• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The (Un)official Pokemon GB/C Hacking Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterz2010

scripting master
Years
  • Seen Aug 6, 2010
hey people this is the creator of pokemon prehistory sayin that pretty soon i will release the beta of the first 2 gyms so check it out (ps butcha i support the thread)

Thanks for the support everyone. I have a Topic (Team Alpha) in the Team forum for anyone who wants to get involved with a Gold hack. We also accept new ideas and, as members come in, may divide into groups and work on multiple hacks at once. I dont hate FR/R hacking (I have a FR hack planned), but GBC is my favorite by far.
yea and ill have my first hack out soon ill send it to you first (prehistory)

Last edited:

masterz2010

scripting master
Years
  • Seen Aug 6, 2010
i was commenting on the fact that within the post you said you had a FR hack so i said i will be coming out with one

good point coolboyman using programs may be useful but hexing has a wider spectrum of possibilities

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I've always wanted to post this, so here goes:

Believe it or not, my first Pokemon game was the Japanese Red/Green. Anyways, after we moved to America, I was pretty pissed that my US Gold version could not link up with my Japanese Red/Green versions without getting all glitchy. So I got the US Pokemon Blue. The first thing I noticed was how weird the graphics are. This was because in Japan, the "third version" of Gen I is NOT Pokemon Yellow, it was actually Pokemon Blue, which was basically Red & Green with enhancements, just like Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum. When they decided to localize the Pokemon games, rather then translating the Red & Green roms, they decided to translate the Japanese Pokemon Blue, due to it being less glitchy than Red/Green, which is why the graphics are different from Red/Green to Red/Blue.

Here's a comparison. Left is Japanese Red/Green, right is US Red/Blue & Japanese Blue.

redgreenr.png
redbluee.png

So I've always wanted to play through Red/Blue with the original graphics, and I've finally figured out how to hack it. Below is an ips patch for Pokemon Red that changes the graphics back to the way it was in Japan's Red/Green.

EDIT: The flower animation has not been changed yet, and all the Pokemon sprites have not been changed yet either.

EDIT: Oh, and I support this thread!

Last edited:

cardboardbox

Roaming Johto
Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 25, 2023
Hmm.. poit! <3 Second gen's pretty special to me. I'm old enough to have been there when first gen took off, but still there's something about second gen. The art style and music style, I guess you could call it the flavour. So I'm much, much more inclined toward second gen hacks. I know nothing about hacking, but from what I understand it takes some dedication, which is definitely a good thing, if nothing else it filters out those who aren't interested or mature enough to piece together something really special.

What I'd love to see at some point is an attempt at second gen with Fakemon (forgive me if it's already been done, I don't really check up on here too often!). I used to mess about with sprites years ago and I used to love GBC-style aesthetics.

Kudos to all you out there giving second gen hacks the quality they deserve :D

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 12, 2010
What's up, long-time Pokemon player here, and I have some experience hacking 3rd gen Pkmn games. But I happen to be new to Pokecommunity itself.

Just wanted to say, I strongly support this.
Gold was my first Pokemon game, and I've always wanted to make a hack of it.
Unfortunately my hex-editing skills are rather limited :/

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Just wanted to say, I strongly support this.
Gold was my first Pokemon game, and I've always wanted to make a hack of it.
Unfortunately my hex-editing skills are rather limited :/
There is nothing hard about hex-editing.
Doing changes that are in brown/prism are difficult to be done but other editing is usually easy. If you made a hack, you would learn how to edit trainers, wild pokemon, maps and text quickly (without editors if you wanted to) but scripting isn't as difficult as people say either.

Join the Skeetendo (the picture with link is in my description below).
You can find a lot of tutorials on how to change different things.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
Years
Undeniable proof that FireRed is overhacked and GB/C is underhacked

Progressing Hacks Forum (First 2 pages)
FireRed: 28 Hacks
Emerald: 3 Hacks
Ruby: 3 Hacks
Crystal: 0 Hacks
Gold/Silver: 0 Hacks
Red/Blue: 0 Hacks

Hacks Showcase Forum (First 3 Pages since most of page 2 was hack/map of the month/year voting crap)
FireRed: 18 Hacks
Emerald: 0 Hacks
Ruby: 3 Hacks
Crystal: 5 Hacks (all being Miksy91's hacks)
Gold/Silver: 2 Hacks (Prism and the unfinished and ill Fated Pokemon Ice, April Fools Beta does not count)
Red/Blue: 3 Hacks

Seriously, try asking Jeremy about Ice and he will act like he has no idea what you're talking about....

Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2013
im currently learnin hex editin. its easy until you get up to double digits e4 ect im lookin at skeetendo for a scriptin guide for it. can anyone help me?/bit off topic ya i kno. sign me up for supportin

EDIT: found the tbl file for silver/gold/crystal/red/blue/yellow. time to get crackin'

Last edited:

dragslayar

I'm The Pizza Fairy
Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2011
i'd like to learn how to hack pokemon silver (and i mean proper hex hacking) but i need help getting there

and a tool i think would be good is one to change moves types accuracy and power

edit: ive just stumbled accross a amazing editor, it can edit almost everything (including moves accuraccy and pp (i havnt tested it fully yet))
but i cant post the url cause i havnt done more than 15 posts, and idk how to upload files.
buti'll see what changes the editor makes to the hex and do some hard work for it (it'd be no fun if it was easy)
file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/hom.zip

Last edited:

dragslayar

I'm The Pizza Fairy
Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2011
Also i found a map editor for red and blue.

So, if you google "mattios blue map" you'll find a page at the top witch holds alot of tools for modding both gold/silver and red/blue.

Years
  • Seen Nov 14, 2010
I support this topic.
I'm starting hacking now and I want to learn it the right way.

I already know something about Hex.
------------

By the way, I have a question about editing the starters in Gen I games.
CoolBoyMan's Rom Map says it is from 3A1E3-3A1EB. Well, I found the pokemon hex there, changed to the ones I wanted, but then only the rival's pokemon change, mine remains the same.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
By the way, I have a question about editing the starters in Gen I games.
CoolBoyMan's Rom Map says it is from 3A1E3-3A1EB. Well, I found the pokemon hex there, changed to the ones I wanted, but then only the rival's pokemon change, mine remains the same.
They are different kinds of data.

The rival's starter is stored as part of his team data, with the rest of the trainers. This is what you edited.

Your starter is defined by a script in Oak's lab, which defines what Pokémon are stored in the Poké Balls on the table. This can be edited with assembly.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
A lot of those links are broken. I'll update them eventually.

Years
  • Seen Nov 14, 2010
These twillight forum links doesn't work.

They are different kinds of data.

The rival's starter is stored as part of his team data, with the rest of the trainers. This is what you edited.

Your starter is defined by a script in Oak's lab, which defines what Pokémon are stored in the Poké Balls on the table. This can be edited with assembly.

Oh... ok.
Assembly is the only way? That's really difficult, isn't it?

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2011
hmm, is there any way to edit the pokemon battle pictures for Pokemon Red currently? If not, is there a way to edit the ones from any of the other colour (or even metal) generation games? Then at least I could find the code using a hex editor and reinsert it in the appropriate slot for my Red hack.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
These twillight forum links doesn't work.
Twilight Hacking was taken down in a fit of power by its administrator. I'll replace those links sometime.
Assembly is the only way? That's really difficult, isn't it?
Not if you know assembly.
hmm, is there any way to edit the pokemon battle pictures for Pokemon Red currently? If not, is there a way to edit the ones from any of the other colour (or even metal) generation games? Then at least I could find the code using a hex editor and reinsert it in the appropriate slot for my Red hack.
Gen I and Gen II use two different compression schemes for Pokémon images and are not directly compatible.

Currently, no program exists to compress images for Pokémon Red (that I know of). With assembly, however, you can redirect the image decompression routine to not require compressed images at all—this was done in Pokémon Brown.

Two programs exist to compress images for Pokémon Gold: Agixp and "Meowth's GFX Inserter." You can compress and insert images using these programs, or like Red, can reprogram the decompression routine to not require compressed images (although you would probably run out of space in your ROM very quickly).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back