• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The US 2012 Elections Thread / American Politics Discussion

Years
  • This is the most laughable, pathetic excuse for legislation I've ever seen.

Actually, Obama wasn't born in Kenya either! Oh My God! He's actually from Saturn. Brewer wasn't even close.

The Trotsky

Wake and Bake
    Years
  • I mean, despite the fact any birther-influenced legislation is obviously dumb, it would still be unconstitutional for a state to press demands on the federal government

Years
  • Even though this is definitely an attack at Obama (who has already shown his birth certificate on numerous occasions), the law makes some sense to me, since you do have to be a natural born US citizen to run for President anyway. Plus, it'll hopefully shut up the remaining "Birthers" when they actually find out that he was born in the United States. That is, if it doesn't get struck down in federal court.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • What is the point of this? Doesn't this already happen, maybe not at the State level per-say. But somewhere, somehow, at sometime.

I'm sure there's a whole series of people that make sure the President-elect is actually American before they take office. Even earlier... the parties must already do this so they don't nominate someone who isn't eligible.

This is like legislating that you should breathe. Thanks for that, but we already do it.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I'm sorry if this is a bit elitist, but I sure as hell trust the powers that be to be able to confirm that our President, the most powerful man in the world, is born in our country, more than I trust the unfounded suspicions of hicks and dumb people.

Also, I feel like this would go against McCulloch v. Maryland and the Supremacy Clause?

It wouldn't. The State of Arizona is in no way trying to override a federal law here.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • Kinda ironic that they want to pass this after this whole obama thing right ?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • What is the point of this? Doesn't this already happen, maybe not at the State level per-say. But somewhere, somehow, at sometime.

I'm sure there's a whole series of people that make sure the President-elect is actually American before they take office. Even earlier... the parties must already do this so they don't nominate someone who isn't eligible.

This is like legislating that you should breathe. Thanks for that, but we already do it.
    This, omg.

I just don't understand this. Why would they waste money putting this through when it accomplishes NOTHING?? I mean, I guess they might be doing it to quell the stupids complaining that Obama isn't American-born but... what do they expect will change/be made better? Legally someone can't be elected into office if they weren't born in the USA so... so the check is already being done somewhere. Spending more money to check and confirm these things when it's already a given just sounds so dumb. I can't believe anyone would back this or even think it's a viable idea.

Also, how is a birth certificate not enough proof? Do they really think it's forged or something? I bet if their Republican candidate had a birth certificate but was born on a roadside somewhere or something and didn't have hospital records or anything, there would be no problem with his qualification. And how is a baptism certificate at all a legal document proving place of birth? So many questions that shouldn't ever need to be asked.

Starrodkirby86

Das Kirby
    Years
  • And what I don't get is that the candidate should already be a US-born citizen to even run for President.

All I can think for this is that this is definitely silly. Especially Trump's remark.

If it passes, it'll just be an unneeded roadblock for Arizona ballots, since, as I said before, the Constitution already provides this with Article Two...

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

Morgnarok

Years
  • Americans sure are crazy saying you have to be born here to be able to apply for this job.

I am not racisest and this is not to offend anyone but we just don't want someone who could be from afghanistan trying to become president and them being a terroist and plotting some way to kill us all or something.

That is why i believe you must be born in US to be president. Then again thou even someone in born in us could be a terrorist but it eliminates a lot of factors.

Years

• I am not racisest and this is not to offend anyone but we just don't want someone who could be from afghanistan trying to become president and them being a terroist and plotting some way to kill us all or something.

That is why i believe you must be born in US to be president. Then again thou even someone in born in us could be a terrorist but it eliminates a lot of factors.

Initially, it had more to do with a malicious hatred of the British and a paranoia that a British spy could inadvertantly be elected in and cause the United States to capitulate to Britain.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • They complain because the Government wastes money giving social services to the citizens, so what do they do? Waste money on useless laws. Sounds much more right.

Remember to breathe guys!

Meinfoo

Spelling error? Spelling win!
    Years
  • I don't think the location of where a child passes from the womb reflects what country they belong to. I don't think this bill should even exist.

Morgnarok

Years
  • It was already a law thou i thought that you must be... wait not i think the law was you must of lived in the Us for so many years in order to be president. I think what was it 20, 30 years.

Starrodkirby86

Das Kirby
    Years
  • It was already a law thou i thought that you must be... wait not i think the law was you must of lived in the Us for so many years in order to be president. I think what was it 20, 30 years.

According to Article Two...

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

Natural citizen can be disputed and interpreted differently. But the definition that has stuck to today gives the meaning that the person must have been born in the US in order to be a natural born citizen.

Morgnarok

Years
  • So, This bill there trying to pass it just backing up something that is already stated ?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    No, but it's trying to impress demands upon the federal government

No, it's not. The states have full control over who gets ballot access in their states. This is why many third party candidates don't have ballot access in all 50 states and DC. Also, we have the right to "petition the government for grievances" so pressing demands on the federal government is allowed.

Back