• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The (Un)official Pokemon GB/C Hacking Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitsu.

♪`ichirin no hana`♫
Years
  • i support hacking them but i cant get the tools
    to work on windows 7 i gotta find a way to downgrade
    to xp but it works on the vista computer and im hacking red
    All you need is a Map and a Hex editor :)

Oh, and it'd be cool if someone would add me to the list.

Last edited:

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2016
    I'd like to supprt, just becuase I like making GSC sprites, and puting the better ones over the current ones. (Like a revamped Green Fearow, that was it's best sprite)

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2010
    Sorry for asking again, but where to learn ASM, and how to use it on the ROM?

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • I want to make a Red/Crystal mix,but i don't know how. I wanna call it Deadly Diamond edition,but what should i use to make it?
    For starting, read Giegue's Master Hacking Guide and decided which rom you want to hack (btw crystal is much easier than red). Then, get a fine hex editor and start editing ;)

Also, hex editing isn't hard when you get used to it.
    It just may seem "impossible" at first when you look at the rom with the hex editor you downloaded.

hitsu.

♪`ichirin no hana`♫
    Years
  • Also, hex editing isn't hard when you get used to it.
    Nope, it isn't. Been researching some mapping data in Red today (thanks to CBM for his R/B ROM map). I know how the map is "mapped out" in hex, and most of the tiles' hexes. Easy and fun to learn.

But it would all be easier with CBM's RedMap hehe. I encourage everyone to play around with the rom. :P

dragslayar

I'm The Pizza Fairy
    Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2011
    right guys, i need your help, im trying to make it so that you can pick between all 6 starters, i have the map sorted, i also need to know how to make all of them shinies, thanks in advance

ADIT: i also need help putting kangashkan back into its evolutionary line, and making marowak evole into it

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    HEX Workshop and Tile Layer Pro (maybe GoldMap, but HEX can do that, too) is all I need to make a hack. All that's left is to figure out how to use HEX and change music. That's not too hard.

EDIT: Yeah, using a better program now. This is fun.

EDIT2: Changed the first thing to 00. No change. ... Yeah...

Last edited:

~Red

Meh. Hate me if you will.
    Years
  • You know that feeling when you don't get something and then you finally do and you just want to go "Hurray!" and tell everyone?

I don't get that with GBA games.
    Or GBC to that extent.

Hack Red, it's better for your mental health.

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2019
    You know that feeling when you don't get something and then you finally do and you just want to go "Hurray!" and tell everyone?

I don't get that with GBA games.
    Or GBC to that extent.

Hack Red, it's better for your mental health.

I completely agree. two days ago i finally figured out the routine in oak's intro and i managed to change it... incomparable.

using all those "advance" tools to edit a game is like using a cheat to win a game..what fun is it?

P.S.: my mental health is leaving me trying to figure out all the routines and sub-routines in the "pallet town script", but the old style is still unbeatable.

~Red

Meh. Hate me if you will.
    Years
  • I completely agree. two days ago i finally figured out the routine in oak's intro and i managed to change it... incomparable.

using all those "advance" tools to edit a game is like using a cheat to win a game..what fun is it?

P.S.: my mental health is leaving me trying to figure out all the routines and sub-routines in the "pallet town script", but the old style is still unbeatable.

Hey man can you PM me where that is located in the rom? I want to modify it myself.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I'm using Hex Workshop 6. Yay for me. Anyone know how I can edit the table translation to text so it shows the text in Gold instead of ASCII? Confusing, I know.

EDIT: Okay, thanks for the ROM Map, Coolboyman!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2010
    I completely agree. two days ago i finally figured out the routine in oak's intro and i managed to change it... incomparable.

... how did you found it?

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2019
    ... how did you found it?

I went to look, with a hex editor, to the offset, published by coolboyman, where nidorino's indexnumber is stored ($616d). i noticed that byte at $616c was $3e, which is the opcode for "ld a,$n", i.e. "load a number in register a". That meant that nidorino's indexnumber was part of the routine (at first, in fact, I thought it was stored as pure data). So i went back "disassembling" the routine from the beginning, using a debugger. that's all.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Just asking, but if I were to change $616d to another byte, would that mean I'd get a different Pokémon?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back