• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things you believed were true, as a kid

Rocket-Brendon

The Pokemon Boy!!
    Years
    Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy. After watching the movie The Truman Show, I swore my life was also a tv show. I swear I heard people whisper my name or give me looks like they knew who I was.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
    I believed Santa Claus came through a chimney with Christmas presents (I think many of us did).
    He doesn't? o_O

The world is a nice place
    I believed as a kid that adults had the world figured out, that everyone around me knew how to navigate life.
    Boy, was I wrong.
    These are all myths guys, don't believe such stuff! -_-

I thought there were two moons
    Its possible to see two moons simultaneously. Just have two bald guys sit next to each other (this is a Hindi joke. In Hindi, the moon is called "chand", but it can also be used to refer to a baldie's noggin) ^_^.

If I was to pull a weird face and the wind blew, I'd be stuck looking like that forever. {XD}
    This is something one of my uncles used to say. I actually believed him & always kept a straight face whenever strong winds blew.

When I was 6, I believed there are other me in other dimensions.
    I still believe there might be other mes, in other dimensions {XD}.

Pika Pika :chu:

Reactions: Del

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I literally used to think every human on earth was born with male reproductive organs, and slowly through-out your life a select few of us would develop the female counterpart. I remember being about 4 and asking the guy my mom was dating at the time when he grew his... well, y'know. Female parts. That was also the day I learned it didn't work that way. Idk I think it was a product of being raised solely by a woman for most of my childhood years but that's beside the fact - I still find it hilarious.

Until I was about 20 I also believed keeping your eyes crossed for too long would make them stick like that. A little embarrassing when my girlfriend informed me otherwise.
    Kinda similar, my brother used to believe that everybody had male parts and one time when he was mad at me he kicked me in the crotch and when I didnt double over in pain he decided I was Jesus

HamtaroTumin

[font=avantgarde-demi][color=#379BBD]#WaitForTheRi
    Years
    Hey legendchu, are you talking about that Junior Horlicks or something like that??

So when I was kid(i am still a kid :p) I thought that the earth revolves because, there is two large column on each of North and South Pole and those poles rotates the earth with a large generator.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    The first thing off the top of my head is that my mom told me it was illegal to have on the light inside of the car during the night. She said it could blind the driver and get us pulled over. And I believed her. I only found out like a year or two ago that she made it up so that I wouldn't leave it on in the car lol. I still don't turn it on though because it left such an impression on me...

And lbr, it's annoying when it's on.

Wait you can do that? UGH I knew it was safe!

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
    Hey legendchu, are you talking about that Junior Horlicks or something like that??
    I just realized that when you say that word, it doesn't really sound that nice -_-

So when I was kid(i am still a kid :p) I thought that the earth revolves because, there is two large column on each of North and South Pole and those poles rotates the earth with a large generator.
    Really? o_O I thought that Earth rotates because it formed in the accretion disk of a cloud of hydrogen that collapsed down from mutual gravity and needed to conserve its angular momentum. It continues to spin because of inertia. Damn I should sue my teachers, everything they taught me was false.

Glad to see someone who had similar concept since childhood.
    I'd be really interesting if this was actually true. Imagine someone exactly like you in another dimension, doing the same thing as you are & even more interesting if you could actually see that person. No need for mirrors huh :P

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
    Years
    I'd be really interesting if this was actually true. Imagine someone exactly like you in another dimension, doing the same thing as you are & even more interesting if you could actually see that person. No need for mirrors huh :P

Exactly, omg! I have been always thinking that each action with, for instance if I fall into the ground other mes also fell but in different manners and places... etc, idk how did we even thaugh that to begin with... Maybe from movies dunno..

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
    I used to think that when you ate food, it traveled around your whole entire body, like through your blood vessels or something. The concept of the "digestive system" was completely beyond my four year old self.

I also used to think that if you dug a hole deep enough you'd come out on the other side of the planet (the classic "Dig a hole to China" type thing). I actually tried doing that but didn't get very far (the soil in our background is one step away from being rock, I swear. It's a miracle grass even grows on it).

A friend of mine, when she was really little, used to call her mom on the phone when her mom was on a business trip or just away for whatever reason, and say "Look at my new pajamas mom! See?" and hold out the phone. This was before any sort of video chat apps or even smart phones were a thing, so of course her mom couldn't actually see her pajamas. The friend told me her mom used to just play along and say "Oh they're beautiful honey!" or something like that.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
    Exactly, omg! I have been always thinking that each action with, for instance if I fall into the ground other mes also fell but in different manners and places... etc, idk how did we even thaugh that to begin with... Maybe from movies dunno..
    And how annoying would it be, if u fell on the ground, but u see ur other "me", falling on a comfortable mattress ^_^.

A friend of mine, when she was really little, used to call her mom on the phone when her mom was on a business trip or just away for whatever reason, and say "Look at my new pajamas mom! See?" and hold out the phone. This was before any sort of video chat apps or even smart phones were a thing, so of course her mom couldn't actually see her pajamas. The friend told me her mom used to just play along and say "Oh they're beautiful honey!" or something like that.
    As kids I think almost everybody might have done that at some point of time, I mean imagining that a person on the phone, or even or T.V. maybe, can actually see ur actions & react accordingly :P.

Reactions: Del

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
    As kids I think almost everybody might have done that at some point of time, I mean imagining that a person on the phone, or even or T.V. maybe, can actually see ur actions & react accordingly :P.

I still kind of do that with photos. It took me forever to be able to get changed in my room because there was a picture of my best friend on the wall and I didn't want him to see me.

(And by forever I mean I was 18 years old when I finally said "Dude, it's a piece of paper with ink on it, not some weird portal he can actually see you through... Right?")

JOBO

o/_\O
    Years
    When I was little (grade 1 or 2) I used to think that the toilet was connected directly to all the other water pipes in the house. I actually thought that if I used the tap or shower after flushing the toilet that the water would be dirty toilet water. I honestly have no idea how this got in my head, but it made me constantly worry about who was using the bathroom and whether I could use the tap or not...

When I was around the same age I believed that my dad was a giant. I told all my friends at school that he was a giant, as in a fairy tale giant. I guess my teachers got concerned because they called my parents and my mom had to sit me down and convince me that my dad is just tall and not actually a giant. He is 6'9 so it's sort of understandable looking back.

an illegible mess.

[i]i'll make [b]tiny changes[/b] to earth.[/i]
    Years
    i believed in a lot of weird things as a kid. i mean i believed the obvious santa claus and tooth fairy and closet monsters and all that. but one interesting thing i believed was that before i learned about the birds and the bees, i thought people got pregnant after they kissed each other lol. whenever my parents would try to like kiss me i'd avoid them at all costs because i thought i'd get pregnant. i was a strange child honestly. i'm pretty sure there were more weird things but i don't really remember them well.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    I used to believe sunny D was literal liquid sun in a bottle. I refused to drink it because I was afraid that the heat would hurt me.

Back