• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Too Much Water...

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2015
    MarinoKadame : heh, that's international too. Websites from my country do the same.

But there has been a recent improvement, as reviewers started to rate much more harshly the last games of the Call of Duty series, because the 6th copy of the same game was the one water drop that was too much.

pkmin3033

Ha, IGN. I can't remember the last time I read a review of theirs that was completely objective and impartial. Evidently Nintendo didn't pay them enough money for a higher score.

I never really noticed the "too much water" complaint in R/S/E, and I doubt I'll notice it in ORAS either. I'll be too busy paying attention more important things, like how the game plays.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Considering how we now know surfing is faster here and there is a supposed lower encounter rate, yeah no, try harder next time IGN.

Brien

Epic Panda.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2017
    The water was my favorite part when I played ruby... but I guess it could get a tad tedious.

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
    Years
  • "Pokemon Anime; Orange Island Region - 7.8/10 'Too Much Water' -IGN"
    Wait, wrong thread, this is ORAS. (J/K)

In all honestly, I am...both angered and actually frustrated at this review. I mean, I actually watched their video on the review and I wanted to kill something. Seriously, no really! The Hoenn Region is a large island region, OF COURSE there is water. HOW is there too much water if you are in an island region!?

I believe Hoenn is based on a more tropical style region, since both there is limited ice areas (only two I think), and its an island in the ocean. Also, if it was a tropical region, that would explain all the various water types available. Did I say it also was an island? Good, I was just trying to get my message clear.

For years, IGN has always ALWAYS had low standards for me. Ever since the article about how Nintendo is going to bankrupt in 2013 was published; I really don't give two [censor for you know] about them or their reviews....but this? This? This is just unacceptable and I am glad their facebook page is being bombed by water jokes on everything. It makes me smile inside when I see that. (Seriously, go check it out, its comical.)

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
    Years
  • You do realize that IGN stands for "Ignorant Gamers Network" right?

They praise garbage like Call of Duty while throwing good series to the curb. It's a joke as far as journalism is concerned, and I don't go there or even seek out their opinions.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • I dont know why they think that much water is a bad thing, I loved to explore all hoenn surfing (with maxrepels), and the best part was dive in this long ocean
    Same here, Hoenn to me means land AND water. More water then in most games because that is the theme. I loved water exploration and am excited to see it in ORAS.
    I think the worst was something said about "Team Aqua has too many water Pokemon" just...-_-;;; What should they have, Graveler's? xD

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Same here, Hoenn to me means land AND water. More water then in most games because that is the theme. I loved water exploration and am excited to see it in ORAS.
    I think the worst was something said about "Team Aqua has too many water Pokemon" just...-_-;;; What should they have, Graveler's? xD

No, they should have Rattatas, Koffing and Golbat, and they should all dress in black and have a red R on their shirts.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    In my honest humble opinion, sailing the open seas with just my Pokemon was one of the greatest adventures Pokemon had to offer to me. Too much water? Nah. The amount of water and everything in it was just fine. You only have to go through it one time, then you can use Fly to get around; I don't know why people would complain about getting to surf across the sea without having to board a boat that would just take them to their destination. If anything, it offers a challenge, which the Pokemon games could greatly make use of.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    The water complaint is so overblown. Not saying it isn't a valid criticism, but the hyperbole surrounding it is pathetic. Do these people not complain about the excess caves in gen 1 and 4 too?

Regardless, the water is only towards the end game, and unlike caves, navigation is much easier (with the use of a map.) The path from Lilycove to Mossdeep is VERY linear, and all you need is a total of one Super Repel to not encounter any single wild Pokemon. Sootopolis City and Ever Grande are similarly easy with the map.

The IGN review is fine and fair, so is the water complaint. (Although putting it as a con is weird, and without context is pretty hilarious) It just annoys me when gen 3 gets degraded because of it, despite the games' tight design and pacing especially relative to the later games. Frankly I can think of much worse design choices in each gen than "water". It's hardly even gen 3's weakest point.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    I agree with taking off points for too much water. Or rather, how water was handled.

Yes, I get it. The game is supposed to be half land and half water and the balance of nature and all that.

But the issue that all Pokemon games suffer with water is that:
    a) Unlike land you can't just avoid running into wild Pokemon if you don't want to. Other than in caves, you can generally walk on mostly tiles that have a 0% encounter rate. So if you don't feel like dealing with wild Pokemon you can just take the path of least resistance.
    b) The water tiles are monotonous so its easier to forget where you are and how to get to where you're going. On land, you have an abundance of landmarks.
    c) Water tiles don't have as much diversity in the Pokemon that appear. After running into Tentacool for the billionth time in a day the water begins to lose its appeal.

GameFreak can solve all of those problems. If they made the water tiles transparent and made an effort to make visible structures under the surface of the water they could solve b. If they made it so that instead of random encounters you could see the wild Pokemon approaching you (similar to the Lumiose Badlands in X and Y) they could solve a. And solving c is self explanatory.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • The water complaint is so overblown. Not saying it isn't a valid criticism, but the hyperbole surrounding it is pathetic. Do these people not complain about the excess caves in gen 1 and 4 too?

Regardless, the water is only towards the end game, and unlike caves, navigation is much easier (with the use of a map.) The path from Lilycove to Mossdeep is VERY linear, and all you need is a total of one Super Repel to not encounter any single wild Pokemon. Sootopolis City and Ever Grande are similarly easy with the map.

The IGN review is fine and fair, so is the water complaint. (Although putting it as a con is weird, and without context is pretty hilarious) It just annoys me when gen 3 gets degraded because of it, despite the games' tight design and pacing especially relative to the later games. Frankly I can think of much worse design choices in each gen than "water". It's hardly even gen 3's weakest point.

The caves tend to be straightforward in Pokémon. The only cave I usually have trouble with is the Wayward Cave in Sinnoh, but, once you find Mira, the cave becomes very easy. Speaking of Sinnoh, the caves and forests in Sinnoh tend to give you NPC aid. In Iron Island Riley is by your side the whole time. The only really complex caves are Mt. Coronet and Victory Road.

1st gen didn't have "too many caves". I'd say it had just the right amount. Mt. Moon, Diglett's Cave, and Rock Tunnel are all straightforward. Seafoam Islands involves a puzzle, so it's less boring than all water. And Victory Road... is a cave in all regions. I'm surprised you complain about 1st gen's caves when Johto for example had more complex caves. The Whirl Islands, Mt. Mortar and Dark Cave weren't necessary to complete the game (in SS Whirl Islands is) but they were tougher to navigate than any of Kanto's caves.

Hoenn has a decent amount of caves, too. Meteor Falls, Fiery Path, Shoal Cave, and of course the underwater bits.

Water isn't Hoenn's only problem. Lavaridge is insignificant once you beat the gym, but to go back to the city you need either Fly or to climb and descend Mt. Chimney all over again. Poor design, when a story roadblock could've solved it. The two bikes are cool and all, but having to go back to Mauville to swap them everytime is horrible. Sinnoh solved this with the gear controls. Finally, Sootopolis is a creative idea for a city, but again you need Fly or Dive (and, with Dive, Surf) to reach it, which is impractical.

I'd say the problem everyone had with the water in Hoenn was a big reason why the following games didn't have much water at all.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • The caves tend to be straightforward in Pokémon. The only cave I usually have trouble with is the Wayward Cave in Sinnoh, but, once you find Mira, the cave becomes very easy. Speaking of Sinnoh, the caves and forests in Sinnoh tend to give you NPC aid. In Iron Island Riley is by your side the whole time. The only really complex caves are Mt. Coronet and Victory Road.

1st gen didn't have "too many caves". I'd say it had just the right amount. Mt. Moon, Diglett's Cave, and Rock Tunnel are all straightforward. Seafoam Islands involves a puzzle, so it's less boring than all water. And Victory Road... is a cave in all regions. I'm surprised you complain about 1st gen's caves when Johto for example had more complex caves. The Whirl Islands, Mt. Mortar and Dark Cave weren't necessary to complete the game (in SS Whirl Islands is) but they were tougher to navigate than any of Kanto's caves.

Hoenn has a decent amount of caves, too. Meteor Falls, Fiery Path, Shoal Cave, and of course the underwater bits.

Water isn't Hoenn's only problem. Lavaridge is insignificant once you beat the gym, but to go back to the city you need either Fly or to climb and descend Mt. Chimney all over again. Poor design, when a story roadblock could've solved it. The two bikes are cool and all, but having to go back to Mauville to swap them everytime is horrible. Sinnoh solved this with the gear controls. Finally, Sootopolis is a creative idea for a city, but again you need Fly or Dive (and, with Dive, Surf) to reach it, which is impractical.

I'd say the problem everyone had with the water in Hoenn was a big reason why the following games didn't have much water at all.

I don't think you need to go back to lavaridge after defeating the gym... But didn't the soar feature fix the problem you've listed? Same goes for sootopolis, but yes to access sootopolis first you must use the surf + dive combo.

About future regions without water: I wouldn't disagree with your argument, but there's also the fact that the other regions (Sinnoh and Kalos in particular) had near zero areas to surf on as well. Their real world counterparts are pretty much just that solid block of land as well. Again, it could be GF's choice to select such regions to avoid surfing - like you've said.

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    Too Much Water...

Too Much Water...

In all seriousness, I do find this a rather jarring complaint. Hoenn is a tropical region, we have two villainous teams who want to do something that'll affect the oceans and most of all, at least the third act of ORAS has 'too much water'. You're pretty much on land most of the time during the adventure.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • I guess the reviewer's thought in their mind that Water is such a restricted area, and that it can't be accessed without picking up a certain Pokemon that knows Surf. Well, just get a Water-type that knows Surf! Simple as that.

Back