• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The male protagonist is a fashion disaster

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I know that the characters in Pokemon aren't exactly known for their fashion sense, but in the fourth gen games it really seemed like Ken Sugimori had started giving at least some priority to the clothes that characters were wearing. In my opinion, Lucas and Dawn looked really cool, and some of the NPCs did too (Cynthia's fur coat was amazing).

I was hoping that fashion would become an even higher priority in future games, until we eventually get Ai Yazawa-calibre character designs, but then I saw the concept art for the Heart Gold/Soul Silver protagonists and my hopes were dashed. Admittedly, the new girl doesn't look too bad, but the male character is wearing a backwards-facing baseball cap and three-quarter length pants. That wouldn't have been so bad if this was the mid-nineties or something, but we're living in 2009! Clothes like that are socially unacceptable!

And yes, I know that his clothes are supposed to be an homage to the main character in Gold and Silver, but to be honest they weren't even in style back then. It's a fashion disaster, I tell you!

I'm sat here crying into my copy of Vogue!

Last edited:

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
    Hmmm... I must disagree with you. I like the design for male character. He's one of the few people that can make the backwards cap look work imo... I don't really think it should matter too much what they look like anyway.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    I know that the characters in Pokemon aren't exactly known for their fashion sense, but in the fourth gen games it really seemed like Ken Sugimori had started giving at least some priority to the clothes that characters were wearing. In my opinion, Lucas and Dawn looked really cool, and some of the NPCs did too (Cynthia's fur coat was amazing).

I was hoping that fashion would become an even higher priority in future games, until we eventually get Ai Yazawa-calibre character designs, but then I saw the concept art for the Heart Gold/Soul Silver protagonists and my hopes were dashed. Admittedly, the new girl doesn't look too bad, but the male character is wearing a backwards-facing baseball cap and three-quarter length pants. That wouldn't have been so bad if this was the mid-nineties or something, but we're living in 2009! Clothes like that are socially unacceptable!

And yes, I know that his clothes are supposed to be an homage to the main character in Gold and Silver, but to be honest they weren't even in style back then. It's a fashion disaster, I tell you!

I'm sat here crying into my copy of Vogue!

He was designed around that time. Every player character in the games has there hat, and Gold's hat is a backwards facing baseball cap. I like it, because its what its supposed be as a remake.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    I thought the HGSS girl was fashion challenged; she's wearing knee high socks, overalls, and a huge hat. I don't know any little girls wearing something like that (more like some sparkly Hannah Montana shirt and skirt lol). Dawn and Cynthia are nice; no comment on Lucas as I forgot his design.

I think Gold is the smexiest guy. He's 10 years old so he's gonna be a little boy with a backwards sports cap.. I wouldn't want him in short shorts either.

Since when are Pokemon trainers/fans socially acceptable, honestly?

Giratinarules

Pokemon Champion
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Oct 5, 2012
    actually the girl is the biggest fashion disaster in all the games heck even worse then dawn and lucas

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
    Years
    Gold looks fine. But Soul might just disgust me. Though she has thigh high socks (only fashionable thing on here) what is up with everything else? And the hat??

silvanarrow

A figment of your imagination
    Years
    I actually really like Gold's design, though I don't like Soul's outfit at all. But think of it this way: Their overworld sprits are so tiny that you won't be able to see their outfits in excruciating detail, and you won't even see Gold from the waist down (for those who don't like his pants) when you're in battle. As for Soul's hat, I can't offer much consolation there other than I'll probably just ignore it.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Who would be happy if Nintendo put Kris back in at the last minute and ditched Soul?

Hatenko

Hiya!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2010
    With each new character their outfit gets worse.

Red - Acceptable
    Gold - Acceptable
    Kris - Somewhat Acceptable
    May - Okay
    Brendan - Bad
    Wes - Bad
    Rui - Bad
    Leaf - Bad
    Michael - Ew
    Dawn - Bad
    Lucas - Really bad
    Soul - Horrible

Years
    What? This is the best male protagonist I've ever seen. I like the backwards hat and the shorts. It's better than the beret. It's much better than Luca's DP outfit. Anyway, clothes sometimes go back in style. And there is something called "retro?" Right? At least his pants aren't yellow. I like the black shorts better. The girls' outfit may not be "fashion forward," but it's not bad for a Pokemon game. The girl reminds me of a painter. I could care less if people wear those size hats or not, but I like the hat. I wouldn't wear it, though, but it's okay. It looks like the girl stole Kris' hat, put a bow on, and inflated it. I remember seeing a hat that size in Joyce Leslie (a clothing store) last year. It had a pattern on it, though. I don't see the "socks" as socks. I see them as knee highs that should be sheer. At least the colors match. They had to keep the yellow on Gold's hat.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    I think you should check back on Lucas, I don't remember those hats being fashionably popular since the 40s. Besides Gold looks good, don't you just love 90s look, backwards caps are still popular, well not really but he looks fine. I don't really like the way Soul looks, her OW sprite looks okay but her battle sprite is a bit too much for me.

Back