• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Graphics Lounge [Resources included]

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Well yeah, G&P kind of struggles when it doesn't have someone to pull it by the reigns. But with that said, if you have emblem ideas, all you need do is make the required 80x80 icon and the description & name and send it to Ana. She'll bring it up to be uploaded if it's approved. If you want to get something done, it's a matter of sending a PM.

moments.

quixotic
Years
I think just also the presence of an authority and moderator is comforting. Like technically that's Ana's job, but because she doesn't really frequent it doesn't have the same effect.

Well I will put some time into some of those emblems, probably run them by you, Gav just to make sure they're all good and if anything needs tweaking.

Another thought on the teams enlightenment, it will be like an actual working version of the Battle / Collabs social group that was made multiple times and failed miserably every single time without fail... Not sure if you were ever part of them, but they were a great idea, just needed the prominence and structure of actual threads and prefixes...

Also, after stalking the threads from the past year in G&P, I noticed that all the battles voting threads were held in Competitions rather than the actual G&P section. Do you think this is a better idea for getting more views and votes from people given that it is shared by artists and pixel artists as well, but given it is a smaller sub forum, maybe not.
I don't really know, but just a thought that if moved might generate more activity as well...

Years
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
anybody want to battle?

aving to compete against someone seems to be the only way to motivate me to make a graphic at the moment.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Well yeah I'm definitely interested. Problem with G&P and being a new member is that you need 15 posts to post images and links. But yeah, what kind of battle are you looking to do?

Years
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
Yeah i just posted my entry to totf as a URL, i figured it'd get put in tags in the voting thread so it didn't really matter.

Um, a set stock one would be nice as in the past it's really helped me to expand from my usual style.

Tags seem to be most popular here so i guess it could be a tag battle, but i'm more than up for doing something on a bigger canvas and would prefer it really.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Yeah don't worry too much about the url. I'll put it in tags when I put the thread up anyway, I don't believe you're any sort of bot or anything so it's all good.

Yeeeah, I'm pretty meh about tags, I prefer doing larger stuff myself. So if you set a stock with high quality it'd be cool with me to do something on a larger canvas. If you set one, what kind do you think it would be?

Years
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
Hahaha, cheers.

I'd prefer if someone else set the stock actually, more of a challenge.
If anyone's going to set a stock actually I'd say it should be someone outside of the battle, that way everyone's introduced to it at the same time.

Do you you have anyone you can trust to set a decent stock?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Well I think you should just set it as a first come first serve basis for who can set the stock. I dunno who might set a good one, but if you think the quality is too low just contest it because I'm sure that whoever sets it will know that you're not just trying to get them to choose a stock you like more. Though whoever chooses it will have an advantage. Bit of an odd one, but just be obvious about what you're looking for in the battle haha.

Years
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
Would it be cool if I made a discussion thread in the competitions forum?

Just realised that's probably a better place for this and don't want to step on any toes on my second day.
Thanks for the quick replys though.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Make it in G&P, since that's where the discussions and such for battles are held. Since Competitions is just for official contests like IotW and such. But post it in G&P!

moments.

quixotic
Years
I can get you guys a stock if you'd like?
Can't really be bothered doing an LP contest, so I won't have any advantage choosing it because I won't be entering. Food for thought, get back to me. ;D

Years
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
That'd be great if you could. :]

I'm a little unsure on how to go about doing this,.

I've spoken to Abnegation and they've said they might not have the time to make a piece so should I just do a first come first served basis, whoever gets their entry in first is the person who battles me?

:S

Would it be asking a bit much if someone could set this battle up? thread and all?

moments.

quixotic
Years
If you go into the rules thread here and look down to "Upon Starting a Battle", it tells you everything you need to include and is pretty straightforward.

So basically you just make a thread with all the details on the battle, and then people sign up for it, and then when you're happy with the number of people, you start making the pieces.

You should do it yourself, because you don't know who else will be battling you, so it will be weird if say I made the thread, but wasn't actually battling. It'd be a little confusing for people signing up.

But check out the rules, or look for another battle thread in graphics and photography and copy of that!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Well what they're asking is to challenge someone, by using the graphics lounge to arrange one with someone, which is something I recommended doing from time to time when we discussed the new battle arrangements. So I think what MAMOM wants is for someone to set up a battle so they can play by their rules to an extent. He's not really looking for an intermediary to host it.

What I would do if you were really stuck mamom though, just go VM some members from G&P you might like to battle, and ask them if they'd like to set up. Sometimes you've gotta be a little nitty-gritty due to the inactivity of the place you know?

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
While the composition and style of the piece are rather interesting, there are a lot of omissions and things I would add and change. You need to define an actual focal point, right now the center is rather messy and it's hard to make out anything. The textures you've used have really distracted the focal, and the whole thing does look a little messy. The text should also be a lot closer to it. So at least define your focal point and see where it goes from there.

I was thinking of adding more flowers around the bottom left to add more focus around that area and because I think the image looks a little empty towards the left because of the placement. I might end up doing something else with the text because when I did put it closer towards the focal point it took away from it a little, and made the image look a little flat also.

moments.

quixotic
Years
I don't think the problem is that you lack a focal, I think you've just got a lot happening, and pretty messy composition so your focal is getting lost. I think when you clean it up a bit and tone down the textures and stuff over the top, the focal will present itself.

As for text, I'm not feeling the angle + arched text, but it does need to be a little closer, not a lot though.

It's actually a really cool piece! :D

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I was thinking of adding more flowers around the bottom left to add more focus around that area and because I think the image looks a little empty towards the left because of the placement. I might end up doing something else with the text because when I did put it closer towards the focal point it took away from it a little, and made the image look a little flat also.
Well you see, if you keep text in corners, it does distract from the focal. You do have a focal, it's just, not very evident. If you do add more to it, just make sure it doesn't get more busy. Overall the piece just needs a better sense of clarity and image quality.

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
Well you see, if you keep text in corners, it does distract from the focal. You do have a focal, it's just, not very evident. If you do add more to it, just make sure it doesn't get more busy. Overall the piece just needs a better sense of clarity and image quality.

Yea I see where you're coming from, when I looked at it again the texture over the top did take away too much and does seem a little unecessary, if anything I might just lower the opacity and erase it from certain areas to get the focal point clear again. I still think a few more flowers might add a bit too it though.

Back