• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Good Old Days? Or The 'Orrible Original Series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houndoom88

Pokemon Ranger
    Years
    The old episodes were the best TV series.
    Now I don't want to watch them.
    So i prefer the old episodes.

Sweet Candace

So Awesome! /)^ɛ^(\
    Years
    Sorry all you fans of the original, those days are WAY over (and if this sounds like I'm making fun of you, I'm sorry). The Sinnoh series is better because we have three totally different character personailities (Ash's stubborness, Brock, well being Brock, and Dawn's cheerfullness). Anyway, it's Sinnoh, by far

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
    Easily all the seasons where Ash had his original voice. The new one makes my want to hurt a kitten... So yeah the originals ftw xD

Katsu Koneko

明日がある
    Years
    I prefer all of the seasons~ X3 Though I love Shinou/Sinnoh~ :D

Many characters have returned from previous seasons. May, Gary (2 times), Butch & Cassidy, Viridian City Officer Jenny..(though these characters also appear, but don't talk: Max, Harley, Solidad, Drew, Norman, Caroline.)

Also Pokemon of the day have come back too. Team Rocket's Delibird (comes back a couple times) & Hippopatas (comes back two times).

Old concepts have been reintroduced such as the Crossdressing, Pikachu vs Raichu (Pikachu almost died because of that Raichu) & The Thunderstone concepts.

Wallace also makes his anime debut.

The fillers are more interesting (e.g. The Riolu Special with Aura, Ash kicking a Pokemon's eye to escape, and almost dying with Pikachu when Pokemon Hunter J opened a trap door which made them fall onto their doom. If not for a Pokemon Ranger he would have died.), Shinji is a cold-hearted rival (releases his Pokemon when they think they're useless), and Pokemon Hunter J is a villain that isn't easy to face.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    Ugh... the old one is definitely better... The Hoenn and Sinnoh series were basically Ash and Co. meeting the character of the day and learning the same lessons over and over again... And Ash's new voice hurts my ears...

Though my information is a little dated... I don't know where you watch it, but on the channel Pokemon is on where I live he hasn't gotten to Veilstone yet...

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Both had their flaws, and both had their good points. I feel the original series was a little unprofessional. The way the types were ignored for the sake of Ash securing a victory really irritated me. The way battles were performed seemed to be too generic, no strategy really involved. It got better as things progressed, but it still felt a little bit awkward. The good things about the old series was that it showed Ash and Pikachu growing close in bonds. The new series already shows that Ash and Pikachu have a close bond. There is nothing left to grow upon, thus it kind of loses the point.

Harry Blue5

I vill suck your Electricity..
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    Sorry all you fans of the original, those days are WAY over (and if this sounds like I'm making fun of you, I'm sorry). The Sinnoh series is better because we have three totally different character personailities (Ash's stubborness, Brock, well being Brock, and Dawn's cheerfullness). Anyway, it's Sinnoh, by far

Yes, the old series is pretty much never going to be shown on T.V. again. But that doesn't make the Sinnoh region better!

because we have three totally different character personailities (Ash's stubborness, Brock, well being Brock, and Dawn's cheerfullness).

Well, look at it this way, we have FOUR different Personalities in Kanto (Ash's inexperience, it was supposed to be that he would always send out a stupid Pokémon for the match) (Brock was in Kanto too, you know) (Misty's usually calm, yet easily provoke, personalityr) and the fourth? Well, in the series Pikachu doesn't have as much as a personality, he has one, but it's not touched on as much, I won't bother explain it.

PorygonSquared

He's Supposed To Be Dead!!!
    Years
    After they ditched Misty the anime just sucked, badly...
    I cannot understand this fanbase. One character leaves the cast and suddenly everyone goes into "the show can't go on without her!" mode? I can't imagine what would happen if this fanbase was for Doctor Who, in which the cast changes even more frequently. I guess I'll just continue to laugh at the Bring Misty Back lot's perceived self-importance and continue enjoying Pokemon regardless.

Anyways, back on topic. Horrible is kind of a harsh word. Extremely in need of an Abridged Series treatment is more how I view the first season. I'd go on and on about how Ash got deus ex wins and cheap badges, but that was already covered here. The first season did have redeeming qualities, though. The Team Rocket-centred episodes are an example (and I wish they had more backstory episodes in the more recent series for all the characters).

The later series, in my opinion, brought more compelling main characters, if you are willing to give them a chance. The old cast was okay, but underdeveloped in comparison. I actually got into Advance Generation faster due to the character development which was not present in the original series.

Years
    I cannot understand this fanbase. One character leaves the cast and suddenly everyone goes into "the show can't go on without her!" mode? I can't imagine what would happen if this fanbase was for Doctor Who, in which the cast changes even more frequently. I guess I'll just continue to laugh at the Bring Misty Back lot's perceived self-importance and continue enjoying Pokemon regardless.

Have you taken a look at what your Signature says? XD
    Anyway, there is a lot of good things brought from every season. We did get a bit about Jessie & James' backstory but I agree, how about how R got started for instance.

MissMegano

not-so innocent saint
    Years
    I liked how naiive ash was in the first couple of seasons. and it was less predictable. i also think they had more fun adventures than now. like escaping from a sunken ship at the bottom of the sea as opposed to trying to win a pokemon contest. team rocket was funnier then, too.

but i like in the new series how there's so many different pokemon like piplup and drifloon.

yellowparrot

Advanced Trainer
    Years
    For me, Pokemon has really gone down the hole. The originals were much more funnier and entertaining. Now it's just move along, help someone, move along, help someone, move along, help someone, etc. Long story short, IT'S GAY! The new Pokemon barely has any action or backbone to it. An excellent example of better artwork doesn't make a good TV show alone.

Years
    I loved the series better when it was Team Ota who animated it. But I seriously think that what ever happened after season 5 did'nt need to happend at all!
    The plots in the episodes have already been used and the show has become so childish. Season 11 is actually a little bit better. There is many "WOW"-moments and lots of episodes with a plot I had never figured out. But thou they try, Pokémon will never become the same as it was. (They just got too high on succes as I say)

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
    Kanto all the way! Then Orange Islands (close second), Whirlpool, Johto (even though..all those...fillers! *dies*), and after that...is when it starts going really downhill, in my opinion.

-Neko

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2008
    the original up to johto, after that, it just got boring for me. and i agree with the better plots, escaping the SS Anne was my favourite episode from the original series :P

yellowparrot

Advanced Trainer
    Years
    Kanto all the way! /\/ and after that is when it starts going really downhill, in my opinion.
    YES! And as I said before, Pokemon has really gone downhill(sorry to flab about it, but I really need to stress this and get it off my chest).
    The episode plots themselves are really flabby, and lack basic constuction. Not to mention those Team Rockets interrupting the show in every single episode in the book when it is most inconvenient, which makes a already **** series even more ****. I'd rather see them fly a plane into the Empire State Building than watch another Pokemon theft attempt! I used to root for these guys. I'm not saying I hate Pokemon. I grew up with it as a kid, and I loved it. But whoever crafted these new episodes is just braindead stupid. They make it like it's a spinoff of Nick Jr. It's because it sucks, it sucks because it's poor, and it's poor because the people who wrote it suck at writing cartoons for middle school students and should just STOP IT. I mean it! Satoshi Tajiri, if you or any of friends read this, you have just screwed up. Pokemon has just crossed a very thick line between watchable and unwatchable and likeable and unlikeable. I can't even watch it anymore because of how it is! Thank you for reading my rant.

Moderator edit: post modified to a more suitable post. Mind you language and stick to the rules ~Unown_~

Last edited by a moderator:

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    Lol I have to say I enjoyed watching the Original a lot better but I haven't watched that many of the Sinnoh ones.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back