• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
  • So I'm gonna update every 4 badges, and include as much detail :'3 Not using sprites though .__. Silver UMC challenge Fire.

- Received Cyndaquil from Elm named him Neo.
    - Grinded him to Lv8
    - Met Mr. Pokemon and received my dex, stopped my rival etc.
    - Made my way through Sprite tower,
    - Whats this? Neo's evolving, LOLOLPRESSB
    - Battled the leader of the tower, won, Neo evolved into Neo. >>
    - Beat Falker,
    - Went through the cave thingy.
    - Beat Team Rocket
    - Beat Bugsy.
    - Beat my Rival.
    - Togepi hatched.
    - Caught a Paris HM Slave.
    - Got HM 01
    - Arrived in Goldenrod, Neo is Lv24
    - Ran up to Route 36 avoiding every trainer I could.
    - Caught Sydian the Vulpix <:
    - Grinded him to Lv22.
    - Beat Whitney.
    - Beat all those trainers and ended up in the ghost city.
    - Beat my rival
    - Caught a Magmar.
    - Grinded him up to Lv23
    - Defeated all the kimono sisters and received HM 03
    - Beat Morty.
    - Done everything else.
    - Arrived in Olivine.

Team;

Neo Lv27
    Ember
    Quick Attack
    Tackle
    Leer.

Sydian Lv26
    Confuse Ray
    Dig
    Ember
    Quick Attack.

Cole Lv26
    Fire Punch
    Thunder Punch
    Ember
    Smog

hazard master

Self Proclaimed Genius
    Years
  • Okay Ima start a ground challenge in fire red real soon.
    Sandslash + Nidoking + Rhydon = epic win

Edit: Part 1

Okay made my name Mono, picked Slav the Bulbasuar, lost to Blue, grinded, owned Brock, Caught Spikey the Nidoran, grinded in the forest, battled all the trainers I skipped, waltsed right through the cave making sure to obtain the moon stone, caught a geodude. I will evolve spikey once I beat Misty so that she doesn't get super effective hits on me. Double kicked my way into Bills house then turned him back to human. Misty here I come.
    Boom! Misty's done like like the Christmas, well, whatever you eat. Now fully evolved, Spikey is level 28 with Slav an HM slave and geodude kicker.

Wow, this is turning into more of a solo run than a monotype

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Kanto and Red

So with everything completed in Johto and the Elite Four defeated crowning me the Champion, what other than to head on over to Kanto and battle another handful of Gym Leaders, these Gym Leaders, obviously we're a mix of easy and hard!

Brock ~ The easiest gym leader in Kanto purely because of Jumpluff and Giga Drain, that and Ground & Rock types are very weak to grass type (x4) and ALL of his team we're 1 Hit K.Oed by Jumpluff giving me a clean sweep of a win instantly!

Misty ~ Again, another easy, speedy win thanks to Jumpluff and Giga Drain, almost 1 Hit K.Oed all her Pokémon, apart from Lapras which nearly got defeated in 1 hit but needed an extra Giga Drain

LT. Surge ~ This battle, although having some lower levels than other Gyms was infact harder than alot of the Gyms, mainly because Electric is super effective against Flying types, both, Pidgeot and Jumpluff delivered some damage but then fainted leaving it upto Ledian & Crobat who finished him off just by a little win.

Erika ~ Erika was another easy, quick win all thanks to Pidgeot and Wing Attack, obviously me having the advantage with Flying over Grass, Pidgeot with Wing Attack 1 Hit K.Oed ALL of Erikas Pokémon, no problem!

Janine ~ Although having the lowest Pokémon, I found Janine quite a struggle to beat, mainly because of Muk and Weezing with Toxic, Minimize and Sludge Bomb, she didn't manage to defeat any of my Pokémon but I didn't manage to 1 Hit K.O some of her team and took me quite a little bit to defeat Muk and Weezing, but eventually I defeated her.

Sabrina ~ Found her a little difficult with Psychic type Pokémon having high Sp. Atk & Sp. Def & Speed, she managed to knock out Jumpluff and Pidgeot and I didn't manage to 1 Hit K.O any of her Pokémon thanks to Reflect & Light Screen, but was able to finish off with Crobat using Bite & Wing Attack, Didn't need to use Ledian.

Blaine ~ Didn't manage to 1 Hit K.O any of her Pokémon, having said that it was a fairly easy battle, sustaining hardly any damage I was able to take down her Pokémon no trouble, only damage thaty I received was from Rapidash with Fury Attack but was able to finish off with Crobat.

Blue ~ The hardest Gym leader, and the longest Gym battle, he defeated half of my Pokémon, only Jumpluff and Pidgeot we're batteling, but won by a slight, Jumpluff & Pidgeot with hardly any HP left

Red

This was the hardest battle of all (obviously) and I admit it did take me several tries before I actually defeated, had a pain of a time with Snorlax and Espeon especially with my team being quite under leveled in the 60's and his team in the mid 70's reaching into early 80's but being the strongest trainer.. of all, I had alot of trouble batteling him and took a good few items before I could actually claim victory.

And thus my second part of my Flying UMC is over..

Now onto my favourite Region and game, Hoenn & Emerald!!

Victory against Red:

REDBEAT.jpg

The Final Team

PokemonCrystal_05.png

PokemonCrystal_07-1.png

PokemonCrystal_06.png

PokemonCrystal_08.png

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Well, I finished Normal on Silver (Tauros, Wigglytuff, Pidgeot), but I did it on my laptop, which is unable to connect to the internet, so I won't be able to provide the screenie for it until I go up to campus or something. If I forget I'll put it on a flashdrive and transfer it to my desktop. Moving on to Grass now.

Years
  • Progress ahoy! It's been a few days. Life's been hitting me hard lately.

-The shard hunt was succesful. Taught Machamp Ice and Thunder Punch
    -Also revived the cranidos fossil i found to use as a hm slave. replacing geodude.
    -Wake's gym was a cake walk thanks to thunder punch. His Quagsire almost beat me, but Infernape's Shadow Claw finished it off.
    -Ran Cynthia's errands (that she coulda done herself, since BOTH times she comes to talk to you once you've done it, so if she was heading there anaywas, why did i have to do it?) Anyways, her grandma gave me HM03, taught it to Bibarel, and headed to Canalave.
    -Beat My Rival. His Empoleon is actually kinda strong, it withstood a close combat and OHKO'd Infernape with Bubble beam.
    -Went to Iron Island, getting HM04 and the Riolu Egg from Riley.
    -Went through the motions of hatching the egg and raising Riolu's happiness by TM hunting and running other errands before going into the Canalave gym.
    -Gave Lucario the Exp.share once he evolved
    -Beat Byron
    -Flew to Pastoria, had the move relearner teach Lucario Dark Pulse
    -Beat the two galactic commanders at the lakes
    -Going to go back and grind lucario against all the trainers i skipped before heading up to snowpoint. But that can wait until tomorrow.

Current Team
    Spr_4p_392.png

Infernape (lvl 47)
    -Close Combat
    -Flamethrower
    -Brick Break
    -Shadow Claw
    Spr_4p_068.png

Machamp (lvl 46)
    -Ice Punch
    -Thunder Punch
    -Earthquake
    -Cross Chop
    Spr_4p_448.png

Lucario (Lvl 31)
    -Dark Pulse
    -Flash Cannon
    -Force Palm
    -Return

Hm Slaves
    Cranidos: Rock Smash, Strength
    Zubat: Defog, Fly
    Bibarel: Cut, Surf

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2016
    Poison UMC Johto leg Crystal

Small update.
    In Goldenrod, the first stop was the Name Rater. Fodder is now officially Docori II.
    Grinded Docori II to Lv22. Evolved to Ariados.
    Caught Lang (Nidoran Male)
    Grinded Daclus to Lv21. Apparently they don't evolve to Lv22 though.
    Grinded Lang to Lv16. He evolved.
    Grinded Conra to Lv18.
    I'm going to grind Tetrid II to Lv18 as well before fighting Whitney. Full update then.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012
    Update 1 for my Water type UMC:
    Spoiler:

hazard master

Self Proclaimed Genius
    Years
  • Blaine ~ Didn't manage to 1 Hit K.O any of her Pokémon, having said that it was a fairly easy battle, sustaining hardly any damage I was able to take down her Pokémon no trouble, only damage thaty I received was from Rapidash with Fury Attack but was able to finish off with Crobat.

I'm pretty sure Blaine is a guy XD

any way update 2:

travelled south from cerulean into vermillian beat the ship + blue, went into the diglett cave to try my hand at catching a Dugtrio. First try at a level 29 failed, thanks to poison point, but the second one, level 31, caught it in one. Lt. Surge's switches are very annoying. Any way beat him now I'm about to go to Rock Tunnel.

My team is:
    Spikey(Nidoking)
    level 35

The Many(Dugtrio)
    level 31

Slav(Ivysaur)
    Cut slave

Geodude
    ill use her someday... maybe... nah

And a question, does a UMC need to be RBY then GSC or can FRLG and HGSS be used for a UMC?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2013
    So far in my Fire Red Fire-only run, I have only a level 33 charmeleon. I have beaten both Brock and Misty.
    Pewter Gym: Beaten when Charmeleon was level 17, using Metal Claw.
    Cerulean Gym: Beaten when Charmeleon was level 31, using Mega Kick.

Now I need to find another Fire type.

Years
  • Normal UMC update

Alright.. continuing from mt. pyre, i found maxie stealing the blue orb, so i took the red orb and i, because or my ignorance, WALKED allll the way back to slateport. fun. I saw maxie and his grunt take the submarine and i made my way back over to lilycove city, catching a tropius on the way and flew. I found my rival at the supermarket place and slapped her around really quick. After that, i went to magmas base and beat them all and found the master ball. After i finished watching them leave, i left for mossdeep, and i entered the gym. After i realized how much stronger they are than me, i started to train with the reporters. At first, i was getting mad. But when they all hit 40, i just breezed through. Also, i was accumulating money so i could buy coins at the game corner and bought ice beam and flame thrower. I thought Kit-Kat could learn flame thrower, but i learned that she can't.. so i'm waiting till i see the rest of Amp's moves before i give it to him. After they all got to 45, i challenged tate and liza.

I started with Ziggy and Kit-Kat, Ziggy mashing them with surf and Kit-Kat using ice beam. After the solrock died, the lunatone finished Ziggy, so Amp had to help Kit-Kat finish it. an ice beam and hyper beam and the battle was over

I left the gym and healed up, then i went to stevens house and got dive from him. I also went to the fishing dudes house and got the super rod, where i got a sharpedo and wailmer. I taught them the required hms and went to sotopolis and the underwater cave. I quickly got through the cave and battled maxie, who died pretty easily. Then groundon awoke and archie came. we teleported out of the cave and i surfed back to mossdeep and grabbed tropius and flew to sotopolis. I entered the cave of orgin and got to groundons layer. I entered the battle with him and he took out both Ziggy and Kit-Kat. Luckily, they did a good amount of damage to him so Amp could finish it with hyper beam. I flew back to the fossil maniacs house nd got dig, following jdthebuds advice and giving it to zangoose. I battled the interviewers and got enough money to buy enough coins to buy thunderbolt, and i taught it to Kit-Kat. I flew back to sootopolis, and i entered the gym...

After getting through the mazes i was at wallace. I started with Ziggy and took his luvdic out with 2 headbutts. I did the same thing with his whiscash, taking a little bit more headbutts, and the same for his sealo, except the sealo actually gave me some damage. So when he sent out his seaking, i sent out my trump card, Kit-Kat and knocked it out. And, his final pokemon, Milotic, i paralyzed it first shot, and took about 3 more to finish it. Beat wallace. Almost done with this leg...

I went to victory road and made it past everything. I was about to leave, then wally showed up. I beat him easily, then started to grind to level 50, everyone got there except Slasher. I put Amp as my lead and entered the leagues doors.

Sydney was really easy. I just had amp use screech and brick break on all of his pokes and they fainted, except for his sharpedo, i had Kit-Kat use thunderbolt and it died in 2 shots

Phoebe was kind of difficult. She gave Kit-Kat some trouble with her first dusclops, so i switched and had Ziggy kill it. Her bannetes died by Kit-Kats faint attack, and sabeleye died by Amps earthquake. The last dusclops almost died to Kit-Kats faint attack, but it got the last hit on her, so Amp finished it with earthquake.

Glacia was pretty hard. She took down everyone except for Ziggy. I started with Amp using brick break, 2 shots for her first glaile. Then about 4 for her first sealo. I used Kit-Kat to take out her second sealo and Amp to take out the second glalie. I used screech to take out some of her walreins defense, and the walrein took out each of my pokes, them only getting one or 2 shots at it. It only had a small bit of health left, so Ziggy headbutted it, got a critical, and it was done. 3 down, 2 to go..

Draco was easy at first. Kit-Kat used ice beam and took out all of his pokemon in a few shots. Then she lost all of her pp, so i switched with my hm slave, sharpedo and gave her an ether, she finished flygon, then slamance came. She was already halfway down on health, and dragon claw killed her in one shot. So i tried to get my level 46 Slasher to use swords dance, but she wasnt fast enough, she was left with some health so i had revive Kit-Kat. After slasher fainted, i sent Kit-Kat back out, and she fainted first shot again. So Amp went out, revived, died. Ziggy, heal, left half way so he used headbutt and hit it once but died by dragon claw last turn, slamance was a little over halfway, so Kit-Kat used ice beam and finished it. Champs next!

Steven was brutal.. I constantly restarted because of bad starts.. I froze skarmory first turn, thankfully, so i used a couple thunderbolts and it died. His next pokemon was armaldo so i had Ziggy use a few surfs and it died.. of course i had to use a max ether since it healed, but it still died. Next was claydol. I had to use a max elixir for Kit-Kat to get some PP so i blasted it with ice beam. Next was aggron. Easy for Amp. Used 2 earthquakes and he was done. Easiest one to kill by far. He sent cradily next, it took so long for Kit-Kat to kill it since i had to constantly spam ice beam.. and metagross.. I used up almost all of my hyper potions so i could get him to start struggling. it took way to long, i was about to give up. and even when he was struggling he was killing me. Thankfully his extreme attack from meteor mash was his own demise. Thank god for recoil.

My Final Team

Ziggy/Linoone

Level 51

-Slash
    -Surf
    -Mud Sport
    -Headbutt

Ziggy was the most useful until the elite 4. He took out almost everything by himself. He shined against Wattson since he was the highest level and Wattson was total garbage. Even though he didn't fight much during the elite 4, he excelled when he was fighting. MVP of the adventure part.

Kit-Kat/Delcatty

Level 54

-Faint Attack
    -Ice Beam
    -Water Pulse
    -Thunderbolt

Kit-Kat started off slow, but when she evolved, she started to show what she could do. Especially when she learned the game corner tm's. If she didn't have those, it would've made the elite 4 much harder. She did great during the elite 4. I honestly didn't expect much from her. The main reason I got her was because of the pokémon adventures manga.

Amp/Exploud

Level 52

-Hyper Beam
    -Earthquake
    -Screech
    -Brick Break

Amp was excellent. When I started this run, it was between him, a whismur, and a slakoth. I chose whismur since its final evolution didn't waste a turn. He had excellent attack and took out mort of his opponents in a few shots. He did the best against the elite 4. He had the most action and was the strongest. The runner up was Kit-Kat, but he proved himself since he was in every battle and fainted at least one of their pokes. Elite 4 MVP

Slasher/Zangoose

Level 46

-Slash
    -Crush Claw
    -Sword Dance
    -Dig

Slasher did great for the second half of the gyms. He was able to take them out in one shot, with help of swords dance. He did great, but i didn't feel like training him for the elite 4. I wish i did. It probably would have made it 10 times easier. But he good overall. He doesn't get the LVP award, since they all did the good enough.

Finished all of the 3rd legs of my current challenges! Now, i can focus on my poison challenge on platinum, then continue my other ones after it. Where i am right now on my poison challenge, currently training at iron island. I might post a major update tonight, if I'm in the pokemon mood at all tonight.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • Update for Ultimate Monotype Challenge (Normal).

Update #4 on Platinum.

Started in Pastoria after beating Crasher Wake.

Spoiler:

Next up is the Galactic Warehouse/Headquarters.

Team Norma:
    Spr_4p_463.png

Linda the Lonely Lickilicky, ♀ - L45
    Ability: Oblivious
    Moves: Return, Me First, Rollout, Earthquake
    Spr_4p_468.png

Ace the Naive Togekiss, ♂ - L45
    Avility: Serene Grace
    Moves: Air Slash, Aura Sphere, Fly, Flamethrower
    Spr_4p_428.png

Lola the Lonely Lopunny, ♀ - L46
    Ability: Cute Charm
    Moves: Quick Attack, Jump Kick, Return, Dig
    Spr_4p_400_m.png

Beav the Hasty Bibarel, ♀ - L45
    Ability: Unaware
    Moves: Hyper Fang, Surf, Rollout, Super Fang
    Spr_4p_233.png

Matrix the Bold Porygon2 - L45
    Ability: Trace
    Moves: Discharge, Shadow Ball, Signal Beam, Recover

HM slave:
    Spr_4p_387.png

Twiggy the Turtwig, ♂ - L9 (Cut, Rock Smash, Strength, Rock Climb)

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2015
    On The Johto part of the challenge.

Started game and named self fooze
    Chose cyndaquil to make the rival battles fair.
    Caught a spinarak and caterpie as soon as I could.
    Trained spinarak mainly.
    Lost against gym and trained caterpie up
    Thatnks to flutter II(Caterpie-Butterfree)I easily beat the gym
    Traveled to Azalea town.
    Beat team rocket
    Web(Spinarak)Evolved.
    Challenged and beat gym.
    Taught my HM slave headbutt in forest and caught a Heracross(Terra) and Pineco(Edge)
    Deposited Flutter II
    Sped through forest and made it goldenrod
    Currently grinding my new pokemon.

Team Fooze

Web Lv. 24
    Shadow Sneak
    Fury Swipes
    Leech Life
    Poison Sting

Terra Lv. 9
    ------
    ------
    ------
    ------

Edge Lv.7
    -------
    -------
    -------
    -------

cutiecasie

The Kanto girl with attitude!
    Years
  • Well this looks like fun! Sign me up for an Ultimate run for Flying.
    I'll go in this order: Fire Red> Crystal> Emerald> Platinum> Black. (Might update later if I have the time)

WAILMERZ FOREVER

Ok. Sounds interesting...I'm gonna do a single-game run on Black with the GHOST type. Yup. First update gonna come soon! Oh, and I'm gonna have to hack one in since I have no means of trading cause my little brother is a big fat jerk meh.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • So I didn't update since the 4th badge, and now I've beaten Red D:

Well I took a Screenshot for every time one of Red's Pokemon bit the dust. :3

Spoiler:

So I didn't update since the 4th badge, and now I've beaten Red D:

Well I took a Screenshot for every time one of Red's Pokemon bit the dust. :3

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2013
    Thought That I would make a quick update on My Fire run of Fire Red.
    My Pokemon so far: Level 46 Charizard (Blaze), Level 23 Growlithe (Inferno), Level 25 Flareon (Firefox), and Oddish (HM slave)

Currently have 3 badges, and am training for taking on Erika in Celadon City.

hazard master

Self Proclaimed Genius
    Years
  • Fr/Lg can replace R/B/Y, and Hg/Ss can replace G/S/C. I dont do it that way, but it's allowed.

Okay thanks for the info. gunna make mah ground monotype ultimate now in this order FR->S->R->P

update 3: journied into the rock tunnel without flash, but not before catching a pidgey with the new name of Slav 2. he's mah new hm slave. rock tunnel without flash was not as tedious as I had expected. Only took me like 10 mins to find the exit. I owned Blue with Spikey mostly, but had to use The Many for backup when Spikey fell asleep.

Erika was easier than ever, mostly thanks to Horn Attack, or whatever its called. Stopped here, and the rocket base + Silph Co. + Saffron gym next time.

EDIT: just found out that sandshrew is NOT catchable in fire red. mah entire team is screwed unless I find a Cubone.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2013
    More updates on My Fire-only run of Fire Red!

Took out all of Silph Co. mainly with the help of my Growlithe and my Charizard.

Just got done kicking the crap out of Sabrina with my level 50 Arcanine and Bite.
    Next I will be moving onto Fuschia City and taking on Koga with My Flareon.

Also, once I am done with my Fire run, I am going to do a Ground only Run of Fire Red.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back