• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Too Soon?

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    I must say that I am a tad bit worried that it could be being rushed, but now as I think about it I can't picture gamefreak risking the problems of rushing a game like this. Also like many others have said above, there have been games released around a year after anothers release and it has been fine. I am just glad that this is finally coming :)

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Despite the positive reactions of many fans, and the original versions being over ten years old, do you think that AlphaSapphire and OmegaRuby are being released too early? There will only be a gap of 13 months between the release of XY and ASΩR, rather than the common two year gap. Is that enough time to produce a crisp and finished product? Or do you think the developers are being rushed? How do you think the gap between the last few major releases have affected those games?

Wow, you're the first person I've seen to use the "ASΩR" abbreviation. XD If Game Freak has streamlined the process of making new games without sacrificing quality, then I don't see a problem with more expedient releases of core series Pokemon games. I think a Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire remake has been long overdue, especially since the games are more than 10 years old and didn't get an anniversary-coinciding release (which doesn't matter too much; as long as the games exist, I don't really mind the release date), with Hoenn being the only region that still hasn't been rendered in 3D yet as of May 2014. Additionally, people will/may stop pining for "HOENN REMAKES" and go on to enjoy the other stuff that Pokemon has to offer as we wait. XD

You'll have to keep in mind, they were working on both B/W and HG/SS at the same time, and people are still going on about how great the remakes were. For all we know, they could've been working on ORAS for years now. And since it's already closing in on 11 years since the originals were released, I honestly think it's about time. Not to mention that people have been begging for this ever since the release of HG/SS, so I definitely don't think it's too soon :p

I'm not sure what to think of 2 teams working on concurrent Pokemon games... Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver, despite being remakes, were so awesome (and I haven't even played them yet) while Pokemon Black and White were so underwhelming (I'm speaking more in terms of added/removed features, here; derived from what I've read about both pairs of games). It seems like there was slight disconnect (like in terms of the touch-screen usage). I'm hoping that OR/AS prove to be stellar, though; hopefully, the 2 teams (?) coordinated and a lot of time went into proper development and not removing stuff unnecessarily.

Some of you are mentioning a lack of post game from XY. Do you think ASΩR will have the same fate? Or do you think the development of ASΩR are the reason why XY didn't have a great post game?

When did Pokémon games ever have a decent post-game? The Battle Frontier only counts as a semi-half-assed attempt, IMO.

I don't think XY post-game should be criticized too harshly (I made a lengthy post on this a while back XD), but it could've been improved; OR/AS development may have been something that detracted from dedicated post-game content in XY. Regarding OR/AS themselves, the presence of Pokemon Contests already means that OR/AS provide more post-game content than XY, and I doubt that Pokemon-amie will be removed due to all the work on it. OR/AS at the bare minimum needs to have a Battle Frontier for Hoenn like HG/SS did for Johto (there's no reason not to re-use Emerald's Battle Frontier resources, as this is the opportunity where such an action would make the most sense and wouldn't hurt) to satisfy "battling post-game" criteria, in my opinion. But given how people clamored for XY post-game, I'm anticipating that Game Freak will rectify this issue somehow with a little more content (not like much is needed; OR/AS will likely provide battling and Contest post-game).

Supposedly the B Team made HGSS and B2W2. Hopefully ORAS is the B2W2 of BW to XY in terms of quality.

This. (And that's interesting, because I think that B2W2 rectified a lot of flaws that BW themselves had).

Don't mean to go too off-topic with this but I guess it kinda resonates with today's announcement—I recently ran into the article that your signature mentions and I couldn't help but smile at it.

"In time, the pocket monsters likely will be gone and forgotten like Power Rangers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. But right now, they're thriving with a new GameBoy cartridge coming out this month." CNN, October 14th 1999

Here's the original article in case anyone's curious. It's pretty cool to be able to look back at stories like these every once in a while. :)

{XD} Even funnier is that all 3 of those franchises are still thriving in some way, shape, or form...all of them have a TV show running at the moment and 2 of the 3 (TMNT and Pokemon) have movies on the way for this year. XD

You do realise its a longer gap than between B/W2 and X/Y, right? That was almost exactly a year (There was a one, two week gap if I remember right).

Also, before you claim there was a lack of content in X/Y due to that short time period, remember that a lot of X/Y's development was spent on making 700+ fully 3D models, which is partly why other parts of the game are quite lacking. Now that they're all made (besides for a few new megas we'll probably get), there should be way more time to add some more content to this game).

Although it would've been nice if XY had "700+ models" and adequate post-game (Game Freak shouldn't be in any position to rush things), I can understand why XY was lacking in some areas (and not to mention that 700+ had battle animations and Pokemon-amie animations, in addition to the various move effects).. OR/AS seem on track to fix the "content" problem for Generation 6, though..

---

Personally, OR/AS had great timing (although really, the announcement could have been held off until E3 2014, where it could have been amazing) as my Emerald internal battery (for tracking clock-based events) just died recently, so revisiting an enhanced Hoenn with a working temporal function/battery mechanic will be nice (whenever that comes around XD).

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    There's a lack of post-game in X and Y, which is why I think a lot of people choose restart and replay it for once. At least I heard a lot of people say that they restarted their files to play it again at some point. There also doesn't seem to be a lot of DLC releasing for them either, which is what I thought would happen originally. Maybe they chose not to because they knew the remakes were re-launching, and wanted to give X and Y time to cool down.

Really, November is still a chunk of months away, and with no new X and Y content likely to come out before then, I think that most of us will be ready for a new game to play by then. xD

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • The fact that XY brought back fans who haven't played the games since the early 2000's, announcing Hoenn remakes seem too soon, because it was the exact same gen where they older fans stopped playing Pokemon, being the worst-selling gen in the series, so I fear the remakes will scare away those fans who just came back.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    The fact that XY brought back fans who haven't played the games since the early 2000's, announcing Hoenn remakes seem too soon, because it was the exact same gen where they older fans stopped playing Pokemon, being the worst-selling gen in the series, so I fear the remakes will scare away those fans who just came back.

Where are you getting these numbers from? Ruby/Sapphire were the most successful GBA games ever, sold a little more than Gold/Silver and I'm under the impression that they also sold more than D/P as well.

Nurse Joy

Would you like to rest your Pokémon?
    Years
  • I'm very happy and excited, but I would have been if they revealed it next year, as well. It's odd they released it this early; we had to wait a year between the reveal and when we could buy it.

They could have done so much more with X & Y to satiate their fans. Are they just gonna give up on it? I mean, what about the event legends!? And the Lati@site!? Will we ever get those? Will they be a part of OR and AS?

I'm sure it will look good, though. It has probably been in production since before October 2013. Who knows?

:2:

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • In a way yes, but I think Nintendo needs this. It might give them the extra financial push they needed, and I think everyone's more then ready for these games. For myself, XY went by, finished them in free time in under a month(didn't even bring it to work or transit) and have not done a thing with them all of 2014 except once when Pokebank was supposed to be working, and wasn't. The original RS/E games are very hard to obtain, due to bootlegs flooding the market like a plauge, the cost of real copies, and the batteries dieing. This week the battery on my Emerald finally went. (this makes me feel old ;w; lol jk)
    Nintendo is discontinuing the wifi for 4th/5th gen and real Pokemon from Hoenn will be harder then ever to get, and the actual original event Jirachi's and Deoxys(or Lati's but you can get them in game) will be very, very scarce after this. I'm glad they are doing this, I think Kalos and Hoenn go well together. :) They both have that "fresh, enjoyable" style about them. But maybe that's just me X3

Years
  • It might only seem like too soon since we're getting information and reveals in May but the game itself isn't set to come out until November, meaning there's still half a year to wait. I think 13 months is perfectly reasonable!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Where are you getting these numbers from? Ruby/Sapphire were the most successful GBA games ever, sold a little more than Gold/Silver and I'm under the impression that they also sold more than D/P as well.

Here's the sales chart from VGChartz:

PokemonGraph.png

Keep in mind that this is the latest chart I could find, so B2/W2 and XY aren't listed.

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
    Years
  • I think it's too late, they've should've done this a little while ago.

Oh well. X/Y got boring, so I'm ready for a new Pokemon game. And like others have said, this was probably being developed a little after/alongside X and Y. GF/Nintendo doesn't really announce games until they're almost finished (why would they set a release date from six months from now? :P)

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Eh...I'm on the fence. I feel its an appropriate time for a new game, even if its questionable on what the content is. I don't think Gen 6 will last too much longer with how quickly they are going through the games and with the very short release of Pokemon to bide the time. Maybe we'll end Gen 6 in another year or so so I think now's a pretty appropriate time to release the games.

Would hardly call them the worst-selling games… :p

In terms of main title releases for their generation, and as a generation set, they were the worse of the Pokemon titles. Though that wasn't completely their fault, they had two horrible systems to promote them.

I think RS are still bottom of the barrel in sales metrics even with Gens 5 and 6 added in....Gen 6 had an explosive start though so not really fair to compare. Depending on how the game gets marketed further, it could always happen again, be the bottom of the barrel for both main and supplementary titles. All depends on how well its designed, if the game isn't great it'll have nostalgia boom and then die very quickly, or if its marketed really crappy, it'll have a slow and painful death. Great marketing and great quality...they have a lot to live up to thanks to XY, they will hopefully surpass their originals.

Romaov

Orra
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2016
    Nope, I haven't touched X/Y since November... lol,Been on ACNL. I need something new to play along side SSB3DS.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I don't think it's too soon, they released HG/SS a year after Platinum and that was a fantastic game. I'm sure they've been working on it for longer than we'd expect. I think they will turn out just as great as we would want them to.

Years
  • It's definitely not too soon for me. Or my sister, or her boyfriend, who both play pokemon just as much as I do. We were all very ready for this, our DS's have been collecting dust because X and Y just got boring. We wore it out. I am surprised that we are learning about a new game so soon, sure. But it's a good surprise, a super awesome surprise. I am sooo ready, and it can't come soon enough!!! It will go on pre order as soon as it's possible!!

HoennTM

Will my hack be done soon? Probably not.
    Years
  • For all we know, the game could have been in development for many months now, and they just now made the announcement. I guess we'll just have to see until it actually comes out.

I don't know, when X/Y came out a lot of people thought it to be hoenn remake

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    It might be a bit too late seeing the amount of speculation that rose ever since the fifth gen. I think Game Freak wasn't planning on the remakes at first, but after seeing the increasing fanbase for it, they had to do something. Many people expected it in the fifth gen, like how GS and RG got their remakes after two generations.

It may be just a bit above two years, but you have to admit games are releasing much faster now, and this would be boosted by the worldwide launches.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
  • I think the Hoenn remakes came too late. It was supposed to be expected last gen but they decided to skip it since it acted as a filler Generation. Also now is the a more-than-perfect time since I expect news on a new game to come out now if not earlier. Also the actual games will be release worldwide like X and Y and only a 13 Months after XY's initial release last October.

Back