• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

THE OFFICIAL NUZLOCKE CHALLENGE THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Hmm, update number 2! Again, the video can be found by following the link in my signature, but the brief rundown is as follows:

Caught a Caterpie in Viridian Forest. Named it Vallint.
    Got to Pewter
    Grinded Caterpie to Butterfree.
    Beat up Green.

Current Team:
    Vallint Lvl 10
    Verto Lvl 10
    Violata Lvl 10

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I already started my game yesterday, but I've been griniding alot. O_o
    Spoiler:

Team:
    Spoiler:

R.I.P:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    Went through Ilex Forest and beat Whitney (I hate her Miltank's Attract and Milk Drink it took me ages but I defeated her with critical hits).

My Team:
    Spoiler:

In Box:
    Spoiler:

In Memorial:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2011
    As you can see none of these have a complete advantage over gengar, I think I just used crunch. Jordan died in the Karen fight, but it was because I was stupid and used Hydro Cannon when Surf would have killed Houndoom. Vance died as well but he completely tore apart Lance for Leona to destroy. Also, I HIGHLY RECCOMEND A XATU.
    Use Lucky Chant at the beginning of the battle to avoid crits, then Psychic, if your fighting Koga or Bruno, or U-turn if your not.

Yeah, I was just planning to use Feraligatr's Crunch on it too. Thing is, I just got destroyed by the Kimono Girls - they killed my Feraligatr, my Slowbro, my Jolteon, and my Swinub, which were the four Pokemon I had actually been training. I've spent a good 22 hours on this game so I really don't want to restart. Let's see: what else learns a good Dark-type move that won't get completely raped by Focus Blast?

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Yeah, I was just planning to use Feraligatr's Crunch on it too. Thing is, I just got destroyed by the Kimono Girls - they killed my Feraligatr, my Slowbro, my Jolteon, and my Swinub, which were the four Pokemon I had actually been training. I've spent a good 22 hours on this game so I really don't want to restart. Let's see: what else learns a good Dark-type move that won't get completely raped by Focus Blast?

Honchkrow's a good bet if you can get hold of one... It's a bit risky hoping to catch a certain Pokemon on Nuzlocke though, after all you can only catch the first one in each area so if you don't get your Murkrow in Ilex Forest, you're screwed...

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Whats to stop you from saving and keep on re-trying? Or, is that against the rules?

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Whats to stop you from saving and keep on re-trying? Or, is that against the rules?

Er... yes. If you were allowed to do that, then no-one would ever lose any Pokemon. That's the entire point of this challenge - it's meant to be a risk, from start to finish.

Helvetica

Forgot Helvetica was a font
    Years
    The Nuzlocke challenge is one of the funnest, emotional, and most rewarding ways to play a Pokemon game.

Here are the all-important RULES:

1. If a Pokemon Faints, its dead, release it.
    2. No Healing Outside of battle
    3. You can only catch/recieve one Pokemon in each Area. A town is one area, a route is one area, a cave is one area, etc. If you fail to catch a Pokemon for any reason (other than game corruption) than too bad.
    4. You must nickname all of your Pokemon
    5. No catching legendaries. (Its funner if you act like Nuzlocke and kill all the legendaries).
    6. Trading sort of ruins the purpose. Egg trading is okay, same thing with Pokemon that can't have eggs.
    7. Change the battle style to SET.
    8. Make Comics whenever something amazing happens.
    Have Fun and take on the Nuzlocke Challenge!

OK. There is some misconception here. There aren't that many rules that are part of a basic challenge. The only rules that are integral to the challenge here would be 1, 3 and 4. Thing is all other rules are to add challenge. For instance most people ban trades but a handful have used trades in their teams. And as for 8? Many can't draw, so they use other mathods to say their stories. 7 is used by quite a few but others don't at all. And for rule 2, many heal both outside and inside battle, but others restrict either or both.

It is a problem to the challenge that there are only a handful of "fixed" rules. And the fact that this argument here is a bit of a rant doesn't help either. It's just I looked at it and thought "Woah, too many rules are written here." Hence this post. I apologise for any insult.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
    I've decided I'll present my Red challenge with screenshots, just for a change.

1st Update

Spoiler:

Team

Spoiler:

Dead

Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Aug 29, 2017
    I'm going to do this challenge on Emerald as WELL as the gold one, I'll just be updating the Gold one less often.
    Also, AceDragonite, if you're reading this and adding me to the Participants for Emerald, as you're doing it could you correct my name's spelling on the Gold one?

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017

I restarted on Heart gold after half my team got raped. I actually made it through the Kimono's with no Casualties. I think I just used the power of type advantage. Anyway you can get a Murkrow from the Pokewalker or just trade one over, because both of those are legal and get a dusk stone from PBR. (lol loopholes)

OK. There is some misconception here. There aren't that many rules that are part of a basic challenge. The only rules that are integral to the challenge here would be 1, 3 and 4. Thing is all other rules are to add challenge. For instance most people ban trades but a handful have used trades in their teams. And as for 8? Many can't draw, so they use other mathods to say their stories. 7 is used by quite a few but others don't at all. And for rule 2, many heal both outside and inside battle, but others restrict either or both.

It is a problem to the challenge that there are only a handful of "fixed" rules. And the fact that this argument here is a bit of a rant doesn't help either. It's just I looked at it and thought "Woah, too many rules are written here." Hence this post. I apologise for any insult.

You must have no brain if you think the sacred rules of Nuzlocke are tl;dr
    and you only have 1 post...

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    You must have no brain if you think the sacred rules of Nuzlocke are tl;dr
    and you only have 1 post...

He does have a point, the only "true" rules of Nuzlocke are:

1. If a Pokemon faints, release it, and
    2. You can only catch one Pokemon in each area; if you fail/kill it, you've lost your chance.

Any other rules are additional. Helvetica didn't necessarily need to rant about it given that everyone's getting by just fine with your current rule set, but still. He had a point.

Also, is there any chance we'll get user bars for this challenge? I'm not far from completing mine and it'd be nice to stick a bar in my signature.

Kazbat028

The Only Guy With a Girlfriend
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    I'm starting my nuzlocke challenge. I'm going to do it with Pearl. Here. We. GO.

Years
    Weird, when I said pretty much the same thing (just in a less direct way, since I was just answering a question) maybe 3 or 4 pages ago, there was nothing like "you must have no brain, etc". Because I have 1000-something posts and not just one? Does that really change the fact that I'm a complete moron who can't even speak proper English? Probably not.
    Seriously, a low postcount no reason to try to pick on someone. Completely stupid statements (produced by both imcompetent users and incompetent trolls) are, but I don't see any in Helvetica's post. So what's your problem, AceDragonite?
    Because, the thing is, Nuzlocke DOES only have those two basic rules, and the nickname one that kinda established itself because the Pokemon having some kind of personality is a major part of the whole thing. How else would this have become so popular?
    Also, this whole discussion is a pretty ironic thing overall. Afterall, the title says "The OFFICIAL Nuzlocke Challenge Thread". And contains 8 of the 2 official rules. Kinda reminds me of Gary's 10 of 8 Kanto badges

Tl;dr: I wrote wall of text with probably just as many typos as words when one sentence could have done the same thing. Also, no update for today again. I'm still too frustrated from my attempt to use the game corner to get free stuff.

Kazbat028

The Only Guy With a Girlfriend
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    Guys, relax. It's up to the challengee how challenging they want to make their game. It's not anyone else's place to say, "well, mine's more challenging, you suck," because then we all sound like football players who stand around in changerooms looking at each other's junk and trying to figure out who's biggest. It doesn't matter, actually, who's doing a more challenging game. Be nice.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    I actually based my rules off Ravesage's rules to make it challenging, as well as fair. The challenger can change whatever the hell they want, its not bad or anything, the rules were just to set a guidline.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Aug 29, 2017
    Aids' Hoenn Nuzlocke challenge
    Spoiler:

Helvetica

Forgot Helvetica was a font
    Years
    I'm sorry, Ace. It was just I read no mention of it being a guideline. Hence the post's existence. And also, I only post in trivia, which would explain the low post count. Also, I'm doing a fire red, if you're interested.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
    I actually based my rules off Ravesage's rules to make it challenging, as well as fair. The challenger can change whatever the hell they want, its not bad or anything, the rules were just to set a guidline.
    Dude, just edit the rules and state that some of them are optional. And don't be a dick about it.

The nicknaming Pokemon aspect is not a required rule, it just makes it more fun.

The comic thing is not a required rule. People who think it is might be put off and decide not to take the challenge since they can't draw, or don't have MS paint. And to be quite honest, those Nuzlocke comics (from the website you posted) aren't funny.

Will update my Red challenge tomorrow.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back