• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The 3DS Information/Discussion Thread

Years
    I encountered a problem with my black version. My connection works fine on wifi when I go into the wifi room, but even with my friends fc put in correctly he doesn't even show ip in the room.There isn't any error codes he just doesn't show up. I'm using a 3ds and he is using a DSi. I'm using a WPA2-PSK (AES) security

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
    I encountered a problem with my black version. My connection works fine on wifi when I go into the wifi room, but even with my friends fc put in correctly he doesn't even show ip in the room.There isn't any error codes he just doesn't show up. I'm using a 3ds and he is using a DSi. I'm using a WPA2-PSK (AES) security

I don't have any problems with mine, the security I'm using is WEP though. Also does your friend have your FC? You both need to be added for it to work, but I think you already know that...

Late

Pokémon Artist
    Years
    If anyone is interested, this is the official NES ambassador game list for japan:

Super Mario Bros.
    The Legend of Zelda
    Ice Climber
    Balloon Fight
    Donkey Kong Jr.
    Wrecking Crew
    NES Open Tournament Golf (called Mario Open Golf in Japan)
    Yoshi (known as Yoshi's Egg in Japan)
    Metroid
    Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/ambassador/detail.html#fc

PS. North America confirmed to have exactly same games

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Lots of talk lately about Nintendo scrambling to release a rebadged 3DS with less emphasis on the 3D aspects among other things. Validity of the these claims notwithstanding, it'd make a somewhat decent way to work around the lacklustre quality of the visuals that the 3DS can output, seeing as current 3DS games are designed around the severe drop in quality by rendering two viewpoints at once. This leaves the graphics hamstrung even in 2D mode, because you can't just suddenly make the characters more detailed and the textures sharper and clearer the minute you turn down the 3D slider.

It would be one way to help the poor battery life, too - and seeing as 3D is not actually a gameplay changing experience it doesn't hamper games to not run in 3D.

Unfortunately, the process of manufacturing the necessary 3D screen also resulted in the system having an extremely poor resolution in comparison to anything else on the market, and that probably has just a great effect on how the games look at this level - you can push as many polygons and pixel shaders on screen as you like but it won't help when you're displaying a screen resolution similar to most N64 and Playstation games. I think this is something that will become much more apparent once the Playstation Vita hits, but it's still noticeable when you look at the current line-up of smartphone devices.

For comparison, the 3DS's top screen (400 x 240 pixels) has half the resolution of high-end Android smartphones (800 x 480 pixels) and less than half the resolution of the iPhone 4 or the Playstation Vita (960 x 544 pixels).

I think Nintendo have stumbled very badly this time around, and unless they can really push the new price-drop 3DS (and actually make people aware that this is a new system entirely) with popular games that will sell the system, they're going to face their greatest competition yet in both the smart phone market and Sony's Playstation Vita - Sony learned from their mistakes that the PSP took too long to have worthwhile games and seems to be trying to launch with both titles that people are anticipating and a similar emphasis on social / online functionality like the big consoles and smartphones can provide.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Heads up: Japan and North American-designated regions now have them. Check "Your Downloads" in "Settings/Other" to redownload. Note that you may not see it - if that happens, try again after a few minutes. I got all of them NES titles and the cert now.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016

Looks kinda meh to me, it might just be the scan but it looks much smaller and a little off. Did they really have to make a whole cradle though? xD It must do something else.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Me? Well, I think I'll be buying the control add-on, too, if only for the better controls and comfort while holding it. Though it's probably going to stay inside my home and not to be seen outside. It looks positively huge!

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013

Looks kinda meh to me, it might just be the scan but it looks much smaller and a little off. Did they really have to make a whole cradle though? xD It must do something else.

Designing the peripheral like that is about the only way to keep the device comfortable to hold. Having it only cover one edge would make the attachment easier to break off and screw up how you hold the sides of the system.

Ideally they should never have released the thing without twin-sticks, but that's a price they're paying until they can release the revised 3DS model.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I don't really think a second analog stick was ever needed at all, I've been using it find with all my games so far, I don't see what the fuss is about.

From what I've heard, this might just be bundled with the new Monster Hunter game when released in japan, in which it'll probably help within the game or whatever. Kind of like how the black (?) Classic Controller was bundled with the Wii game.

I'm still against this redesign theory people keep making out so soon. Considering the price drop, Nintendo are seemingly confident with the 3DS right now (it still has it flaws, including that damn bottom screen) and they probably go along with what Sony did and wait a while, since they may be selling at a loss. (that's not exactly confirmed) idk.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Yeah it's only fuss about being able to freely control the camera in any third-person game, free simultaneous movement / aiming in first-person action games and pretty much every single other legitimate use for having two analogue sticks that games have been doing since the Dual Shock 1 came out.

A touch screen isn't a viable substitute for a lot of this stuff.

Ha ha ha holy **** the second control stick takes a AAA battery and will be used by Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil and Kingdom Hearts among others.

Nintendo please stop you're too funny.

Last edited by a moderator:

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Ha ha ha holy **** the second control stick takes a AAA battery and will be used by Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil and Kingdom Hearts among others.

Nintendo please stop you're too funny.

This is what happens when the only interface it's using is IR and not the charging port.

Pretty sure that I'll be using it at home only. Batteries, and clunkiness...

*Goes off to prepare to buy rechargeable AAA batteries*

Years
    Uhhh really? You have to use batteries with it? This really does seem like they are just trying to fix a problem with the first thing that came to mind and selling the first thing they made.​

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Uhhh really? You have to use batteries with it? This really does seem like they are just trying to fix a problem with the first thing that came to mind and selling the first thing they made.​

That thing can't run off the system battery because the only communication it does is through IR.

Besides, it's optional. It can be skipped. Though, there are quite a lot of titles going to support it, so...

Your best bet is to get a set of rechargeable AAA batteries, so that you can reuse them, and when one of them drains, you can send the drained one to the charger and swap it for the next in line.

Spoiler:

Back/side view of the add-on. I must say that it actually looks OK and is probably comfortable to hold compared to the flat 3DS.

Last edited:
    Years

That thing can't run off the system battery because the only communication it does is through IR.

Besides, it's optional. It can be skipped. Though, there are quite a lot of titles going to support it, so...

Your best bet is to get a set of rechargeable AAA batteries, so that you can reuse them, and when one of them drains, you can send the drained one to the charger and swap it for the next in line.

Spoiler:

Back/side view of the add-on. I must say that it actually looks OK and is probably comfortable to hold compared to the flat 3DS.

Yes, thank you. I know about rechargeable batteries. What I was getting at is how stupid it is to have standard batteries where you really should have a lithium in these things. Maybe it is too small to warrant a lithium battery, but this all boils down to Nintendo really mucking up and should have thought about this before they decided to rush the 3DS to market.
    Also, you say I can skip it, but if you want to play the games, you can't really because it is going to be pretty essential in the gameplay. Just another way for Nintendo to force you to spend money on an essential bit of kit. They did the same for the Wii, bringing out the Wiimotion+ and making you buy that if you actually want the Wiimote to do what you wanted it to do in the first place.​

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Also, you say I can skip it, but if you want to play the games, you can't really because it is going to be pretty essential in the gameplay. Just another way for Nintendo to force you to spend money on an essential bit of kit. They did the same for the Wii, bringing out the Wiimotion+ and making you buy that if you actually want the Wiimote to do what you wanted it to do in the first place.​

Essential, huh? Hmm... Perhaps. It all depends on whether the developers can compensate for the lack of add-on when designing controls. Keep in mind that your finger works on the touch screen.

Back