• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Graphics Rating Thread [READ THE FIRST POST. D:<]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perfectionist

Perfectionism is an Art
    Years
    Animad
    The layout of this banner is nice. The render is in a nice position and the text fits nicely. The one thing i would recommend changing is the background. It just doesn't do anything! It needs more contrast and something happening. It is all one colour in different shades and I know it would be hard using that render but it just looks plain.. Sorry if that sounded harsh... =(

Ok edited version of my SOTW entry. After getting some feedback, I noticed some flaws and have attempted to fix them.

Original:

Edited

As you can see there is a big difference but it is the only way I could fix the lighting issue.

Pikabloo

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    Perfectionist: There was never really a big lighting issue, in my opinion. I never even saw a clear light source in the original. So I can't really say that there was a big improvement. However, the blue seems to look better located behind Ichigo instead of in front, so I guess that was an improvement of some sort. I think that image blending still needs some work. Smudge around the edges just a bit, with short strokes, and erase what looks bad. Smudge especially towards the front, where the brighter background sort of clashes with the dark red of Ichigo's jacket. Or it's just the choppy rendering x___o Blue text matches more than the white one, so that's good. I think that font and positioning need to be fiddled around a bit, though. The text is just... floating there. Good attempt at a smudge, though.

---

I... I made that? -burns from all the pink and purple-

It would have been my new SoTW entry if I didn't save over the PSD file D:

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    I no good at c&C but I'll say a few words…
    Text would ruin that sig…
    That purple smudge copied merge thing on the right needed better blening so it didn't seem as if you copied merged… that's all except •smacks with a haddock for not saving the psd•

Last edited:

Pikabloo

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    It's supposed to look copied >.> Because it was boring and empty towards the end, I stuck on a clipping mask. I could try fixing it without the PSD, but I'd probably kill it ^^

Wait... what's a haddock? -shot'd- Oh, it's a fish o___o

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    Well Maybe have the grey on the purple thing would make it less 'boring' meh… that'd probably ruin it xD… it's just I hate those kinds of half asked sigs… after getting bored of doing ps stuff I mean. Not saying you didn't put effort into it. xD.

Twinx

s o m e t h i n g M O R E
    Years
    Purple FTW =)
    Anyway, I love this banner, the lightning works very well and the colors are very nice.

Render: even with the thick outline, have you tried blending it? I'm curious how that would look like :/

Background: It looks nice in the center which is soft and nice, but the C4ds you used aren't blended very well, they look rough and sort of stand out. Try blending them a bit.

Text: lol you're my text role-model ;D it's perfect.

Overall, I don't think a lot of more work.. just some touching up. =)

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Another DNA banner.. ya I'm addicted, I know..

Thanks. ^^

Renyui!

ascender
    Years
    oh no, now you can go and run away, cause poke'd's rating your banner!
    DarkChild: dang, thats a cool banner. good light source, good blending, but i think that underline under midnight can go. Other than that, nice, smexy banner ;)

I made this using that cutting out tut in ps Q&A

Made this, in your thread, and your gunna rate it NOW! -shot'd-

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
    *silence*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    @ Shiranui: I like this. The render is simple, yet the background is more complicated; a good thing. I can tell the focal point is suppose to be his hand, and the text dousn't fistract me at all. Lighting is good, but maybe the light source is a little too bright. There's some spots where it doesn't exactly "flow", too. Like on the right side, there's that random dark bar point left. If you could, I would make it pointing right, I think you might want to work on depth a little bit, too. Overall, nice work. 8.6/10.

@ Gold19: It's too light. The render doesn't stick out at all, and it's too grainy. Try moving the render's layer on top. You also need some lighting/lighting effects in there, mah friend. I would make the light source coming from the "blast" of the gun, but that's just me. The background seems a little bit plain. I can see the brushes, but they look like strings. I like the text. Maybe a little big, but it's not too, too bad.
    Not to be rude or anything, but I think you could really benefit from a few tutorials. PM me later and I'll direct you to some very good ones. (seeing as I can't link to other forums... I think?)
    Anyways, this banner is...alright. I wouldn't use it, though. 4.9/10.

@ Animerversion: Wow, you really like Anya, don't you?
    Anyways, nice work here. Good vectors, good use of scanlines, amazing lighting, the render blends in well, and nice text. I do, indeed, think you've hit a creativity slump. You've done this type of banner... a lot, but it still looks pretty nice. I might try adding a few more vectors in different places. But alas, that's just me. 8.0/10.

@ Perfectionist: I think the original and the edited both have their ups and downs. In the original, I don't like the white text. But the render's hair blends in well with the orange behind it. In the edited version, I love the blue text, but the render's hair doesn't blend in well at all. I think you should keep the original copy, but make a few adjustments, such as:

- Put some brushes/something abtract in the background. Especially the blue part, because it seems a little bit plain.
    - MAYBE change the tect color/placement. If nothing else looks good, keep it the way it is. I never said I didn't like it, I just said I like the blue text better.
    - Add some lighting effects on it. Changing the way he's facing is certainly not the only way to add lighting; it's the lazyiest easiest way. You could use some soft brushes, etc. If you need some help with that, send me a PM, or just post on my profile.

So, Perfectionist. It's not a bad banner, it's just not your best. It seems almost juvenile. 5.9/10.

@ Shiranui...again: Don't like this so much. I think it's the right side that turns me off so much; the banner just separates, the starts over again. Also the clipping mask of her mouth... not so much. Anyways, ignoring these to facts, it's not my type of banner. But I can't represent every member of PC, can I? No, I think not. I see what you were trying to do, but I don't think it worked out that well. Good try though. Practise makes perfect! 5.1/10.

@ Akari: It certainly does lack blending. But you already knew that.
    I think the smudging/grunge in the center is a little too much. I like it, just a little smaller would be better. The text is really good. Love it. It's a nice render, too, but next time you're going for this effect, maybe not so much af that "thick black outline" would be good. Not bad though.
    Me thinks it needs some improvement. o.o
    Me thinks so too, also. X_x;;
    7.5/10.

@ DarkChild: Nice, brotha! xD
    But I think the lighting is a bit much. Though it does seem to make him blend in well. The background towards the right seems a bit plain. Maybe add some longer brushes expanding from the light source? Just a thought. Text is good. Text is always good with you.

Oh, and one last thing...I like the way you blended his hair. Really nice.
    8.5/10.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*silence*

What? That's it! I ain't go no candy fo' you!

Gold19

Yes, I'm that One Guy
    Years
    @ Poke'd-I am going to rate the first banner, because I am too lasy to rate the second sig. The first sig is awesome and different from the other banners I've seen here. I like how there is a clipping-mask at the corners of the banner. The sig shall be rated a 8 out of 10.

Original:

Edited'ed'ed'ed verison:

Is the edited verison better than the original verison? Let me know!

Ionic

God of nothing
    Years
    @ Gold19: Second one. Text is better first ones text was too big.Though the render is a bit dark but the second one is the best.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann!!

Gettting too used to those borders.Had to do it this time though i couldnt fit the text in anywhere else, if i put it on the left it was too dark.Just started watching the anime hehe just got to the sad bit :(

Snivi

..•.¸¸•´¯`•.¸. ஐ
    Years
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann!!

Getting too used to those borders.Had to do it this time though I couldn't fit the text in anywhere else, if i put it on the left it was too dark.Just started watching the anime hehe just got to the sad bit :(
    The left side looks like it needs something and the text just doesn't seem to work. Maybe a different font?

It needs something! Suggestions please =3

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
    The render has good lighting but it needs text.

So, how dissapointed would you be if you got this rating? I know I wouldn't like it. Try to be more specific when you rate. Remember; People want their graphics rated so they can improve them. It's hard to improve when you aren't being told what to improve, or at least how to improve it.

The same goes for you, Ionic.

Anyways, here's your real rating, Haine Togu;

It seems really...plain. I like the render, but there's nothing in the background! I also dislike the noise. It doesn't go well with the rest of the sig. That ball in the background is a little strange, too.

Here's what I'd do if it were mine;
    I'd start by getting rid of that noise in the background. Then, I'd add a lensflare instead of that "sun". I'd adjust the render (contrast, brightness, etc) and add a motion blur layer at screen or softlight.
    Those are just a few suggestions, though.

The good thing about this banner is that it has no style. And no, that's not bad thing. It hasn't fit in to any styles yet (grunge, vector, smudge, etc), meaning it can really be anything you'd like it to be ^^;

Anyways, it's not a bad banner, it's just far from finished. I won't give it a number rating yet, seeing as it wouldn't be fair. But I do hope to see it when it's finished.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    Haine Tugo: Uhh... I don't know what to say. I'm probably not the best person to suggest anything. When I have renders like that I usually make (or at least try to make) a vector-type banner. But the current background doesn't really fit with the vector style. Sorry if I'm no help at all, I'm still fairly new to this whole thing >_<

Anyway, after force feeding my brain with many tuts, I've finally made a new banner. Suprisingly, it isn't much different from my usual style. XD

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Two words for you, Gummy-sir.

No, make that- one image.
    Spoiler:

Yeees indeedy.

The effects are really messy, and that's not the end of it, the colors are so similar to the render that it took me awhile to even find your render. x_o The low-opacity lighting is really strange, cause it... doesn't look like light, it just looks like a weird, transparent floating orb. xD;

And then the text confuses me to no end. Toonami spokesman who was WAY better than the current mascot, and... Evanescence? *I fail to see the connection* Anyway! That was me leading up to: The text. It's like a whole 'nother Find Waldo in itself, except, the stroke makes it visible- in an ugly way. :< The deco's behind it: Awesome, except for the stroke. The background, eh, except I absolutely must ask: Why, if the centerpoint in the middle of that vortex is going to draw people's eyes to the point, did you not put the render there? ;; It would've killed 30% of searching for the render. Anyway, the off-focus didn't really work out too well.

Honestly... I reeeeally don't like this banner. xD;; -sorry. x_x-

----------------------------------------------------------

WSAC entry! Whoo-hoo~

I would love feedback on this complete... failure. xD; OH! And don't hurt yourself, trying to find the difference. The top one is lighter than the bottom one on the right, though I think it's so subtle you can't even tell. I can see it, because I've been staring at if for about an hour or so, buuuut...

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    Reply to Loki: *facepalm* I seem to be getting worse with each new banner XD. Stupid tutorials, I can never fully understand them. Oh well, I shouldn't be blaming others for my PS problems. Thanks for the comments.

Loki's banner: Those "failures" are ten times better than anything I've made. The smudging is nice and doesn't take away from the render at all. My eyes are like, glued to the screen but I still can't see that lighting change you were talking about. You sure you didn't post the same link twice? Hopefully someone with better skill will do a better job assessing those banners but I honestly see nothing wrong with them.

Twinx

s o m e t h i n g M O R E
    Years
    Motsuko, I've been meaning to tell you that the sizes you've been using for your banners is odd. I don't know, I just think wider banners would look better..
    Anyway, the colors are very nice on the right side, and it's nice and simple.. but on the left it's rather empty. You can't get away with no text when your banner is this simple, so maybe adding some text would fix the emptiness problem.
    It flows very well! When it comes to flow, you nailed it ^^
    Good job! =)

-------------------------------
    It just happens that two of my classes had photo maniplulation assignments, so you can rate whichever you want ^^

For Loki's Class. ORIGINAL

For Hazuki's Class. ORIGINAL

Thanks ^^

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
    Years
    Dark Child:
    Banner 1 - I was wondering, did you use a background from another stock or was that including in the stock you used. Even though it looks like you didnt do much, I think you overdid it a bit (if you get it xD) You used too many grunge brushes, plus I noticed the spatter in the background, when you mix them together it looks funny. I also see you used some spatter brushes, but they dont stand out much. I dont know where your focal point is though, its a bit confusing.

Banner 2 - Did you get for a photoish feel? Cause this banner has the same effects as the other one, it looks like a bit of a photo, if you changed it around a bit it would really stand out ;p. I like this one more though. I can see you used some tech brushes ;]. But I think the banner is too bright.

I've finally gotten around to making two banners xD.
    I havent made a banner in ages, and even longer a decent one ;p.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    CheesePeow's 1st: I like the effects you put on the render, but I think it (the render) is a little. Maybe it's just me but I'd move it to the left some more. Although it looks good enough without one, why not add a border to see if it'll make it look even better.

2nd: Too bright for my tastes. Because of the brightness it probably wasn't a good idea to use a white border because I can't tell where the render stops and the border begins.

------------------

Okay, my past three or so banners have gotten some pretty bad comments, so I decided to do something simple with this new one.

evilcheese

God I am so freakin lazy
    Years
    @gummy - l actually like this one xD. the effects are cool and everything. blending isnt bad but could be better. although i waould make it darker and lower saturated because of the facial expression of the render.

this is probably my most simple banner ive has in a while.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back