• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Good Old Days? Or The 'Orrible Original Series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry Blue5

I vill suck your Electricity..
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    So bascically, which do you prefer? The original Series (Eg. Kanto), or the newer series (Eg. Ash Let Loose on Sinnoh!).

For me? It's a clear win for the Original Series.

Years
    Nostalgia for the old....

Well I like all the seasons, not as much as PokeSpe but it's still on the top of my list of anime to watch. Also go watch WTF? Pokemon on youtube for a comedic look of the first season

Tonya

Brilliant Loser
    Years
    As fun as Kanto was, I prefer Sinnoh. More time is spent on just about everyone, the Gym Leaders in particular. There's actual character development. I didn't feel like there was much drama in the first season and the art is far more detailed.

[Technya]

Chick in riot gear!
    Years
    Original.
    Back when it was funnier (it's always been funny but not so much now), art and details weren't as good now but it was still good, back in Johto (my favorite regain next to Kanto) and I particularly miss AG as well. And most definitely back when the DUB voices didn't make my ears bleed and give me a migraine :)

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
    always the original. Had more... originallity as far as corny dialouge goes, as well as non-cliche moves being used *cough* iron tail, volt tackle, thunderbolt *cough*

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
    Seasons 1 - 5 & Chronicles were the best. The Orignal series wins by far. And I agree. These voice actors don't cut it. I can tell Ash is being voiced by a woman this time (at least Veronica Taylor could disguise her voice to sound like a guy convincingly) and Brock sounds subdued for his personality. God help us if Misty returns... Not to mention all the recurring characters from the original series are gone, gone, gone. No more Ritchie, Sakura, Casey, Aya and so forth. It's like the first half of the show never happened. The only time whatever happened in Kanto, Johto or the Orange Islands are referenced are when Tracey, Misty or Gary shows up!

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    What did you expect people to say?

For me,original, Ash was much funnier then. Plus, I don't like the idea for contest, the plain good old battle was good enough for me. In contests, it's hard to tell if they are doing a good appeal or a bad one, the only way to tell if the appeal was good or bad is by the reaction of the character...

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2008
    For me original Ash was much funny. I like the Kanto Episodes a lot.

Parasite Pyramid

Resident James Lover
    Years
    The original series. The episodes from it are far more entertaining. They contain more humor and center more on Team Rocket (who are the main reason I watch Pokemon). The gym battles are also more fun to watch. Furthermore, I like the animation style better.

I do not mind Johto, though I do find its gym battles dull and some of its filler episodes irritating.

I never cared for AG. May is a better character than Misty, since she actually grows and matures over time instead of becoming as dull as dish water (which is the case with Misty. Even pre-Togepi, I never cared much for her character, anyway. In my opinion, Jessie has always pulled off the ****** red-head archetype better). I do not mind Max, either, since he is a wise-*** kid with a sharp tongue. However, I have never been a fan of contests. I find them boring to watch. The gym battles from AG are also just as stale as the ones from Johto, since they, too, lack the creativity that the ones from the original series have. Furthermore, I HATE most of the filler episodes. The only thing I like about AG is Chimecho, since it functions similarly to an Opium Poppy and even resembles one physically. Sadly, Chimey had to be replaced by a ******* clown, which is not only useless, but annoying.

I have not seen much of DP, but based on what I have seen, it seems just as poor as AG.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    I think the ideal would have been Sinnoh's pacing & graphics combined with the original voices, but barring that...I think I would have to go with the older shows for the time being.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    Fortunately I am unaffected by the dub change when it comes to this. I started watching the raw around late Houen when the dub edits started to get bad. I believe it was round the Liza/Tate episode when I converted and it had nothing to do with PUSA.

Kanto was pretty bad. Most people wont admit it because they find these bad things good and unique.

Plus now the Pokemon anime series is a lot less mainstream than it used to be (back when I first started watching, Pokemon was grossly mainstream to the point where I got a stomachache just thinking about it.

Back in the old days, Ash released Pokemon like crazy, he got half of his badges unfairly, and the show was just crazy.

Now the writers are a lot smarter and the animation is a lot cleaner and a lot better-looking than that stylized crap. Jessie looked horrible back in the first episodes.

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
    I really don't like the animation of the attacks in the newer episodes. EVERY attack lights up in the same fashion. I will admit that it happened alot back in the older episodes but that was back when animation was supposed to suck.

Also the explosion from every attack that connects. Razor leaf+Bubble=Black smoke explosion????

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    I would have to say the old episodes. (The Kanto days)

To be honest, I couldn't even get through the Hoenn series because it was so bad! The Sinnoh series didn't look that much better. In fact, it seems virtually identical, except for the fact that Paul was introduced.

Maybe it's nostalgia... maybe I just think the new episodes stink. Whatever the reason, I refuse to watch anything after Johto. ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back