• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Things in B/W that irritate you - discussion!

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
Years
  • To be fair Sooyun, I appreciate your defense of my favorite generation but a lot of the complaints that you're arguing against are valid. For example the pressing B to run, not all of us have an AR or want to use one. Same with Archeops, it's reasonable to like a Pokemon but dislike its ability without wanting to hack the game. If the complaint requires a hack to fix, then it's a reasonable complaint, and most of your solutions were merely "hack the game, play it on your computer, or play a modified version of it".

While I admit some of the 'fixes' I present only involve the use of cutting a couple of corners here and there, it does show (in a way) how trivial some of these complaints are. I mean, having to hold the B button to run? Seriously? Sure, the HGSS interface did alleviate that to an extent, but it's not like it ruins the game if you're not allowed to autorun (or maybe it's because I've played Sapphire on my (non-SP) GBA so I don't feel like it's the end of the world if I have to hold a button down for a while). As for the old Pokemon, the creators wanted to make the game seem like the first generation. It makes sense that the other 493 don't show up until post story. If they did, it would take away from the experience of reliving the first time we ever picked up our Gameboys. As for not liking Archeops' ability... Defeatist isn't that big a deal considering the base stats. It has pretty decent defense and sp. defense and ridiculous attack stats. If your only playing against the npc, even if you lose half your HP, you'd still have enough power to win (unless you're up against something it's weak against & your opponent is a natural tank). Maybe it's the old school 8-bit Pokemon player in me, but it's not the abilities/stats, or typings your team has/don't have that make or break them, it's how you work within each individual limitation to make a team that can work in tandem to your battle style. Do I like every Pokemon? No. Do I like every ability and moveset? No. Do I use Pokesav/gen to fix every flaw with my teams? Not really. The most I do is change genders or make them shiny. I only cheat when a Pokemon is beyond giving 5 Irons, etc. Other than that, it's simply a matter of changing plans. There are too many Pokemon to be hung up on a few that don't meet expectations. As for GTS and trading... Can't help anyone there. I don't trade, nor do I play competitively on a serious level, so I have no opinion on those issues. Can't complain about something I have little experience in.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    While I admit some of the 'fixes' I present only involve the use of cutting a couple of corners here and there, it does show (in a way) how trivial some of these complaints are. I mean, having to hold the B button to run? Seriously? Sure, the HGSS interface did alleviate that to an extent, but it's not like it ruins the game if you're not allowed to autorun (or maybe it's because I've played Sapphire on my (non-SP) GBA so I don't feel like it's the end of the world if I have to hold a button down for a while). As for the old Pokemon, the creators wanted to make the game seem like the first generation. It makes sense that the other 493 don't show up until post story. If they did, it would take away from the experience of reliving the first time we ever picked up our Gameboys. As for not liking Archeops' ability... Defeatist isn't that big a deal considering the base stats. It has pretty decent defense and sp. defense and ridiculous attack stats. If your only playing against the npc, even if you lose half your HP, you'd still have enough power to win (unless you're up against something it's weak against & your opponent is a natural tank). Maybe it's the old school 8-bit Pokemon player in me, but it's not the abilities/stats, or typings your team has/don't have that make or break them, it's how you work within each individual limitation to make a team that can work in tandem to your battle style. Do I like every Pokemon? No. Do I like every ability and moveset? No. Do I use Pokesav/gen to fix every flaw with my teams? Not really. The most I do is change genders or make them shiny. I only cheat when a Pokemon is beyond giving 5 Irons, etc. Other than that, it's simply a matter of changing plans. There are too many Pokemon to be hung up on a few that don't meet expectations. As for GTS and trading... Can't help anyone there. I don't trade, nor do I play competitively on a serious level, so I have no opinion on those issues. Can't complain about something I have little experience in.

Well, the thread is what irritates you, not what breaks the game and makes it impossible for you to play. xD Posting that an ability is irritating doesn't imply that they hate the game because of it, just that it...well, irritates them.

I agree on your opinion of the no having Pokemon beforehand thing, though. It's not the same as things like no Pokemon following you or the Musical not having enough features, things that seem like they should be fixed. It's something that they actively chose to do for a reason, and a good one I think. :3

SyngthaSuyeon

Years

• Well, the thread is what irritates you, not what breaks the game and makes it impossible for you to play. xD Posting that an ability is irritating doesn't imply that they hate the game because of it, just that it...well, irritates them.

I agree on your opinion of the no having Pokemon beforehand thing, though. It's not the same as things like no Pokemon following you or the Musical not having enough features, things that seem like they should be fixed. It's something that they actively chose to do for a reason, and a good one I think. :3

True, that's the point of this thread. But seriously, some things that annoy people are lulzy. :D Maybe it's because I have a high tolerance and see the big picture. I could care less about minute details if it's not game breaking.

SolWolf

This user is over 9000!
    Years
  • Not much irritates 'lil ol me. Oh wait, one thing does.

Tornadus. It's like trying to catch Latias/Latios/Mesprit all over again. -_-

Ashe1024

Pokemon Champion
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2011
    Cheren / Bianca.
    Whenever you go through a whole bunch of battles, and your pokemon are weak, you just want to get to town fast and get your guys healed up. NOPE.

Bianca didn't bother me as much as Cheren did. Especially Cheren right before victory road. He's all, "I know you're stronger than me, but I have to make sure you're ready for this, let's battle." I was like, are you serious? I've kicked you to the cub every time we've battled, and I'm clearly superior to you. Who are you to tell me we need to battle to make sure I'm ready for the Elite4/champion?

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
    Years
  • I think it stinks the feature from HeartGold and SoulSilver was removed that let you have your first slot Pokemon out of the ball walking with you. I liked the interactivity with your Pokemon. I'd like to see more of the emotions and interactivity with one's Pokemon in the games in general.

I also hope someday Pokemon battling become more like Super Smash Bros. style, except on a full 3D field rather than only being able to move forward and backward. I'd like it more freestyle, like the anime. I think the PokePark games are something to build off of, though the animation in the handhelds doesn't have to become 3D-style like the PokePark games.

I also wish you could visit the other regions, but then you can only cram so much into a little game cartridge.

SyngthaSuyeon

Years
  • I think it stinks the feature from HeartGold and SoulSilver was removed that let you have your first slot Pokemon out of the ball walking with you. I liked the interactivity with your Pokemon. I'd like to see more of the emotions and interactivity with one's Pokemon in the games in general.

I also hope someday Pokemon battling become more like Super Smash Bros. style, except on a full 3D field rather than only being able to move forward and backward. I'd like it more freestyle, like the anime. I think the PokePark games are something to build off of, though the animation in the handhelds doesn't have to become 3D-style like the PokePark games.

I also wish you could visit the other regions, but then you can only cram so much into a little game cartridge.

They were going for nostalgic feel, just like the first time you picked up Red/Green (first Pokemon games developed), so nope: No walking Pokemon sprites. Maybe they'll do it again one day, if not, oh well. As for visiting other regions: Not gonna happen. From a geographical standpoint, it wouldn't make much sense to add the other regions because Isshu/Unova is so far, that it requires a plane to get there.

Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh are all based upon real life Japan and are all located closely to one another. The only reason Kanto and Johto can be visited within one game is because they're part of the same landmass. Sinnoh and Hoenn are 2 separate islands.

Spoiler:

Unova/Isshu is a region based loosely on bits and pieces of the US. According to bulbapedia: It is far away from the four other large regions.

Spoiler:

People really need to give up on having all X amount of regions in one game. If we had all the regions, we'd probably get annoyed after a while because each new region would require a reset back to being a new trainer (a la Ash's Pikachu losing to a newb Snivy). Plus, the games aren't set in one time frame. Kanto and Hoenn take place at the same time. Sinnoh and Johto both take place 2 years after. Unova has yet to be determined, but based on the former Rocket grunt, I'm betting it takes place a year or two after Johto/Sinnoh.

Sorry for digressing. Hope I didn't derail the forum's main topic, OP. Just had to say something after seeing 'Y no all regions?' for the billionth time. It happens for every new handheld! I would say that annoys me about BW (and the other gens): Generation 2 fans wanting the 2 region format. Maybe if we're lucky, the 6th and 7th gens will have regions based on South America and/or Canada and they'll be connected to Isshu. Then will people stop complaining (temporarily)?

Actionhero112

Apply the lotion now!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Apr 13, 2012
    The level gradients are huge. I have friends that just stopped playing after the elite four the first time. I'm not a big fan of insane grinding in any game, so this made me die a little inside when I had to. Also, the amount of legendaries was just reuniclus ridiculous. Thats more of a personal issue. But whatever. No pokemon following me either. I fell in love with that mechanic in HG/SS. I was unhappy when it didn't carry on.

But this didn't stop me from buying 1 copy of black (for breeding and competitive battling) and one copy of white (for in game shenanigans)

I liked the game. But there were things that could have been done better imo.

SolWolf

This user is over 9000!
    Years
  • No pokemon following me either. I fell in love with that mechanic in HG/SS. I was unhappy when it didn't carry on.

Thanks for reminding me, that's a gripe I had. I was all pumped up about having my Espeon accompany me in Unova as well. Then my dreams were stomped on.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I got over the fact that the feature of having your Pokémon follow you wasn't included in the games, so that didn't really irritate me. One thing that did irritate me was how quickly the storyline went by. Every part went by rather quick, from first meeting Ghetsis and Team Plasma in Accumula Town to already foiling N's plan by the Elite Four (which seems like a long time but, it wasn't really). It seemed like there wasn't that much to do around the cities/towns which didn't make the game as enjoyable as I thought it would be.

Kylectro

Eevee Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2011
    The only things that annoyed me was not having my pokemon following behind me. Its a simple mechanic which was loved by so many and has no reason why it wasn't continued.

Also, just having to use the HM's again like cut & strength. They just annoy me. it's a waste of a pokemon's move set or even makes a pokemon a HM pokemon. I understand you need a HM to progress in certain parts, a next area or whatever but its still a nuisance.

And not entirely impressed with the gen. Copy paste edit jobs, such as Pidove, Timburr and Roggenrola. To obviously similar to Pidgey, Machop and Geodude etc.

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2011
    The lack of Battle Frontier, I hope the Grey version will come out with one, or at least the R/S remake.
    I mean, I need something to do while I'm not being awesome evolving a Pokemon. The Battle Subway just doesn't cut it.

Agreed, i miss the Battle Frontier too!

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • I found there were not enough unique pokemon before the elite 4. I couldn't beat them so I wanted to go back and catch some while grinding.. and.. well I think I just about caught them all :/ So it's boring ;_; So different from HeartGold..

Oh and I HAAATEEE The pokemon boxes!!!!!!!

Moltres Rider

Banned
    Years
  • I don't like the fact that when you go to use 'Fly" it doesn't show which Pokemon is using it before the shadow flying thing takes you to where you chose to fly to...

in SoulSilver at least it did show which Pokemon used Fly before the shadow flying thing took you... which makes it easier to picture me riding that Pokemon

Summersaurus

Rawrr ❤
    Years
  • They're not that big of a deal.. just so annoying.
    ❤ The time it takes going into buildings and starting battles with NPC's.
    When I'm using the Dowsing MCHN, I have to cancel it just to open the menu and always forget to use the item again
    ❤ All the times you have to battle Cheren and Bianca..
    ❤ I can't get Pikachu as my starter Pokémon.

Pingouin_7

the fact that i traded in my DSi for a 3DS and now i have worse graphics.
    i know it's DSi enhanced and all but really? i have an HD gaming system and i have blurry graphics?
    Why are you blaming the games?
    It happens with every single DS/i game.

Things that irked me
    Lame battle theme
    Lame wild pokemon battle theme
    Lame Champion theme (But awesome battle subway boss theme, it should have only been for Ingo and Emmet)
    Lame Rival theme and rivals (Although N was fantastic)
    Lame Gym leader theme
    Half of the pokemon this gen sucks (Although sme, like Scrafty, are good)
    Awful C-Gear(Only used it for in game how about never)
    Lame Victory Road (But good Music)
    Barely any other types of Pokemon (How many new poison, fire, ghost types did you see? How many of them were good?
    Lackluster tm's (They got rid of Drain punch! Ooh boy they must have added something bette- TM PECK! Trainer: Peck, when the heck in a battle will I use peck?
    I bet you can't even say why the music is lame.

I do not like the move Hurricane (since its effecting me in real life right now)
    It's not like Black and White are the reason why you are experiencing a hurricane.

• Forcing you to catch legendairies. At least coul dhave let us use them before e4.
    You just contradicted yourself.
    You don't want to be forced to catch the legendary Pokémon, but you want them to be obtainable earlier.
    That would mean you would want to catch the legendary Pokémon anyway.

2. Not being able to SR for Reshiram or Zekrom.
    You can SR for them.

I. The Pokemon Global Link. I didn't like having to use a website made for 6-year-olds to get a Shinx or Lotad. Plus, it's boring as all hell. And unlike the Pokewalker, it isn't fun in the least.

III. The region. Unova somehow managed to be even more bleak and boring than Sinnoh, and that's saying something. Plus, the Pokeball shaped island in the middle made the region seem unnatural.
    I completely agree with you on point I.
    However, for point III... How can you consider Sinnoh boring? It's the region with the most stuff to do, really.

- Having to challenge the Elite Four twice
    Yet you would still rebattle the Elite Four at least one more time later on, even if you weren't forced to.

To be fair Sooyun, I appreciate your defense of my favorite generation but a lot of the complaints that you're arguing against are valid. For example the pressing B to run, not all of us have an AR or want to use one. Same with Archeops, it's reasonable to like a Pokemon but dislike its ability without wanting to hack the game. If the complaint requires a hack to fix, then it's a reasonable complaint, and most of your solutions were merely "hack the game, play it on your computer, or play a modified version of it".
    This post just won the thread.

Gino Weinberg

Knight of Three
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2012
    I wish the storage box management interface was a bit more streamlined, but other than that I have no qualms.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    They were going for nostalgic feel, just like the first time you picked up Red/Green (first Pokemon games developed), so nope: No walking Pokemon sprites. Maybe they'll do it again one day, if not, oh well. As for visiting other regions: Not gonna happen. From a geographical standpoint, it wouldn't make much sense to add the other regions because Isshu/Unova is so far, that it requires a plane to get there.

These design decisions were influenced by a lack of time and resources to implement them (in particular they're rapidly finding that they don't have enough artists), rather than Game Freak coming to the bizarre conclusion that progress means removing new features from your older games that people liked.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    * Pokemon sprites looks really bad...
    * Some of the new pokemon are U-G-L-Y D:
    * Loads between entering houses

Years
  • It bothers me how the ice type pokemon feel like the developers almost forgot them and just stuck in a few in a last minute decision. Some of the sprites could stand to be better (I'm looking at you Beartic).

Back