occurs to those who do what is considered wrong in their society. For them. the boundaries between right and wrong should be clearly placed. As I state this though, I realise everyone grows up in their own unique environment with different experiences. But really young minds are so easily influenced in a deep psychological manner that people refuse to even consider. Instead ones guardian or said law enforcer will just punish them as they see fit. In my point of view and experiences most teens run to their friends rather than their guardian when something occurs. Because they're willing to listen and not say: Honey I'm busy right now. These kind of things make them feel a lack of attention perhaps? Resentment could possibly grow and this could lead to other events. But these are merely theories and thoughts. :)

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • [*]What's your view on Teen pregnancy and how can the LAW make a difference.

Frankly parenting is a huge topic of concern for me and I think there is technically nothing wrong with teen pregnancy. The problem is the ones who tend to get pregnant are the ones who are no where near responsable to raise a child. I've met 30+ olds who aren't responsable enough to raise a child. Though in reality no one is really "ready" to nurture a baby into an adult of todays world but some people just need to slow down. Especially the people who decide they want babies because it's "in" or because babies are cute. It's the biggest responsability one can have in a life and I don't think it's always treated with enough respect as it should be.

On teenagers in general: In the energy drinks thread I said I had a general lack of faith in people my age. I meant more in people who decide to bing on Energy Drinks in the first place. I know many fantastic teens with some real powerful and insightful ideas. But we will always be known by our weakest link and that's something every generation will live with. Sometimes teens do things simply to feel in control of their lives, I've sworn off alcohol myself (to avoid being hypocritical) and I find most kids who do light drugs every once in a while do it just to feel "Free" like they can do whatever they want. Alot of them are fairly bright but inable to cope with peer pressure; teenage years are simply a maturing process, ones that are certainly not easy, but have many...unfortunate outs.

And for some of you that read between the lines: yes, I do blame insuficient parenting on a lot of child issues, though the individual has to be accountable for their own actions as well.

KanadeTenshi

Banned
    Years
    What the hell are you talking about?
    "hey, let's dedicate 90~ minutes to a crappy video about it but remember to teach them about it at 16-17/11th grade!" - My case. Honestly, I felt like "WOW. It took them time to wake up!
    You certainly have a good sense of humor. I'd give you that.
    What about the younger teens, (14 and under) and how there treated by something that fellow teens do.
    Hotheaded people should be put in their place. A few bleedings and they learn to shut up.

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    Lack of morality and religion really has affected most teens of today.
    It's so sad.

Teen pregnancy? Drinking at bars (or anywhere)? Just.....no.
    The law should be more concerned with what is allowed in this country.

Many teens claim that they can take care of themselves, yet they fail to realize that they can't.

I am glad that I'm a very different teen.

Diablerie

Exceptionally Adequate
    Years
  • What about the younger teens, (14 and under) and how there treated by something that fellow teens do. YES. Glad somebody somewhere raised this. I see it everyday, people thinking that all teenagers are beer-guzzling, hormone-driven delinquents. I've never done anything even remotely against the law and I've never gotten below a C on anything in school. And yet, because some teenagers are shoplifting and hassling people and whatever else, it's really widely assumed we're all like that. In fact, a mate of mind had the police called on her once just because she was wearing a hoodie.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • * Do you think Teenagers that choose to live different lives should be treated the same?
    Yes. Definitely. They are human too, and have the same rights, like it or lump it. I rather dislike the idea of being treated like a kid until you hit the age of majority...it should be determined by a legal definition of maturity. :<
    * What's your view on Teen pregnancy and how can the LAW make a difference.
    It's a sad statistic yes...I agree that teens ought not to get pregnant, but sometimes it just happens. It's not like they plan on having a child. It's as simple as a ripped condom or the inability to get a condom because parents are too clingy to understand that they feel the same urges as they did at that age...because of this they may decide not to take the steps necessary to make the sex safe because they'll most certainly meet lots of opposition should the word ever get out to their parents. Hell, some parents freak out if they find so much as a condom or a porn mag. It's probably twice as hard on the girls to get contraceptives because some jurisdictions like to mandate that you must have parental consent, or notice in order to obtain them. The result? Teen Pregnancy is rampant because of the very rules meant to protect and prevent this. Teenagers will rebel. It's best to just allow it to happen and make it easy and accessible to be safe. Once the thrill of rebelling in this way is removed...maybe some teens will think about it a lot more when educated about it.
    * Should 16 Year olds and under be aloud on the streets after a certain time?
    Well, I can see the logic in curfews. Usually if you're out beyond midnight or so, you're either up to no good, or up to something you probably didn't get consent to do.
    * What about the younger teens, (14 and under) and how there treated by something that fellow teens do.
    It's fine to educate them about those things in the hopes that they won't make the same mistake, but they too are people and deserve to be treated as such. Treating them like a child just makes them want to rebel more. If you try a less authoritative approach and avoid laundry listing the things you DON'T WANT them to do, then they're usually not tempted.

I speak of all of this out of experience. Growing up is hell sometimes. It's great sometimes. I understand the need to set limitations to prevent too much trouble, but we must beware of the "Nanny State" because they intrude upon rights which should rightly be granted to a person the moment they become mentally and physically mature enough to manage it. Age of majority shouldn't be 18/19/21 in my opinion...it should be 16/17.

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    I dunno why I'm posting here, because I am guilty of staying out all night drinking and doing weed sometimes, so... (bring on the hate lol)

Do you think Teenagers that choose to live different lives should be treated the same?
    ...Depends on what you mean by that.

Well...just let 'em, really. If they wanna get knocked up, let them. It only gets worrying if they aren't taking care of the child correctly - in that case, just get the child to social services. I mean, you can't stop anyone from having sex - it's just our instinct, and you can't do anything about instinct.

Geoff_P1

Add me on msn etc if you want.
    Years
  • I think all of this blaming teenagers has gone to far out of hand. The older Generation like our grandparents keep "blaming youth these days" but back in the day they were like us! Most of them were getting drunk every night have having kids when they were 15, some studied hard at school and were successful. On their defence I do know that the current youth has got worse and the youth of the future will get worse.

I'm 17, am I a dad? Nope, do I get drunk every night? Nope, do I smoke weed like most other teenagers to look cool? Nope. Who am I? I am myself, I am who I choose to be! I don't like the awaful music they play on the radio like Lady Perry, and Lil Wayne, why not? Because I like 70's, 80's and 90's mostly. If I like any rap it is usually the real rappers, like my favourite artist Tech N9ne.

So, in answer to your question which were
    What's your view on Teen [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]pregnancy[/COLOR][/COLOR] Teenagers Today?
    and how can the LAW make a difference.

1) No
    2) The law can't make a difference because it has got worse, in the UK, we now live in a country where if your house is being robbed you're better off ordering a pizza delivery as they'll be there faster thana copper.
    3) There should be no limit, it will only infuriate them more and during the day they'll do all they can to cause hell to everyone else to get what they want.
    4) I think that this a good question. But personally, I think it's down to the kid to decide the right road to take, but I think that schools are NOT showing enough support to kids and the concenquences they could face, for example being stoned at the age of 15, criminal record etc etc, maybe a few examples of adults that have had it happen to them etc.

I hope you liked my essay lol.

Back