• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The manga vs anime storyline

Hejlug

Gamemaker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2009
    Playing the games from red/blue to ruby/sapphire and watching the anime,i never thought of reading the mangas.
    The storyline in the anime always looked average to me.Now i finally decided to read the mangas,but the thing is i want to know:how many types are there?Do they share the same universe?

Thundєr

Freelancer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2013
    Read first Pokemon Special (Adventures) is based directly in the games from Red/Blue to the actual games of D/P/P, is the longest manga.

Last edited:

Hejlug

Gamemaker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2009
    Heh,just started that one :)
    I wonder:are there any mangas that create a storyline paradox?

Hejlug

Gamemaker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2009
    Does this mean events take place where they didnt in the other mangas,and character bios is changed?

Thundєr

Freelancer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2013
    Does this mean events take place where they didnt in the other mangas,and character bios is changed?

Yes, for example in Diamond and Pearl Adventures, the names are Hareta, Mitsumi and Jun. It's an side story.
    In Pokemon Special D/P/P Saga, the names are Diamond, Pearl and Platina Berlitz.
    And the storyline is also different.

Last edited:

Hejlug

Gamemaker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2009
    Ok,last question:
    Which came first:
    The manga,game or the anime?

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
    The anime, sadly, really doesn't have a conventional storyline because a conventional storyline ends when the story is done and told. Now a story that will stop when it stops cashing in can't afford the luxury of a conventional storyline.

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2010
    The anime, sadly, really doesn't have a conventional storyline because a conventional storyline ends when the story is done and told. Now a story that will stop when it stops cashing in can't afford the luxury of a conventional storyline.
    The video game came first and the anime came second in Japan first Pokemon Red and Green (not Blue) came out on February 27, 1996 and the Pokemon anime came out on April 1, 1997. However in where I live at the anime aired first on April 12, 1998 and Pokemon Red and Blue (Yes Blue) was released on September 1, 1998. It annoys me that the anime aired before the video games where released because the games came first in the country I live in and they are suppose to be should first because they are the original stories and creator of Pokemon was actually involved in making the games. As for the mangas it depends on which manga you are referring to and I do not know which manga came first either.

Last edited:

Wallace Berlitz

I'm back for lucks and givin'
    Years
    Ok,last question:
    Which came first:
    The manga,game or the anime?

First, it's too obvious the manga is based on the game. The characters even have their version name to represent their game like Blue, Green and Red... But Anime released first. Manga is 95% based on the game. Anime is just 20% base on the game. Why? Because Anime only follow the regions. They didn't change Ash this bastard to the other male character. Like in third generation. Brendan should replace Ash. Brendan and Lucas only appear in a short cameo in the movie. So I think they really should take Ash out. And Anime don't even follow the game events. In manga, there's many thing that is follow in the manga and PokeSpecial is much better than the anime. They have all the game characters and two new characters (Yellow and Emerald). As for the 5% difference between the Games and Manga, they added some events. The added events are most likely in the end of the saga. Manga has storyline but Anime don't have. Anime has each different story in each anime. Manga's storyline is continue and continue.
    Wallace Ryan

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    In simpler terms...
    Anime=fail Manga=epic. You should always remember that and wil surely see that once you start enjoying manga over anime.

pong08

Black & White... don't fail me
    Years
    Ok, first of all, The pokespecial manga is just too epic. BUT, the anime is improving in content maturity. Believe it or not, but the pokemon movies become more intense every year, and in DP, in the pokemon ranger episode, there is a scene where Ash actually gets physically hurt. Not in a movie, but in a anime EPISODE. I used to hate Ash, but now I kind of like him again. don't get me wrong! I would replace Ash anyday with Red/Jimmy/Brendan/Lucas. But you got to give the writers credit to making Ash a slightly more mature character compared to the other seasons. And did anybody notice that Dawn is a lot more different from other girl partners in pokemon and therefore I think that is one of the reasons that Ash is SLIGHTLY making improvements in his maturity.

But, Manga still wins.

Hejlug

Gamemaker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2009
    Woah,now that i read the 'vs Onix' chapter,i saw how a Graveller is broken into pieces,Onix as well.Do they actually,um...DIE?Thats pretty barbareus to make pokemon fight to death...

invisible-chan

~Pocky Goddess~
    Years
    First of all, the games came first. There is no debate about that. Maybe the release varies in which country, but the very first appearance was the games in Japan. As for anime and manga, it all depends on which manga. Also, which arc in the anime(if you are including them). To some of you, this may come as a shock, but there are more than just the Special Adventures manga.

First, it's too obvious the manga is based on the game. The characters even have their version name to represent their game like Blue, Green and Red... But Anime released first. Manga is 95% based on the game. Anime is just 20% base on the game. Why? Because Anime only follow the regions. They didn't change Ash this bastard to the other male character. Like in third generation. Brendan should replace Ash. Brendan and Lucas only appear in a short cameo in the movie. So I think they really should take Ash out. And Anime don't even follow the game events. In manga, there's many thing that is follow in the manga and PokeSpecial is much better than the anime. They have all the game characters and two new characters (Yellow and Emerald). As for the 5% difference between the Games and Manga, they added some events. The added events are most likely in the end of the saga. Manga has storyline but Anime don't have. Anime has each different story in each anime. Manga's storyline is continue and continue.
    Wallace Ryan
    While I agree that PokeSupe is great, it isn't the best or most accurate. It's between 87 and 65% at best in accuracy. It completely changes certain characters and what tidbits of personality they have. Some of the events are so far off and bewildering from the game, you just have to wonder where they get it from. I'd say more, but it's all in my (dead)rant. Before anyone goes and flames me for "hating" the manga, note that I'm in no way bashing it and I am a fan.

Please excuse my off topic semi-rant. Basically order of existance is

1. Games
    2. Some different manga
    3. the Anime
    4. Other different manga.

I'm not sure whether PokeSupe is 2 or 4, but you could check the release dates in Bulbapedia or maybe Serebii.

Thundєr

Freelancer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2013
    Woah,now that i read the 'vs Onix' chapter,i saw how a Graveller is broken into pieces,Onix as well.Do they actually,um...DIE?Thats pretty barbareus to make pokemon fight to death...

Nope they didn't die, they only fainted. Note: The manga it's a little more mature than the anime.

Wallace Berlitz

I'm back for lucks and givin'
    Years
    I would replace Ash anyday with Red/Jimmy/Brendan/Lucas.

Um... Actually, Red = Ash in the game. Ash suppose to be name as Red in the anime but I don't know why they change. Because Ash and Red are base on the first generation main character design. But Red is much smarter and stronger than Ash. Ash always have a childish head, show-off, action and too champion ship. If you notice every Ash's movement, it is too "action" that's the first reason I hate him. Then he like to argure with the people who just hurt abit of him, second reason. And when he lose, he cried third reason. And Red is more better than Ash. Anyway, if you don't believe Ash and Red are base on the first generation game character design check here.
    https://www.serebii.net/manga/characters-new/red.shtml

Hejlug

Gamemaker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2009
    Dudes,i have no idea how a Graveller can regenerate after beeing broken into pieces.

Ru-Kun

bleh...
    Years

Well not in that chapter,.........but there are parts in the manga when dead Pokemon appear. Well at least in Pokemon Special/Aventures.

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
    Years
    Yes, for example in Diamond and Pearl Adventures, the names are Hareta, Mitsumi and Jun. It's an side story.

IT'S NOT ANY "SIDE STORY"!

It's a completely unrelated series by different author!

When will you guys understand that POKEMON SPECIAL IS NOT THE "MAIN" POKEMON MANGA?!

There are many series, some are pretty unknown (many of them were never released outside Japan) but all are equally canonical!

Back