• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen There's something about Rotom...

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    rotom is one legendary..because it is only for game..
    it isnt very strong,but not all leggenderies are very strong..as celebi,shaymin :)

Well seeing as the legendary stats are much more enhanced than Rotom's stats [and I believe some of the formes as well] I don't think that's a reason for why Rotom would be a legendary. In addition to that, Rotom's stats are similar to a lot of the regular pokémon out there [excluding the ones that could be legendaries from their stats, such as Garchomp]. However, even if Rotom would have improved stats, I don't think it would be classified as a legendary unless it would get a better moveset. Moves such as Thunder Wave, Astonish and some other moves Rotom learns wouldn't be too good for legendary moves in my opinion. As for the Rotom formes, some of the special moves they learn are alright for a legendary, but not as special as legendary moves like Roar of Time, Spaciel Rend, and all the other special moves that legendaries have.

Last edited:
    Years
    For the people who think it isn't,you're wrong.Why would Rotom live in a TV if it wasn't?And also why is Deoxys a legendary and it has forms?Think about people.And Manaphy's Legendary & it can breed.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    For the people who think it isn't,you're wrong.Why would Rotom live in a TV if it wasn't?And also why is Deoxys a legendary and it has forms?Think about people.And Manaphy's Legendary & it can breed.

Rotom was confirmed not to be a legendary from an official website [pokemon.com]. Rotom is in a TV, but that doesn't mean it should be classified as a legendary. Spiritomb is similar to that, and it isn't classified to be a legendary. Deoxys and Rotom both have formes, yes. However, Deoxys formes and its regular form, have better stats than Rotom and its formes. Deoxys and its formes also have special legendary moves. Manaphy does breed, but I can understand why it is a legendary and Rotom isn't. When you breed Manaphy, you get a Phione and then that Phione can never evolve. Rotom eggs are just Rotoms.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    I don't consider it a legendary. Its just a special pokemon as it has good stats and which has different formes. I never considered it a legendary as I read diamond's walkthrough before playing it and read beforehand everything about it. But I have to admit it that IF I wouldn't had read the walkthrough I would have been confused whether it is a legendary or not considering its average stats and other facts about it.
    (Yeah I know that many people consider it a legendary as it is an event pokemon and has the legendary music BUT rotom isn't a legendary and its a fact!)

Matt-O

The King's Shadow
    Years

Riiiiight.... What could be more awesome and Legendary than living in a television set? BTW, in Platinum you can catch 3 Rotom's in that TV, and legendaries only ever appear once in a game.

You're right, Manaphy can breed, but you will never get another Manaphy by doing so. You get Phione, and it never evolves. And lastly, Deoxys has stats that are WAY better than Rotom's, even though the Rotom forms are useful in battle.

Ellie

Sweet Punch!
    Years
    Plus some non-legendaries do have different forms (Shellos/Gastrodon), even if they don't affect stats or anything. So having multiple forms doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
    I don't class it as legendary, even though legendary music plays when you encounter it. I thought it was legendary when I first found it, because of the music and rarity, and I was even happier when it was a SHINY, my very first SHINY since that Poochyena on Emerald. I soon learned that it wasn't, however. I still have that Rotom sitting in my PC on Platinum, and it's still SHINY.

groudonlover

Mateus readies Hellfire...
    Years
    When i have to class it at all, i usually class it as something between Legendary and Non-legendary, but its Platinum forms is definitely Legendary, at least to me(and Nintendo).

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2010
    I don't consider Rotom a Legendary either. It has a gender and it can breed. Besides Manaphy they shouldn't be able to do that.

donte2006

Rich Boy
    Years
    um is there anyway i can get the secret key for rotom's other forms now, or iam i SOL at this point?

HirakuNoShadow

Au contraire mon frère.
    Years
    Rotom to me would be "One-of-a-kind" Pokemon, since it has both features of a normal and legendary pokemon

Legendary Similarities

.It has the legendary music
    ."only one" rarity
    .Has some sort of story with it (Charon as a kid + Robot w/ Rotom)
    .A great combination of Type and Ability that only leaves it with 2 weakness
    .Different forms w/ their own signature moves
    .Has its own event

Normal Similarities
    .Can breed (only with Ditto) - barring Manaphy, which is a legendary though >.>
    .Signature moves / Forms are not necessarily restricted to legendaries, although many are exclusive to them (barring Gen III)
    .Does not have the 580 stat total (which is the minimum amount of stat total that every other legendary pokemons have); Normal = 440 / Appliance = 520

Oh The Places You'll Go.

Whatever will be, will be.
    Years
    I consider that little ball of sparks not a legendary, and not an ordinary Pokemon.
    Event would be the best way I could describe it.
    I think the only reason they added the Legendary Battle Music is because it should be classified as something special, and not something common to the wild grass/Old Chateau/etc.

Camisado

a therapeutic chain of events
    Years
    I guess it's special in that there's an event associated with it, but isn't that similar to Snorlax in RBY, Sudowoodo in GSC, Kecleon in RSE and even the Drifloon outside the Valley Windworks in DPPt? None of those are legendary.

Also, if you're arguing about the forms (I'm not putting an e in there, it looks stupid), I tend to associate it with Castform. Even though I guess it doesn't keep its new form after battle.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    I really dont care if it was considred a legendary or not. I'm going to love it because I'm a ghost lover. Anyways I dont consider it as a Legendary because most of the time, Nintendo never refered to Rotom as being a legend

:t354:TG

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    I think as most people will have said, I don't class Rotom as a Legendary Pokemon. As with fewer people, I also don't class it as an Event Pokemon. If anything, I just class it as an extremely rare Pokemon. Why? Because throughout the game, you can only catch one of them without having to resort to breeding. (which you can do with Rotom, by the way) This stands true for Riolu, (one Egg of Riolu from Riley) Spiritomb, on a technical basis (without digging up more Odd Keystones, there is only one possible for capture) and Drifloon. (only one per Friday every week)

I think some considered it a Legendary before the official confirmation because of the battle music, but were that the case Cresselia doesn't have that kind of music, so would that make her not a Legendary? The flaw in classing one as a Legendary or not snaps like a twig at the point you start using the battle music as justification. Its in a rather intimidating house, so why not give it a rather intimidating tune? That's the thought I have, when it comes to thinking about the choice of music used for Rotom.

Also to note, Rotom can breed to make itself, which no Legendary can do. (Manaphy doesn't count against that, because it breeds to make Phione)

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I think as most people will have said, I don't class Rotom as a Legendary Pokemon. As with fewer people, I also don't class it as an Event Pokemon. If anything, I just class it as an extremely rare Pokemon. Why? Because throughout the game, you can only catch one of them without having to resort to breeding. (which you can do with Rotom, by the way) This stands true for Riolu, (one Egg of Riolu from Riley) Spiritomb, on a technical basis (without digging up more Odd Keystones, there is only one possible for capture) and Drifloon. (only one per Friday every week)

I think some considered it a Legendary before the official confirmation because of the battle music, but were that the case Cresselia doesn't have that kind of music, so would that make her not a Legendary? The flaw in classing one as a Legendary or not snaps like a twig at the point you start using the battle music as justification. Its in a rather intimidating house, so why not give it a rather intimidating tune? That's the thought I have, when it comes to thinking about the choice of music used for Rotom.

Also to note, Rotom can breed to make itself, which no Legendary can do. (Manaphy doesn't count against that, because it breeds to make Phione)

I have to agree. The only reason why I would classify Rotom's formes as an event pokémon, is due to the reason that it is only obtainable with the Secret Key event. The Secret Key event was obtainable through Wi-fi and Toys R Us which is not just something regular in the game. However, that's only for Pokémon Platinum and so for Diamond and Pearl I would just call it a rare pokémon as I do with Spiritomb, Drifloon and some others.

In addition to Manaphy only becoming a Phione, the Phione cannot evolve into Manaphy whatsoever. If Phione did, then I guess we'd have a different story with Manaphy and Phione.

Back