• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The 3DS Information/Discussion Thread

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'm pretty sure that there's a turnabout brewing for the 3DS. Especially when its price is now... well, lower than the cheapest PSP that you can get in Japan...

With the heavy hitters coming out, and Vita still not being out, I have a feeling that the 3DS, with the price drop, might finally reach its target.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I think that $170 may have been a mite too low, I'd personally say 180 is perfect even as a desperation maneuver. As for the Ambassador program, what do y'all think of that? 20 free eShop games, 10 NES and 10 apparently-exclusive GBA games. I think that it's suitable compensation (well, so long as you ignore caveat emptor).

Yoshi's Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™
    Wild Mass Guessing time: They revealed 5 GBA games. They said we get 10.

There were how many Pokemon GBA games? 5.

I'm obviously probably dead wrong, but the thought makes me happy. Now give me my Boktai and GBA Earthbounds and I'll be on my way.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    I think that $170 may have been a mite too low, I'd personally say 180 is perfect even as a desperation maneuver. As for the Ambassador program, what do y'all think of that? 20 free eShop games, 10 NES and 10 apparently-exclusive GBA games. I think that it's suitable compensation (well, so long as you ignore caveat emptor).

Wild Mass Guessing time: They revealed 5 GBA games. They said we get 10.

There were how many Pokemon GBA games? 5.

I'm obviously probably dead wrong, but the thought makes me happy. Now give me my Boktai and GBA Earthbounds and I'll be on my way.

5 GBC / 5 GBA. I wish a pokemon game, though how to render those into 3D. Would still be cool though.

Years
    None of the twenty games for "Ambassadors" will be 3D-enhanced. They'll be direct ports and whatnot.

I didn't think for one second that Nintendo would have done anything except port the games since they are giving them away for free.
    They should have done a bit of polishing on them though...​

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I didn't think for one second that Nintendo would have done anything except port the games since they are giving them away for free.
    They should have done a bit of polishing on them though...​

Right, they're only changing up the games marked as "3D Classics". Other than that, everything is a direct port.

Also, is it possible to stop upscaling of VC games?

Late

Pokémon Artist
    Years
    I'm hoping for multiplayer as there's Mario Kart in the list too. NES games were already confirmed that they'll have multiplayer when they get available to everyone but what I've seen there's no mention o multiplayer GBA games.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I'd rather have free 3DSware titles instead of NES and GBA games I already have, but whatever. I'll take what I can get. It's free.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Ok so I got something about Nintendo Video.

Why cant you view previous videos?
    Do you think this is a bad idea?
    Nintendo does not understand digital distribution. Plain and simple.

Everything they offer is in an RSS feed-like setup.

If it's old, good luck ever finding it in the case of WiiWare, etc. And with Nintendo Video, new videos replace the old ones completely.

Not that I have any desire to watch that one short of "Dinosaur Office" repeatedly and forever, but it just shows Nintendo's... attitude

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I think the mentality is that Nintendo Video is basically providing elongated 3D commercials. There may a few exceptions, but after the first pass, that's what it feels like (bar, perhaps, the OK GO video). I suppose you could conceivably store the files for the video on the computer or something, and the 4-at-a-time thing keeps your memory card reasonable. But so far it just feels like advertising. Maybe I won't mind that when they show trailers for a game I'm excited about.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Maybe I won't mind that when they show trailers for a game I'm excited about.
    They already do that in the eShop though, such as with OoT before it came out. Unless you just mean those games didn't excite you.

Hypno

OT: Eggaro
    Years
    People who own a 3DS most likely own or have played the games that Nintendo is offering, hence why we got a 3DS, but oh well, hopefully there's at least 2 or 3 games that I haven't played.

Years
    I think I'm going to sell mine and then rebuy it when there is a suitable level of games available.

Chances are the price will drop a fair bit by then anyway. :D

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    They already do that in the eShop though, such as with OoT before it came out. Unless you just mean those games didn't excite you.
    Well, they have the one video. But lots of games have multiple trailers of varying lengths, and some of the eShop trailers weren't in 3D.

New theory: Nintendo should have "channels" for Nintendo Video. You select up to 4, like College Humor/Nintendo News/Music Videos/Whatever Else out of a longer list, and it downloads the current videos for the those channels, basically providing more variety and customization. People like variety and customization.

Quoth a little post on nintendo3dsblog, the Ambassadors are currently set to receive their complimentary games with an unfinished interface. No suspending the game with Home, no save states, no sleep mode, no multiplayer, wireless or otherwise (and this, unlike the others, says "not supported", giving the vibe that they aren't even gonna end up fixing this).

Also, is it possible to stop upscaling of VC games?
    Oh, yup. L+R+sel+start as it boots. The GBC makes me happy.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I was under the impression that they would later update the games (the NES ones anyway) and could then update for free too when they do so, or so I recall from the initial announcements anyway. But what's the source on it being like that?

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I was under the impression that they would later update the games (the NES ones anyway) and could then update for free too when they do so, or so I recall from the initial announcements anyway. But what's the source on it being like that?

Pretty sure that stuff will get updated to take advantage of the 3DS features and proper emulation. No doubt about that - it's just that they had to do it quickly. At least the NES titles will get updated when they do go on sale. That's a will, not a may. Pretty sure the press release had that...

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    No - it's just vague rumours with no evidence and Pokemon Emerald would be really darn unlikely. Consider false until proven otherwise.

Back