• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Thoughts on the 3rd generation?

Do you like R/S/E?

• Yes, its good

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Hell no they suck ****

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I am on the fence (middle)

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    I never had a problem with RSE because it introduce the Pokemon contest, more berries, each pokemon has their own icon and more. Generation three was great, I was hoping that they would of put Kan. and Joh. in it as well

:t354:TG

System!

HM....................... .....
    Years
    I dunno, I found the 3rd generation to be...rather dull. I just couldn't really get into it. I've restarted Sapphire a bunch of times because there's never really anything to do after beating the E4. And even though the FRLG games are remakes of the original RB games, which I enjoyed heartily (actually I only played Yellow, but it's the same thing, isn't it?), I couldn't really finish LG and I had to force myself through it.

I don't hate the 3rd Generation, I just found it to be a little on the dull side.

dutchmuffin77

...not dutch
    Years
    R/S/E are fun to play until you beat the elite four, and this is probably because there is really nothing to do after beating the elite four besides catching the other legendaries, unlike FR/LG which had islands you could explore afterwards.
    You could also use a vs seeker to find new opponents if you got bored of exploring.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    You must not play Emerald then. There is PLENTY to do after the "elite" 4. Battle Frontier is the main thing, which is far better than the in-game storyline/battles. Don't forget that in Emerald trainers will call you for rematches, including Gym Leaders.

Lt_Nite

GnR for life!
    Years
    When I initially played through I was not a big fan of it, didn't like the pokemon they seemed too, blah to me, but recently I've had this urge to play it and go through again. I wish I could find my emerald because I'd like to go through that instead but oh well. I do remember waiting for that Lilycove Department Store sale to get those sweet items for my secret base. :)

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
    Though I prefer the 2nd generation personally, 3rd gen was extremely good. Namely the music. I loved the music. Also some of the locations were just cool, like the one route with the ashes falling everywhere, Meteor Falls, and the underwater areas.

Dragonzord

Metagame x Metamon
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2012
    I love Fr Lg, but 4 some reason r/s/e never really did it for me. i mean, i liked them while i played them, but i dont really have any memories of em bsides trading with colo and fr/lg.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Well, I really liked the 2nd Gen/Johto. R/S/E are pain in the but. The gyms are totally underleveled.

Translator

I want a blog.
    Years
    Well, I think the 2nd Gen games are good but I think the 3rd Gen games made Pokemon more famous around the world because of the new features that was placed in R/S/E and in FR/LG.

The Red Chain

3rd generation was alright... I honestly never made it to the Elite Four.
    I just got bored and stopped playing.

I liked the whole idea of secret bases, and of course a whole new batch of Pokemon.
    The graphics improvement from 2nd generation games to the 3rd was a very pleasant sight. But even with those pros, I couldn't get myself to finish it..
    I didn't even like the small legendary of this generation, which is pretty bad.. [Jirachi]
    To put it simply, the 3rd generation games are pretty boring.

Last edited:
    Years
    3rd Gen has been growing on me. R/S really pissed me off when it came out because I was so disappointed you couldn't go back to Johto or Kanto, and because so many of the Pokémon were missing (along with the lamentable loss of the clock function). I played through Sapphire and beat the E4 but never really got into it as much as I had the previous two generations. When Emerald came out I gave it another shot and found it to be much better; the previously mentioned two issues still irked me, but there were a lot of improvements made upon the series IMO between G2 and G3 (i.e. Natures, abilities, new moves, general aesthetics, etc.), and I liked the setup of the cities and towns in the region (Fortree, Sootopolis, and Pacifidlog had more interesting setups than any town/city in Kanto or Johto). The Pokémon, including the legendaries and especially the starters (aside from Blaziken, who is the only one awesome enough to hang with the previous starters), were still not as interesting, and I kinda missed Team Rocket (wish they could have had them in there as well as the other two teams--it might have been crowded but they could have expanded the game to incorporate them, and it would have been more interesting), but I was starting to get to know them better, and in Emerald the two teams got interesting because you got to battle both of them.

FR/LG were both great games; I was disappointed at first because I had been under the impression that it was an entirely new game set in Kanto, rather than just a remake, but, again, it grew on me. Love the Sevii islands addition (although they should have added the Orange Islands from the anime), although they were a little too short for my liking, but it was cool playing through FR/LG with the upgrades G3 had been given...something that G2 is sorely lacking. I'd still take my Crystal over LG or Emerald any day, but it'd be sweet to have these other improvements in that game, as well.

Miss Soupy

o v e r d o s e
    Years
    The game itself was nice. I liked the gameplay, since you could now run. Secret bases were a nice addition. BUT, I wasn't a fan of the Pokemon themselves. Some had beautiful designs, while some looked a little forced in order to get another batch of 150 Pokemon.

RS had nothing to do after the Elite Four. Emerlad, I could stand. The Battle Frontier wasn't horrible, but it just wasn't my thing, since I'm the type of person who likes exploring in Pokemon.

Fourth generation is my least favorite, though. After the Elite Four in DP I just put the game down because I was bored out of my mind.

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2010
    I like how GSC is sort of a sequal to the original RBY. RSE just shot in there with no real previous explanation, they just decided to restart the pokemon world. I'm sure that RSE would have been more popular if they connected it with GSC and gave it a following storyline, also a return to Johto would have been nice. I really like Blaziken though, he is probably one of the best starters out there. He's up there with Typhlosion and Feraligatr two of my Favorite starters. Also its alot easier when you get a Combusken for the first gym cause you stand a chance that way.

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
    Generation 3 was a mixed bag for me.

Some of the music was good, even nostalgic, though the other half made me hold back tears of pain (the rival song made me want to get through the battle even faster!), the weather and double battles added more depth to the game, many of the pokemon (with some obvious exceptions, like Wynaut) had the odd Skarmory (which at first I thought was a generation 3 pokemon, never seeing one in Crystal before) style that didn't match up well with some other pokemon (if you saw Kyrogue or Groundon without any hint on what they were, would you think they were pokemon?), diving was one of the few fun things that a really missed from the generation, and Secret bases were... Meh to me.

All in all, I consider it somewhere in the middle.

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    I hated gen 3 >:
    i only liked it for FRLG actually, but Johto is where its at,
    RSE is my least favorite, It just never appealed the same as the others, it got boring for me really fast, And i stopped looking forward to new games since i didn't expect much from DPP Dx

I liked the Secret bases and being able to run, but it was really boring IMHO

Years
    I like how GSC is sort of a sequal to the original RBY. RSE just shot in there with no real previous explanation, they just decided to restart the pokemon world. I'm sure that RSE would have been more popular if they connected it with GSC and gave it a following storyline, also a return to Johto would have been nice. I really like Blaziken though, he is probably one of the best starters out there. He's up there with Typhlosion and Feraligatr two of my Favorite starters. Also its alot easier when you get a Combusken for the first gym cause you stand a chance that way.

I think you hit the nail on the head here for my problems with RSE...it wasn't a sequel, it was an entirely new game.

I also totally agree about Blaziken--it's one of the few G3 Pokémon that can hold its own with G1 and G2 in my opinion. :D

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    I liked the 3rd gen mainly because it was the gen where I got my first pokémon game. (Sapphire)
    I also liked the secret bases, diving, berries and all that.

Generation(which at first I thought was a generation 3 pokemon, never seeing one in Crystal before)

Didn't a Skarmory appear in Jhoto?

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
    I really didn't like 3rd Gen... I don't know why. I liked the storyline of R/S/E and having secret bases but otherwise it kind of sucked. xD My favorites will forever be G/S/C. Those were the last games where I actually knew all the Pokemon. Sapphire was the first game I played where I'd run into the grass and have to ask myself, "wtf is this thing?"

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
    Third generation was fine, but not the best. All the improvements made their way to fourth generation, instead.

Back