• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Too Soon?

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
  • What do you mean Two Year gap?

There was a 19 month gap between B/W and B2/W2, and only a 12 month gap between B2/W2 and X/Y. This is actually a longer gap then the previous one.

Agreed. In general the production line of Pokégames has been sped up from gen 5 onwards and while I wasn't a huge fan of gen 5 I really loved X&Y, so I don't think this game will be awfully affected by the speed it's been/being produced at.

I think there's a risk of burnout between this and likely X&Y sequels in 2015, though! Not sure how I'd schedule the release of gen 6 and these remakes but it does feel a bit packed in to me.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2020
    Well, they did say it doesn't take as long to create the games as before, and they've been working for years on making the production process more clean and straight forward. Hence why we get worldwide releases rather than Japan first.

Plus, of course, they'll of been working on this game probably at least since X&Y were still in production.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Honestly, I think it's probably a different team with similar goals and both games were being worked on at the same time.

Years
  • I really hope they don't rush development, pokemon projects should be handled delicately imo, especially something like this that fans are invested in emotionally.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    I really hope they don't rush development, pokemon projects should be handled delicately imo, especially something like this that fans are invested in emotionally.

Don't mean to go too off-topic with this but I guess it kinda resonates with today's announcement—I recently ran into the article that your signature mentions and I couldn't help but smile at it.

"In time, the pocket monsters likely will be gone and forgotten like Power Rangers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. But right now, they're thriving with a new GameBoy cartridge coming out this month." CNN, October 14th 1999

Here's the original article in case anyone's curious. It's pretty cool to be able to look back at stories like these every once in a while. :)

Reactions: JP
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    No I don't think it's too soon.

People said X & Y came too soon but they were still great games. Not to mention Gamefreak is a big company, they can work on multiple projects at once.

I think it's a little presumptuous to assume because it's coming out a year after X & Y that it'll end up feeling rushed and of poor quality.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    No I don't think it's too soon.

People said X & Y came too soon but they were still great games. Not to mention Gamefreak is a big company, they can work on multiple projects at once.

I think it's a little presumptuous to assume because it's coming out a year after X & Y that it'll end up feeling rushed and of poor quality.

The thing that people fail to realise is the fact that we've mostly been getting a new game every year for quite a long while now.

Years
  • It's not too soon.... Hoenn fans waited for that remake since HG/SS.. (I'm glad it's for the 3DS and not the DS! )

If it doesn't take place in Kalos then it has nothing to do with the X&Y games.. X&Y seguel (or preguel) is coming in 2015 then... So it's cool!

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • It's too short. It should have been at least a year and a half. Pokemon may become like COD. Copy and paste with sins skin changes. Hopefully they won't do this for the next 10 or so years. I have high hopes!

Years
  • It's too short. It should have been at least a year and a half. Pokemon may become like COD. Copy and paste with sins skin changes. Hopefully they won't do this for the next 10 or so years. I have high hopes!

You do realise its a longer gap than between B/W2 and X/Y, right? That was almost exactly a year (There was a one, two week gap if I remember right).

Also, before you claim there was a lack of content in X/Y due to that short time period, remember that a lot of X/Y's development was spent on making 700+ fully 3D models, which is partly why other parts of the game are quite lacking. Now that they're all made (besides for a few new megas we'll probably get), there should be way more time to add some more content to this game).

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    It's too short. It should have been at least a year and a half. Pokemon may become like COD. Copy and paste with sins skin changes. Hopefully they won't do this for the next 10 or so years. I have high hopes!

Once again, Pokémon has always been like this. Yearly releases are absolutely not a foreign concept when it comes to Pokémon. We've been getting a new entry in the series every year for a very long time now.

JimRaz0r

JimRaz0r
    Years
  • I was expecting a Hoenn remake eventually but didn't think it would be the next games. I don't think this game would be rushed because if we look at FRLG and HGSS, they were only upgrades from the original adding even more than what they first had. I'm sure they will keep at least every normal Hoenn feature but possibly more. I'm so excited right now!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Typically, these games are in production for years, and have been said to be as such for previous releases by Game Freak (e.g. with HGSS, 3 years or so - Platinum was already released during that time). So I wouldn't worry about that too much. And as someone mentioned, this may well be done by the 'B team', the group behind HGSS and B2W2. That'd be good.

Not that it's an unusual pattern either. The first pair of games have always had less stuff than those following it within the same generation. Emerald to RS, Platinum to DP, etc. And here, if they are remakes then Emerald will be used as the base (like how Crystal stuff was in HGSS), and that was pretty good with side content (contests, battle frontier, secret bases...)

In terms of separation - look at the time line of releases. We generally have at most a 2 year gap between games, and 1 year is pretty common as well. Any financial troubles supposedly had by Nintendo isn't anywhere near bad enough for them to try and rush out games before they want to either, imo. Granted, I am a bit surprised we're getting a game this year, but it's only towards the end of the year, and 13 months since X&Y (and notably that was a worldwide release too) is a significant amount of time.

Besides, the game that'll follow this, whatever it is (e.g. 'Z')? Already being developed, I bet.

UB3R_N00B

I am UB3R_N00B! Watch me fail!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2014
    I am torn as ruby, sapphire and emerald were my favorite games and story but I also LOVED the story in X and Y and was really looking forward to a Z to switch Zygarde up a bit and feel the Kalos region expand a little. However they may still do a sequel to the X and Y games but I would have liked the Z first, then the remakes! It might be a totally new experience with different towns in ruby and sapphire and thats what I am hoping for but I doubt it, I feel it will be just added features, better graphics, better customizations, base customizations, etc. so I am happy to see a ruby and sapphire coming for 3DS but would have preferred a follow up to X and Y and waited another year or two for the remakes. Not complaining though as like I said, I am SUPER excited to pick both of these up as well!

Back