• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The 3DS Information/Discussion Thread

Years
  • I'm really interested in the Streetpass function, but I can't seem to find anyone to get this function working yet. Granted the system did just come out, but I work in a mall and go to school nearly everyday so I figured SOMEONE would have it, but I guess I will just have to wait for the random encounter.

Has anyone else been able to exchange data via Streetpass yet? (:

I'm the same :( i went through time at the busiest time and went into about three game strores to do streetpass and not one person had it on D: even though i saw about four people playing it walking down the road "/

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • I don't know anything about this Streetpass stuff, but it sure does seem interesting. I'm getting mine next week on Wednesday, so that should be great! I ended up choosing the Cosmo Blue colour, which just looks better than the Black one at the moment. :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I don't know anything about this Streetpass stuff, but it sure does seem interesting. I'm getting mine next week on Wednesday, so that should be great! I ended up choosing the Cosmo Blue colour, which just looks better than the Stunfisk one at the moment. :)
    I felt kinda bad about getting the Cosmo Blue 3DS for a while, but it turned out not to be so sad. Also, if anyone was wondering, the 3DS has a glossy finish which feels really nice in your hands, but tends to attract fingerprints, especially in the black part of the blue model.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • Decided to pick one up. Didn't even get any games for it just the console right now. nothing interested me so I will just play the ones on it. Good console. I got the black version. Matches all my DS so par except the Pokemon was going to get the black limited edition one but they didn'thave any left so had to settle with white :(

Wonder if they will do and special edition 3DS. Any news on one of them?

Alternative nice OP pic :)

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • So, the Blue one has the glossy feel to it, which I guess is nice. It'll be a lot different to the Black DSi which didn't have a glossy feel. Me and my sister both got a DSi each a couple years ago, a Black and White one, respectively and the White looks so much different to the Black one.

I have a feeling it'll feel somewhat similar to the original DS' feel?

Years
  • I decided to cave and trade in my old DSI with a few games to get the new 3DS. I picked it up with Pro Evo as I could only afford one game at the time and I must say so far I am impressed.

At first the 3D was a bit hard on the eyes, but once you find the correct viewing angle, it isn't a problem. I am struggling to get the Steet Pass working yet though.

Has anyone played the new Pokemon games on it yet? I am thinking about picking the new one up later today and giving it a go. Are we able to play over the internet using the WPA security?

iTeruri

iAm
    Years
  • Has anyone played the new Pokemon games on it yet? I am thinking about picking the new one up later today and giving it a go. Are we able to play over the internet using the WPA security?

I'm curently playing White on my 3DS. Yes, you can use WPA to connect to the GTS, just make sure you turn wireless on before loading the game.
    It won't look as good as on an old model DS, though. You'll either have to play on a tiny screen or on a bigger, resized screen. Neither looks really great, but I got used to the resized screen pretty fast.

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • I bought it and it's awesome! :3

@iTeruri: To me the small screen looks exactly the same as the DS screen; the image quality is as good and the even though the whole 3DS screen is not filled in that mode, it's the same size as the DS screen.

iTeruri

iAm
    Years
  • @iTeruri: To me the small screen looks exactly the same as the DS screen; the image quality is as good and the even though the whole 3DS screen is not filled in that mode, it's the same size as the DS screen.

They have the same size in pixels, but the 3DS has a higher resolution (and thus smaller pixels) than the old DSes so the size in inches/centimeter is smaller. This way quality is retained, but the screen is smaller.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Today I got a notification about a Play Coin. I knew these existed, but I didn't really realize how they worked until today. Once you get 100 steps on the Pedometer(While your DS is closed, because that's the only way the Pedometer works), you get one Play Coin. You can get up to 10 play coins per day, and 300 total. I think that you should be able to get more, but anyway, today I went to the mall and got 2,500 steps because my 3DS was in my pocket on Sleep Mode. I think that developers will probably make a lot of use out of this feature in the future, as Play Coins are exchangeable for in-game material, similarly to the PokéWalker.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • Today I got a notification about a Play Coin. I knew these existed, but I didn't really realize how they worked until today. Once you get 100 steps on the Pedometer(While your DS is closed, because that's the only way the Pedometer works), you get one Play Coin. You can get up to 10 play coins per day, and 300 total. I think that you should be able to get more, but anyway, today I went to the mall and got 2,500 steps because my 3DS was in my pocket on Sleep Mode. I think that developers will probably make a lot of use out of this feature in the future, as Play Coins are exchangeable for in-game material, similarly to the PokéWalker.

I've already used some of my Play Coins for puzzle pieces and a temp hero in the Mii Plaza games. I also used some for some FP in Super Street Fighter IV (because I'm so tired of losing Streetpass matches ;_;). I like the feature, and I hope more game developers find interesting ways to use it, but with the cap at 10 per day I highly doubt it.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I have a question. Can I trade over Wi-Fi using Pokemon Black/White, a 3DS, and WPA security? What about a 3DS, WPA security, and Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/HeartGold/SoulSilver?

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Today I got a notification about a Play Coin. I knew these existed, but I didn't really realize how they worked until today. Once you get 100 steps on the Pedometer(While your DS is closed, because that's the only way the Pedometer works), you get one Play Coin. You can get up to 10 play coins per day, and 300 total. I think that you should be able to get more, but anyway, today I went to the mall and got 2,500 steps because my 3DS was in my pocket on Sleep Mode. I think that developers will probably make a lot of use out of this feature in the future, as Play Coins are exchangeable for in-game material, similarly to the PokéWalker.

Wait... PEDOMETER?!

Is that a joke or something?

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I think it was a little hard not to get hyped by the media and reviews calling it the must have bit of technology and such, so there would always be people that were disappointed, because they were expecting a crazy 3D experience.

What were you expecting, if you don't mind me asking?​

Ack! Forgot I posted in this thread! I guess with all the marketing and hype that surrounded it, I was expecting a 3D experience along the lines of some of the best exploitations of the technology in cinema. Your Avatars and your Toy Story 3s and what have you. Obviously, you can't get that on such a small screen, though (although I was impressed by the size of it relative to my current DS). I could certainly tell the change in depth of focus but... I guess I was expecting things popping out of the screen to me. When playing Nintendogs, for example, I wanted the dogs and cats to come and try and actually jump out of the screen and lick my face. Instead of making me feel like I was there, the game just made me feel like I was watching a larger room with the dogs and cats in it, but still behind a screen.

Maybe the demonstration setting wasn't the best time to see it, though... I imagine I'll end up getting one in about a year's time, or maybe for Christmas. Who knows?!

Years
  • I have a question. Can I trade over Wi-Fi using Pokemon Black/White, a 3DS, and WPA security? What about a 3DS, WPA security, and Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/HeartGold/SoulSilver?

You can on Black, its the only way I can go on wi-fi since the DS can only use WEP.

I'll haven't been on HG lately so I'm not sure.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Err... no... a pedometer is something which measures how many steps one takes, like when you're a pedestrian.

Yeah, my fault. I completely forgot about that, and for some reason my mind jumped to pedobear. Hehe. Still a funny thought.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Is the 3DS the exact size as a DS lite? I've seen it in person but couldn't really tell. It was definitely similar.

Yeah, my fault. I completely forgot about that, and for some reason my mind jumped to pedobear. Hehe. Still a funny thought.

Thought of this
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Is the 3DS the exact size as a DS lite? I've seen it in person but couldn't really tell. It was definitely similar.

Thought of this
    Spoiler:

I fell out of my chair :/
    This is because the word pedo has two different meanings, one from Greek and one from Latin. One is pertaining to children, and one is pertaining to feet. Anyway, since no one really cares...
    Yes, I have actually compared the 3DS to the DS Lite, and the sizes are exactly the same, which is very good, so we don't have a DS Phat size :/ Also, the sizes above are exact o__o'' Like, I held my 3DS up to my computer screen, and it literally was that size.

Back