• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official Misty (Bring Her Back) Club !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    I can't say that I like Misty's sisters. They all have the valley girl persona which is incredibly unappealing. Thank goodness Misty is quite the opposite of them.

And in that image, I know the girl on the right is Jasmine. Is the girl on the left the one named Marina from the episode where they thought Psyduck was going to evolve into Golduck?

~Ozy~

PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic
    Years
    Most totally agreed, my dear Kaga.

Melody, from P2k. A rather decent character in my mind, even if she did delight in taking jibes at Misty.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    Unknown Man said:
    Response to Chairman Kaga's Last Post:I hope that May was NOT a marketing tool. The audacity of advertisement and the writers to let Misty go like that. RS would have sold well without making Misty leave. But then again, without her departure, we would not have realized how much we love Misty. As the saying goes, " You don't know what you have until you've lost it"...I think that's how it goes.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone...(they paved paradise and put up a parking lot)

Anyway, I could go rather deeply into why May exists solely as a marketing tool, but I'll sum it up briefly. Most apparent is her interest in pokemon contests instead of pokemon battling, which was a feature introduced with RS and used to sell RS. May would give this feature a great deal of exposure. Also, just look at her--she's the RS rival if you play as a male character and stock footage of her was everywhere before RS came out. People watching the anime would immediately associate her with RS rival despite the fact that they're technically not the same person. Max's existance is solely to give May someone to interact with, which was a failed attempt to mask a level of blandness in her character which would only be possible if she was thrown in as a commercial device and not a thought-out character meant to better the show.

And that's it in a nutshell.

~Ozy~

Years
    Of course, arguably, the show itself was naught more than a marketing device, albeit a shockingly effective one. This became particularly apparent during the Johto arc, with the endless Character/Pokemon/Dilema of the day episodes (I mean, an entite effing season to get from Goldenrod to ecruteak?). And as these marketing tools went on, character blandness was more and more apparent.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    True, very true, TAD. The entire show has always been a marketing device; the fact that they go to the areas where each progressive game series takes place proves that (exception being OI.) Though, never has one character been more of a blatant marketing device than May.

~Ozy~

Years
    Hence, why I adored Orange Islands. Although the first season didn't have much of a choice in terms of setting.

True enough, she IS the most blatant marketing tool I've yet to see, though in a way other than what you mentioned. The Ru/Sa advertising aside, much of her appearance speaks of an attempt to hold on to aging fans of the show who are looking for a little more... How to put this... Physical OOMPH than Misty delivered. Personality aside, by the standards of your average anime fan, May is little more than average, but far more attractive (by said standards, not in my opinion) than was Misty. So, in one fell swoop, the writers let fans of the show know about Ru/Sa's new features and added a... erm... larger set of features to the show.

Misty Lover17

Shining Angel
    Years
    I don?t mean to bash her, but here are the reasons she is an advertising character????

:She is the main heroine in Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald[R/S/E]

:She competes in Pokemon contests, a new feature in Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald[R/S/E]

:She has two Pokemon from the first generation, which you can revisit in Fire Red and Leaf Green[FR/LG]

:She has a future Pokemon from Diamond and Pearl, which of course is the fourth generation[D/P]

And a reason for fun???.

:They brought her in for the show for the male audience, because the only thing a guy notices in a girl is her breasts :\ [ though technically, she doesn?t have big breasts. In some episodes, she has small breasts. It all depends on which team is animating the episode, as Cybercubed of Serebii, IGN, and Toon Zone has said. For comparisons sake, here are two pics.]

Edit:Second pic added.

Last edited:

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    TAD said:
    he Ru/Sa advertising aside, much of her appearance speaks of an attempt to hold on to aging fans of the show who are looking for a little more... How to put this... Physical OOMPH than Misty delivered.

Misty Lover17 said:
    They brought her in for the show for the male audience, because the only thing a guy notices in a girl is her breasts :/

How sadly true; congratulations to the both of you for knowing the one thing the writers don't want you to: not only is May an ad for RS, she's fanservice. And speaking of which, I'm not sure many people care to remember this, but...

MAY IS TEN YEARS OLD.

The anime has made millions of people unknowing pedophiles. And, even though this isn't directly related to the last statement, they're conditioning little boys to like women based on physicality instead of personality, which is reprehensible.

~Ozy~

Years
    Aye, aye, alas and alack. Though I didn't expect much else, given today's society. 25 years of the women's movement, a hundered and fifty or so of movements for sufferage and equal rights, and what do we have? A male gender that is still dominant in many ways, simply smarter about that domination.

I mean, look to the (male-dominated) advertising industry, or one. I'm sure it won't take you long to figure out why this encourages sexual opression in females, even down to the elementary/middle school level. Some of the shirts my (sixth grade) sister wears make me sick! Or television, where the more interesting of the female characters (who are, more often than not, prudish), either a) Are replaced with a ****tier character, or b) are just removed without a trace. Even today's militar encourages this, as seen by the rape scandal at the AFA. Living in Colorado, I've heard a crapload about this, and frankly, it makes me sick that a power structure as respected as the USAF would cover up the reprehensible behavior (caused by the advertising industry mentioned above) of its male students when female ones made a sound decision regarding sexual activity. So too, did the CU rape scandal sicken me in the same way. Young children regard those football players as HEROES!?!?!?!? For the sake of the world, I hope that changes, and fast. So too, as the advertising, television, and movie industries continue to sexualize females as a whole, young girls, children my sister's age who should have no reason to know what sex is, much less some of the more intimate details of the act will continue to be objectified by a society still dominated by men and think that this is right. Instead of being mature about it, there will be MORE children deciding that the eigth grade (or earlier) is the right time and place to have sex. It is so pervasive that my girlfriend, who was raped, thought that I needed sex to stay interested in our relationship. She was more than willing to give in and do so for some sense of a stable relationship. I adore her, and that thought that I needed this sickened me. No, my friends, May is merely symptomatic of a far larger problem in today's (male-dominated, I stress again) society. She is telling young girls that this is how they need to be to get guys, and young boys that a girl should act solely to please men.

Last edited:

Sunflorazumarill

Look, it's Sunflorazumarill!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2012
    Here! I have another pic to show you! It's not of Misty herself, but of her sisters! Well anyway, it might be a little risque, but I'll post it anyway. Here's Misty's sisters:

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    Flowers plastered to their crotches...that's something I haven't seen before o_o;

Excellent post TAD, you feel very strongly about the subject and I share the feelings you expressed...May is just a symptom of a larger problem in society where rampant sexuality plays a factor in everything, so much that it can worm its way into a formerly-innocent cartoon. I cannot improve on what you said, but it was a truly great post. Amen.

Welcome back, ottermi. Thanks for your addition to our pic collection!

~Ozy~

Years
    ^OH OH PLEASE! Isn't that a bit much?
    No, no it's not. It's an entirely serious matter to me. I don't want to see my sister, or her friends, or any twelve-****ing-year-old for that matter know what oral sex is, or to dress like a hooker, or to lose their virginity, and willingly. I've seen it happen, and it's not a pleasent prospect. This is no laughing matter. Misty too, much as I love her (in the context of the show) did help perpetuate that stereotype, and that sexualization and objectification of women through her mode of dress. Put quite simply, male dominance in our society today is as strong as it ever was, it has simply grown (somewhat) more subtle. It takesd now a sick and twisted path in which women are no longer the posessions of one man, through marriage, and care for him and his intrests, but now to a place in which women are no more than communal toys for the general male populace. It is unintentional on the part of movies, advertising, and TV, at least somewhat, bvut the message is still there, strong and sick. Today's society is one in which we see 13-year-old whores, in which the more guys a girl sleeps with, the more attractive she is, in which men are still the dominant gender. The only thing that has changed about how dominant men are is the means by which this dominance is asserted.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Chairman Kaga said:
    How sadly true; congratulations to the both of you for knowing the one thing the writers don't want you to: not only is May an ad for RS, she's fanservice. And speaking of which, I'm not sure many people care to remember this, but...

MAY IS TEN YEARS OLD.

The anime has made millions of people unknowing pedophiles. And, even though this isn't directly related to the last statement, they're conditioning little boys to like women based on physicality instead of personality, which is reprehensible.
    I brought up that issue (or a least one aspect of it) in the May fanclub earlier, but it was quickly dismissed.

Regarding those pics of May, what really gets me is the variable size of May's breasts; in one, she's flat-chested, but in the other, she's got double-D's! I'm obviously exaggerating, but you get the point. I know that different teams do the animation, but still. One of those teams is more...focused on certain...parts than the others; all part of the marketing, I guess. *sigh*

Sunflorazumarill

Look, it's Sunflorazumarill!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2012
    Can you please stop arguing about Misty and May abd please compliemnt me on my pic of Misty's sisters?

~Ozy~

Years
    By a very small amount, I must say, though.

It's a good pic, I'll admit, but this is a more than pertinent issue to me, not bnecause of the characters, but because of the ideas and social structures they represent. Still, though, nice pic, I like it.

mistywishmaker

such a thing as f o r e v e r
    Years
    Sunflorazumarill, I love the picture! :) Though her sisters took her away o.o

I don't want to argue about Misty and May either, but I agree with previous posts: she IS only ten years old, and is given a better figure than a 12/13/14 (or whatever age Misty is)? Sounds like an idea to attract more fans to me :P

TheAlliedAxis

Pokemon fan forever!
    Years
    What a Society!

I must say, after reading some previous posts, I disagree. Whether May is a marketing tool or not, we cannot say for sure that she is a commercial with size-shifting breasts. Keep in mind, Misty HAD to leave because the voice lender left. If Ash were to go it alone, things would get BORING! He needed a female companion. If he had gone alone, things would dull down and if Brock and Max had joined Ash and only them, people would make a big deal like they did with the Batman and Robin comics. Catwoman was put in there for a reason. But I digress, the series does not concentrate on May's breasts but males do. This is why we noticed her asset (Yes, I am male...but you weren't supposed to know that. Hence the name. But then again, I shoulda just kept it at Unknown). It is nature and evolution. Male's will always notice the sexual features of a female. That's the first thing guys notice on a girl.

Response to Adamant Dodger's Posts: It's a fact that kids are having sex at a younger and younger age. Personally, while this is troubling, hiding this fact would not be a way to approach the problem. If I ever had a daughter (I will NEVER have kids, by the way, but if I did), I would not hide what can happen between a male and a female. I would inform her on how things are, the risks one shall encounter. I will tell her that men will always look at her figure before anything else. I will inform so she can see what is right and wrong instead of hiding the facts. I would rather tell her how things are, what is right and wrong, and what will happen with the different choices that may present themselves to her instead of putting it all behind one big Iron Curtain and letting some horny guy tell her what is right and wrong.

And one more thing: Whether May be 10 or 13, girls develop sexually around this age. It would make sense to see some growth of her chest. And about Misty, just because she is taller does not mean that she is older. Many say she is solely based on the fact that she is taller than Ash. It's a known fact that girls will develop much earlier than boys. Girls will get a headstart in the race of stature. Eventually, though, boys will catch up.

And another thing, May is not a bland character as some of you have characterized her. We cannot say for sure what future the relationship between her and her friends might hold. Remember, she is still here and what might become of her is unknown. She might fall for Ash or Drew (signs point to Ash). We cannot say she is an empty shell of a character 'cause she is still there. Who knows what might happen in the future. She might just leave and THEN she will truely be a billboard or she might add a whole new twist to the series. Keep in mind, Misty was becoming somewhat of a shell herself as the series progressed until she left and then *poof* we are here discussing politics and troubling social issues. It went from a children's show to somewhat of a soap opera. How old are we? 15? 16? 17? 18? Note, we are watching this children's show. How can we say May is bland. Misty was becoming somewhat bland herself until she left. That was when the Misty fans were born. And by the way, May has locked us up into heated debate.:P

Final Words: We cannot say May is a billboard. She MIGHT be a billboard but she is also a character in the series. She has an influence on not only the other characters but us as well. She has made us question her ability to cover the holes left behind by the departure of Misty. She is a symbol of the uncertainty of the future and what it might hold. How can we say she is an empty walking shell?
    One thing is for certain, though... I will be watching to see what will happen next.:D

NOW I am done.:cool:

Hey SunflorAzumarill:: I apologize for seeming like we are ignoring you but you must keep trying. One day, your voice will be heard! See! It's already working!

Last edited:

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    Of course Ash needs a female companion to give the show a bit of a woman's touch, so to speak, but the most disappointing thing about May is that they sacrificed character development for just plain development =/ She's not a good role model for women, as she perpetuates the stereotype of the brainless, submissive girly-girl, which is a type of woman that I've rarely if ever encountered but is still crammed down the throats of girls in hopes that they will be more attuned to buying products produced for such girls. I don't think that people would find anything odd if Ash only went with Brock and Max. The only reason people ever said anything about Batman and Robin is because a) the people that originally made those accusations are morons, and b) the 1960s batman series was very campy, and showed an over-idealized friendship between the two. Catwoman? If memory serves me, all catwomen before that filthy dominatrix version done by Halle Berry were very modest and were in there simply as a complicated love interest for Bruce Wayne (what is more intriguing than lovers who are also enemies by night?) Just because sexual attraction is human nature doesn't mean we allow it to rule our lives and corrupt it. Intercourse is a sacred act and a symbol of pure love despite what the world wants you to believe--it is meant as an expression of love, not as a way to defy society or as a momentary act of pure pleasure. Nowadays society says it's shameful to be a virgin (I'm one and frickin' proud) and pressures people who aren't even teenagers to be loose, because supposedly it makes you a real man/woman to whore yourself out. Physicality may be the first thing you notice on someone, but for me it's the last. I am the exception to a society that has become animalistic in the way it treats sex--it's the last thing on my mind (as I value friendship, love, and respect women), but most people can't help but constantly give in to a primal desire that is rather easy to suppress, in my opinion.

Good parenting doesn't mean just giving your kid the talk and walking away, it means telling them WHY NOT to do something. If you were to tell your daughter what sex is, she'll just be more informed on it, and she'll likely decide on her own to whore herself out. Unless you're a free spirit type who believes in completely letting go of the reins on your children (aka "I'm too lazy to raise them"), it's incredibly important to tell teenagers the dangers, and even more so, let them in on what the media and their so-called friends who are going to encourage them to be ****s want them to believe, and why those things are a lie. I'm only seventeen, not a parent and likely will never be one (alas...antisocial tendencies and mountain dew), but I was raised to be able to see past the lies of popular culture. I'm living proof that an agressive anti-whoring strategy can work when raising a child, I've been told things that parents are too lazy/scared to tell their children. If you love your child at all, you'll be horrified when you think of them trying to emulate Paris Hilton, nay, virtually anyone in popular culture. It's a matter of life-altering consequences, and I'm not just talking children. Rampant sex begets only more rampant sex which quickly corrupts someone with no turning back. Children are precious, not pets that you let roam outside (and if a stray dog knocks 'em up, so be it! As pet owners think)

Development or not, you can't change the fact that May is ten. Doesn't that mean anything to you?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back