• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The male protagonist is a fashion disaster

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    gold looks amazing also try to remember that this game was made in the 90s 1999 to be exact the clothes in hgss are adaptations of the origionals

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I really like Gold's design, in opinion, he's the best looking male protagonist so far.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Guys, are you seriously saying that you'd go outside today wearing a backwards-facing baseball cap?

I wouldn't, because 90's fashion is not cool. Seriously, a retro look is fine (which is why I like Lucas), but 90's fashion hasn't yet become retro, and I doubt it ever will because it lacks any semblance of charm. It was a terrible decade for fashion, from which we've only recently recovered.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I've seen characters in Anime wear similar style clothes to both Gold and Soul.

All of you are comparing the clothing style in a JAPANESE game to AMERICAN fashion.

You guys have to rememeber we're talking about two different cultures :/

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
    I don't think his outfit is that bad. It's not my favorite, of course.
    Dunsparce has a point. I love Japanese fashion. I just don't like her hat. >.> <.<

xxChazxx

It's Been a While
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2016
    I liked the way his clothes looked in the originals, but these new clothes aren't too great I must admit. I haven't much of a problem, however, as fashion doesn't matter to me much.

If only he wore jeans with that hoodie...

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Guys, are you seriously saying that you'd go outside today wearing a backwards-facing baseball cap?

I wouldn't, because 90's fashion is not cool. Seriously, a retro look is fine (which is why I like Lucas), but 90's fashion hasn't yet become retro, and I doubt it ever will because it lacks any semblance of charm. It was a terrible decade for fashion, from which we've only recently recovered.

Of course, this is just my opinion.
    I'm a girl, and I would totally wear a backwards cap. It's the only way I would wear a cap. ^_^

whats a NPC?-.-"
    To me, I think that the clothes get worse and worse throughout the games

:t354:TG
    Non player character.

Years
    I'd wear a backwards baseball cap. lol I may even wear it sideways like the youngster does in HGSS. XD I've seen the characters in Animal Crossing wear sideways caps. Also, like others have said, you're comparing Japanese fashion to American fashion. The decade is almost over. (Usually new fashions every decade.) Who knows? Maybe we'll start wearing over sized hats w/ bows and backwards baseball caps again. XD

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I think they've made him like this so he would look more childish... just think all the trainers in the games are supposed to be 10 years old.... yet none of them look ten more like 16... but now look at the new heros they look like kids dont they?

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2021
    Im going to have to disagree with you here, I personally like Gold's look and I hardly care what they look like. I've never cared too much about any of them except for Lucas. I felt a little left out because I always thought of Lucas as being gay. don't get me wrong, I have nothing against gay people, I even have gay friends, but I'm not gay and having my player character wear a a beret and scarf kinda killed it for me. I've never liked berets, not even on girls, and as for scarfs, well lets just say I'd rather have my sinnoh pokemon journey in a t-shirt and shorts than wear a scarf. (as a matter of fact I hardly wear a coat, jacket, or long sleeved anything in the winter to begin with)

As for wearing a backwards hat, thats the only way I wear a hat. I can't stand wearing it forward, I feel like a dork.

シルバー

Γ Чεr ςcreαm is βut a drəαм х
    Years
    I think they've made him like this so he would look more childish... just think all the trainers in the games are supposed to be 10 years old.... yet none of them look ten more like 16... but now look at the new heros they look like kids dont they?

May/Sapphire didn't look much like a kid D:

And yes they do, except for Silver. They made him use Jenny Creg or something. Mr.Chubbz is now Mr.Twig and his eye color magically changed...CONTACTZ D:

Aro-kun

Pokemon trainer
    Years
    I like Gold's new clothes.....that's something that i'd wear :P I just don't like the way Red's hat looks in FR/LG why can't his hair stick out the front? It would look cooler......

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    May/Sapphire didn't look much like a kid D:

And yes they do, except for Silver. They made him use Jenny Creg or something. Mr.Chubbz is now Mr.Twig and his eye color magically changed...CONTACTZ D:
    realy.... man im 13 and i know alot of 10 year olds... there realy short....(but maybe it seems like that because im realy lanky) the youngsters in the game looks more like 10 year olds to me and look at the difference between the heros and the younsters in the game....

joehat

Yay
    Years
    I would have to disagree as well. I think Gold is one of the cooler looking characters, as well as Red. I think Brendan, May, and Crystal look pretty good too. Dawn even looks alright.

But..Lucas. He looks like the worst representation of a Pokemon trainer I've seen. I know, who am I to say what a Pokemon trainer looks like. It's just the way NPC's in the games describe trainers, I just imagine someone (if they were male) in jeans and a t-shirt with a backpack. Lucas looks like he's going to a fancy dinner dance, not on a Pokemon journey.

May and Crystal have the best female outfits. Of course Dawn's is nice, but I don't know about that skirt in the cold Sinnoh region haha. But hey, whatever, it's Pokemon.

I definitely think Pokemon would benefit from having a few alternate outfits for each character, or something of the like.

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
    Since Gold/Silver was released in the late 90's early 2000's, I believe they might be trying to make the characters resemble that. I don't know this for sure, of course, but, it could be a reason.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Dunsparce has a point. I love Japanese fashion. I just don't like her hat. >.> <.<

I've seen many Anime/Manga where Characters of either Gender wear big poofy hats like that.

And from what I've seen, In Japan, there is no cultural connections between Overalls and the Countryside.

Characters like Tsukasa from Lucky Star have worn similar Overalls on many occasions.

La Foudre

<3 Sneasel.
    Years
    I absolutely love Gold's clothes. Probably something I would wear, other than the baseball cap. But it looks fine on him.

Last edited:
    Back