• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official Shiny Thread

Alamos

Team Plasma Leader
Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2010
    First shiny i encountered was a magnemite in firered. I caught it, even though i didnt know what shiny's were. Soon after that my brother deleted my save file since he was very young.

Second shiny was Geodude in pokemon silver, it was the beggining of the game so i didn't have money to get pokeballs.

I think thats it other than that i have over 100+ legit shinys.

Years
  • First shiny i encountered was a magnemite in firered. I caught it, even though i didnt know what shiny's were. Soon after that my brother deleted my save file since he was very young.

Second shiny was Geodude in pokemon silver, it was the beggining of the game so i didn't have money to get pokeballs.

I think thats it other than that i have over 100+ legit shinys.

over 100+ legit shinys in one game?

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2012
    You just have to be at the right place at the right time - unless you use RNG abuse of course.

Just keep battling wild Pokemon and eventually you'll encounter more shinys :)

yaaa... about hat i have over 450 hours on diamond!!! and i play every game alot!

Sho7gun

IV Inquisitor
    Years
  • I caught a shiny Starly this week taking my count to 9 :)

Starly, Raichu, Dustox, Spinda, Bibarel,Altaria, Pupitar, Geodude & Ponyta.

6 out of these were found using the Radar, other 3 were random encounter.

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2014
    I got a shiny Dratini (up for trade), Shiny Qwilfish (Same) and a Shiny Eevee (Same).

Oh, and when i first started Pokemon Emerald (first game), my Torchic was shiny.
    Still here on my SS card,

Last edited:

nguyende

Student
    Years
  • I've encountered a few shinies, but each have been in past generation games. I've yet to encounter any in the 4th generation games (asides from the Red Gyarados in PKMN HG/SS).

The only shinies I've encountered in the wild are Cleffa & Krabby, in Pokémon Crystal, and Poochyena & Rayquaza, in Pokémon Emerald.

I've tried my hand at chain'ing, a few times, but have yet to succeed... eheh...

... whats your favorite shiny?
    I have to say, I've always thought that Umbreon in their alternate colours are beautiful :)

so tell me. if i get any pokemon and another pokemon from the same egg group but from another country, i could get a shiny???
    The Matsuda method only increases your chances of hatching a shiny, and does not garentee it.

Currently, I am replaying through Pokémon Platinum, and I am saved in front of Giritina. I've been wondering something, so if someone could answer the following question, it'd be much appreciated.

Hypothetically, if I were to repeatedly soft-reset until Giritina appeared in it's alternate colours, and then defeated/ran away from it... After defeating the Elite Four and returning to interact with Giritina again, will it still be shiny?

Additional Information:
    I do realize that, in the scenerio that one were to encounter a shiny legendary, they would more than likely use their Masterball. I probably would, too, but I am just curious as to how this specific game mechanic works.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I was in the middle of training my Articuno on Victory Road and I encountered a Shiny Onix:

The Official Shiny Thread

Level 44 Female and I caught it with just 1 Ultra ball :)

That's the 3rd Shiny I've caught in Pearl

Ginji

Shiny Hunter
    Years
  • I've encountered a few shinies, but each have been in past generation games. I've yet to encounter any in the 4th generation games (asides from the Red Gyarados in PKMN HG/SS).

The only shinies I've encountered in the wild are Krabby, in Pokémon Crystal, and Poochyena & Rayquaza, in Pokémon Emerald.

I've tried my hand at chain'ing, a few times, but have yet to succeed... eheh...

Currently, I am replaying through Pokémon Platinum, and I am saved in front of Giritina. I've been wondering something, so if someone could answer the following question, it'd be much appreciated.

Hypothetically, if I were to repeatedly soft-reset until Giritina appeared in it's alternate colours, and then defeated/ran away from it... After defeating the Elite Four and returning to interact with Giritina again, will it still be shiny?
    to answer your question, nope

Amai

やった! 私はあまい
    Years
  • Hatched a Shiny Wurmple through RNG.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
  • Caught a shiny LV41 Peppileer on route 223 while surfing. Compeletely random enounter, and I caught it after about 6-8 Ultra Balls. It used Roost a couple of times.

My first shiny while playing D/P/Pt.

Chaos Feraligatr

Darkness Bringer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2010
    I have 3 shinies excluding red gyarados and the pikachu colored pichu:
    Shiny Tentacruel(Soul Silver random encounter)
    Shiny Machoke-Machamp( Random encounter in platinum in the fight area)
    Shiny Charmander( Traded my shiny primeape for it)
    :3

Nudge

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2014
    Currently doing a Nuzlocke challenge on my Diamond and came across a Shiny Ponyta above from Solaceon.
    Pretty happy with it, been looking for one for ages haha

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    I got 1st one when my when my brother's school had this festival. These girls were there saying "If you beat us in naming a pokemon, you get a free Mew!" I looked at it, thought it was too hard, and joined my brother. 2 minutes after that, the stall owner came up to me and said if I wanted a Mew. I said OK, she traded me one. Turns out it was shiny. I read the sign and it said on the bootom "1st few people to win will get a small suprise" It isn't legit though. PokeSav'ed. (Heartgold)

My second one is when I was going through some grass at Kanto (near Viridian) and I encountered a shiny caterpie. My 1st legit shiny! (Heartgold)

3rd one when I was grinding on DarkFuture, i encountered a shiny Rattata.

Back