• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The final boss in this game sucks

Chaos Uxie

Spreading Chaos....
    Years
    Oh Man Red Wasnt Harder But insted of some lousy damage battle he got some skill like a real human trainer so i enjoyed the battle sooooooooooooooo much.And it was the most satisfying battle i ever got wohoooooo red and green rocks!!!!!!!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Hmm. I disagree - firstly if you don't do any extra training at all (just beat everyone once, not counting elite four rematch, with a team of 6 pokes, not traded), he's quite the challenge, and remember the game is aimed at young children in the first place. Obviously ten years on, one is more skilled at battling and have a easier deal of it.

Now as well, Lapras more suits the battle due to Hail (Blizzard and Ice resist and all), so it's not all bad there. Furthermore it actually makes more sense for Red to have a Lapras there looking at Red from a Yellow point-of-view - already has Pikachu and all three starters, and Lapras was a gift Pokemon in F/B/Y/FR/LG in Sliph Co as well, rather than what is a random 2nd gen Pokemon.

Years
    I didn't mean to say that Red wasn't hard, just that the change from Espeon to Lapras was unnecessary and dumb imo.

And you can get an Eevee in Yellow, right? In Celadon City? If so then the Silph Co. argument is null.

Although you make a valid point about Game Freak adding the hail and an Ice type, I think Espeon with Psychic was plenty of challenge.

Now that think on it, though, maybe I am complaining too much. Oh well. Still <3 Lapras.

Last edited:

Nemaru

nah
    Years
    Red is an epic fail now. Sure, his Pokemon's levels are still through the roof, but levels aren't even close to what makes someone tough. Every pokemon's moves suck, his team is unbalanced, and there were no challenge-increasing upgrades from GSC. They could've kept Espeon, and added a bunch of 3rd and 4th generation movesets, like adding calm mind to Espeon and Volt Tackle to Pikachu.

Years
    Another thing I'm sorry to see changed is that Blue has a Machamp instead of Alakazam. Alakazam has always been Blue's (and Gary's) signature. Where did the Machamp come from?

Eggie Poo Poo

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
    Years
    I agree, Red is pretty fail in this game. Snorlax with terrible moveset, (no snore and rest, like wtf?) two waters, missing Espeon ...... and Hail to make it easier too.

Poliwagged

is waggin' his tail
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    and Volt Tackle to Pikachu.
    His Pikachu does have Volt Tackle.
    Fail, but points for originality.

Another thing I'm sorry to see changed is that Blue has a Machamp instead of Alakazam. Alakazam has always been Blue's (and Gary's) signature. Where did the Machamp come from?
    Gary's signature was the Arcanine and later the Umbreon.
    Blue's was the Starter and Pidgeot, those were like the only two Pokemon he kept from the start to the end.

He had two psychic pokemon anyway(Alakazm/Exeggutor) so it balanced it a bit, and if I recall someone said that Blue originally had a Machamp in the original Red/Green.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I bet the Lapras was there because of the hail. I half wish they'd do something as a revamp of JUST the old games. no different pokemon, just level rebalancing and the 3d maps.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I didn't mean to say that Red wasn't hard, just that the change from Espeon to Lapras was unnecessary and dumb imo.

And you can get an Eevee in Yellow, right? In Celadon City? If so then the Silph Co. argument is null.

Although you make a valid point about Game Freak adding the hail and an Ice type, I think Espeon with Psychic was plenty of challenge.

Now that think on it, though, maybe I am complaining too much. Oh well. Still <3 Lapras.
    Yes, there is the Eevee-obtainable from Celedon method there, just pointing out that Lapras isn't that odd a choice in being obtained by Red for HG/SS. (And Eevee can evolve into 7 Pokes now/5 pokes then, why Espeon out of them all doesn't appear that special. Furthermore Eevee has been obtainable as a gift Pokemon in every game bar RSE if memory serves). There is the fact it is changed from GSC, but I guess it's up to the player if they like the change or not - and nothing can please everyone. Case in point - Johto gym leaders - (mostly) kept the same in HG/SS in terms of Pokemon used, some people hate it, others like it for keeping to the GSC teams. Personally I don't mind, I feel it's a nod towards the 1st gen team idea, and Lapras wasn't easy by any means either. Ultimately that's what they went with so whether one likes it or not, that's what one's up against with Red.
    I agree, Red is pretty fail in this game. Snorlax with terrible moveset, (no snore and rest, like wtf?) two waters, missing Espeon ...... and Hail to make it easier too.
    Arguably Snore isn't really a strong move and Rest does allow one to set up on it as well... and again remember this game is aimed at young kids and all, and it's unlikely many would know his team beforehand either. I don't really agree that Red is now a 'fail' - maybe easier if you know his team and all, and Snorlax not playing to his strength... but I would not be surprised to see Blizzard catch many a player out on their first battle with him. But this discussion has been had before, no? =P

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2015
    It was still fun... I mean, I had one pokemon left, and that pokemon had 3 hp at the end of the battle. Thank god I took that risk, and attacked, rather than healing. Again.

Stupid Charizards >.>

As for Lapras/Blastoise both being there... Meh. Those were probably the weakest links on the team anyways.

Eggie Poo Poo

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
    Years
    Arguably Snore isn't really a strong move and Rest does allow one to set up on it as well... and again remember this game is aimed at young kids and all, and it's unlikely many would know his team beforehand either. I don't really agree that Red is now a 'fail' - maybe easier if you know his team and all, and Snorlax not playing to his strength... but I would not be surprised to see Blizzard catch many a player out on their first battle with him. But this discussion has been had before, no? =P

I know it's aimed at kids, but the remake is mostly for people who have played it, it's not aimed at new players. The emphasis is for the old classic players who played GSC and want to play a remake. Red was awesomely insanely challenging back in the day because of his Rest and Snore combo, it really smashed your whole party, every single one. You had to be really good to beat him.

"Shadow Lugia"

Haven't used this in a while
    Years
    I know it's aimed at kids, but the remake is mostly for people who have played it, it's not aimed at new players. The emphasis is for the old classic players who played GSC and want to play a remake. Red was awesomely insanely challenging back in the day because of his Rest and Snore combo, it really smashed your whole party, every single one. You had to be really good to beat him.
    I honestly think HG/SS are aimed just as much at people who never played G/S/C as they are at people who have, if not more. Ten years is a long time, and there are many Pokemon fans who came in after G/S/C. To them HG/SS aren't remakes, but rather completely new adventures, which gives them all the more reason to get those games.

On another note, I don't think I've ever had trouble with Red's Snorlax in G/S/C.

GrassGiant

Grass Fan
    Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2014
    Then you must be the #1 king of all Pokemon history from day 1, up to now. You cannot be touched, you are the god and master.

I'm sure at 110% he wasn't meaning that.
    He's just saying that Snorlax never was a challenge to him, so he didn't saw the difference for some people no?

Anywayz. Maybe people think he's harder on G/S/C Because they had a strong fighting type?
    As Fighting gets owned by Espeon but owns Lapras

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Espeon could be the Eevee from Celadon.
    The fact it evolved into Espeon could reflect the fact that there was no night in R/B/Y/FR/LG

Last edited:

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    I have to admit, for some reason the change from Espeon to Lapras really disappoints me, and is the only thing in the game I know of thus far that does.

It just seems... redundant to have two Water-types in. I mean, yeah, Lapras gets boosted by the hail and all, but they didn't need to add the hail. The whole thing just feels like an excuse to throw Espeon out, for some reason.

Plus the reason why Red originally had Espeon in the first place- all of his team were available as one-time (or two in Snorlax's case) events in Yellow. The starters are obvious enough, Lapras is Water just like Blastoise, and Snorlax is fairly popular... then consider that Fire, Electric, and Water are already covered in his team, and that Karen had an Umbreon- Espeon was the only Eeveelution left, of course.

I dunno, I always used Espeon myself, so maybe I'm biased, but I miss the guy.

Symphonic.x.Fantasia

Inactivity is a poison.
    Years
    Espeon could be the Eevee from Celadon.
    The fact it evolved into Eevee could reflect the fact that there was no night in R/B/Y/FR/LG
    We've already established that.
    By the way-
    Something I didn't add before. Lapras would actually make more sense because you're more likely to run into it during the course of the story, providing you don't check every nook and cranny.

Back