• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Daily Chit-Chat, Chat-Chit, Chit-Chit, Chot-Chut Choot Shoot Chute Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Telling a teacher that you've used Wikipedia would get a ruler to the back of your head, from my experience. X_x
    Ouch. But I'm cool with my AP teacher, if I didn't want to get hit, I'd just stand up, since she's only 5 ft XD

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Probably because some teachers used it in lessons and the filter bypass password probably borked. That happened my junior year at my high school, actually.

My european studies teacher in hs didn't care if we used Wiki for our sources or not.
    Nahh, you still get in trouble if you use it, so I don't see why they won't block it. :/

otakulily

Pokemon is okay, I guess.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    This is what this conversation reminds me about. Unfortunately, it's down now, but it goes to show how hilariously easy it is to edit Wiki.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Which would validate what I said as the reason why it isn't blocked. A teacher probably uses it for some lessons, and the filter bypass software wasn't working right, so they had to unblock YouTube.
    Ah sorry I must have read it to fast D:

But to answer that, teacher computers have complete access to any blocked sites.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    My schools time is 8-3:16 on normal days, on Thursday its 9-3:15, with the bus ride I come home at 4:10. x[

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    With regards to Wikipedia, a friend of mine from university said that when he was at school, some of his friends edited the page of some obscure bacterium to say that he was the discoverer of it. However, they didn't tell him until after about two years, at which point it still hadn't been changed. If any grad student had just looked up Wikipedia and not, say, a textbook/journal article and put that down, that could have meant serious punishment for them!

So, the lesson is: if you want to use Wikipedia, check your sources!

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023

But you have to cite the material you edit into the article, otherwise they remove it.

I prefer Googling my research rather than going to Wikipedia nowadays. You get much more results and it's easier to tell if your information is accurate.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I always preferred the Perry Bible Fellowship myself, since they were usually simple jokes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back