• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The male protagonist is a fashion disaster

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I still think Lucas has the worst outfit of any character in any pokemon game. I mean...just look at the beret. This is why I always play as Dawn in DPPt... >_>

Gold's original design was admittedly kinda silly (who wears a red hoodie with bright yellow shorts?), but his redesign comes a bit closer to feasibility. At least they made his pants black and gave them the semblance of long pants that have been rolled up...I still don't see why seeing his calves are absolutely necessary... >_<

...and don't dis a backwards baseball cap, it makes you look awesome. ^_^

Last edited:

xoBoxxy

Off the Wall
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Ohio
    • Seen Mar 6, 2010
    Well unlike you, we're not slaves to the world of fashion. Gold looks retro and cool. Besides its a remake hes going to look the same.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    i think the big hat would work if it was a bit smaller, soul had her hair worn down and the hat didn't have a stupid bow on the back of it. Couple that with jeans and a normal t-shirt and you have yourself a better looking soul.

Now as for Gold, no, im not even gonna bother. he makes lucas look like gok wan (a fashion guru for those who dont know), but he's meant to be ten, so who cares.

xxChazxx

It's Been a While
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2016
    i think the big hat would work if it was a bit smaller, soul had her hair worn down and the hat didn't have a stupid bow on the back of it. Couple that with jeans and a normal t-shirt and you have yourself a better looking soul.

Now as for Gold, no, im not even gonna bother. he makes lucas look like gok wan (a fashion guru for those who dont know), but he's meant to be ten, so who cares.

That is kind of strange. The standard for Pokemon Trainers is 10 y/o, but recently they have seemed older, perhaps 14-17 y/o. Why such a late start?

IcyArceusRider

Nyaaaaa <3
    Years
    I have to say that the male character's clothes definitely look better than the female's. Sure, I agree with you when you say that he's wearing a backwards hat, but the girl's outfit is what's really terrible in these versions. Seriously, what kind of girl her age wears overall shorts anymore? I mean, I like her hat...but I think SHE'S the fashion disaster.

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    Oooh pooor you
    it must be so terrible to see Gold wear such dreadful clothes
    HOW DARE THEY
    I OUGHTA CALL THE FASHION POLICE

its just so terrible!!11 >n<

I think Gold has some mighty fine pixels to be honest ;o

No love for Soul either i see
    I find those sexy overalls and that cream puff hat enchanting

Now the only characters whose clothes i dislike are Kris's (just the colors though, ick)
    and Brendan, (whats with his hat D:)
    Though i don't really find Dawn's clothes appropriate for an adventure ._.

I actually think Lucas is cute D:

Years
    Red=cute
    Gold=adorable, not a fan of yellow shorts, but I like how he wears shorts instead of pants.
    Kris=meh not too crazy about the blue hair or bicycle shorts. (Wished she had a natural hair color when I first played it.)
    May=Okay, Better than Kris.
    Brendan=first outfit was weird, but the second one was better.
    Leaf=Not too bad, but the trainer sprite isn't as good as the artwork. The hat is weird. I wish she had a baseball cap like Red did.
    Red=Cute but I like the original better.
    Dawn (DP)=Fashionable, but I really want to remove that red scarf. It doesn't go.
    Dawn(Platinum)=It's better. Happy the socks and the scarf match better.
    Lucas (DP)=Looks like he could be Pearl's (the rival's) boyfriend.
    Lucas (Platinum)=Much better than DP's outfit, but I would still remove that hat.
    Gold=Best male protagonist ever. I love his shorts and I love his shoes and shirt.
    Soul=Has smoother hair than Kris. The overalls make her look like a painter. The hat is cute. I could do w/out the shoes, but it's not that bad. Like the fact that she isn't wearing a Pokeball logo and the fact that her shirt is similar to Gold's old shirt. Appears to be the first female protagonist with brown eyes.

From the black trim on the socks and up, Soul's outfit isn't that bad.

The male protagonist is a fashion disaster

I like Gold's new look. He's cute. :)

the bitter end.

.only slightly insane
    Years
    Okay Ms. I-Want-To-Show-Off-That-I-Have-More-Fashion-Sense-Than-Everyone-Here, let's explain some stuff.

Firstly, Dunsparce is right. Japanese have a different Fashion-sense. Secondly, Sugimori probably wasn't trying to cater to the whims of self-proclaimed teenage fashion divas when he was making this guy. His standard was probably a bit lower than your fashion-quota. ;]

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    I think Gold is the smexiest guy. He's 10 years old so he's gonna be a little boy with a backwards sports cap.. I wouldn't want him in short shorts either.

Teehee, that reminded me of the Young Trainers who are for some reason obsessed with shorts. xD

I don't give a rat's hat about fashion, so I don't mind either Gold or Soul's outfits-or any of the character's outfits for that matter. But I'll admit, Brendan has a pretty weird hat, and Dawn seems obsessed with skirts.

LinK93

Translator/Beta tester
    Years
    i kind a liked Brendan's look, It was somehow different from the others and with that i mean no stupid caps or barrets
    I always liked to wear a bandanna.

xxChazxx

It's Been a While
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2016
    I thought the HGSS girl was fashion challenged; she's wearing knee high socks, overalls, and a huge hat. I don't know any little girls wearing something like that (more like some sparkly Hannah Montana shirt and skirt lol). Dawn and Cynthia are nice; no comment on Lucas as I forgot his design.

I think Gold is the smexiest guy. He's 10 years old so he's gonna be a little boy with a backwards sports cap.. I wouldn't want him in short shorts either.

Since when are Pokemon trainers/fans socially acceptable, honestly?

I don't know about you but, I like shorts! They're comfy and easy to wear!

charizard_maa

Queen Chair
    Years
    Guys, are you seriously saying that you'd go outside today wearing a backwards-facing baseball cap?

I wouldn't, because 90's fashion is not cool. Seriously, a retro look is fine (which is why I like Lucas), but 90's fashion hasn't yet become retro, and I doubt it ever will because it lacks any semblance of charm. It was a terrible decade for fashion, from which we've only recently recovered.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

I would. I have. Nobody complained.

Now wearing your hat backwards is good since the rim doesn't get in your way. The only time it does when you are driving then you have to take the hat off.

Still as I said before, only cool people wear their hats backwards. That is how you know they were cool.

Also remember, Gold's design was based on what was it at the time. Wearing your hat backwards was it and still it now. THey had to redesign him without getting rid of his spirit. Wearing his hat backwards is his spirit! If you get rid of of his hat being backwards then you lose Gold.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    i kind a liked Brendan's look, It was somehow different from the others and with that i mean no stupid caps or barrets
    I always liked to wear a bandanna.

You know he wears a hat too, right?

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I thought it was a bandanna. How else did we know he had white hair...?
    the only objections I've really had were Dawn wearing a skirt in Plat, the odd hat for Soul, and all the square hats in Gen1 (brace for impact)
    I really don't like Gold's pants, but meh.

System!

HM....................... .....
    Years
    Eh, I really don't care. I don't think Gold's outfit is that bad; it seems to be in the norm compared to other characters' outfits. Then again, don't the majority of the characters in Pokemon wear really far-out outfits?

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    in the case of brendans hair

its not as easy to see in the RS art
    but in the Emerald art

The male protagonist is a fashion disaster

he has black sideburns o:

hats = automatic cool according to pokemon o:
    Brendan just wants to be as cool as Gold and Red :>