• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Graphics Rating Thread [READ THE FIRST POST. D:<]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
    .bored said:
    DGexe: The signature is kinda plain and looks lq. It lacks any real effects, aside from those on the text which looks extremely choppy(I'm guessing you cut it from something else?). Dialga looks slapped onto the sig, and doesn't have any place in the signature because it's either taking away from the focal, or is supposed to be the focal, but is overpowered by the text.

Yeah, I see what you mean with the issue of my focal point (er, lack off); I guess I'll screw with this one later and try to fix it... somehow... or make a new one. Eh. *shrugs* Anyway, just so you know, that text wasn't cut out; I don't know why it looks so choppy here, but I think I know how to fix it. *shrugs*

As for your banner, it looks okay; 7/10 for a rating. The greyish-brown color looks kind of icky against the peachy/orange of Clefairy. Maybe make it more purple or blue? The stuff around Clefairy doesn't look too bad, but something looks very off about how "metronome" was made-- did you write that in, or is it a font (yes, I have seen "signature/written" computer fonts before). Perhaps you'll want that to stick out more (effect or a lighter color, perhaps) or use a slightly different font. Aside from that, it has potential to be sure; just needs some fix-ups here and there.

Edit: I have something.

The Draconian reads "Silver"-- yeah, you'd probably want that on the banner in English, but it ruined it when I tried to add both. So there you are; you're reading "Silver" (the dragon's breed) in Draconian. If you can think of anything that would look nice in terms of showing what those symbols mean, such would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
    Years

Is that a font you're using for the text, or just an image? If it's a font, you should really start using an anti-alias; they work wonders, and help make the text not as jagged and such.

I like the colors, but you could work on blending. I can clearly see the different sections when I look at the background on the right, which is okay I guess, but not on this banner. You blended the render in pretty well, though.

Another thing I don't like is how the banner just fades out on the left side. Not a big fan of that. Oh, and one last thing; try not making your text as noticeable. I'm pretty sure the dragon is meant to be the center of attention, correct?

-----------------

Made this a while ago, just never got around to getting it rated:

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
    Is that a font you're using for the text, or just an image? If it's a font, you should really start using an anti-alias; they work wonders, and help make the text not as jagged and such.

I like the colors, but you could work on blending. I can clearly see the different sections when I look at the background on the right, which is okay I guess, but not on this banner. You blended the render in pretty well, though.

Another thing I don't like is how the banner just fades out on the left side. Not a big fan of that. Oh, and one last thing; try not making your text as noticeable. I'm pretty sure the dragon is meant to be the center of attention, correct?

Actually, that's an image (or, quite a few put together; it was a page of D&D draconian symbols laid out like the alphabet)-- thus, the jagged edges you see are the real deal and intentional according to whichever person for D&D made them. And... well, I kind of liked how the blending turned out, but I can go back and work on it some more if it'll mean that it looks better to you.

And... well, poo; I kind of liked the fading out on the left side... meh, if you insist, perhaps I can find a way to alter that and fix it too; maybe make it look more like a thunder cloud, given the fact that Silver dragons live in clouds... ? And as for who gets the center of attention, I honestly didn't see a problem with it at first; I guess for me (for whatevere odd reason), my eye naturally drew itself to the dragon. Ah well-- I guess I can mess with that as well.

Thanks for the critique, Rockets.

NOW, onto your banner! *strikes a pose*

9/10; very nice piece and fairly simple in creation from what I can see-- nothing super fancy and BAM in your face. The text is small, but still notciable, and overall the color scheme looks great. *thumbs up*

EDIT:

Last edited:

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    DGexe: First off, I'm not loving the text. Unless that "text" is your main focal, it really shouldn't take up half the banner. And if it is your focal, then it's probably be best in a language we all can understand. Of course, since you said it was an image you'll just have to resize or something. The dragon image itself has pretty bad quality but that's not really your fault so I'll let that one go. Lastly, I don't like how the left sides ends in that cloudlike shape. I can't explain it, it just looks... awkward. My advice: let the dragon's head and wings stick out like it already is but end the banner in a rectangular shape.

-----

It's been forever and a day since I posted her, but Gummy has returned with a new amateur banner. Let the rating commence!

Renneh

I know A Bot
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2009
    Gummy- I love looking at it, lots of details that you start to see with each glance. I'd probably blur out the top right a little bit.

What are those smudge brushes/smudge settings you are using? I love the smudging (I suck at smudging) though where that blue bit comes out as a smudge, I would have had that and the beigey smudge bit going in the same direction I think.

I don't like the purple splatter bottom right, I think splatter should go there but me more like the bit behind.

---

Here is my entry for this week's SOTW...

Comments?

Years
    • Age 14
    • Seen Jul 6, 2011
    I like it. There could of been a little more added, preferably on the right side.
    The text kinda kills it. Maybe a smaller size or just no text at all.
    The splatters go well with it, as well as the C4d.
    Is that smudging at the top of the head? Whatever it is, I don't really like it.

---

Renneh

I know A Bot
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2009
    Thanks for the rating =)

For yours:
    I would have probably added a different colour to compliment it, it isn't monotonous because of the different shades but a different colour would do good.

For the ball of light, the rays need to be either erased completely or a little.

There is also a dark bar to his left, can you see it? It doesn't fit in there.

Nice banner, I like the idea and what you achieved and the background is nice.

---

=) done as a request on another forum apart from this doesn't have the text they wanted in.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    Renneh
    Good concept and it was almost pulled off at a great standard although there is one glaring flaw. And that is the opacity of the splatters. They are way to bright and I recommend you either darken the colours or lower the opacity.
    Next, that white splodge thing is good, but again lower the opacity or smudge the edges, it just looks tacked on there.
    I think the banner looks a bit empty which can be easily fixed by taking a chunk off the height of the banner. This will make it less empty and look a lot better.
    Lastly, you need a border. Just stick a chunky 3px or 2px black border on there and it will close off the edges making it feel more complete.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 14
    • Seen Jul 6, 2011
    Like noxious said, it would look a lot better if the splatters did not stick out more then Orochimaru.

---

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    Very nice banner Kanye.
    Nice effects, nice composition. All i can recommend is some text because it looks a little dull without any.

_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

My first banner in ages without the aid of my usual brushes and stuff.
    Tried a new style sort of and used all smudging and effects.

Renneh

I know A Bot
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2009
    I really like it, I'd probably get rid of the faded large warrior text. And I might make it a little lighter. And I'd perhaps fiddle about with the contrast a little bit because that bright bit is really contrasted.

Oh and blur in where the purple part ends on the right.
    ---

Done as a request =) It was a little hard getting to this from a grey photo.

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
    @Kanye - Yaaay for sepia toned tags! But not really. The light source is pretty dead on but the depth is lacking. Blurring some renders would help get your depth. The stock kind of gets lost in the background and my eye doesn't settle on one particular thing. But mostly, work on your colors. ;;

@Renneh - Oh lawd. ;; No offense but artistically, it's lacking in every aspect. There's nothing visually pleasing about it, especially those multicolored splatter. The light source you attempted to put in is obviously fake and really shouldn't be there at all. It's way too dark and the stock is suffering from FHS (floating head syndrome). I like where you're going with the red and blue lines extending off his tongue because it gives the tag some flow. Basic tutorials = (b'-')b

@Kanye again - Everything looks way too washed out in this one. Overall it looks pretty good, though I would go for a more defiant light source (but not overpowering). And I would blur some of the shenans in the back to give it some depth. Crank up the saturation, too. +30 or 40 would do nicely. Nice job on this one.

@noxious - Canvas is much too small to do anything with. ;; I can't even tell what the stock is. There's not much of anything going on here except for some random effects here and there. In my opinion, scrap it.

@Renneh ... again - You can do a lot with a black and white photo. Here's some of mine, for example:

Both original black and white photos. So... again with the splatter. ;; Splatter really only works if you're going to make a layer mask out of it. Otherwise, I'd refrain from using it, or at least a lot of it. There's a lot of effects going on that you probably don't need. As you can see in my tags, minimalism on black and white works pretty well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CD cover for the band Mae, as an independent project for Graphic Design/my portfolio.

Renneh

I know A Bot
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2009
    @Renneh - Oh lawd. ;; No offense but artistically, it's lacking in every aspect. There's nothing visually pleasing about it, especially those multicolored splatter. The light source you attempted to put in is obviously fake and really shouldn't be there at all. It's way too dark and the stock is suffering from FHS (floating head syndrome). I like where you're going with the red and blue lines extending off his tongue because it gives the tag some flow. Basic tutorials = (b'-')b
    I realized I had FHS but his shoulders were so ugly in the original stock heh =) Artistically lacking in every aspect... not sure what to say about that. =( eek blow to self esteem..must eat chocolate.
    The light source is at the bottom coming up towards the face.
    The big ball of light is supposed to be an energy sort of ball, that is obviously done badly because I blurred it a bit too much, well very much. =)

For the grey photo, I wish I had gone for your first style, grey smudging/cloud-like background with a brightly coloured effect part, I really like that, might try that some time.

Oh the second grey photo style, I can't decide whether I like the text or not. I can never decide whether I like text as I don't usually like it at all in a signature, I'd make the light source on the right, a tiny bit less bright. But the text is done well, doesn't take my eyes away from him but is eye-catching if you get what I mean.

For your portfolio piece.

I'm loving the tree branches. I don't feel the diagonal text fits in. I would have made the orange part in the middle, errm the brushes you done it with (think it was brushes) a bit bigger so the colour didn't fade so much, and I'd prefer the bottom left red-brown to be less brown. =)
    I actually like the green c4d with the tree branches, they contrast well =) I'd love to see you do some big text, and decorate it with the style you've used in this big piece..like with the tree branches and the colours used.

Last edited:

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    Side Note:
    Just because the a picture is b&w doesn't mean you can't colourise it.

CME:
    The c4d style and the tree branches don't suit each other. The orange light effect makes it look low quality.
    The diagonal text looks out of place. I would say take it out of the portfolio and choose another piece.

RATE THE ABOVE POSTER'S PIECE

Renneh

I know A Bot
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2009
    (see my other post for what I said about Color Me Evil's piece)

Clipping mask love, much? XP haha

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    @Renneh
    Way too many things going on (In my opinion). Your image got lost within the multitude of clipping masks. I prefer light banners with high saturation and bright lights, so I dunno what to say about yours. I don't like the border on it. It's a bit too thick. ^^" It's not a bad but it's not my taste.

I would like to get my new banner rated.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018

Yes,I'm just a newbie to Photoshop ;p.
    I'm gonna edit later.
    @Yusaku very nice colors,I love the textures and the photo,this is an excellent peace of art.

Last edited:

Nytkoi

Pokemon Copper!
    Years
    (see my other post for what I said about Color Me Evil's piece)

Clipping mask love, much? XP haha

Ahh, I love the colors and c4d of it. Very nice job, and the render seems to fit a rainbow background perfectly. Yet, the words I can't read... But away from that, a very good signature. Love to see more from you!

@Renneh
    Way too many things going on (In my opinion). Your image got lost within the multitude of clipping masks. I prefer light banners with high saturation and bright lights, so I dunno what to say about yours. I don't like the border on it. It's a bit too thick. ^^" It's not a bad but it's not my taste.

I would like to get my new banner rated.

When I looked at this firstly, I almost said 'Meh.' Im sorry, but I can't really feel the render blending in. But, actualluy, that's exactly like what my usual banners are, so Im not gonna rate too hard. =]

Yes,I'm just a newbie to Photoshop ;p.
    I'm gonna edit later.
    @Yusaku very nice colors,I love the textures and the photo,this is an excellent peace of art.

Pretty good for a newbie, my first one looked like a peice of cr*p. Exept I personally do not like banners that have an image cut out like that instead of being blended/smudged in with the backround. Like I said though, pretty good for a newbie. =D

One of my first banners in a long time. I made it a few minutes ago xD
    Its for my brother's maplestory character, waterman001. [Lv44 Spearman] I might get off my lazy butt and put a border on it, even *hears crowd gasp*

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    Yusaku: I really like this banner, compared to your other work, this one rocks. You used Patterns and brushes which makes it look cool, but, don't use Papyrus as a text. Also, text kills that tag.

BrightFer: I really like this banner. You used textures, and such which makes it cool. Although I don't like the text. maybe you should make the text vertical instead of like that. Also, you should ahve the image of Vanessa frontal shot, you know? looking at us. o.o;;

Nytkoi: I like the backgroud, but the image is just plain blurry, and what's more you tried to make it blend and makes it more blurry. Also, since the background is light-blue, I think white belnds well, but the yellow outline belnds in too well, which makes it blurry. :|

--

I made that for my friend. Which was 2 months old. xDDD

Made from myself, since the first one (not my code geass one) suck more.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back