• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Graphics Rating Thread [READ THE FIRST POST. D:<]

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    I like what you did to to make the sword stand out on it's own a little bit, but I don't like the color you used (To me green doesn't really go with swords. I don't know why, lol). Other than that it's pretty good.

8/10

moments.

quixotic
    Years

Okie doke. This is a nice concept however there are a few things that could have been done to make it look visually nicer. First is blending. Now I see you have sort of blended the arm by brushing over the top a bit, but try using some smudges and maybe even some C4D's over the edges. Which leads to flow. There is a clear flow indicated by the render which wasn't really followed. The flow is travelling diagonally to the top right cornerish. Try to make the C4D's and effects travel in that direction as it will make the whole banner look nicer. Tezt is quite good although "Strive" could go with a bit more cursive style font.

Ok. This banner is good for a first banner! The blending and smudging of the sword is great, although I think you should have done it alone the blunt side of the sword and the handle a bit as opposed to the end which is the focal mainly. Next point is the text. It is quite boring and doesn't suit the banner. The colour and style is off. Try using a silver/black/white/and maybe even green but that is pushing it a bit. You could have made the word "sword" cursive and fancy, then the rest smaller and sort of blockish, that might look nice. Also try out some borders, they are always good.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    Since... Nothing is above me, I'll rate Voltagenic.

Voltagenic: I don't believe that your a beginner! your better than me. ;;

Anyways, I like the style you used for the banner, the light-source, the textures, and the colour blending, and I don't mean to repeat it again but the text sux. i think you should use green as the font colour and the font a little bit more erm, have a style.

---

another banner that I recently made.

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
    Ryouki
    Very nice work with this one, love the brushes, I use most of them myself.
    Don't like the rd & green lines coming from the right, something more significant could have gone there imo.

Yer, basically my first sig made for CSS

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
    If I may, Necromancy's Gengar banner caught my eye as quite... stunning really. The background is a nice contrast to the darker violet colorations of the ghost-type, and the two Gengars+plus slight fading and outer glow fail to bore me to death with (as a friend put it once about one of my works) "uncreative effects"; all in all, very nice. 9/10!

Now then... how's my dragon-ghost D&D banner?

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    I really like your banner and the lettering is perfect(I guess) and it fits to the 'scary' theme of it. :)
    the border is a bit not fitting though, but it's not noticable at first sight, so I guess it's okay.
    I really like the dragon! =3
    8/10

I guess it's my turn. :\
    I wanted to know if my banner's good. :\

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    Time: It's very nice, but I think you should add some c4ds, also the background stands out too much that I didn't notice the text at all. :/

--

Made 2 versions.

Okay, okay. I erased that foul thing from earth. Here's a new one.

I also made an icon. Believe it! i didn't save the psd so...

Last edited:

Unforgettable

Melodies of Life
    Years
    Angelo: yesh I used the "A" word.
    The banner looks better with out text, the text kind of kills it. But it seems a bit empty without it.

The icon the only thing I can pick out is the hand colour seems off... kind of redish.

Alright:

It's been a while since I really touched photoshop. I mean a long while. I don't know what to do with it... But really I don't like it.

Last edited:

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Unforgettable: Because of those blurry light brushes across it, I really suggest you blur the light textures a bit more. Especially the ones on the right, they're way too sharp compared to the other brushes, and doesn't really look well. The render doesn't seem to blend into the background a whole lot. You could try to erase some of the edges of the render so it would blend in a bit more, or brush some light / magic brushes over the bottom of the render to create a nice effect. Smudging works too, and it looks like it would look pretty nice in this tag. The background is pretty, though. XD

And for some reason it turned to a .JPG format when I clearly remember saving it as .PNG. >:[

Renyui!

ascender
    Years
    Kayashi:Nice Tag.
    Although, I dont see how it looks JPG, I think the borders could be a little less thick. A bit of Depth would be nice near the edges, but the text is nice. Overall, nice tag, could use a bit more adjustment layers but the c4d's are good. :D

Rate Plesh.

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
    @Necromancy - Gengar just gets lost in its little shadow back there. The borders are wonky; cinematic usually never works and the overlay border doesn't usually either, so when you put them together its kind of a mess. The stroke around the dupe is throwing me off, as well as the opacity of it. Once again, to remove the monochrome of this tag, I recommend www.colourlovers.com. They have color palettes for every color and will help you make an aesthetically pleasing piece, at least in regards to color. Depth also needs a lot of work. Overall it's not bad, but definitely has a lot of room to improve.

@Silverwings-Lumina - This really wouldn't be so bad if you had some other colors in there (colourloversssssssss). The text works really nicely and I've never been one to pull off text so I'm insanely jealous of you. xD Anyways, since you're going for the whole "reach out" theme here, I think it would've been a lot more powerful if you rotated the stock in a different way and had her hand in the tag and had some shenans going on around her hand. The background is too messy when nothing is going on in the foreground. Again, get some different colors in there, it can only help. :3

@Voltagenic - What is with people and monochrome. ;; Having just a sword as a stock is extremely difficult to pull off because it's such an abstract object. Although, you could've done it. The green background is meh, green never really works as I've said the in past (no one listens ;;). I do like the skulls kind of spewing out from the top of the sword but it wasn't executed in the best way, since the top of the sword just disappears. I think this tag would've been a lot more effective if you had a solid dark colored background (dark blue or something, or even black) and have some effects coming off of the sword. Try to get the feel of it moving through the effects. It's kind of hard to explain but I hope you have some idea of what I'm talking about. Scrap the text, too. D:

@Ryuuji - The background color isn't so bad, perhaps I would've made it a tad bit darker. The background effects aren't terrible either but I would make them a dark gray, plucked from Haseo instead of some random plum color. The vector X is so blatantly a brush. Minimalism would be good for this tag so try using some simple renders and light textures (100x100 would be nice, just erase bits; I put up a pack on the resource thread ;;) to get the small effects. The red and green lines aren't doing much for me except ruining the flow of this tag.

@Dukey - This tag... is interesting. I hate the way the tag just suddenly ends, with that thick black border. I think having Neku tower off from it is a cool idea and all but it just looks slapped on; kind of like an afterthought. You should think of a tag like this as a city; Neku is the tallest skyscraper around, and the rest of the city, the rectangular tag, should be like the rest of the city; not as spectacular, but sharing the spotlight in its own way. So basically you can take away all of your purple and orange non-blending renders/brushes and start with a plain, solid colored canvas. Then you should smudge a bit over Neku so it looks like he's blending in, not sticking out too much. Of course you want him to be the main focus of the tag, but at the same time you don't want him to be the only thing you see. I hope that made sense, I'm getting more and more incoherent as these rates go on. XD The colors also look pretty washed out, I'd make an adjustment layer and crank that Saturation up at least to +40. Make those colors pop!

@DGexe - It's a nice attempt. xD; The rain effect never works, so it'd be in your best interest to not use it ever again. The border was iffy; it'd have a stronger impact if you couldn't see where you erased/edited. When doing a funky border like that, you want to make sure you erase enough where you don't see that kind of stuff anymore. It might require more erasing that you'd like, but that's a risk you sometimes have to take. I understand that this is meant to be a dark and dreary type tag but pumping up the dragon's saturation (+30, I'd say) never hurts. Yes, I know I love saturation, and it never goes wrong. Also, the moon through the dragon's wing looks pretty much the same opacity as it is not under the wing. So you'll want to go through and either get rid of it completely or cover it a bit more. I'd also say scrap the text, crop the tag, and work from there. Big long banners don't generally look good either.

@Time - Wow. xD That's, uh, a lot going on there. Since I understand that you made this for your theme, I'll be brief and not so harsh on this one, since it's not traditional. I don't like how Palkia's head is cut off. I think since you had that group of Pokemon in the middle, you should have the close ups of those Pokemon on the sidebar, not just half of them and the other half random Pokemon. I do like the center, it kinda reminds me of Ladytron's Witching Hour. That's a good thing.

@Ryuuji - This tag is deceiving. It looks like it has a lot of depth but it really doesn't; you just blurred in spots to make it look like it has depth. You blurred part of Haseo's claws and you shouldn't have, so go back in and sharpen those. The light source (eww, lens flare ;;) is in the wrong spot so that alone is throwing me off. Colors need some variation, too. ;; Some foreground would also look good here. The background looks good but I'd like to see some effects and smudging in the front. I won't rate the avatar since you didn't save the PSD (I never save PSDs for avatars... too much space).

@Unforgettable - Yiiiiikes. Never ever ever use simply light textures as the background to the tag. It never looks good. My eyes bounce all over the place; a very strong indication of 0 focal point. This banner is lacking all definition of depth. I really can't say anything else about this. It's truthfully better off in the trash can.

@Kayashi - Ugh, fan art. :\ Unless you want to face copyright laws, I wouldn't use fan art in any tags unless you have the original artist's permission. The overlay renders are killing me. It's overall too dark and I don't really understand what's going on over his shoulder. It just looks odd and out of place, but maybe that's just me. The rainbows I'm detecting aren't winning my affection; rainbows don't work. The text doesn't ride with me either. How far away the T is from "hirsty" bothers me. Scrap the text. You have that contradicting light source on Roxas' (I think, with fan art it's hard to tell >_>) hair that should be paid attention to. Even just a singular soft brush can take care of that.

@Vivaa - Way too blue. Again, I recommend Colourlovers.com. Seriously, go there and learn from it. It will help bunches. The effects are nice but I don't like how big the light is. It looks like a floodlight and the only time floodlights really work is in Photography, which this is not. The effects are on the bland, simple side and some flare would do this tag wonders. It also needs more depth in the background. So more depth and more effects. Shouldn't be too hard, right?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Made for Britney Spears. Since I wrote such long critiques for you all (more than once, I might add), don't you think I deserve the same?

Conman

Knowledgeable Ignorance
    Years
    Kayashi said:
    Ew...fanart and it doesn't really look awesome. First things first, way over contarested..yet way too dark as well. It just looks really odd and abnormal to me. The colors aren't cery good and are only worsened by all the darkness. The lighting coming from his hand (?) makes an odd light source for his face. Also, in general, a giant yellow light source seems very out of place when it's not the sun. The text is unfavorable and kinda appears sloppy with all the other things in the tag. Overall, I think you need to go for a simpler style next time.
    Vivaa said:
    Too simple IMO. This type of tag seems like it needs a lot of flair. Maybe giant bubble C4Ds would be nice. The overall depth is pretty weak aswell. Some areas look pretty low quality too. An example would be Blastoise's front arm/claw. The lighting isn't quite my style either. Just seems really big and out of place. The colors...or should I say color, isn't good. It's only blue, needs more variety. The black around the tag's corner are rather too thick and the text isn't so nice. I'd say focus on depth and effects more.
    Color Me Evil said:
    Meh..IDK I'm not really liking it a lot. I mean sure, I like are the colors, but I think it maybe the overall quality or texture I'm not liking. It could use a stronger lighting too. That's only because I can hardly tell there is on...if there is actually one XD The depth is nice and subtle, to a point I almost forgot to mention it. The bracket next to the text is kinda random. The actual text is pretty good though. I like the colors and 3D-like look. That's about it, overall its ok..just the quality or texture I'm not liking
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oddly, I haven't been making tags lately. I think it has been due to me being busy at school more than normal. Anyway, since my last post I think I've only made this tag. This is one of the few request I've accepted recently. I've been trying to do more tags with real life focals and sprite focals. I really need to jump on that sprites.

----------------
    Listening to: John Legend; Kanye West - It's Over
    via FoxyTunes

Last edited:

SwampertTrainer

The Lord of Photoshop
    Years
    Okay I really cannot compete with these last two rates, but here I go anyway:

@Kayashi: This one is my favorite of the recent ones. The light source is clearly definable as the energy coming the person's hand. There's a bit too much black, but in a way it's balanced out my the flickers of color on the left and the text. Use of multiply and screen effects here is good. The shadows are placed magnificently, and correspond exactly to where the light source is. Excellent work.

Here's a banner I designed for my Clan on Final Smash (previously Pokemon Epiphany)

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    @SwampertTrainer: I liked the concept of the banner. The border however is a bit thick, is it not? Image is a bit blurry too. It's also a bit plain and not eye catching. I don't like the text on the banner as well :{ It looks like you took an image, splattered a few brushes here and there, blurred, and added text (Is that supposed to be grass?). Not saying this process is necessarily bad, but could have been executed better. I remember rating your banners before, and I must say you're getting better, so keep up the good work. d(''d) Practice makes perfect.

Both made trying to get inspration back. I'm a failure. ;_; Feel free to spit all over it.

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    @Inugami: They are OK, try to add some more effects over the sig, also, make the texts more readable

Here's my new Crash Internet Explorer banner:

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    Here is the detailed rating of Inugami's baner:
    @Inugami:
    1st: try to add some more effects over the sig, , some lights should go over the banner. (7/10)
    2nd: make the texts more readable, and overlay effects are very important (5/10)

SwampertTrainer

The Lord of Photoshop
    Years
    Here is the detailed rating of Inugami's baner:
    @Inugami:
    1st: try to add some more effects over the sig, , some lights should go over the banner. (7/10)
    2nd: make the texts more readable, and overlay effects are very important (5/10)

You're new here, aren't you. We expect rating to be decent- not two bullets that couldn't help a fly.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back