• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The 'Pokemon Following You' Discussion Thread

Years
  • Looking forward to Haunter myself.

I wonder if there will be public opinion.
    If I was some dude on a road and saw some chump with a Wailord rolling after him, I'd sure have more to say than: "WTF?"

Jynx...

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Even though their look is intimidating and their PokéDex entries say things of this sort, it doesn't necessarily mean it'll happen. I mean if you put one end of the rope together you'll realize Pokémon like Giratina and Gengar are ghosts, and with all ghosts comes scary stories meant to scare people.

We've seen tons of trainers and anime involving Gengar and such, but they never went to eat anyone or devour their souls. All the less though, when you mention Gengar, I've got to admit it'll be pretty cool to see it following me around.

I think this feature will allow me to catch more Pokémon just so I can see their OW sprite following me around.

Yeah, I know most of these "menace" Pokemon just have stories made up for the PokeDex and for folklore, though. It would still be interesting/creepy if something like this happened if a Gengar family member or Giratina followed you around... I mean, Giratina was said to have been banished for violence to the Distortion World, so even Arceus (presumably) doesn't like it, let alone any Pokemon. (I know the banishment could've been for Pokemon world safety, not necessarily for personal dislike of Giratina's behavior)

And just like seemingly close friends IRL, Pokemon still have the potential to turn on their Trainers even if they are close to you, whether by choice or external influence. That's why you always have to watch your back! :P

Anyway, I'm just going to wait to see this awesome feature in action. It would still be interesting to have different effects for different overworld Pokemon (i.e., Giratina exhibits violent behavior, Kecleon changing color with the environment). :D
    But I realize that might be pushing things too far, since I anticipate HG/SS will have much more other content as well. Just an idea, though!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Wow they're gonna have to make a lot of OW sprites!
    Good news for DS rom hackers in the future i guess!
    I'm thinking it could weither turn out lame... Or AWSOME!
    I mean what if theres a tight sqeeze and you've gotta Get Snorlax through xD
    You know like a Gate or something??
    Anyways i'm Really rather anxious to see how this pans out because it seems a bit 'Farfetched' to me xD

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    That's one awesome feature, I'll be having a Kingdra behind me and maybe a Salamence.

Imagine Wailord behind you (O_)O

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    Even though their look is intimidating and their PokéDex entries say things of this sort, it doesn't necessarily mean it'll happen. I mean if you put one end of the rope together you'll realize Pokémon like Giratina and Gengar are ghosts, and with all ghosts comes scary stories meant to scare people.

We've seen tons of trainers and anime involving Gengar and such, but they never went to eat anyone or devour their souls. All the less though, when you mention Gengar, I've got to admit it'll be pretty cool to see it following me around.
    We haven't seen Gengar devour any souls because it's a little kids show.
    If it weren't, no doubt we'd see Umbreon jumping from shadows and killing a couple of Stantlers for dinner.

But on that note, what if I had one of the lake pixies following me? D:

"Durr, what was I doin? OH HAY THAR LIL YELLER THING Y UR EYES CLOSED LOL SQUINTY"

"you ask why i cannot feel. well. i dont know. but your jokes were never funny. you fail at joking. go jump off a cliff. here i'll jump with you. :|"

"WHAT. That's a half-level higher than me! F$^@ this s#^), I'm going home."

Although really, does Azelf do anything? I always just kind of assumed it sapped your willpower or something.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Wow they're gonna have to make a lot of OW sprites!
    Good news for DS rom hackers in the future i guess!
    I'm thinking it could weither turn out lame... Or AWSOME!
    I mean what if theres a tight sqeeze and you've gotta Get Snorlax through xD
    You know like a Gate or something??
    Anyways i'm Really rather anxious to see how this pans out because it seems a bit 'Farfetched' to me xD

My guess is that almost all the OW sprites for the Pokémon would be completed by now. However, as for the tight squeeze, my guess is that no Pokémon OW sprite will take up more than one square tile. For example, they've shown Steelix, which is a massive Pokémon, but it still fits in one tile of the game and seems to look really good. As for the other Pokémon and how it'll work, I'm not sure. With Pokémon though, I would think they'll find a way of working it all out.

You are right though, this feature can turn out to be extrememly awesome or be an epic failure for some. For me, as of now, it is all turning well enough and has still kept me on the edge of my seat. I can still picture how funny it'll be with some Pokémon following us in their OW sprite though/

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    My guess is that almost all the OW sprites for the Pokémon would be completed by now. However, as for the tight squeeze, my guess is that no Pokémon OW sprite will take up more than one square tile. For example, they've shown Steelix, which is a massive Pokémon, but it still fits in one tile of the game and seems to look really good. As for the other Pokémon and how it'll work, I'm not sure. With Pokémon though, I would think they'll find a way of working it all out.

You are right though, this feature can turn out to be extrememly awesome or be an epic failure for some. For me, as of now, it is all turning well enough and has still kept me on the edge of my seat. I can still picture how funny it'll be with some Pokémon following us in their OW sprite though/
    Oh i haven't seen the pic of Steelix yet but i'd imagine tall skinny pokemon like him and onix and what not are gonna be easier than the likes of Something huge like Wailord!!
    I mean fitting some pokemon into one tile is a bit crazy... They'd really have to ignore the pokedex comparing sizes abd just make them fit!
    I hope its good though! I'm sure there'll be some awsome looking one and some dumb looking ones O.o I can also see a lot of easter eggs coming!! Like i dunno certain pokemon and certain places and events!!

wnxvale

Lugia...Aeroblast!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2010
    i was hoping something like this was going to come back since yellow's days...how freakin cool is a typhlosion following you around gonna be???

Ashi

The cupcake theif!
    Years
  • I just read this myself, gosh I'm SO excited for this game more then ever! I'll be sure to have my mareep/ampharos following me at all times. <3

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    What about fish Pokemon? How are they suppose to follow you? o.0

I would expect some fish Pokémon to either flop around while following you or float in the air, such as a Wailord might. It'll be an interesting aspect in the game to see how this works though.

By "Any Pokémon", even a freaking Wailord? That would be awesome! XD

Yes, even a Wailord seeing as it was stated all 463 Pokémon have the ability to tag along behind or beside us. Not to mention the bonus of getting extra items, such as berries or accessories. This kind of makes up for when you do not have a Pokémon on your team with the "Pick Up" ability.

six riolu's. following me.

PWNSOME!!!

I'm pretty sure it'll only be one Pokémon at a time that follows you, but meh we can dream.

id have my black charizard walk behind me

i wonder if it would appear shiny

This is actually a good question. It is shown that the event Pikachu-Colored Pichu is shown as a shiny in its OW Sprite. However, seeing as it is an event type Pokémon I wouldn't know if it'll only be exclusive to that one Pichu and the Notch-Eared Pichu or if it'll apply to all shinies overall. We'd either have to get more news on this later or test it out ourselves when we all purchase the game. It may be probable that they may allow it, seeing as the Red Gyarados is a alternate color from its orignal counterpart and is an important aspect to the game.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2010
    I can't imagine how Snorlax will follow you when you are entering the cute small door of the pokemon center. Lol

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Well, this means it's possible to have a walk-in daycare. :D yay!

...wow. Bad brain. Ah, well.

Shem

Bored...
    Years
  • I'll have Wailord behind me at all times ^.^

this is cool though, because at least you get to pick the pokemon whose following you constantly. ( I really hope you can turn this feature off)

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I'm really glad to hear that all Pokemon will be allowed to follow the trainer. Better than how it was in D/P, when only the "cute" Pokemon could walk behind the trainer, and it was a set few Pokemon whose OW sprite was already in the game elsewhere. But with all 493 Pokemon having OW sprites for this, the "forgotten" Pokemon can be used.

So I'm definitely looking forward to having a Farfetch'd follow me.

And it will be interesting to see how those Water Pokemon will be handled. On land (as shown in the anime, afaik), they just flop around. It will be amusing to see it also happen in the games.

Also will be interesting to see how the surfing and flying sprites will be handled. So far, we can only speculate on whether the general blob-bird for Fly and the fish for Surf will still be used, or if the game will recognize which Pokemon is using the move more than it already does.

Back