• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Pyromancers: Fire-type Pokémon Club

Twilight Storm

just your average weirdo ;D
Years
  • Name:PokemonNerd65
    Pick two Fire-type Partner Pokémon: Arcanine and Ninetales
    Reason(s) for liking Fire-types: I love there great designs and the fire starters are so cute and there also very strong!
    Answer to current topic:
    Solar Surge - (Fire, 120pwr, 85% accuracy, 5pp) On turn 1, the user charges up, and boosts their special attack stat by 1 stage. On turn 2, the user fires a blazing lazer at the foe. If the sun is shining, there's is no charge time, and before the attack is used, special attack is boosted by 2 stages instead before instantly attacking.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Name:PokemonNerd65
    Pick two Fire-type Partner Pokémon: Arcanine and Ninetales
    Reason(s) for liking Fire-types: I love there great designs and the fire starters are so cute and there also very strong!
    Answer to current topic:
    Solar Surge - (Fire, 120pwr, 85% accuracy, 5pp) On turn 1, the user charges up, and boosts their special attack stat by 1 stage. On turn 2, the user fires a blazing lazer at the foe. If the sun is shining, there's is no charge time, and before the attack is used, special attack is boosted by 2 stages instead before instantly attacking.

Welcome! That is quite a powerful move you've made there. While I think that move might be a tad overpowered, I do like the idea of having a Fire-type move that has a charge time like Solarbeam except when the sun is out.

I apologize as it's been quite a while since I've posted, but things are slowing down a bit for me so I should be back to my regular activity from now on. Anyway, here's our first Pokémon of the Week in quite a while!

Spoiler:

Rapidash!

Diamond Pokédex: It gallops at nearly 150 mph. With its mane blazing ferociously, it races as if it were an arrow.

That explains why Ash was able to come back from so far behind with it.

Rapidash has always been just okay to me. This mostly has to do with it's lack of great Physical Fire-type moves. It get's Flare Blitz now of course, but it still takes recoil from that, so I'm not a huge fan of that move obviously. Even still, Rapidash gets some decent moves (including Megahorn, which is one of my favorites) and it has good speed, so it's still a fairly good Pokémon all things considered.

Rain T.

"You clods!"
    Years
  • I really like Rapidash's design. It's a unicorn, but not the generic 'pretty princess' or 'magical fairy' unicorn. It's a frickin' fire unicorn! It manages to look both elegant/beautiful and awesome at the same time.
    Battle...I've never battled using a Rapidash, to be honest. I've never really looked at how it would perform in battle. But I do use one for the Speed category of HG/SS's PokeAthlon, and it works pretty well there..

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    It's been a while since I'd last posted here, haha.

Didn't we have Rapidash as our Pokémon of the Week before, if memory serves correctly? Anyhow, I'm a fan of it, but I'm kind of disappointed as to how underrated it is, both in terms of games and anime. On either of these sides, it's rare to be seen.

Competitively, it's also underrated; not many of us often find ourselves using Rapidash. If it were to gain a mega-evolution at some point--which would allow the Pokémon to get an ability upgrade, stats raise, and so forth--I believe this would help change that.

CharBrothers

Martin Mystery
    Years
  • Name: CharBrothers
    Pick two Fire-type Partner Pokémon: Arcanine and Rapidash
    Reason(s) for liking Fire-types: I love their cool designs and they are strong!
    Answer to current topic: Rapidash runs at about 150mph and when it does an all-out gallop, it mane sparkles.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • I must apologize for my inactivity here ive been very busy lately. But anyways welcome new members!

Anyways POTW Rapidash
    Ive never really liked Rapidash that much as a pokemon to use in your party its just such a plane fire type that doesnt have many good moves other than flare blitz although i think its overall design is cool its just not one of those pokes you wanna battle with.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Name:‎ Unapologetic Sunflower
    Pick two Fire-type Partner Pokémon: Blaziken and Chandelure
    Reason(s) for liking Fire-types: Fire-types are part of the starter trio. Then there are amazing Fire-types like Blaziken, Chandelure, Magmortar and so on. So there's no reason to not join this club.
    Answer to current topic: PoTW Rapidash
    Rapidash is simple but elegant looking Pokémon. It's rather unfortunate it has a limited movepool and lackluster stats. I have a Ponyta for Pokémon Contest and it performed well!

Wicked3DS

Years
  • Name: CharBrothers
    Pick two Fire-type Partner Pokémon: Arcanine and Rapidash
    Reason(s) for liking Fire-types: I love their cool designs and they are strong!
    Answer to current topic: Rapidash runs at about 150mph and when it does an all-out gallop, it mane sparkles.

Welcome! Rapidash is a very good runner, and it looks very majestic while doing it!

Name:‎ Unapologetic Sunflower
    Pick two Fire-type Partner Pokémon: Blaziken and Chandelure
    Reason(s) for liking Fire-types: Fire-types are part of the starter trio. Then there are amazing Fire-types like Blaziken, Chandelure, Magmortar and so on. So there's no reason to not join this club.
    Answer to current topic: PoTW Rapidash
    Rapidash is simple but elegant looking Pokémon. It's rather unfortunate it has a limited movepool and lackluster stats. I have a Ponyta for Pokémon Contest and it performed well!

Welcome! You nailed it about Rapidash, it deserves much better if you ask me.

So being that this club has been around a while, I think it would be a good idea to go back to some of our basic topics a bit since we have had members come and go and perhaps some of the longtime members have had some changes in opinion over that time. So we'll start with this one:

What is/are your favorite Fire-type Pokémon and why?

Feel free to go into as much or as little detail as you like.

My favorite is and always was Charizard. I've played with it since the beginning as Charmander was the first Pokémon I picked the first time I played Pokémon Red. I still love its design, it's pretty strong, and it has gotten two great Mega Evolutions to make it even better. So yeah, after 17 years, I'm sticking with Charizard.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    What is/are your favorite Fire-type Pokémon and why?

Feel free to go into as much or as little detail as you like.

Magmortar - First of all its pre-evolution form, Magmar, is an old fan favorites. Secondly it can learn Thunderbolt, which is rare among Fire-type Pokémon. I love using it in Gen IV games for this reason. :)
    Chandelure - I love its unique typing and shiny variation. It also learns Energy Ball, a Grass-type move that doesn't require charging. Grass-type moves protects a Fire-type Pokémon well.
    Blaziken - The first ever starter that makes it up to the Uber tier, which is amazing. It is also the first ever Fire-type Pokémon/starter with the Fire/Fighting dual typing.
    Talonflame - Gale Wings Talonflame is literally insane. Brave Bird, Acrobat, Roost can be abused by this Pokémon easily.

Notable mentions to Flash Fire Typhlosion, Flame Body Volcarona, Sheer Force Darmanitan, Solid Rock and Mega Camerupt, Iron Fist Infernape, Drought Ninetales and last but not least Justified Arcanine.

Rain T.

"You clods!"
    Years
  • It will be tough to pick a single, or even a few, favorite(s). Fire type Pokemon are one of, if not my absolute, favorite type(s). Expect a long list, though I'll do my best to keep it short as possible.

Vulpix/Ninetails -- To keep this list short as possible, I'm grouping these two together. With Will-O-Wisp and Hex, these two can really do great in battle. Not to mention, their designs. Vulpix. Is. Adorable. Then it evolves into Nintails, which is elegant and beautiful. And based on a kitsune, which is possibly my favorite being of Japanese lore.

Growlithe/Arcanine -- Again, grouping these two together to keep the list short as possible. Like with Vukpix, Growlithe is just one of the cutest things. Then it evolves into the big, cool tiger-dog thing, Arcanine! I think these favorites are mostly because of design.

Typhlosion -- Nostalgic reasons for this guy. He was my first starter Pokemon in SS. Then my sister stole my game and deleted my saved file to make her own. I flipped out on her, because I loved my Typhlosion. Its design, its stats, its moves...this is just a pretty great Pokemon in general.

Charizard/Mega Charizard X -- My Kanto starter of choice when I played X version the first time, and my second favorite starter Pokemon of all time (behind Serperior). Its design is awesome, it's good in battle, and its X version Mega form is finally a Dragon type!

Infernape -- Went through Alpha Sapphire with one, and he never lost a fight. Speedy, with power in both the Attack and Special Attack department...he can turn even a 40 base damage move like Rock Smash into a dangerous move in battle. There are many Fire/Fighting starter Pokemon out there, and even though this guy wasn't the first, he'll always be my favorite of that particular typing, as well as one of my favorite Fire types.

Talonflame -- Cool design, good Abilities, great stats, awesome performance in battle...this Fire type Pokemon has it all! My Talonflame is one of my most treasured Pokemon.

Pyroar -- It's okay in battle, but the main reason is makes this list is that it's a lion. That's it. It's a lion.

Houndoom/Mega Houndoom -- I love Houndoom's design, even if it's not the strongest of the Fire types I've used in battle. It's not really weak, but there are better choices. I love it anyway, and Mega Houndoom's design really bumped this guy up onto my list of favorite Fire types.

Primal Groudon -- It's a legendary Pokemon, it's powerful, and it looks cool.

Chandelure -- I love it's design (Purple fire with the black coloring? So great!) and the fact that it can learn Energy Ball for use in battle. Energy Ball can be a life saver.

Volcarona -- Nostalgic reasons. I had one on my White version team (raised it from an Egg, which is the main reason it made it onto my team) and it performed pretty well in battle. Its design is also pretty neat.

Reshiram -- Many reasons for this one being a favorite. It's a legendary, it's Fire/Dragon (which is one of my favorite type combos), it's good in battle, and it looks awesome. Also... *cough cough* it's generally seen as N's Pokemon, and I love N *cough*

Wicked3DS

Years
  • I'm pretty sure I was going to respond and forgot, but you guys had great lists there.

Continuing on with some of the broader topics that have been covered over the length of the club...

Who is/are your favorite Fire-type user(s)?

It's hard to pick an absolute favorite, but I do have two I can pick above the rest. First, Blaine. His role in the anime was pretty fantastic with how he disguised himself as just a riddler before revealing that he was the Gym Leader. The whole thing with Mr./Dr. Fuji is also something that I've wanted answered but I've never seemed to understand completely. And of course, you can't forget his famous line before you beat him in battle: "You better have Burn Heal!"

Second, Flannery. I didn't just pick her because she's extremely good looking okay maybe, but she's an interesting character who sort of tries to disguise herself as someone who looks down at the trainer, but it turns out she's just putting on an act and realizes that she should just be herself and not try to put on a front to make herself look cooler. Honestly, that's something all of us could be reminded of at some point in our lives.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I'm pretty sure I was going to respond and forgot, but you guys had great lists there.

Continuing on with some of the broader topics that have been covered over the length of the club...

Who is/are your favorite Fire-type user(s)?

It's hard to pick an absolute favorite, but I do have two I can pick above the rest. First, Blaine. His role in the anime was pretty fantastic with how he disguised himself as just a riddler before revealing that he was the Gym Leader. The whole thing with Mr./Dr. Fuji is also something that I've wanted answered but I've never seemed to understand completely. And of course, you can't forget his famous line before you beat him in battle: "You better have Burn Heal!"

Second, Flannery. I didn't just pick her because she's extremely good looking okay maybe, but she's an interesting character who sort of tries to disguise herself as someone who looks down at the trainer, but it turns out she's just putting on an act and realizes that she should just be herself and not try to put on a front to make herself look cooler. Honestly, that's something all of us could be reminded of at some point in our lives.
    Flannery, obviously she's the hottest Fire-type Gym Leader. (Pun not intended, or prolly a bit.) Torkoal isn't really a strong offensive Pokémon, but that turtle can be deadly even if you have an Azumarill and/or Marshtomp. She sort of inherited Whitney's Attract legacy -- Even without Overheat, her Body Slam and Attract combo is deadly, at least for male Pokémon. @_@

I was actually expecting Flannery to be tough in terms of personality, like the general depictions of Japanese gals. ^_^ She's definitely a memorable character. :)

Rain T.

"You clods!"
    Years
  • Does Red count with his Charizard?

My favorite is Malva. I have a love/hate relationship with her. She's a total bitch to you every time you challenge her, and it's that personality that I hate. But Malva as a character is one of my favorites. She's a pretty good battler, and she was part of Team Flare. I seem to like the villains that end up being not really villains (N/Silver/etc.), the Team members that end up quitting their Teams to do something else (N/TR's Command Triad/Malva; even if they only 'quit' because the Team was disbanded), or just the ones that are flat out villains (Giovanni!).
    Plus she has a Talonflame. And I really like Talonflame.

Reactions: Sun

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Does Red count with his Charizard?

My favorite is Malva. I have a love/hate relationship with her. She's a total bitch to you every time you challenge her, and it's that personality that I hate. But Malva as a character is one of my favorites. She's a pretty good battler, and she was part of Team Flare. I seem to like the villains that end up being not really villains (N/Silver/etc.), the Team members that end up quitting their Teams to do something else (N/TR's Command Triad/Malva; even if they only 'quit' because the Team was disbanded), or just the ones that are flat out villains (Giovanni!).
    Plus she has a Talonflame. And I really like Talonflame.

Yeah, she's a total beedrill and when I first read her dialogue I nearly misread runt for a real vulgar word. {XD} Ahem. Well, to be fair there's a reason behind it. ;)

I was expecting her to use a Mega Houndoom or even a Mega Charizard as her ace when I first saw her leaked battle sprite! :)

EDIT: While it's obvious but I believe it's better to notify formally. I received a name change and formerly goes by Unapologetic Sunflower, now I'm a Sun! {XD}

Last edited:

Wicked3DS

Years
  • It's time we jump back into a Pokémon of the week, so here it is!

Spoiler:

Vulpix!

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum Pokédex: It controls balls of fire. As it grows, its six tails split from their tips to make more tails.

Vulpix is one of the cutest Pokémon around and it learns some great moves en route to becoming the elegant Ninetales. I really like how the Pokédex entry shows how it has some Psychic powers (for example, it can learn Extrasensory) by how it moves balls of fire. I also think it's cool how its tails split as it gets older.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Vulpix will always be one of my all-time favorites; I'm a huge fan.

I wonder if we'll ever see it gain a third evolution stage, or even a baby form? I'd like to see former more, personally, but wouldn't mind latter.

Back