• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Good Old Days? Or The 'Orrible Original Series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    Once again, physics does not apply to this show at all. No attack under an explosion should send anyone flying.

At first, there were real reasons as to why they blast off. Expolding robots, bursting ballons, combined attacks & whatnot. Now, it's gone ridiculous. I understand it's a kids show, but it has changed much.

HAHAHAHAHA. REASONABLY!!!!! Yeah, sure. I mean I can understand a reasonable opinion but not when he says childish things like 'I hide under the covers when they're on' or 'Haha they're trash'. ANd the reason why I nitpick is simply because if he is going to whine about a show than he should at least have the proper facts to do it. I would LOVE it if you replied to what I said, just so i can 'nitpick' some more.

Proper facts? Those were opinions, that he is not allowed to have because you are a hardcore fan of the show. All you did was twist facts. Any reasonably smart person can tell that when he said he "hides under the covers", it was just a joke, or sarcasm, to emplify how much he hates their mottos. All you did was take it seriously, & look at tiny parts of his post to pick on, taking everything seriously, while not providing any real meat to what you've said. He was talking about the decline of quality. And most off,it was a rant on his feelings, not him saying he is right. He is allowed to say why he hates Team Rocket, and he gave good reasoning.

People have real poroblems now too in the show.....your point?

Um, duh. If you had actualy read my post, I said that more realistic problems. More well-thought out issues, not some happy-go-lucky issues. Hell, the guy I qouted said the exact same thing.

If anything, 4Kids had that problem the most. And do you know why they break it down? Think of the target auidence...good. Now think of how old the show is....good. Now think about how old they are and see if they've seen every little snippet of the show and tell me the answer.

And, if you had actually bothered to put a little thought into it, you'll see that we are mad at the decline in quality. We are also fans of the show, and we don't like the decline.

Physics of explosions=nonexistent. Glows are just for dramatic effect.

There's going too far.

The problem is, you have no idea what a rant is. We understand that the show was talored to kids. But we still doin't like it, & we are voicing our opinions. It doesn't go with your fanboy llove of the show, so we must all be wrong? Seriously.

Deadly Arbok

Team Rocket's executive agent
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Apr 12, 2009
    At first, there were real reasons as to why they blast off. Expolding robots, bursting ballons, combined attacks & whatnot. Now, it's gone ridiculous. I understand it's a kids show, but it has changed much.

They still have exploding robots and busting baloons and combined attacks. Only difference is Pokemon themselves may cause an explosion when collided into but that's around it

Proper facts? Those were opinions, that he is not allowed to have because you are a hardcore fan of the show. All you did was twist facts. Any reasonably smart person can tell that when he said he "hides under the covers", it was just a joke, or sarcasm, to emplify how much he hates their mottos. All you did was take it seriously, & look at tiny parts of his post to pick on, taking everything seriously, while not providing any real meat to what you've said. He was talking about the decline of quality. And most off,it was a rant on his feelings, not him saying he is right. He is allowed to say why he hates Team Rocket, and he gave good reasoning.

Ah, so we're insulting other people's intelligence are we? Not very good at all. Judging from his hate on the show in general, it wouldn't have surprised me if he actually did it. Not providing any real meat, hm. What are all of these points I'm pointing out to him, rebutting his facts, that's not meat at all. I never said he had to LIKE them at all.

Um, duh. If you had actualy read my post, I said that more realistic problems. More well-thought out issues, not some happy-go-lucky issues. Hell, the guy I qouted said the exact same thing.

I think I read your post. If I didn't read your post, I wouldn't be responding now would I? Anyways, if they're so happy gon lucky what do you call The problem with Paul and Ash? How about Ash and Hunter J?

And, if you had actually bothered to put a little thought into it, you'll see that we are mad at the decline in quality. We are also fans of the show, and we don't like the decline.

Decline in quality? Opinion, not fact. And my point was, they have to explain things SLOWLY so kids can understand what the heck is going on.

There's going too far.

The problem is, you have no idea what a rant is. We understand that the show was talored to kids. But we still doin't like it, & we are voicing our opinions. It doesn't go with your fanboy llove of the show, so we must all be wrong? Seriously.

HAHAHA, I have no idea what a rant is. Heh, that is such a goodd one. My FANBOY love. Please don't generalize, thank you. I have never stated I was wrong at all. I am presenting my points on WHY I think the show isn't declining and rebutting your points. Almost like....a debate.

sims796

Years
    Ah, so we're insulting other people's intelligence are we? Not very good at all. Judging from his hate on the show in general, it wouldn't have surprised me if he actually did it. Not providing any real meat, hm. What are all of these points I'm pointing out to him, rebutting his facts, that's not meat at all. I never said he had to LIKE them at all.

Cute. Never called you dumb, but see what you wanna see. Anyway, those points you gave were nothing spectacular, only on why his opinion was wrong. Just because you said things, doesn't make them valid points.

I think I read your post. If I didn't read your post, I wouldn't be responding now would I? Anyways, if they're so happy gon lucky what do you call The problem with Paul and Ash? How about Ash and Hunter J?

Just because you read them, doesn't mean you fully understood them. Stpo taking every word literally. Second, those are little tiblets compared to what was happening in the other shows.

Decline in quality? Opinion, not fact. And my point was, they have to explain things SLOWLY so kids can understand what the heck is going on.

EXACTLY. Opinion. On every one of yellow parrot's post, you badger him, as if his opinions are wrong. That isn't fair. He gave his reasons,his valid reasons, as to why he ates TeamRocket. There is no "he isn't providing fact", because he never presented it as if it were fact. He gave his opinion. Also, our problem is how they suddenly changed the show, with them talking slowly. It doesn't matter if they had good reason, it doesn't matter if they did it for the kids, we don't like it, & we have every right to post in this opinions thread saying so.

If you don't know what a rant is, look it up.

Deadly Arbok

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Apr 12, 2009
    Cute. Never called you dumb, but see what you wanna see. Anyway, those points you gave were nothing spectacular, only on why his opinion was wrong. Just because you said things, doesn't make them valid points.

Like just because you or yellowparrot say things they aren't exactly valid as well. I'm not trying to force anyone to like this show. I am simply backing up my thoughts as weell.

Just because you read them, doesn't mean you fully understood them. Stpo taking every word literally. Second, those are little tiblets compared to what was happening in the other shows.

I don't know about little. I would consider it pretty big. And another example I forgot to mention was Dawn's whole non-hapy-go-lucky depression about losing two contests in a row.

EXACTLY. Opinion. On every one of yellow parrot's post, you badger him, as if his opinions are wrong. That isn't fair. He gave his reasons,his valid reasons, as to why he ates TeamRocket. There is no "he isn't providing fact", because he never presented it as if it were fact. He gave his opinion. Also, our problem is how they suddenly changed the show, with them talking slowly. It doesn't matter if they had good reason, it doesn't matter if they did it for the kids, we don't like it, & we have every right to post in this opinions thread saying so.

If you don't know what a rant is, look it up.

I'm not trying to deny anyone the right to post their opinions in this thread. Not at all. So I guess while it is all right to rant, I can't exactly have opinions against ssaid rant. And besides, if it was anyone(ie:More like everyone on here) else who said those things, I would have said the same exact thing. No bias against him or anything.

BTW, I know what a rant is thank you

sims796

Years
    I'm not trying to deny anyone the right to post their opinions in this thread. Not at all. So I guess while it is all right to rant, I can't exactly have opinions against ssaid rant. And besides, if it was anyone(ie:More like everyone on here) else who said those things, I would have said the same exact thing. No bias against him or anything.

BTW, I know what a rant is thank you

That's the thing. If you knew what a rant was, you'd know that it is just his bias opinion. There was no need to question him on it at all. You don't have to agree, but you don't have to counter his every posts, points, & opinion. This isbn't a debate thread. Some points you made were rough, as if he was stupid for thinking what he thought. You can just disagree, & move eon. Just as you qouted that giant post I made, which was only my opinions. You don't have to prove me wrong, as it isn't a debate.

Deadly Arbok

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Apr 12, 2009
    That's the thing. If you knew what a rant was, you'd know that it is just his bias opinion. There was no need to question him on it at all. You don't have to agree, but you don't have to counter his every posts, points, & opinion. This isbn't a debate thread. Some points you made were rough, as if he was stupid for thinking what he thought. You can just disagree, & move eon. Just as you qouted that giant post I made, which was only my opinions. You don't have to prove me wrong, as it isn't a debate.

I guess I have to work on that about me. heh heh, I just get real defensive about things real easily. And once i start, it's hard for me to back down.

So yes, apolgies to you and yellowparrot if I came on a bit harsh.

Elekid Kid

Banned
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    original definatly the original trio ash misty brock... the best episodes are the silver conferance episodes

ZBDP

1st-2nd Generation Pokemon Fan
    Years
    Definately the original. Eventually, it got worse, and worse, and now i just hate it. (I still love the original series though!! You know, the orange league one)

PorygonSquared

He's Supposed To Be Dead!!!
    Years
    Why would anyone keep discussing Pokemon the anime if they don't like it anymore? Wouldn't they have moved on to some other show, especially if you consider that nostalgiaphiles have been ranting about it for more than 5 years gaining nothing but sheer irritation from fans of the new series?! Even if they keep playing the games, they don't have to consume or even acknowledge the existence of everything with the name Pokemon on it, and heck, I'd love to find one fan that actually does this.

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Mar 1, 2014
    Technically, these people still do like the series even if it is only the pre-AG or pre-DP portions I should know as I am one of these people. I personally don't watch DP at all and focus on the older series exclusively. I still keep playing the current video games and that is about all I am doing right now in relation to the current part of Pokemon as a whole. I personally don't see anything wrong with only liking the older parts of the series and you are acting like it is some sort of crime. Believe it or not if you are one of the original fans you are in a minority as I once heard that only 1/15th of the original 1998 anime fanbase remains and the majority is about 10 years old. I personally have not heard any complaints from the true majority and even then some of them believe that Kanto, the Orange Islands, and Johto are better than DP in the television series.

PorygonSquared

Years
    Technically, these people still do like the series even if it is only the pre-AG or pre-DP portions I should know as I am one of these people. I personally don't watch DP at all and focus on the older series exclusively. I still keep playing the current video games and that is about all I am doing right now in relation to the current part of Pokemon as a whole. I personally don't see anything wrong with only liking the older parts of the series and you are acting like it is some sort of crime. Believe it or not if you are one of the original fans you are in a minority as I once heard that only 1/15th of the original 1998 anime fanbase remains and the majority is about 10 years old. I personally have not heard any complaints from the true majority and even then some of them believe that Kanto, the Orange Islands, and Johto are better than DP in the television series.

Liking only the older parts of any series is not bad in itself. However, many a forum has been plagued by people that do nothing but complain about the new series of the show they used to like, and it interferes with discussion of the actual television show that people do like. Frankly, it's annoying when half the TV Shows and Movies board is filled with topics about how the new series sucks when I'd rather participate in interesting theories and speculation about the series. When so many of the community don't even like the show they're discussing, the forum lacks energy and that is why I don't visit this place as much.

sims796

Years
    Liking only the older parts of any series is not bad in itself. However, many a forum has been plagued by people that do nothing but complain about the new series of the show they used to like, and it interferes with discussion of the actual television show that people do like. Frankly, it's annoying when half the TV Shows and Movies board is filled with topics about how the new series sucks when I'd rather participate in interesting theories and speculation about the series. When so many of the community don't even like the show they're discussing, the forum lacks energy and that is why I don't visit this place as much.

Bah. They complain because they are dissapointed, and there is nothing we can do. If there are many people dissapointed, then that will be the main topic.I rather enjoyed the discussions so far, even if they were compliants. There is plenty of energy 'round here, just not the way you are interested. If that is the case, start your own thread about how much you like the series. That'll attract like-minded people.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I sighed as I read through this thread. Honestly, some of you punks have no respect. I'm nearly positive that the people who are arguing that the Johto Journeys episodes and onwards are better than the Kanto and Orange Islands saga, well, they weren't actually there back in the day. Can you honestly tell me that you were one of the millions of people who would get up in the morning just to watch Ash fight the next Gym leader within Kanto? Are you able to tell me that you were there when everyone liked Pokémon and that you were there when you could discuss it in school with your friends without fear of getting slandered? No, you can't, because you were raised by the episodes where Ash gets trailed around by an eight year old nerd called Max and a Pokémon trainer who has no clue about what she's doing called May, and those two characters were meant to be the protagonists! When you punks think of Team Rocket, you think of two pathetic human beings and a Meowth who seem to pull the same stupid stunts over and over again. When the people that were there back in the day think of Ash's companions, we think of Brock, an actual comic relief character and we think of Misty, an actual Pokémon trainer. When you punks think of Ash Ketchum, you think of someone who has to Catch 'Em All, someone who never loses. When the people who are old school think of the beloved protagonist, we think of the guy who knew nothing about Pokémon and went out on his journey, just like we did in the games. And he lost every now and then, just like us. His Pokémon fainted, just like ours and that's what made him great. We could relate to him. Nowadays, he just kills everyone with his hacked Pikachu.

Anyone who says that the later episodes were better than the Kanto and the Orange Islands saga needs to get some respect for the people who know what they're talking about.

Years
    Nostalgia for the old....again....

I sighed as I read through this thread. Honestly, some of you punks have no respect. I'm nearly positive that the people who are arguing that the Johto Journeys episodes and onwards are better than the Kanto and Orange Islands saga, well, they weren't actually there back in the day. Can you honestly tell me that you were one of the millions of people who would get up in the morning just to watch Ash fight the next Gym leader within Kanto? Are you able to tell me that you were there when everyone liked Pokémon and that you were there when you could discuss it in school with your friends without fear of getting slandered? No, you can't, because you were raised by the episodes where Ash gets trailed around by an eight year old nerd called Max and a Pokémon trainer who has no clue about what she's doing called May, and those two characters were meant to be the protagonists! When you punks think of Team Rocket, you think of two pathetic human beings and a Meowth who seem to pull the same stupid stunts over and over again. When the people that were there back in the day think of Ash's companions, we think of Brock, an actual comic relief character and we think of Misty, an actual Pokémon trainer. When you punks think of Ash Ketchum, you think of someone who has to Catch 'Em All, someone who never loses. When the people who are old school think of the beloved protagonist, we think of the guy who knew nothing about Pokémon and went out on his journey, just like we did in the games. And he lost every now and then, just like us. His Pokémon fainted, just like ours and that's what made him great. We could relate to him. Nowadays, he just kills everyone with his hacked Pikachu.

Anyone who says that the later episodes were better than the Kanto and the Orange Islands saga needs to get some respect for the people who know what they're talking about.

I do have mixed feelings on your post. Yes I could remember the good old days of yore('99-'01) when you could just go out and profess your love for Pokemon...It was a time when the Western World's Anime Fandom was united under a couple of shows (DO NOT DISREGARD DIGIMON) sometimes I wish that my sisters could have experienced that. Too bad nowadays that people both on the 'net and at real life brand you as a kid when showing that you like Pokemon. But at he same time don't bash the new fans... a second wave of PokeMania has hit us yet now it is weaker since we are now awashed with so much cartoons, anime, manga etc. that you cannot create PokeMania anymore. (They were just born in a different time...not their fault) It's just that the first season is rarely replayed for the new fans that the schism between the Old Fans and New Fans showed by Scott R.'s VGCats comic has occured. Also after more than 500 episodes you can expect that the writers cannot keep creativity going. Maybe they need to read fanfics to get motivated? I don't know. But they are breaking the traditions developed in Johto episodes, that counts for something.

Looking back I noticed that most of Satoshi-kun's badges in the Indigo League was gotten after somehow helping the Gym Leader or PITY Badges (Sorry can't help it). After watching WTFP I see the first season as one of he funniest seasons ever and that it is not infallible as I used to think compared to the other Seasons.... It still has plot-holes (And Localization didn't really help.)

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Mar 1, 2014

I fully agree with everything you said and can say I was one of those millions! I liked Pokemon back when you could discuss it without being slandered in school and I was one who could not wait for Ash to battle the next gym leader in Kanto and the Orange Islands. I also remember Brock as a REAL comic relief character rather than the stale one he is today and I grew to love Misty (not romantically of course but rather as a character) a REAL Pokemon trainer who actually liked Pokemon on her first appearance. I too remember when Team Rocket was actually mean and not trying the same traps over and over again and hoping that Ash would fall for them. And I too remember when Ash was new to Pokemon, like the rest of us and he lost too so we could actually relate to him unlike today.

Last edited:

PorygonSquared

Years

This is a great and funny post. Wait, this is a joke post intended to make fun of nostalgiaphiles who think they're higher than everyone else in the fandom, right?

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I'm only replying because I was forced to and there's a gun against my head as I type. vtommy1 is a cruel person.

I do have mixed feelings on your post. Yes I could remember the good old days of yore('99-'01) when you could just go out and profess your love for Pokemon...It was a time when the Western World's Anime Fandom was united under a couple of shows (DO NOT DISREGARD DIGIMON) sometimes I wish that my sisters could have experienced that. Too bad nowadays that people both on the 'net and at real life brand you as a kid when showing that you like Pokemon. But at he same time don't bash the new fans... a second wave of PokeMania has hit us yet now it is weaker since we are now awashed with so much cartoons, anime, manga etc. that you cannot create PokeMania anymore. (They were just born in a different time...not their fault) It's just that the first season is rarely replayed for the new fans that the schism between the Old Fans and New Fans showed by Scott R.'s VGCats comic has occured. Also after more than 500 episodes you can expect that the writers cannot keep creativity going. Maybe they need to read fanfics to get motivated? I don't know. But they are breaking the traditions developed in Johto episodes, that counts for something.

I miss those days, but they had to pass. That's the cycle of life. Something will become cool and after a while, the leader of the school yard will decide he doesn't like it and everyone else follows his opinions like sheep. I would've loved for my younger siblings and some of my younger forum friends to experience those days as well, but they can't and I've learned to accept that.

PokéMania, on the other hand, is a completely different thing. Back in the golden years, you couldn't walk into a shop without seeing Pikachu and the Pokémon slogan on hundreds of items of clothing. Hell, there were even airplanes painted with Pokémon on them. We're never going to see that anymore because Pokémon is never going to get any cooler. As originality in the Pokémon decreases at a steady pace and as the storylines for the games and the anime remain the same, it's pretty obvious that Pokémon will never return to what it was at the top of its peak.

And yes, the writers can't keep writing down original ideas after five hundred or so episodes. Every episode these days is practically the same; the protagonists are traveling or facing a Pokemon trainer and Jessie and James decide to stir things up a little before getting blasted off again. Looking at fan fics wouldn't be a bad idea to consider, but I doubt it'll ever happen.

Looking back I noticed that most of Satoshi-kun's badges in the Indigo League was gotten after somehow helping the Gym Leader or PITY Badges (Sorry can't help it). After watching WTFP I see the first season as one of he funniest seasons ever and that it is not infallible as I used to think compared to the other Seasons.... It still has plot-holes (And Localization didn't really help.)

As I said before, the greatest thing about Ash in the first two seasons was that he was a flawed human being. After that he just turned into some sort of heartless machine who was bent on catching 'em all and becoming the Pokemon champion.

Years
    Nice...

I'm only replying because I was forced to and there's a gun against my head as I type. vtommy1 is a cruel person.

I miss those days, but they had to pass. That's the cycle of life. Something will become cool and after a while, the leader of the school yard will decide he doesn't like it and everyone else follows his opinions like sheep. I would've loved for my younger siblings and some of my younger forum friends to experience those days as well, but they can't and I've learned to accept that.

PokéMania, on the other hand, is a completely different thing. Back in the golden years, you couldn't walk into a shop without seeing Pikachu and the Pokémon slogan on hundreds of items of clothing. Hell, there were even airplanes painted with Pokémon on them. We're never going to see that anymore because Pokémon is never going to get any cooler. As originality in the Pokémon decreases at a steady pace and as the storylines for the games and the anime remain the same, it's pretty obvious that Pokémon will never return to what it was at the top of its peak.

And yes, the writers can't keep writing down original ideas after five hundred or so episodes. Every episode these days is practically the same; the protagonists are traveling or facing a Pokemon trainer and Jessie and James decide to stir things up a little before getting blasted off again. Looking at fan fics wouldn't be a bad idea to consider, but I doubt it'll ever happen.

As I said before, the greatest thing about Ash in the first two seasons was that he was a flawed human being. After that he just turned into some sort of heartless machine who was bent on catching 'em all and becoming the Pokemon champion.

Rekhyt I wasn't pointing a gun on your head...(More to the back really since you're not a Zombie...or are you? Dun..dun..dun...) All joking aside...

Yes your idea of Satoshi of being flawed is good, since who would want a perfect protagonist? And yes Satoshi's first journey really allowed us to connect with him because as he was just starting off his journey during the first season (and the writers had were more motivated) and LOL "Heartless Machine?" (Are you trying to incur the wrath of fangirls out there?)

It's just sad that Pokemon will never be the "fad" it was a few years ago...but I do accept that since nowadays people who I wouldn't have thought to be the types that play Pokemon DO play it...

On the topic of the games and Anime being the same...I'm just very happy that there are alternatives to those two (I still love the games though) such as fanfics or manga's (PokeSpe, Pokemon Phantom Thief 7, PMR: Battonage...etc.) that is why the fandom will continue making Pokemon an active franchise...WooT!

OffRoadSP

Still working on Sun & Moon...
    Years
    I'm not sure I should get involved, but after reading the majority of this thread, I feel I have to say something. I've been with the anime since season 1. Yes, there are some aspects I miss from the original stories. And there are also things I'm happy to see have improved, such as continuity problems. Not perfect, but better. The voice changes was disappointing at first, but I feel have improved with Diamond & Pearl. I think one of the mistakes they made was changing the voice actors with Battle Frontier. I feel it would have been wiser to do it with D & P because it was more of a fresh start for the characters, and might have been easier for long time fans to adjust to. What I mean is you would only have had 2 main characters with a voice change (Ash & Brock) instead of 4 (May & Max). And Team Rocket I suppose.

I don't know if I can pick a favorite season. There were episodes I hated in Season 1 and there are episodes I hate now. But similarly there are awesome episodes from the first season, and awesome episodes now. Personally, I find myself thinking that Battle Dimension is even a step above Diamond & Pearl last season. This latest season has really renewed my faith in the anime. Are some of the ideas recycled? Yes, but it was a plot from 500 episodes ago that the 8 year old watching it now never saw. I can forgive the occasional mirror image episode, since I feel there are a few original ideas mixed in.

The anime is not targeted at people who have watched it for years. It is targeted for a young audience. But they haven't forgotten us, completely. If they had, we wouldn't see Gary, Butch & Cassidy, May, etc, appear from time to time. Even in Battle Frontier we were reminded of Ash's Charizard in the Charicific (sp?) Valley or his Squirtle leading the Squirtle Squad. We even got to see his Tauros in action for the first time since Johto.

These are just my opinions, if you hate the new seasons, I can respect that. I just think that Pokemon's longevity in itself is pretty impressive, for better or for worse.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back