• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The manga vs anime storyline

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    There not comparable, there both really good.

Thundєr

Freelancer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2013
    And well, that's the point it's different from other part of the franchise, it's more mature.

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2010
    Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Ash get turned into stone at the end of the first Pokemon movie. I know it is a kid show, but I believe even they are not limited to showing stuff like that if the show is rated PG that is, but he did not die though.

I have read Pokemon Special and Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Adventures they are both seperate story and written by different authors I think that both of them are good, but I have to read other mangas too to really judge which one I like the best. I also have to finish reading Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Adventures also before I judge it.

Last edited:

pong08

Black & White... don't fail me
    Years
    Haha yeah he was turned to stone. But he was revived by the tears of the Pokemon, which is an obvious kid thing. Just like in the Spongebob movie.

ROFL, yeah.... let me point out. That was a movie. NOT AN EPISODE, but a film, and when you compare the movies to the episodes, movies are more intense because usually films are suppoesed to be grand and "epic".
    Now, if that happened in a episode, it might be a different story.

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2010
    Haha yeah he was turned to stone. But he was revived by the tears of the Pokemon, which is an obvious kid thing. Just like in the Spongebob movie.
    Yes I do remember something like that happen in the Spongebob movie as well.

ROFL, yeah.... let me point out. That was a movie. NOT AN EPISODE, but a film, and when you compare the movies to the episodes, movies are more intense because usually films are suppoesed to be grand and "epic".
    Now, if that happened in a episode, it might be a different story.
    Yes this is so true about the movies being more epic than the episodes.

Last edited:

Lash

Years
    Manga, hands down.

I like the Anime and all, but I think the storyline in the Manga is much better. The Manga has a far better buildup, and of course more action. The battles are more... descriptive? I don't know how to explain it, but a Manga battle is a good battle. The Manga doesn't have explosions when Razor Leaf and Thunderbolt collide.

joehat

Yay
    Years
    I completely agree with you Lash. I like the manga because like you said, more action, plus it actually has character development and plot twists.

Ah and pong08, don't forget that Ash actually did die once in the anime.

I really wish the creators had something better in mind when they had the Pokemon revive Ash with their tears. I mean I know it was for kids and all but..gah. But Pokemon obviously have crazy supernatural powers (not like that's not obvious enough haha) plus tear revival and the ghosts reviving Ash when he was killed at Pokemon Tower.

Mileyangel

Inuyasha Fan
    Years
    I really wish the creators had something better in mind when they had the Pokemon revive Ash with their tears. I mean I know it was for kids and all but..gah. But Pokemon obviously have crazy supernatural powers (not like that's not obvious enough haha) plus tear revival and the ghosts reviving Ash when he was killed at Pokemon Tower.

Yeah. Unfortunately, that didn't happen for our 5 Dex holders.

_cynthia_

the thirsty devil
    Years
    of course the manga is better than the anime.
    all characters in the manga have really strong pokemon but ash and co.'s pokemon are SO weak.
    dawn and platina both have a piplup decades ago but dawn's still haven't evolve!!
    and dawn has a buneary while platina has a lopunny...
    AND the anime is so BORING~
    every episode waste time on team rocket stealing pokemon, found by ash and co,beaten by ash and co, send flying or something like that...

Torosiken

The angst is in the bloodline
    Years
    I like manga better..
    ANIME SUCKS >.<

ASH STUPID!!! AND every episode have a same plot with team rocket >.<
    I am bored that team rocket always.. appear in all region?!! >.<

Ash sooo stupid!! >.< He even not get smarter after beat a league?!! >.<
    The pikachu always lose!! But the pikachu already go with him to some regions!!! DOesn't it in High-Level?!!!!!

Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2023
    I've never been a huge fan of the animé, but when I was younger of course I found it appealing. I mean, what child wouldn't? xD
    Although I've only read the RBGY and some of the GSC arc of the manga, I have found that the storyline is far superior to that of the animé. It's really far from repetitive, whereas the animé is basically the same thing every few episodes.

I'm not saying the animé is just outright bad, since I've been told it really picked up in the DP series, which I haven't watched, but I much prefer the storyline of the manga.

Mileyangel

Inuyasha Fan
    Years
    I've never been a huge fan of the animé, but when I was younger of course I found it appealing. I mean, what child wouldn't? xD
    Although I've only read the RBGY and some of the GSC arc of the manga, I have found that the storyline is far superior to that of the animé. It's really far from repetitive, whereas the animé is basically the same thing every few episodes.

I'm not saying the animé is just outright bad, since I've been told it really picked up in the DP series, which I haven't watched, but I much prefer the storyline of the manga.

There is not a WORD of that that I don't agree with. Like what _cynthia_ said, the plot is ALWAYS that Ash and co. meet the character of the day, Team Rocket comes up with some half-a*sed plan, they try to catch Pikachu, who in turn sends them "blasting off again!!"

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    of course the manga is better than the anime.
    all characters in the manga have really strong pokemon but ash and co.'s pokemon are SO weak.
    Pikachu, Gliscor, Charizard, Sceptile, Pidgeot, Heracross, Buizel, Blaziken, Venasaur, Beautifly, Glaceon, Steelix, Gyardos, Swellow, Lapras, Grotle, Donphan, Snorlax, Kingler, Tauros, Croagunk, Crobat, Ambipom, Mamoswine, Starmie, Corsola.
    dawn and platina both have a piplup decades ago but dawn's still haven't evolve!!
    Hikari said that she didn't want to evolve Pocha in an episode IIRC.
    every episode waste time on team rocket stealing pokemon, found by ash and co,beaten by ash and co, send flying or something like that...
    It doesn't happen every episode.

Mileyangel said:
    There is not a WORD of that that I don't agree with. Like what _cynthia_ said, the plot is ALWAYS that Ash and co. meet the character of the day, Team Rocket comes up with some half-a*sed plan, they try to catch Pikachu, who in turn sends them "blasting off again!!"
    They haven't met a CoTD for a few episodes now.

Yeloow Caballero said:
    DOesn't it in High-Level?!!!!!
    The animé doesn't use levels.

Mika555 said:
    Yes this is so true about the movies being more epic than the episodes.
    I actually thought that The Charge of Team Galactic episodes were better than some movies.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    *sigh* You're obviously an anime fan, aren't you? That's not a bad thing. but why does Ash ditch all of those decent Pokemon he spends so much time with at the end of nearly every season? To start over?

He ditches them because he tries not to use the same ones over and over, besides Pikachu, to catch more and train them. Like he did with some pokémon I listed above.

My avatar shows that I'm a Pokémon animé fan.

Ru-Kun

bleh...
    Years
    He ditches them because he tries not to use the same ones over and over, besides Pikachu, to catch more and train them. Like he did with some pokémon I listed above.

My avatar shows that I'm a Pokémon animé fan.

Okay but when he ditches them why does he get all these weak Pokemon then not train them?

Back