• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

>>> The April DCC thread of doom <<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    And, I've heard that over on Fox news, Jack Thompson is already blaming this all on video games and saying that they trained the killer, which is total BS since we know nothing about the killer.
    Leave it up to Jack Thompson to use video games as a scapegoat for gun violence.

Let's dress Thompson up as an Iraqi policeman and dump him in Sadr City or some other lawless part of Baghdad with his bare hands as his only armaments. When the militiamen start shooting at him, he'll blame the Iraqi insurgency on video games. Had Thompson been living in Bosnia during the 1990s, he would have blamed the Siege of Sarajevo and the Srebrenica massacre (among a great many other atrocities committed by the Serbs) on video games.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I've never had a warehouse job, so I really wouldn't know. =X My best friend from home is working there and he wants me to join him. The pay was the main thing I found attractive about it. XD We'll see if I end up there or not.

You should check that out though about the merchant marine opportunity. Sounds like it would be great. XD

I havn't seen those vidz yet. I was away at a friend's house hanging out for a bit, so I havn't seen the news recently. Although I did just see two VT students interviewed and it was interesting to see their take on the whole thing.
    A lot of it is pretty easy work, it's just so mundane that you'll end up hating it so fast. I never, ever, ever want to work at one of those places again. Don't let my experience impede on your eagerness for your new job though. XD

It is a great job, get to travel all over the world and stuff - and make quite a bit of money while I'm at it. I'm just fearful that something will happen to me there and I'll have no backup career or anything to fall back on. I've got until September to figure it out, I really want to...but I think far too much about the future sometimes. XD

It was a pretty eerie video to watch. The guy filming it was hiding behind some stuff and the police were just running around trying to find the source of the gun shots. In total, there were 27 gun shots.

Leave it up to Jack Thompson to use video games as a scapegoat for gun violence.

Let's dress Thompson up as an Iraqi policeman and dump him in Sadr City or some other lawless part of Baghdad with his bare hands as his only armaments. When the militiamen start shooting at him, he'll blame the Iraqi insurgency on video games. Had Thompson been living in Bosnia during the 1990s, he would have blamed the Siege of Sarajevo and the Srebrenica massacre (among a great many other atrocities committed by the Serbs) on video games.
    The sad truth is that he would do all of that. He doesn't want to accept the fact that a lot of American parents these days are just so inexperienced and unfit for their roles of raising children properly. Now, in this case, you can't totally blame the parents because the guy was probably living on his own, but does that still mean video games are the cause? Hell no. He's just using it as a scapegoat to hide all of the problems this country has. What the shooter did was his fault, ultimately he made the stupid choice to kill those people, he pulled the trigger, not some video game.

Blah. Wasn't JT disbarred last year? Why do people still listen to him?

Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2007
    Well yeah, office work is good if you want to work alone, some people could possibly like talking and chatting and want a talkitive social job, bar tender, shop assistant. But that could be boring.

Hope I have been on topic. DX

MegaFuz

Über Title
    Years
    A lot of it is pretty easy work, it's just so mundane that you'll end up hating it so fast. I never, ever, ever want to work at one of those places again. Don't let my experience impede on your eagerness for your new job though. XD

It is a great job, get to travel all over the world and stuff - and make quite a bit of money while I'm at it. I'm just fearful that something will happen to me there and I'll have no backup career or anything to fall back on. I've got until September to figure it out, I really want to...but I think far too much about the future sometimes. XD

It was a pretty eerie video to watch. The guy filming it was hiding behind some stuff and the police were just running around trying to find the source of the gun shots. In total, there were 27 gun shots.

It's too late. You've scared me away already. XD

I thought you would only do it for a short period of time, then return to college? I never really plan for the future. =X It's kind of bad, but whatever. I live for the moment. XD

I would imagine it would be quite eerie. Similar to the Saddam Hussein execution on YouTube. I don't know why that d00d would hang around to film that, though. I would have been soooo gone. =\

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
    I've never had a warehouse job, so I really wouldn't know. =X My best friend from home is working there and he wants me to join him. The pay was the main thing I found attractive about it. XD We'll see if I end up there or not.
    I've done warehousing work in the past, it was pretty enjoyable. I guess it just depends on the specific place you work. When I was doing it, albeit for a fairly short amount of time, it was quite varied work that involved working and integrating with different people. And the type of people you get working in those places are the type of people I get along with the best. They've always seemed to love joking and goofing off and stuff, but they were always willing to lend a hand when needed.

I had no complaints about working there. My only qualms were that it was only temporary and it was a 6am-2pm shift, otherwise I'd have loved to carry on there longer.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    It's too late. You've scared me away already. XD

I thought you would only do it for a short period of time, then return to college? I never really plan for the future. =X It's kind of bad, but whatever. I live for the moment. XD

I would imagine it would be quite eerie. Similar to the Saddam Hussein execution on YouTube. I don't know why that d00d would hang around to film that, though. I would have been soooo gone. =\
    Then...start looking for an office job! XD

A short period of time would be along the lines of four months or so. I'm not sure if I'd be allowed to keep my student/financial aid until I returned from overseas and stuff. If I am, I'll take the job. It'll be great experience and I get to see all those other countries for free. Maybe you should get into it for a few months? You might like it, we even get to deal with pirates! XD I don't really like planning too far ahead in the future, but sometimes I just worry myself into doing so.

Yeah...my stupid self actually decided to see that hanging video, a lot of times. Then to top it off, a bunch of TV channels aired the video. Sometimes I think I'm waaaaay too curious for my own good. The video shown on TV today wasn't really graphic or anything, it's just so strange to know what's going on every time one of the shots was fired.

I've done warehousing work in the past, it was pretty enjoyable. I guess it just depends on the specific place you work. When I was doing it, albeit for a fairly short amount of time, it was quite varied work that involved working and integrating with different people. And the type of people you get working in those places are the type of people I get along with the best. They've always seemed to love joking and goofing off and stuff, but they were always willing to lend a hand when needed.

I had no complaints about working there. My only qualms were that it was only temporary and it was a 6am-2pm shift, otherwise I'd have loved to carry on there longer.
    Yeah, I guess it it really depends on where you work. I never landed in a good warehouse to work at, so none of my experiences are that terribly pleasant. Not to mention that a lot (all) of the guys I knew there were total dicks, so that just compounded it for me. They never bothered to help me out and it's like they always lived in their own damn clique...and there's the whole "injuring myself a lot" thing, but I'm sure you know plenty about that. Almost all of my other jobs have been enjoyable though, I do enjoy working hands on, but if I was given the choice between office job and the places I've worked at, I'd go with the office job.

Last edited:

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    The sad truth is that he would do all of that. He doesn't want to accept the fact that a lot of American parents these days are just so inexperienced and unfit for their roles of raising children properly. Now, in this case, you can't totally blame the parents because the guy was probably living on his own, but does that still mean video games are the cause? Hell no. He's just using it as a scapegoat to hide all of the problems this country has. What the shooter did was his fault, ultimately he made the stupid choice to kill those people, he pulled the trigger, not some video game.

Blah. Wasn't JT disbarred last year? Why do people still listen to him?
    Exactly the point I was trying to make. I need not elaborate any further, except for this one minor addendum: Video games do not cause Serbs to slaughter Albanians, Bosniaks, and Croats in cold blood.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Okay, um...we have three different topics going on at once: how video games don't cause shootings, the Virginia Tech shooting, and ...something about warehouse jobs? I am confused as to what to talk about...can we PLEASE stick to just one topic at a time (I won't pick which ones to drop)?

Drummershuff

Ultimate Blargification
    Years
    ...or how about you just reply to one of the topics instead of posting that?

The type of warehouse work I've done it fun to some degree. All the people there are extremely friendly and I have lots of laughs. I'm sometimes treated with more respect because I'm the youngest there though, but more so than not I'm treated with the same language as all the others. XD I've made some good friends that if I ever left I'd keep in contact with.

The hours in the warehouse are way too long for me to consider doing it full time. It's like, 6am to 5pm, six days a week which I think it too much for anyone to do really. And in the winter the hours are sometimes over 13 hours. x_x

Last edited:

MegaFuz

Über Title
    Years

Yeah, I'm sure it all depends on the specific place. Getting along with your co-workers will always make a job better. That's what I really love about my current job. I can joke around and have a good time with everyone there. They aren't real strict with their rules either, which I love. I can show up 15 minutes late and they won't say a word. XD

Then...start looking for an office job! XD

A short period of time would be along the lines of four months or so. I'm not sure if I'd be allowed to keep my student/financial aid until I returned from overseas and stuff. If I am, I'll take the job. It'll be great experience and I get to see all those other countries for free. Maybe you should get into it for a few months? You might like it, we even get to deal with pirates! XD I don't really like planning too far ahead in the future, but sometimes I just worry myself into doing so.

Yeah...my stupid self actually decided to see that hanging video, a lot of times. Then to top it off, a bunch of TV channels aired the video. Sometimes I think I'm waaaaay too curious for my own good. The video shown on TV today wasn't really graphic or anything, it's just so strange to know what's going on every time one of the shots was fired.

Yeah, I guess it it really depends on where you work. I never landed in a good warehouse to work at, so none of my experiences are that terribly pleasant. Not to mention that a lot (all) of the guys I knew there were total dicks, so that just compounded it for me. They never bothered to help me out and it's like they always lived in their own damn clique...and there's the whole "injuring myself a lot" thing, but I'm sure you know plenty about that. Almost all of my other jobs have been enjoyable though, I do enjoy working hands on, but if I was given the choice between office job and the places I've worked at, I'd go with the office job.

I love traveling, so yeah...that sounds great! Pirates are always a good thing as well. ;D

I know what you mean. I've always been far too curious about those type of things. I'd really like to see that video, I still havn't caught it yet. And to think my friend experienced all of that first hand. It really weirded me out when he told me he heard the shots go off. o.o;;

Working with a group of dicks will certainly ruin an otherwise enjoyable job. I've never injured myself on the job. *knocks on wood* Let's hope it stays that way as well. XD

The type of warehouse work I've done it fun to some degree. All the people there are extremely friendly and I have lots of laughs. I'm sometimes treated with more respect because I'm the youngest there though, but more so than not I'm treated with the same language as all the others. XD I've made some good friends that if I ever left I'd keep in contact with.

The hours in the warehouse are way too long for me to consider doing it full time. It's like, 6am to 5pm, six days a week which I think it too much for anyone to do really. And in the winter the hours are sometimes over 13 hours. x_x

lolz.

My one boss at my current job always comes up to me randomly just to tell me dirty jokes or stories about him and his buddies out at the bar. He always has something interesting to say. My one other boss wrestles with me and my buddies back in the stock room. All in all, my managers are just crazy people. Like...literally crazy. XDD

I know the job I might get we only work 4 days a week. Monday through Wednesday we get off every week. Long hours would suck, yeah; but with a three day break in there I don't think it would be that bad. I believe the longest shift I would get is 10 hours, which isn't too bad. I've worked some shifts close to that already and didn't mind it all that much.

Drummershuff

Ultimate Blargification
    Years
    lolz.

My one boss at my current job always comes up to me randomly just to tell me dirty jokes or stories about him and his buddies out at the bar. He always has something interesting to say. My one other boss wrestles with me and my buddies back in the stock room. All in all, my managers are just crazy people. Like...literally crazy. XDD

I know the job I might get we only work 4 days a week. Monday through Wednesday we get off every week. Long hours would suck, yeah; but with a three day break in there I don't think it would be that bad. I believe the longest shift I would get is 10 hours, which isn't too bad. I've worked some shifts close to that already and didn't mind it all that much.
    lololz.

I don't see the boss that interviewed me often. He's usually aways out doing something on a Saturday so I never get a chance to speak to him. I usually work with the Sales and Distribution Director or Manager, and I can say that the manager is craazy. The things he does out in the town is unbelievable sometimes. XD I'm quite close to him as I've known him for a few years so he tells me stuff. He's so rude to customers that come in for stuff as well. It's like "stupid old git!" etc. It makes me laugh out loud sometimes and I'm sure some customers think I'm mental or something as he does it while they're looking the other way. XD

The longest shift I've work so far is 7am-4:30pm and that was at Christmas, which isn't that bad to what other jobs offer, but people do that six days a week? I don't get how they can. It mean, it's just so long to be working. I'm whacked after doing my five hour shift, imagine me doing those hours week after week. XD

MegaFuz

Über Title
    Years
    lololz.

I don't see the boss that interviewed me often. He's usually aways out doing something on a Saturday so I never get a chance to speak to him. I usually work with the Sales and Distribution Director or Manager, and I can say that the manager is craazy. The things he does out in the town is unbelievable sometimes. XD I'm quite close to him as I've known him for a few years so he tells me stuff. He's so rude to customers that come in for stuff as well. It's like "stupid old git!" etc. It makes me laugh out loud sometimes and I'm sure some customers think I'm mental or something as he does it while they're looking the other way. XD

The longest shift I've work so far is 7am-4:30pm and that was at Christmas, which isn't that bad to what other jobs offer, but people do that six days a week? I don't get how they can. It mean, it's just so long to be working. I'm whacked after doing my five hour shift, imagine me doing those hours week after week. XD

lolololz.

Ha. I've definitely seen my managers get nasty with customers before. That's always the highlight of the shift when that happens. XDD I have a ton of managers, actually now that I think about it. Probably close to 10 or so. There's only really one that I dislike completely. I used to work with one of my good friends from high school until he quit. The day he quit he got all up in the manager's face that no one likes and reamed him out. That was definitely the highlight of that shift. XD

Working around Christmas time is a friggin nightmare. I dread it every year. x.x

I've always wondered how the heck I'm going to fair when I get out into the real world. My attention span just isn't stable enough to work a long shift day in and day out. Heck...I start to wig out by the end of one of my hour long classes. =X

Drummershuff

Ultimate Blargification
    Years
    lolololz.

Ha. I've definitely seen my managers get nasty with customers before. That's always the highlight of the shift when that happens. XDD I have a ton of managers, actually now that I think about it. Probably close to 10 or so. There's only really one that I dislike completely. I used to work with one of my good friends from high school until he quit. The day he quit he got all up in the manager's face that no one likes and reamed him out. That was definitely the highlight of that shift. XD

Working around Christmas time is a friggin nightmare. I dread it every year. x.x

I've always wondered how the heck I'm going to fair when I get out into the real world. My attention span just isn't stable enough to work a long shift day in and day out. Heck...I start to wig out by the end of one of my hour long classes. =X

I'm not replying to that. D: lololololz

It's not that they're nasty, just rude and sarcastic which makes me laugh... a lot. The only time I've seen people get nasty is with other staff. And occasionally with suppliers on the phone. Other than that it's quite a peaceful place to work. Expect all the machinery, other workers... okay, well it's not peaceful. It's a good environment to work in, shall we say. XD

I actually enjoyed it. Everyone was doing odd jobs making sure everything got out on time, then we all got given gifts before we left on Christmas Eve, it was awesome.

I'm the same as you. At least I've got a few years of normal education to get through before I have to make that major decision. It'll probably be a more active job than an office-based one, though.

MegaFuz

Über Title
    Years
    I'm not replying to that. D: lololololz

It's not that they're nasty, just rude and sarcastic which makes me laugh... a lot. The only time I've seen people get nasty is with other staff. And occasionally with suppliers on the phone. Other than that it's quite a peaceful place to work. Expect all the machinery, other workers... okay, well it's not peaceful. It's a good environment to work in, shall we say. XD

I actually enjoyed it. Everyone was doing odd jobs making sure everything got out on time, then we all got given gifts before we left on Christmas Eve, it was awesome.

I'm the same as you. At least I've got a few years of normal education to get through before I have to make that major decision. It'll probably be a more active job than an office-based one, though.

Me neither. >O lolololololz

Yeah, well I've seen some of both. I've seen co-workers get pretty nasty with each other too. Like I've seen people walk out in the middle of their shift, make accusations of stealing products, all kinds of ugly stuff. =X

The atmosphere can be enjoyable with the Christmas music and decorations and holiday shopping and everything, but certain shifts will just be terribly busy to the point where you either want to kill yourself on the spot of quit and walk out.

Yeah, although my education is now based off of what I'm going to do in the real world. I'm taking mostly general classes right now though, because I'm still not certain what direction I want to go with my career.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009

Ichapokemr said:
    I am confused as to what to talk about...

The problem was deciding which of the three to reply to, which I couldn't do. Of course, there's pretty much only one right now (thank goodness), so...

MegaFuz said:
    Yeah, well I've seen some of both. I've seen co-workers get pretty nasty with each other too. Like I've seen people walk out in the middle of their shift, make accusations of stealing products, all kinds of ugly stuff. =X

The atmosphere can be enjoyable with the Christmas music and decorations and holiday shopping and everything, but certain shifts will just be terribly busy to the point where you either want to kill yourself on the spot of quit and walk out.

Yeah, although my education is now based off of what I'm going to do in the real world. I'm taking mostly general classes right now though, because I'm still not certain what direction I want to go with my career.

I'd have to say that I've never seen a store worker walk out on the job before. I've seen plenty on a smoking break, though...Not too sure which is worse.

By "certain" shifts, you mean the day shift, right? Those major stores get SO crowded around the holidays...especially the really big ones like Wal-Mart or Toys-R-Us. Shopping for groceries becomes such a pain...which gets very bad fast.

I'm pretty much in the same boat...kind of. I have a good idea...

Drummershuff

Ultimate Blargification
    Years
    Me neither. >O lolololololz

Fine. O<

Really? Well we don't really have anything to really steal, so we don't get that often at all. However, currently there is a $2m warehouse and store being constructed up the road, so they'll be employing more people which could led to more arguments between the staff, I guess. There's only five main management, including myself, the rest are just normal workers. I've been told there's going to be at least double the amount of staff when it's all completed, ugh. x_x There's no real arguments between customers because we're not really a store for people. You only get there by knowing someone who's told you about the company which means the person coming is known by a worker. It's much easier to just buy from the store, anyway.

I like keeping myself busy and with the added Christmas spirit it was even better. If I'd have bee working Easter it would have been the same, but sadly I couldn't find the time to go in.

Ah, I see. What's your strongest line of work that you're thinking about going into?

MegaFuz

Über Title
    Years
    I'd have to say that I've never seen a store worker walk out on the job before. I've seen plenty on a smoking break, though...Not too sure which is worse.

By "certain" shifts, you mean the day shift, right? Those major stores get SO crowded around the holidays...especially the really big ones like Wal-Mart or Toys-R-Us. Shopping for groceries becomes such a pain...which gets very bad fast.

I'm pretty much in the same boat...kind of. I have a good idea...

Anti-tobacco, eh? o.o

Not necessarily, no. Just certain shifts get busier than others. It's kind of luck of the draw, with the exception of the day or two before the holiday which is always madness.

An idea is better than no idea at all, I guess. XD

Fine. O<

Really? Well we don't really have anything to really steal, so we don't get that often at all. However, currently there is a $2m warehouse and store being constructed up the road, so they'll be employing more people which could led to more arguments between the staff, I guess. There's only five main management, including myself, the rest are just normal workers. I've been told there's going to be at least double the amount of staff when it's all completed, ugh. x_x There's no real arguments between customers because we're not really a store for people. You only get there by knowing someone who's told you about the company which means the person coming is known by a worker. It's much easier to just buy from the store, anyway.

I like keeping myself busy and with the added Christmas spirit it was even better. If I'd have bee working Easter it would have been the same, but sadly I couldn't find the time to go in.

Ah, I see. What's your strongest line of work that you're thinking about going into?

Yeah, I wouldn't imagine you'd have near as many conflicts in your line of work. Seems like everything is pretty straight forward, not a lot of room for arguments, theft, anything like that.

My sister used to be a waitress and she loved working on Holidays. People are always in the giving mood and you can make a ton of money in tips. I've thought about getting a bartender or waiter job in a restaurant/bar in the town right next to mine. They get a lot of tourists for the massive car shows they have, and I could make great money; on certain weekends especially.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I love traveling, so yeah...that sounds great! Pirates are always a good thing as well. ;D

I know what you mean. I've always been far too curious about those type of things. I'd really like to see that video, I still havn't caught it yet. And to think my friend experienced all of that first hand. It really weirded me out when he told me he heard the shots go off. o.o;;

Working with a group of dicks will certainly ruin an otherwise enjoyable job. I've never injured myself on the job. *knocks on wood* Let's hope it stays that way as well. XD
    Yeah...these pirates aren't that great. They're the kind that will jump on a ship and gun down whoever they see and all you have to defend yourself (and the cargo) is a water canon. Before you take the job, you have to sign a lot of wavers.

I would hate to witness all of that first hand. I've been watching the news for most of the day and just listening to the stories of a bunch of the survivors and it's all pretty sad stuff, especially what some of them did to keep themselves and their classmates alive.

...worded that first part there very badly. XD Hope you never get hurt either, I have a really bad habit of doing that. XD

MegaFuz

Über Title
    Years
    Yeah...these pirates aren't that great. They're the kind that will jump on a ship and gun down whoever they see and all you have to defend yourself (and the cargo) is a water canon. Before you take the job, you have to sign a lot of wavers.

I would hate to witness all of that first hand. I've been watching the news for most of the day and just listening to the stories of a bunch of the survivors and it's all pretty sad stuff, especially what some of them did to keep themselves and their classmates alive.

...worded that first part there very badly. XD Hope you never get hurt either, I have a really bad habit of doing that. XD

Ah, those kind of pirates, eh? I prefer the lot that drink rum all day and fight with swords, personally. XD Why wouldn't they give you more adequate fire power than a lame water cannon? That's like sending troops to Iraq and giving them wet paper towels to fight with.

I know, right? I would be devastated. I feel so bad for them and their families. I can't imagine what's going through the killer's ex-girlfriend's head either. They're basically saying she was the killer's only motive he had to do this. She must be a mess...

I have more of a habit of getting sport-related injuries. I have bad knees thanks to rugby, a lame back thanks to football and weight lifting, and shin splints thanks to cross country. =X

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Ah, those kind of pirates, eh? I prefer the lot that drink rum all day and fight with swords, personally. XD Why wouldn't they give you more adequate fire power than a lame water cannon? That's like sending troops to Iraq and giving them wet paper towels to fight with.

I know, right? I would be devastated. I feel so bad for them and their families. I can't imagine what's going through the killer's ex-girlfriend's head either. They're basically saying she was the killer's only motive he had to do this. She must be a mess...

I have more of a habit of getting sport-related injuries. I have bad knees thanks to rugby, a lame back thanks to football and weight lifting, and shin splints thanks to cross country. =X
    I'm not quite sure, I'll have to look into that...if I have to die, I wanna know why I can't protect myself or anything. But the money would be well worth it~!

He had an ex-girlfriend? I thought he wouldn't have had any real friends at all, let alone a girlfriend. From the way that people talked about him, it seemed like he kept to himself all the time. One student went as far as to say that never heard the guy talk and they had three classes together. Though, if she really was his only motive, she must feel devastated. Probably like the lost lives are her fault.

I have bad knees, that's really my only major deterrent in sports. Though I can usually just get through that pretty easy with some painkillers every now and then. Aside from that, I don't really hurt myself in sports that often...though I can think of plenty of times when my teammates have hurt themselves. It only seems to happen when I'm around though, so it doesn't make me feel that great. XD;

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back