• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Graphics Rating Thread [READ THE FIRST POST. D:<]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    @ CME's Banner, I like the simple look of it, I think that is what brings it out so much. The use of some color you placed in near bottom and sparingly in the background brought it out more and gave the banner a nice effect, so that was some nice use in that area. Overall, I think it came out nicely text is optional, because the basic look of it wins me over.

Anyway, here is something I feel is still in progress. I just don't know what else might need to be added or removed at this point of the banner. So some ratings on this would be helpful.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
    @ CME's Banner, I like the simple look of it, I think that is what brings it out so much. The use of some color you placed in near bottom and sparingly in the background brought it out more and gave the banner a nice effect, so that was some nice use in that area. Overall, I think it came out nicely text is optional, because the basic look of it wins me over.

Anyway, here is something I feel is still in progress. I just don't know what else might need to be added or removed at this point of the banner. So some ratings on this would be helpful.

The rules state: you must rate the banner posted above your post in order to get yours rated.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    The rules state: you must rate the banner posted above your post in order to get yours rated.
    With yours, it is nice as a background, but as a banner it would be too large and it is a bit too simple. I think more is needed to it, but then again Paint isn't the best program to use when it comes to graphics as a whole. Also, I would agree with you, the moon doesn't fit the image as the other aspects of it do.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
    @Let's Get Lost Together. : I like the concept of yours (A little too literal maybe, but still well thought-out), but the execution isn't the best. It's a tad too simplistic for my taste, especially since the only true effects are the assorted clouds. The lighting is a tad odd though, I mean the placement is correct with your render, but why is it orange (Unless you're going for the sun =P)? The text isn't bad though, which is something I will always struggle with. I guess what I'd like to see are some actual effects to compliment your concept, maybe something involving clouds in front of the render?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ehh, not too bad I suppose

the bitter end.

.only slightly insane
    Years
    A newb to graphics?

Don't worry, CME just tends to be a little harsh. ;]

As for Umbreon's, I like the tag, especially the smudging, though I think that you could have also smudged the render. (At least more visibly.) I'm not a fan of that wireframe, but that's just me I guess. I think you could have added more to the forgeground, maybe some lighting.

Rate?

Angela

Aristocracy
    Years
    Don't worry, CME just tends to be a little harsh. ;]

As for Umbreon's, I like the tag, especially the smudging, though I think that you could have also smudged the render. (At least more visibly.) I'm not a fan of that wireframe, but that's just me I guess. I think you could have added more to the forgeground, maybe some lighting.

Rate?

[/COLOR][/COLOR]

That's a different one I gotta admit that... It's different in a good way.. :D

Ok I love the light you applied behind the text... The text is well placed, tho the Save me part looks a tad blurry.. Also you should try using another font type on the smaller text.. :) Maybe another colour.. :)

The flow is just fabulous, gotta say you had an excellent stock to work with and you did it very well.. :D

I like the thing on here arm the thing that glows.... It could be a c4d or just something in the images.. :)

Then only thing I can say is that the blue greenish part behind her.. It would look better in a white'ish-grayish colour.. Or you could just use the burn tool on it...

Also if you add a border then the banner would be just divine.. :)

Ok here is a banner I made.. Rate please.. :)

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Alright, here we go.

I'm not sure about that Lens Flare you put at the left hand corner, because it's just...there. As for the c4d's and texture, they go quite well with the girl and the color adjustments are okay. However, the quality is a bit poor and it really shows it on the face. Not sure about the borders either. Overall, it's good and keep up the good work. Try working on some Selective Coloring for your renders and backgrounds too. It really brings out tags and icons.

& here's what I've done. Critic away~

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2009
    ~KAORI

Well the first one is pretty amazing but there is something in the right bottom corner...
    No idea what it is since I ain't a skilled gfx'er, I am pretty new to it all : o
    And you all amaze me whit awesome gfx'ing skillz x(
    But the first one could need a border 2 I think : )
    I still give it 10/10 : D

The second one : D
    I luv it xO
    The c4d on the right is a little to strong for my taste : )
    But I luv it anyway <3 : D
    10/10 on that 2 : D

*Rate my current one*

If you know some awesome tuts I would be happy : D Since I am pretty new to gfx'ing I would luv anything that help me improve : )

I use PS2 : D

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
    Wtf is PS2? Do you mean PSCS2? Anyways, there's a thread for tutorials here.

As for the banner, the stock blends into the background way too much. It's lacking all artistic elements: light, depth, and proper colors. Also, not everything needs a border. I can't really say much more than that cause there's just really nothing there. It just looks like a bunch of brushes mashed together set on overlay.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
    I can rates any, yesh?
    I've never done this before but here it goes...

- Kaori
    This banner/tag is very pretty.But the render seems a bit too pale to me, doesn't stick out enough. And I'm not sure about the text, doesn't seem to be in the right place to me. But other than that I lvoe the colouring and the effects (newbdunnowhattheycalled) you have going on behind the render. 9/10 (:

---

My fail banner. I'm sure you get the "I'm new to this" thang all the damn time. But it's true! I am. I was kinda pleased with it but y'all are far more experienced than me. Critique away!

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
    I can rates any, yesh?

I've never done this before but here it goes...

- Kaori
    This banner/tag is very pretty.But the render seems a bit too pale to me, doesn't stick out enough. And I'm not sure about the text, doesn't seem to be in the right place to me. But other than that I lvoe the colouring and the effects (newbdunnowhattheycalled) you have going on behind the render. 9/10 (:

---

My fail banner. I'm sure you get the "I'm new to this" thang all the damn time. But it's true! I am. I was kinda pleased with it but y'all are far more experienced than me. Critique away!
    For an inexperienced banner maker, I quite like this. Some would say it was empty, but I actually like things that are a little more simplistic. The colour of the drop shadow doesn't really fit with the rest of the banner, which knocks it off a little, but I like the effect given by the splatters. The irregularly-spaced stripes and the effect on the background are quite nice also. I'd give this an 8/10.

OK, lemme go dig out a banner for teh ratingxorz. :3

My second latest. Started off by following a tut, but went nuts halfway through. Idk, I quite like it. Especially the vector that I've been longing for a chance to use. :3

Last edited:

Doonesbury

Don't even worry about it.
    Years

I think the background is a little too abstract for it's own good. If you're gonna use vector brushes, try to keep the background as plain as possible. There's obviously exceptions, but more often than not a plain background works best. Your focal (the render I'm guessing) should be a little more defined, too. The text and the vector are definitely attracting a lot of attention. If I were you, I'd just lose the vector and redo the text. Those are the two main issues I have with this banner. Oh, and that splatter behind the text. Not really doing much for it... just sayin'. Not the greatest I've ever seen, but keep it up.

---

Two versions:

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years

I think the background is a little too abstract for it's own good. If you're gonna use vector brushes, try to keep the background as plain as possible. There's obviously exceptions, but more often than not a plain background works best. Your focal (the render I'm guessing) should be a little more defined, too. The text and the vector are definitely attracting a lot of attention. If I were you, I'd just lose the vector and redo the text. Those are the two main issues I have with this banner. Oh, and that splatter behind the text. Not really doing much for it... just sayin'. Not the greatest I've ever seen, but keep it up.

---

Two versions:

Hmmkay. I'm liking the red one better, here. Nice stock, although I don't recognise her. The focal is clearly the focal (your clouds see to that), but it could have done with a little dodging imo. The pattern you've used is really nice, though. It's nice, darkly busy while still keeping the focal prominent. Even though I've said that, though, the focal is a little hard to see.

Because we all know Sasuke likes to blow stuff up.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    I take it that you're a beginner, eh?

I tell you what, the banner just looks like: random background from google + render on some layer mode + text. Boring. Add some spice to it instead of just slapping random renders on random backgrounds. People don't want simple, they want something that stands out. I'll give you a recommedation: use some c4ds. Really, they add amazing effects that give you a shiny metallic look, flow, etc.

The render is completely ruined in this banner. It looks like it's not even there, your eyes just glance over it and are drawn to the text. Your render should be your focal point, so when you look at your banner the attention should be drawn to it. Eyes are drawn to light, so usually you want your render to be somewhat lighter than the other parts of your banner. The text is too bold and stands out way too much compared to the render; pretty much all the attention goes to the text. Usually you want your text to be a lot smaller than that, especially when you're have a large sentence. Also, if you have a long phrase you want to put in your banner, don't just put your sentence in the same style throughout! Use some variations. Like: -

It's not always about how complicated the font is normally. o3o Sometimes a simple Times New Roman or Arial can be the most effective.

And about your colors, you need to get more of them into this banner. All I see is different shades of blue. You can screen some 100px red soft brushes here and there and apply some different color schemes with c4ds and stuff.

PS ew Naruto. Good quality renders at PlanetRenders and AnimeRender. 8>

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years

I prefer the black and white one, it maybe personal preference, but I think it black and with it all seems to flow a bit better. I don't like how, again might be personal preference, on the coloured one the skin of your render (Avril Lavigne? o_o) seems to almost clash with the background. Coloured: 7/10, Black and White: 8/10.

More newbfailbanners! xD

Spoiler:

Any help is muchly appreciated to help me improve.

Doonesbury

Don't even worry about it.
    Years
    I prefer the black and white one, it maybe personal preference, but I think it black and with it all seems to flow a bit better. I don't like how, again might be personal preference, on the coloured one the skin of your render (Avril Lavigne? o_o) seems to almost clash with the background. Coloured: 7/10, Black and White: 8/10.

The stock wasn't Avril Lavigne. I actually have no idea who it was, but it wasn't her. x] And I see what you're trying to say about her skin, but do you not think it would be a tad monotone if the skin blended in more with the background? Thanks for the rate, though.

It's really... plain. o_o It doesn't look horrible, but that's probably just because there's barely anything there. Look at a few tutorials to learn some new techniques to incorporate into your own banners. C4Ds, smudging, clipping masks, light effects... things like that.

Nothing much else to say regarding the avatar. Looks like you just cropped an little piece out of the main banner. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's good to make both the banner and the avatar a little unique sometimes. Maybe add some different C4Ds, etc.

Yeah, basically the exact same thing I just said for your other banner. It's painfully plain. Honestly, try looking at a few tutorials. You'll thank me later. (y)

---

'electrifying goat heads'.
    I'm normal, don't even worry about it.

Jesus oƒ Suburbia

east jesus nowhere?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2015

This one looks a lot better than the colored one, it feels leveled.
    Though you could do something to highlight the focal area.
    Do a little smudging, outside the focal area, near the edges and lower the opacity.

I'd give it a 7/10.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    For a forum header, I really like it. The blue overlapse over the rest of Pokémon bringing Mudkip out is a nice effect. The text is also really nice and keeps the flow of the banner going. The only problem I see is a bit of low quality on Mudkipand the random lens flare next to it just seems abit out of place. Other than that it's pretty nice.

As for me, I recently got Photoshop CS4 and I'm doing a bit of practice with it. Here are the first two tags I've made with it thus far.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    For a forum header, I really like it. The blue overlapse over the rest of Pokémon bringing Mudkip out is a nice effect. The text is also really nice and keeps the flow of the banner going. The only problem I see is a bit of low quality on Mudkipand the random lens flare next to it just seems abit out of place. Other than that it's pretty nice.

As for me, I recently got Photoshop CS4 and I'm doing a bit of practice with it. Here are the first two tags I've made with it thus far.

For this one, I really rather like it. though I do feel you could have put a little more on top of the render. For example, I kinda looks as if you just pasted the render onto the background you made then pated the render on and did some colour manipulation (keep in mind I dont have the stock). I love the simplicty. But I do feel you could have done a bit more with the image, seems half done. Try using some bucket fills and setting them on certain modes (I'll explain in MSN). Also do a bit more with selective colour and bring out the reds. All in all though it just needs some colour manipulation and some lighting. A nice hot pink to black, round gradient map set to screen around the render would do nicely. All in all a decent tag, especially for learning the ropes in CS4. Just looks half finished x]

This I do like quite a but. Again though much the same could be done with this tag. Some more selective colour to bring out the render. Her face could do with a little more contrast so try using selective colour to bring out the yellows, or use white to bring out the yellows, which ever works better. I would also sharpen your base, duplicate the base then set to screen at around 40% or so, play around. Then duplicate the base again and set it to overlay on 25% or so, maybe a bit more and put those two above your base (render). Now this is just my personal opinion but it would be cool to see the text decrease in size each time rather than having it the same each time. And maybe you could add a 4th "Dance" smaller than the others. Just play around with that x]

Looking good though, I'm liking the tags!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back