• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Thoughts on the 3rd generation?

Do you like R/S/E?

• Yes, its good

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Hell no they suck ****

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I am on the fence (middle)

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

Xenart

Organization XIII Member
    Years
    Somehow, I feel different than anyone else. I first played the Pokémon games by first trying out Ruby, then Sapphire. It's just that I love some of the Pokémon in the region.

Out of all, I love Hoenn the best, if I exclude Orre, however.

Same as this guy. Ruby was the first I got and I just seemed to like the pokemon in this game more then the others.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    To me the pokemon game series stopped at generation 3. The games were pretty cool, but some of the pokemon left alot to be desired. I may get flamed for saying this, but I think the standard dropped even further with 4th generation. Seriously, I only like a handfull of pokemon from the new games.

Slaking ftw.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
    I feel the 3rd Gen was ok. RSE were boring w. the exception of the Battle Frontier. FR/LG were good. I thought the Seviis and the behind the scenes info on the major characters was cool. Colosseum and XD (which always get forgotten as 3rd Gen Games) opened up 3D RPGs to the series. I think I just find that GSC had the best balance of the storyline and the continuity of the saga. You never hear abotu Team Rocket in newer games or how Red did after his quest in Kanto. RSE drifted from what the saga had been originally.

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
    Years
    I did find the 3rd generation a bit boring. The storyline, while a bit more original than Team Rocket taking over the world, was a bit nice, but it just seemed like all the opponent pokemon and wild pokemon were at a ridiculiously low level than in the other games. Perhaps it was because the excitment of more pokemon being released had gone away with Johto, or perhaps it was because the lame storylines bored me... I dunno. I rather did like some of the new pokemon. Absol, Feebas (not Milotic for some reason) and Manectric were a few I did like... Hmm... Guess it really was that excitement died out. I wasn't all that excited for a bunch of new pokemon for 4th gen. except for Riolu, Lucario and Buizel.

Inferno1

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    I liked the story line of RSE it is good i like the bad guys in RSE i ever think their the best bad guys yet. I even think that the gyms a tough and have a good element base. But to this day i still can't figure out but i hate about 50% of the pokemon in RSE. It just do i have no clue why i accually find it a stuggle to get 6 sometimes

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
    I never really liked the 3rd gen either. All the surfing and diving drove me crazy, and for some reason the graphics never really said "Pokemon game" to me. >_>" Don't get me wrong, some of my favorite Pokemon came out of Gen III, (Spoink/Grumpig <3 ) but I'll be perfectly happy with never picking up R/S/E ever again.

I'm not really including FR/LG in that at all, but the only thing I can really think of that bothered me was the way the girl looked. I know, I know, based on manga characters. Doesn't stop me from thinking how ugly that sprite was though. :x

Years
    RS Sprites= fugly. The gameplay is ok, but damn, the trainer/overworld/Pokemon sprites cause me stress... I guess they must have realised this for FR/LG, which had wicked Sprites, particularly trainers like Bruno and Green (Rival), Pokemon like Gyarados and Charizard, and the trainer overworld sprites. This could have been done in Emerald, though it'd probably stretch the ''3rd sister game'' concept a bit too far. All in all, GSC for the win (i know i havn't mentioned it yet but bleh). Killer music, great storyline, cool Pokemon, and no ridiculous diving. (Yeah, i get it, Hoenn's a watery region, now show me the goddamned Seafloor Cavern!!)

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2011
    i dont think there was as much to do after you finish the main quest of r/s/e and everything these was just felt like a regurgitation of the old games with a new skin.

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    Hoenn sucks hard, but it's the only Pokemon game I have, so whatever.

I still need to beat it. XD

slaughter077

Thread is Getting Way Bigger!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2014
    In fact, I just recently Purchased and Recieved a Japanese Crystal(With Box and Instructions), and am currently working on it.

2nd Gen has always been my favorite. Even if they Remake it, I'll probably still play the originals XD

I agree, 2nd gen was always my favorite *(*Revisit of Kanto FTW!!!)*
    But I still really enjoyed RSE.
    Not as much as FRLG, which I played much more, but alot.

crobatdeluxe

You can't be a legend...
    Years
    Gen III made just a little change in the pokemon world. Hoenn is my least liked region, bcoz:

1. It has no poison or bug gym or E4
    2. The only thing I like there is the match call and Battle Frontier.
    3. Morty is better than Phoebe.
    4. Karen is superior to Sidney.

Translator

I want a blog.
    Years
    Well, what I like about the 3rd Gen. Pokemon games particularly R/S/E is that the Gyms have mazes before you can go and battle the Gym Leader while the 1st and 2nd Gen. Pokemon games were pretty straight forward.

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2010
    Well, I've been a fan since the first game as well. And I somewhat agree with you that R/S/E was lacking to say the least, but as much as I hate to say it I feel like it needed to be there. If you ask me I say that game was rushed just a bit. Anyway, on to the topic at hand, I like the 3rd gen. This 3rd gen is like what I wanted R/S/E to be. And I like all the additions they've added. I just hated the fact that D/P doesn't have a fire type anywhere in the game. I'd complain more, but platinum fixed it all.

JezzaRules

Charmander Lover
    Years
    Least favorite obviously was the first gen.
    I have to say the third gen R/S/E was the best in terms of storyline (especially emerald).
    The only downside to R/S/E is the fact that it isn't big enough compared to 2nd gen G/S/E and 4th gen D/P/P

SooHee

Lame Trainer
    Years
    I think I'm one of the few that would say the R/S/E was my favorite out of all of them. I honestly don't know why but I liked it best.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 28, 2014
    I own Leaf Green, and Emerald. I enjoyed LF way more then emerald. I didnt mind emerald but I never completed the whole game. I stopped playing right before the 8th badge and never finshed. My brother did. 3rd generation definatly will never be as good as gen 1 and 2. They where so much better, and so that why I like LF :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2010
    I have to say, Gen3 is my favorite. I love the interface the best, the VS Finder was way better than the telephone, you could run, it looked the prettiest of the first three, and it added a whole bunch of interesting and useful pokemon.

I honestly didn't like Gen2 at all. Mostly I just thought all the new pokemon were random and unnecessary and tacked on just to make you have to work harder filling your new pokedex. There's honestly not a single new pokemon from that generation that I remember fondly - not that I hate them, just that I don't remember them.

Another problem was that I played in on my computer, and the emulator I used gave a "dead battery" message that, for whatever reason, meant that time didn't pass in the game. This made the whole night/day thing one giant frustration and almost made me quit. I'm not sure if it would have been compelling if I'd played it on an actual gameboy, but it seems completely unnecessary and merely designed to stretch things out even farther.

So - what did I miss, what made Gen2 so good for all you Gen2-lovers out there?

Back