• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The 3DS Information/Discussion Thread

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    That's not a substitute because it's slow, imprecise and much harder to use alongside the buttons.

Slow? Keep the buttons close to the left and right edges of the screen.
    Imprecise? Larger buttons.
    Harder to use? Yes. But it probably will still work well enough in most circumstances, despite not being the optimal plan. Or tweak the controls again - a simplified version for single-analog gaming.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    I'd like to see you use a touchscreen for camera control in any sort of fast-paced situation. Or do anything with it in a timely manner while shifting your thumb from buttons to screen and back again. Or we can just mess up how a game plays because somebody didn't design a system with a control scheme that's been standard since 2001.

Anyway, I just noticed something.

When Nintendo began re-releasing The Legend of Zelda, first through a promotional pack for the Gamecube, then the Classic NES series for GBA and Virtual Console release for the Wii, they went back and re-wrote the games' text to improve the quality of the translation. I only checked the opening text, but that was completely changed to more natural English, and corrected the 'Gannon' mis-spelling from the original NES release. You can tell this apart by the game's title screen being dated "1986 - 2003 Nintendo".

Guess what Nintendo did for the Ambassador's release of The Legend of Zelda?

They used the original NES ROM with a useless translation.

Real nice way to show how much you care, guys.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'd like to see you use a touchscreen for camera control in any sort of fast-paced situation. Or do anything with it in a timely manner while shifting your thumb from buttons to screen and back again. Or we can just mess up how a game plays because somebody didn't design a system with a control scheme that's been standard since 2001.

When Nintendo began re-releasing The Legend of Zelda, first through a promotional pack for the Gamecube, then the Classic NES series for GBA and Virtual Console release for the Wii, they went back and re-wrote the games' text to improve the quality of the translation. I only checked the opening text, but that was completely changed to more natural English, and corrected the 'Gannon' mis-spelling from the original NES release. You can tell this apart by the game's title screen being dated "1986 - 2003 Nintendo".

1. We'll only know how it actually handles once we actually play it. Too early to say that, I'm afraid. There are ways to un-mess-up things, you know.

2. Who's going to bet that it'll get "fixed" post-update?

Late

Pokémon Artist
    Years
  • I'd like to see you use a touchscreen for camera control in any sort of fast-paced situation. Or do anything with it in a timely manner while shifting your thumb from buttons to screen and back again. Or we can just mess up how a game plays because somebody didn't design a system with a control scheme that's been standard since 2001.

Who actually reads anything in NES Zelda games? First one didn't even need any kind of text in it, it's fully playable without and second Zelda game has people who say: "Hello!", "I am error.", "I know nothing." or something like that with no meaning. There's so few people whose text is even worth reading in the second game.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Man, of course! If only there were NPCs in the original Zelda that gave you info and advice on how to deal with enemies and progress through the game...wait, there are. And they're so poorly written, even in cases outright wrong, that Nintendo saw it necessary to go back and fix what they said.

Did you ever try beating Zelda without consulting your copy of Nintendo Power, or more recently, GameFAQs?

Besides the point, Nintendo are apparently unable to keep track of their own games to make sure they're providing consistent versions of each (The 2003 re-translation is what's sold on the Wii and GBA). Either that or communication between Nintendo Japan and America was so bad they were lead to just distribute the first Zelda ROM they had.

Not to say that Nintendo is alone in doing this, either. SEGA, king of re-selling ROMs of classic video games, went back and fixed a few bugs in Sonic The Hedgehog for one of their complication packs. Needless to say, it's a toss-up whether you get a bugfixed or the original Mega Drive version when you buy one of the hundreds of re-releases of Sonic 1.

Last edited:

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • Using an older ROM isn't even lazy. Surely the ROM that they have on the VC would be much easier for them to find. Maybe they were wanting to use the most nostalgic revision.

(And I thought SEGA were consistently using the most up to date West revision of S1 but what do I know)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • (And I thought SEGA were consistently using the most up to date West revision of S1 but what do I know)
    Did Sonic 1 have revisions in the West? Outside of... I guess Sonic Jam and the bad GBA port? Japan had a couple of revisions on the Genesis (or Mega Drive I guess), a few bug fixes and new background effects. My understanding is Sega would usually take that as a base when they would try to jam an easy mode of Spin Dash to the game in one of the numerous compilations.

Anyway, it is weird that the original version of LoZ and AoL were used. We've had the revised version many times since 2003 - Collector's Edition disc, the GBA ports, Wii Virtual Console. But, the text changes don't really make a huge difference. And I like to believe that NoA mostly did it to appease myself and a few other hardcore Zelda nerds (Nintendo had their own Zelda forum at the time. Nintendo's translation team were among the moderators there. And we'd hound them a lot lol)

Keep in mind that these ambassador ports are "pre-release". We'll get a free upgrade to the paid version when they're released with whatever features they'll add. We know about some multiplayer features in some games. I'm hoping for 3D Classics versions, but I know that won't happen. But, switching the Zelda rom when it comes time for the paid update, probably isn't too unlikely.

Still, not a deal breaker.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • There was one that fixed the spike bug that made it to the west, and the cloud scrolling one that didn't, IIRC.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I totally agree there. The things that people say is completely useless. It's really annoying to see people constantly repeating lines of text like "Hello!" or "I know nothing." or even "I am too busy to talk with a stranger."

Is it really needed?

What was the spike bug again? I don't think I have ever seen it before.

Well, there's just one thing: It shows that Nintendo doesn't really care if they gave away an old ROM rather than the new, translated ROM that works a lot better and gives you good tips about what to do in-game.

Hypno

OT: Eggaro
    Years
  • So what do you guys recommend to fix the self scratching problem that the 3DS has?
    I've tried the Hori screen protectors, but not even that works, the 3DS pretty much is starting to destroy the screen protector.
    I am probably going to buy something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NG3Z0S/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=hi&psc=1
    But I would like to hear what you guys have come up with.

And yes, I could try the whole sticking a micro fiber in the 3DS while closed, but it gets annoying after a while.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    So what do you guys recommend to fix the self scratching problem that the 3DS has?
    I've tried the Hori screen protectors, but not even that works, the 3DS pretty much is starting to destroy the screen protector.
    I am probably going to buy something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NG3Z0S/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=hi&psc=1
    But I would like to hear what you guys have come up with.

And yes, I could try the whole sticking a micro fiber in the 3DS while closed, but it gets annoying after a while.

Have you ever tried sending the 3DS in if it's still in warranty? (It should)

If not, try to find something that has an adhesive side and a non-adhesive side at opposites that's not too thick nor too thin and soft enough, and stick it to the edges of the upper screen.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • What was the spike bug again? I don't think I have ever seen it before.

Getting hit by spikes wouldn't give you a moment of invincibility, so if you land on spikes again straight after, you die, basically.

GAME is doing a deal where you can trade in a DSi and get a Red 3DS for only £50. I hate having a borked Lite.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Who's playing Four Swords on their 3DS? I downloaded it to my DSi, and I'll play it on there too just for sake of avoiding the ugly resolution blow-up. Might download an extra copy to my 3DS before February though.

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years
  • I'm playing it on my 3DS. I haven't touched my DSi in a little while, actually. xD;
    I don't see what's so bad about the resolution difference, it doesn't really affect much at all. o3o

Oh yeah, has everyone downloaded the new 3D trailers? They're very nice, indeed. :D

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I'll have to take a look at the new trailers...now that I can see 3D again since my left eye actually has vision. XD

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'll have to take a look at the new trailers...now that I can see 3D again since my left eye actually has vision. XD

Wait a sec - was there originally a problem, or "problem" with your left eye? I'm getting curious...

I think I like the new trailers. Aside from the fact that all Japanese text is left untranslated... maybe it's because they were directly ripped from the Japanese trailers?

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Did you guys enable notifications for the previews?

I just got 6 SpotPass notifications, which are all... game codes that start with JJ and end with E, and (en) appended to the end. They are all blank.

Is this their way of testing notifications via online?

Late

Pokémon Artist
    Years
  • Did you ever try beating Zelda without consulting your copy of Nintendo Power, or more recently, GameFAQs?

Just to say, I never use any kind of walkthrough before trying everything. I've used internet once to help me in Zelda 1 as I couldn't find dungeon 8 but that was the only thing I needed to check up to get through the game. By the way, I have never even visited GameFAQs ;)

Back