• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The 3DS Information/Discussion Thread

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
  • I had my first go at a 3DS demo and I'll be honest: it was sorta disappointing. Maybe it's just been all of the hype built up around it and all of the incessant television adverts proclaiming it the best thing since sliced bread, but I found the 3D-ness of it merely OK, I guess. The demo was mainly Nintendogs and while they were cute and the graphics were good, the 3D often kept failing slightly (a lot of double vision which I imagine people get used to eventually). There was also a demo movie which was OK, but nothing groundbreaking.

But yet, when I think about it, this was proper 3D stuff without glasses. And, when my eyes weren't acting up, it was 3D. Should I just have gone in with reduced standards?

Years
  • But yet, when I think about it, this was proper 3D stuff without glasses. And, when my eyes weren't acting up, it was 3D. Should I just have gone in with reduced standards?

I think it was a little hard not to get hyped by the media and reviews calling it the must have bit of technology and such, so there would always be people that were disappointed, because they were expecting a crazy 3D experience.

What were you expecting, if you don't mind me asking?​

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    I kept hearing the 3D was a gimmick so I went in with lower expectations. However it ended up being pretty cool and fun.

Haha. I used my old iPod Touch and traded that in to get discount, a lot of it for that matter. I got £150 trade in on it since the store I go to and my mate works at, beats any other trade in price on other stores. Making the final sale price at £59.99! Bargin! 8D​

;-; so jealous right now.

Years
  • ;-; so jealous right now.

Haha. I knowwwwwwwww. I couldn't say no!

I had a derp moment today, mainly due to lack of sleep, but either way. Me and my friend were trying out the street pass thing where you close the 3DS and it will send over the Mii's. It just wouldn't work, and we were trying to figure it out for ages, checking the settings and all that. 5 minutes later I realised my wireless was turn off, which meant the street pass couldn't communicate! XD

DOH!​

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Are there any other good games coming out that are worth looking into?

Haha. I knowwwwwwwww. I couldn't say no!

I had a derp moment today, mainly due to lack of sleep, but either way. Me and my friend were trying out the street pass thing where you close the 3DS and it will send over the Mii's. It just wouldn't work, and we were trying to figure it out for ages, checking the settings and all that. 5 minutes later I realised my wireless was turn off, which meant the street pass couldn't communicate! XD

DOH!​

I had that happen to me but on a laptop. I got all mad and was frantically looking for the answer as to why the computer wouldn't find any wi-fi networks.....it turns out I accidentally turned off the Wi-fi :#

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • I guess its like the previous versions of it^^
    So if you ever played it, then itll be like the same.
    I never played it, so I might get it.

I dont like how the 3DS had bab battery life and a even worse camera :( oh well

I hate how everyone says theirs no good games at launch :(
    Sure theres no "popular" such as mario or the long awaiting OoT (I never liked this..) at launch but why should they be there? cant give out everything good ;)

~Pilotwings Resort
    ~Rayman 3D Im set with this one really, assuming that Rayman 2 is The great escape. Love it <3
    ~One of the racing games
    ~Super monkey ball 3D, I never played this, so it might be enjoyable

I probally wont get all theese right away but whatever xD Rayman 3D plz <3

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I don't know; there aren't many good games for the 3DS other than SSIV, I've heard, so I'm not buying any games for a while. I'll just play Pokémon White on my 3DS for a while.

The battery life isn't too horrible if you put the brightness down, like on many devices. There is also Power Saving Mode which is turned of by default that can be turned on. I don't know if Power Saving Mode restricts anything, though. I haven't seen anything yet, anyway. Well, the titles that I'm looking forward to are Animal Crossing, Mario Kart 3DS, Paper Mario, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, and Kid Icarus: Uprising. A lot of these are TBA, but oh well.

Did anyone hear how the 3DS was hacked for DSi mode in Japan in one day? It's also been hacked in EU and North America now.

Last edited:

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • I still haven'tdecided whether I am going to pick this up. I have heard that the 3D isn't actually that good, but I haven't had a chance to test it, and the games right now don't interest me to much, a few like Yu-Gi-Oh, Shin Megami Tensei and Dragon quest are about all that I really have an interest in. I Just hope pokemon doesn't go on this or I will ofcourse have to buy it.

So I want to know. Is the 3D any good. If it is I may just pick it up when a game I am interested in comes out.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I still haven'tdecided whether I am going to pick this up. I have heard that the 3D isn't actually that good, but I haven't had a chance to test it, and the games right now don't interest me to much, a few like Yu-Gi-Oh, Shin Megami Tensei and Dragon quest are about all that I really have an interest in. I Just hope pokemon doesn't go on this or I will ofcourse have to buy it.

So I want to know. Is the 3D any good. If it is I may just pick it up when a game I am interested in comes out.
    I think you should, if you can stand playing DS games on a screen that is a little smaller/blurryish. The 3D is fine, and if best viewed further away, Nintendo recommends around 12-14 away. Yes, the launch titles aren't really that good, so if you'd like, it can wait. The OS isn't exactly finished right now, because the eShop is coming out in May via system update. About Pokémon... I think they are remaking BW in 3D for the 3DS. Sorry, Charlie!

OMG GUYS I AM SO OBSESSED WTH KINDOM HEARTS THAT I FORGOT HOW EXCITED I AM FOR KINGDOM HEART: DREAM DROP DISTANCE!

Last edited:
    Years
  • I hate how everyone says theirs no good games at launch :(
    Sure theres no "popular" such as mario or the long awaiting OoT (I never liked this..) at launch but why should they be there? cant give out everything good ;)
    <3

I wouldn't say the games aren't good, they just don't appeal to me really. Never really liked Rayman; not my type of game, but some people have said it is fun, even though it is apparently Rayman 2.​

The battery life isn't too horrible if you put the brightness down, like on many devices. There is also Power Saving Mode which is turned of by default that can be turned on. I don't know if Power Saving Mode restricts anything, though. I haven't seen anything yet, anyway. Well, the titles that I'm looking forward to are Animal Crossing, Mario Kart 3DS, Paper Mario, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, and Kid Icarus: Uprising. A lot of these are TBA, but oh well.

Did anyone hear how the 3DS was hacked for DSi mode in Japan in one day? It's also been hacked in EU and North America now.

I don't think it is that bad either. You don't really need the brightness as max unless it is a sunny day and you are outside. It hurts my eyes to have it that bright anyway, so I always have it on the lowest setting.

And I did hear about that in Japan when it was released, didn't know that it had been hacked for the EU and North America. Was always going to happen though.​

I still haven't decided whether I am going to pick this up. I have heard that the 3D isn't actually that good, but I haven't had a chance to test it, and the games right now don't interest me to much, a few like Yu-Gi-Oh, Shin Megami Tensei and Dragon quest are about all that I really have an interest in. I Just hope pokemon doesn't go on this or I will ofcourse have to buy it.

Can't wait for the Yu-Gi-Oh game; do you know anymore about it? Though, I haven't done much research into it yet, I am too busy! :3

I think the 3D is pretty good to be honest. There have mainly been positive reception from it; if I could show you the 3D in action, I would! XD
    However, you can't. I always laughed at that when it was announced at E3.
    "We have a 3D console, however, we can't show you it in 3D. You have to come look at it."
    Makes advertising it interesting, but it was always going to sell like wildfire if the 3D was just half decent, but I think it is more than half decent, IMO anyway.​

I think you should, if you can stant playing DS games on a screen tha is a little smaller/blurryish.

Yes, it is a little blurry, but I don't think it is too much of a problem, if you really want, you can start it up in DS mode which makes the screens the correct resolution, but it is tiny on the screens. You might as well just play it as it is booted.​

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • I haven't looked to much into it but from a fast search there isn't much info on it right now. Just saying it has been confirmed, I will probably pick it up in a few months after my baby and all that is sorted and I know how much money I have. Already spent 150 in 3 days since I got paid on games and not paid for another 3 weeks... Stupid addiction to an online game with a cash shop. But then again. I only spent my overtime money. I still have 100 I can spend on anything I want.

But I think the console is expensive right now for what it offers, Not a fan of 3d as it gives me a headache.

I am so indecisive its annoying. I tend to buy it anyway ahha. My gf is the one that always stops me. So I always make sure to take her with me.

Years
  • I haven't looked to much into it but from a fast search there isn't much info on it right now. Just saying it has been confirmed, I will probably pick it up in a few months after my baby and all that is sorted and I know how much money I have. Already spent 150 in 3 days since I got paid on games and not paid for another 3 weeks... Stupid addiction to an online game with a cash shop. But then again. I only spent my overtime money. I still have 100 I can spend on anything I want.

But I think the console is expensive right now for what it offers, Not a fan of 3d as it gives me a headache.

I am so indecisive its annoying. I tend to buy it anyway ahha. My gf is the one that always stops me. So I always make sure to take her with me.

Can anyone say whipped? :P Haha, I joke! =]

It is expensive, it is more expensive than the Wii, but I think the Wii is dying out. Speaking to my friend who works in the game store, he said they haven't sold one in months. offtopic

I think I would have thought twice about it if I had to pay full price.​

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Yes, it is a little blurry, but I don't think it is too much of a problem, if you really want, you can start it up in DS mode which makes the screens the correct resolution, but it is tiny on the screens. You might as well just play it as it is booted.
    Unless you have a magnifying glass. Then you can look at microscopic DS games >;D

Years
  • Unless you have a magnifying glass. Then you can look at microscopic DS games >;D

LOL!

ALSO!

I went ahead and added a function to share your 3DS friend code. Just go to the Edit Profile page and enter it along with your Steam/XBL/PSN info. :] It'll appear in the "Contact" tab of your profile as well as in your posts next to your IM names.

You can now add your friend codes into your profile that will show up on your forum profile like the others.​

blue

gucci
    Years
  • At first I was getting kinda dizzy with the 3DS but now I'm getting used to it and I'm getting used to (and really into) the games, the graphics are really quite amazing.

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2013
    I'm really interested in the Streetpass function, but I can't seem to find anyone to get this function working yet. Granted the system did just come out, but I work in a mall and go to school nearly everyday so I figured SOMEONE would have it, but I guess I will just have to wait for the random encounter.

Has anyone else been able to exchange data via Streetpass yet? (:

Years
  • I'm really interested in the Streetpass function, but I can't seem to find anyone to get this function working yet. Granted the system did just come out, but I work in a mall and go to school nearly everyday so I figured SOMEONE would have it, but I guess I will just have to wait for the random encounter.

Has anyone else been able to exchange data via Streetpass yet? (:

I have; did it with a friend when we were in University.
    Your wireless has to be turned on as well as the other persons. You don't have to be connected to the internet, so don't worry, but the wireless connection (not to be confused with Internet) is how the streetpass connects and sends over the data.

So you could have your wireless turned on, but the other person might not, or they could have theirs completely turned off, because it needs to be in sleep mode to connect.

I am sure in the next month or so, more and more people will be getting it and more Mii's you can collect!​

Back